DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Someone who was an older/more avid viewer at the time may be able to correct me, but I was thinking recently that the Yoko and Mabel pushes are in some ways kinda the embodiment of Vince's thinking in that knew he needed to get away from the body guys because of the steroid trial, but he still clung to the philosophy of having the biggest guys possible on his tv

EDIT: Though I guess the Lex Express would be the only hole in this theory

Nah, they were just monster heels, and Vince's modus operandi has always been to build up monster heels to feed to top faces.

The unique thing about Yoko is that Vince put the strap on a monster heel for a significant amount of time. All the other examples from Bundy to Kamala to OMG to Mabel got fed directly to your Hogans and Takers and Diesels after their builds.

• Like 1

I don't understand this steroid argument with Jinder Mahal. Yeah, he's on the gas. So was all of my favorite wrestlers ever. So is probably more than half of the current locker room. I'm not going to point fingers because that's unfair but we have to be realistic. Some have already failed the wellness test. Some are probably using HGH or somehow escaping the random testing. We have a Universal Champion (remember him?) who was popped. Wasn't Roman Reigns caught last year or was that for something else?  

Point is, nobody in WWE cares. They've learned nothing from all the early deaths of the guys from the 80s and 90s. If you care that's great but they don't.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I don't know if I'd automatically assume an A-list actor is the best example of getting jacked naturally. There's almost as much gas in Hollywood as wrestling. This article's an interesting example: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-steroid-use-a-list-609091 

Pratt's almost as big as Big Dave here: 

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2-trailer-br

I don't mean to derail the thread, I've just found the HGH/steroid phenomenon in Hollywood fascinating, given that in other avenues (wrestling, baseball) it's led to government investigations. 

Budding high school actors are less inclined to take the same shortcuts as their A-list heroes?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Definitely Gerard Butler. 

It would fit. 300 came out in 2006, and Butler would have been cast/training for production 12-18 months before that. Jackman first appeared as Wolverine in 2000 with the first X-Men movie, so I don't think it's him.

I immediately assumed it was Christian Bale.  The guy was a goddamn skeleton in The Machinist and he bulked up to play shirtless Bruce Wayne kicking ass in Batman Begins in at absolutely most eighteen months.

Actually the Wiki on The Machinist says Bale had six months to go from near death to Batman.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 2:16 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What do you expect them to say? I'd say the same thing too if it means keeping myself out of hot water with the crazy old man behind the Jinder push.

Also, they were probably told "hey go on the twitter thing and say good things about Jinder"

5 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Also, they were probably told "hey go on the twitter thing and say good things about Jinder"

So why didn't everyone do it, then?

Is it really outside the realm of possibility that Jinder, in his years at the company, has made some friends that think he works hard and want to congratulate him on his achievement?

Found the wrestling connection in the article, darlin':

It comes as no surprise that few in the Hollywood spotlight admit to imbibing for fear of stigmatization. Oliver Stone, Nick Nolte and Dixie Carter -- who all extol the anti-aging benefits of HGH -- are among the exceptions. 

1 hour ago, Execproducer said:

They are referring to the late Dixie Carter.

Dead? I didn't even know she was sick!

I guess that's why she sold TNA.

Heeeyyyoooooo!!!!!!!!

Edited by joseph2112
To clear up which Dixie Carter I was talking about. @execproducer

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

So why didn't everyone do it, then?

Is it really outside the realm of possibility that Jinder, in his years at the company, has made some friends that think he works hard and want to congratulate him on his achievement?

I don't doubt that Jinder works hard, and despite my pokings on Twitter, I don't really care one way or the other if he's gassed or not.  I just don't think he's very good.

12 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

It would fit. 300 came out in 2006, and Butler would have been cast/training for production 12-18 months before that. Jackman first appeared as Wolverine in 2000 with the first X-Men movie, so I don't think it's him.

Jackman didn't get ripped until later, though.