DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

In news that really kills my interest, but will likely make a lot of people here happy - Booker T is staying longer than thought on commentary for RAW, and will be there until the end of Summer.

It's not really a bad thing, but it beats having to listen to Otunga. Who, I'm sure is trying, but it's just not working. 

I know she's on another show, but really, I'd actually like to see Renee on the announce team. Or at least a female announcer (prefer my suggestion). Given that ESPN is doing this now with baseball and, I think, football too, it'd be quite nice. 

As long as they're not brow-beaten by Cole like everyone is now. Which, let's face it, isn't gonna happen. But, there's hope.  

See, I don't get that argument. The same case is being made on Reddit too, that Booker T is at least entertaining while Otunga is just bad. Where as I think Booker T is just flat out horrible, and Otunga is at least tolerable. Booker reminds me of Dusty Rhodes on commentary in the sense that he doesn't really bring anything to the desk besides catchphrases, quotable lines and jibberish, while leaving the real legwork to the other two guys sitting with him.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

Booker reminds me of Dusty Rhodes on commentary in the sense that he doesn't really bring anything to the desk besides catchphrases, quotable lines and jibberish,

Dusty was the best part of WCW Saturday Night, so i fail to see your argument.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Casey said:

See, I don't get that argument. The same case is being made on Reddit too, that Booker T is at least entertaining while Otunga is just bad. Where as I think Booker T is just flat out horrible, and Otunga is at least tolerable. Booker reminds me of Dusty Rhodes on commentary in the sense that he doesn't really bring anything to the desk besides catchphrases, quotable lines and jibberish, while leaving the real legwork to the other two guys sitting with him.

Dusty was part of arguably the best booth in history, and regularly sold the match, what's going on, and was way into the matches, especially when not normal things happened.  Booker isn't anywhere close to Dusty in the booth.

• Like 1

We've had this discussion before and I'm pretty sure no one agreed with me that Dusty was fucking awful at commentary, but to each their own I guess. It always seemed to me that he was just out there to hear his own voice and ignored everyone else at the desk. I remember watching some random crusierweight matches from, I don't know, Pro or Saturday Night, and he was unbearable.

• Like 2

I enjoy Dusty on commentary, but i wouldn't necessarily say he was good.  He was capable of adding something to the broadcast, but often... didn't.  I'd prefer him to Booker, as far as that goes.

I mostly find Otunga bland and inoffensive.  He's easy to ignore.  Booker is more of a distraction and tends to actively annoy me with his nonsense catch phrases and such.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

On a related note to Jericho/Piper, I like to occasionally ponder that John Cena is older than Arn Arnderson was when he wrestled his last match, by nearly two years at this point

Syncing up the Austin commentaries with the actual match videos is definitely doing the Lord's work, thumbs up

That is mindblowing. AA always looked 45... even in 1989.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I remember looking at wrestlers' birthdays and ages when I first got on the internet in the 90s and being shocked that Arn was barely older than guys like Hall, Nash and Sting. I had always thought he was around the same age as Flair.

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think Arn was born looking like a surly, middle-aged man. He came out hand first flashing the four fingers.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think Arn was born looking like a surly, middle-aged man. He came out hand first flashing the four fingers.

And when the doctor spanked him to get him crying, Arn hit him in the knee with a tire iron.

• Like 12

Maybe they can have a guy with a synthesizer load up some Dusty sound bytes and replace Otunga or JBL.

Groin shot while ref is down, DJ hits one key. "He kicked him in tha thang!"

The Street Fight they manage to have on RAW or SD every year some Christmas time? Well, under the tree, Santa stashed something special...

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

If you had told me this morning that I'd watch Gordon Solie commentating a hamburger eating contest, I wouldn't have believed you.

59 minutes ago, Sasha said:

If you had told me this morning that I'd watch Gordon Solie commentating a hamburger eating contest, I wouldn't have believed you.

The most bizarre part is the demon Billsderry doughboy. That was like something straight out of Pee Wee's Playhouse.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 11:23 PM, John Austin said:

I've heard of two instances where he was booked to wrestle, but didn't and only ended up doing meet and greets, one at NWA Smoky Mountain and the other for the promotion that had the Ric Flair wannabe, Paul Lee

Back in November 2016, he wrestled "Broken"  Matt Hardy at Wrestlecade if that's worth anything.

Cagematch.net indicates he's wrestled 24 matches since being released by the WWE.  He's mostly billed as "The Big Guy' in their results.

He legally changed his name to "Ryback", didn't he?  I assume WWE had previously copyrighted the name.  Anyone know how legally changing your name affects the trademark in a situation like this?

On 27/5/2017 at 9:40 PM, Phantom Lord said:

I remember in the middle of the Flair/Hennig feud, I think at Halloween Havoc 97 Flair did an insane (well for him) top rope to the floor double axe handle to Curt and he ended up fracturing his foot. But Flair was out for blood so it played in perfectly with the story.

Nothing says 'out for blood' like a double axe handle.

• Like 1