DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Damn. Piper worked a way safer style so I'm surprised Jericho hasn't retired already. Except, you know, wrestlers

Jericho is like Flair in that he's one of those guys who has never really had a major injury that I can think of. I remember Jericho had ankle issues towards the end of his WCW run but that's about it. Flair had some shoulder issues and I think an ankle injury in the late 90s but other than that, I don't think he was ever out for any extended period of time during his heyday. And it's not like Flair worked a super safe style either. He bumped around for a shit ton of big guys who were relatively green in the 80s.

22 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Is Ryback what passes for a bitter angry wrestler these days? Is he this generations Billy Jack Haynes?

I must have missed this.  What did Ryback do/say now?

I think Jericho will be back in some capacity, but it wouldn't surprise me if he only comes back with some sort of Brock deal (only work a couple ppv's, a little tv, the occasional high-profile house show).  Given his age, wouldn't surprise me if he never comes back for an extended run or works the road circuit again.  

I kinda want him to retire now.  Hopefully, he doesn't keep going and going, until he's in the same position Undertaker got in - too broken down to be entertaining.  And.... his last few stints (prior to this one) weren't all that entertaining.  He fell into some good material with AJ & Owens, but you can't count on Creative to keep that going.  Most of us miss him now.  How many people wanted him back on TV 18 months ago?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Piper had 2 new hips and a new pair of sunglasses by the time he was Jericho's age.

If he hadn't have insisted Keith David put on his only good pair, he could've avoided a fight and not needed a new one.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, zev said:

If he hadn't have insisted Keith David put on his only good pair, he could've avoided a fight and not needed a new one.

Either put on these glasses or start eating that trashcan.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I think Jericho will be back in some capacity, but it wouldn't surprise me if he only comes back with some sort of Brock deal (only work a couple ppv's, a little tv, the occasional high-profile house show).  Given his age, wouldn't surprise me if he never comes back for an extended run or works the road circuit again.  

I kinda want him to retire now.  Hopefully, he doesn't keep going and going, until he's in the same position Undertaker got in - too broken down to be entertaining.  And.... his last few stints (prior to this one) weren't all that entertaining.  He fell into some good material with AJ & Owens, but you can't count on Creative to keep that going.  Most of us miss him now.  How many people wanted him back on TV 18 months ago?

I'm fairly certain that Jericho is his own creative. 

Jericho's philosophy is that he's either all the way there, or all the way gone.  So if he's on TV and PPV, he's also doing the house shows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Jericho is like Flair in that he's one of those guys who has never really had a major injury that I can think of. I remember Jericho had ankle issues towards the end of his WCW run but that's about it. Flair had some shoulder issues and I think an ankle injury in the late 90s but other than that, I don't think he was ever out for any extended period of time during his heyday. And it's not like Flair worked a super safe style either. He bumped around for a shit ton of big guys who were relatively green in the 80s.

I remember in the middle of the Flair/Hennig feud, I think at Halloween Havoc 97 Flair did an insane (well for him) top rope to the floor double axe handle to Curt and he ended up fracturing his foot. But Flair was out for blood so it played in perfectly with the story.

On a related note to Jericho/Piper, I like to occasionally ponder that John Cena is older than Arn Arnderson was when he wrestled his last match, by nearly two years at this point

Syncing up the Austin commentaries with the actual match videos is definitely doing the Lord's work, thumbs up

• Like 1

Jericho won't retire without a big angle for it. He's such a Shawn Michaels fan I wouldn't be surprised if he has similar ideas for his last match, although I'm not sure who his opponent would be. All the guys who have lengthy histories with him are dead or retired or are on the outs with the 'E so maybe it would have to be Owens.

3 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Ryback did an interview where he said indy wrestlers are ruining wrestling

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Jericho's philosophy is that he's either all the way there, or all the way gone.  So if he's on TV and PPV, he's also doing the house shows.

Jericho and Batista talked about this a couple years ago. If they had their way, they'd only do house shows. 

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Jericho won't retire without a big angle for it. He's such a Shawn Michaels fan I wouldn't be surprised if he has similar ideas for his last match, although I'm not sure who his opponent would be. All the guys who have lengthy histories with him are dead or retired or are on the outs with the 'E so maybe it would have to be Owens.

Jericho has said his last match would be against Lance Storm. Storm has admitted this on his podcasts and tweets before. Which would be fine with me. 

• Like 1

In news that really kills my interest, but will likely make a lot of people here happy - Booker T is staying longer than thought on commentary for RAW, and will be there until the end of Summer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

No he isn't. He needs to be booked in the first place to be one.

I've heard of two instances where he was booked to wrestle, but didn't and only ended up doing meet and greets, one at NWA Smoky Mountain and the other for the promotion that had the Ric Flair wannabe, Paul Lee

10 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I agree with this. Jericho's best year since 2009. Go out on it.

Thanks to Chris extending his stay. I was able to see him in person for the first time at a RAW house show. Jericho was a highlight.