DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The WWE is loading up the June13th episode of SDL as it is the last New Orleans show until Mania (well at least main roster)

Billed as TRIPLE MAIN EVENT~! they announced three rematches from Backlash

Orton vs. Jinder - title match

KO vs. AJ - title match

Nakamura vs. Ziggler

The first two make sense, but why in Hell would Nakamura/Ziggler get a rematch?

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The WWE is loading up the June13th episode of SDL as it is the last New Orleans show until Mania (well at least main roster)

Billed as TRIPLE MAIN EVENT~! they announced three rematches from Backlash

Orton vs. Jinder - title match

KO vs. AJ - title match

Nakamura vs. Ziggler

Backlash Backlash

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I thought the same with regards to Jinder being a good guy. If he's more dedicated to his craft now, then I hope he achieves, and he has, a great deal of success. I just think that success came way too fast.

By the way, if you want an example for what someone should look like if they do what Jinder says he did, then look at Chris Pratt. PrattPrattPratt went from pudgy Andy from Parks and Rec to being in great shape as Star-Lord over the course of a year. He did that by cutting out beer, pizza, and other junk food and hitting the gym 5 days a week. What he wound up looking like over a year or a little under a year was someone pretty muscular and not pudgy looking. Jinder in that same amount of time went from looking soft to looking like Scott Steiner-lite. You don't achieve that much mass and that vascular look with diet changes and exercise alone. At least not in that span of time.

I don't know if I'd automatically assume an A-list actor is the best example of getting jacked naturally. There's almost as much gas in Hollywood as wrestling. This article's an interesting example: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-steroid-use-a-list-609091 

Pratt's almost as big as Big Dave here: 

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2-trailer-br

I don't mean to derail the thread, I've just found the HGH/steroid phenomenon in Hollywood fascinating, given that in other avenues (wrestling, baseball) it's led to government investigations. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

That's a bit over the top - Jinder and the Singhs (new band!) are of Indian descent, just not "true-born".

This is a promoter who had two Puerto Ricans work a matador gimmick,  originally gave Kenzo Suzuki and Kaientai the names "Hirohito" and "Club Kamikaze," respectively, dressed Tony Atlas as Saba Simba, changed Rusev from Bulgarian to Russian because 'muricans apparently don't know the difference, turned a Samoan into a Japanese sumo, took three talented Mexican workers and gave them a landscaper gimmick, the list goes on and on.  Forgive me if I assume the worst.   

• Like 8

1 hour ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I don't know if I'd automatically assume an A-list actor is the best example of getting jacked naturally. There's almost as much gas in Hollywood as wrestling. This article's an interesting example: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-steroid-use-a-list-609091 

Pratt's almost as big as Big Dave here: 

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2-trailer-br

I don't mean to derail the thread, I've just found the HGH/steroid phenomenon in Hollywood fascinating, given that in other avenues (wrestling, baseball) it's led to government investigations. 

Roids in Hollywood probably wouldn't be seen as anything more than what Jack Pierce would do to make Lon Chaney grow fur & fangs.

• Like 2

Oh, no doubt @nate I think an inquiry into Hollywood steroid use would be stupid -- I also thought the baseball investigations were dumb and frivolous. I just find the rampant use of HGH and steroids in Hollywood fascinating, because those are so demonized in other areas of our culture, but people turn a blind eye to it in film. Hell, Rock left wrestling and got BIGGER in Hollywood. I should also note, I'm not accusing Pratt of steroid/HGH use: just saying that I evaluate Hollywood workouts with a healthy dose of skepticism. 

Now, compared to baseball, wrestling's steroid investigation, well...given the way labor is treated in wrestling, and the Dr. Zahorian angle, that was far more justified. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

This is a promoter who had two Puerto Ricans work a matador gimmick,  

There is bullfighting in Puerto Rico

And Rusev was never "turned Russian" he was always acknowledged as a Bulgarian who had relocated to Russia because he loved Putin.

took three talented Mexican workers and gave them a landscaper gimmick,

It was never a landscaper gimmick.  Their gimmick was that they were mocking American beliefs that Mexicans were only good for menial labour.  The subtlety of the gimmick kind of turned stereotypical, as have other subtle gimmicks (Hassan!).

Not that WWE hasn't had its fair share of racism, but these ones aren't a patch on "I choppy choppy your pee pee" or Brian Christopher calling TAKA Michinoku a "jap".

8 minutes ago, caley said:

There is bullfighting in Puerto Rico

And Rusev was never "turned Russian" he was always acknowledged as a Bulgarian who had relocated to Russia because he loved Putin.

It was never a landscaper gimmick.  Their gimmick was that they were mocking American beliefs that Mexicans were only good for menial labour.  The subtlety of the gimmick kind of turned stereotypical, as have other subtle gimmicks (Hassan!).

Not that WWE hasn't had its fair share of racism, but these ones aren't a patch on "I choppy choppy your pee pee" or Brian Christopher calling TAKA Michinoku a "jap".

KIND OF? They fucking rode out on a riding lawn mower.

Are we forgetting that they recently put the biggest title in the company on a 50 year old guy that hadn't worked in over a decade and is easily worse in the ring than Jinder?  There are less deserving wrestlers and worse ways this could have gone. Hell, at least Jinder is on the show every week and defends the title, unlike Brock.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Are we forgetting that they recently put the biggest title in the company on a 50 year old guy that hadn't worked in over a decade and is easily worse in the ring than Jinder?

Do you mean The Rock, or Batista? Or am I forgetting someone? 

• Like 1

Just now, AxB said:

Do you mean The Rock, or Batista? Or am I forgetting someone? 

I was referring to Goldberg and totally forgot about Rock and Batista's recent runs.  Those were dumber world title related booking decisions too, imo.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

KIND OF? They fucking rode out on a riding lawn mower.

That was part of the initial gimmick/satire.  They rode out on the tractor to mock Americans' line of thinking about what Mexicans were good for.  But instead of sticking with this line of thinking, they became the very parodies they were mocking.  Like Season 3 of Chappelle's Show.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, caley said:

That was part of the initial gimmick/satire.  They rode out on the tractor to mock Americans' line of thinking about what Mexicans were good for.  But instead of sticking with this line of thinking, they became the very parodies they were mocking.  Like Season 3 of Chappelle's Show.

WWE does this all the time. See: Hardcore Holly