DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

9 hours ago, KidNatural said:

It makes zero sense except for the Indian market. He's mediocre on the stick, is below average in ring and he screams wellness violation. He may be one of the bottom five WWE Champions of all time. The only person that I could think of off the top of my head who was worse was Khali and he also got part of his push because of the Indian market.

When he was re-signed, I was shocked much less this.

He doesn't deserve this. 

I actually now work with a number of Indians both in and out of the country (tech work!) and a few are actually wrestling fans, and I talked to them yesterday about Jinder winning the title - and it's not nearly as big a deal to them as you'd think.  The gist of it is that while Mahal and the Singh Bros are of Indian descent, they're not "Indians" - they're Canadians.  They're much more disposed to "one of their own" which is why Khali got so much positive press (and continues to do so - he runs a wrestling school in India that is churning out some very promising talent.  One of my former charges, Ethan HD, is the current head trainer and they're going like gangbusters.)

I'm not saying Jinder hasn't worked hard - wellness or not, you don't get a body like that by sitting around eating Ho-Hos - and this might be my old-man-yells-at-cloud tendencies again, but to me, the World title still means something and putting it on Jinder makes it look like a midcard title.  

Then again, it's on SmackDown, so it's not like WWE gives a fuck either way.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

About the "deserved" discussion. I think they actually mean it. Among pears he might be viewed as someone who worked very hard and caught a break. Still doesn't mean he should have the title. Nothing about Jinder screams champion. To be fair, there have been others to whom this statement applies. But with a title win but his one can't help but think about the great "Never"(not NEVER)-Champions of eras in the past. Even the JBL comparison is out there, "Bradshaw" was always portrayed as a serious asskicker and threat. Not as a main eventer, but as a guy who could give everyone a run for his money.

Jinder is Tiger Chung Lee winning the title in 86. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

God damn, for someone who couldn't stand Vince for 25+ years, he can sure take his money when offered.

Ricky deserves every dollar he can get from them and a million more.

• Like 9

I'm listening to Jericho's podcast with Jinder on there and he seems like a really guy.  He was drinking and eating a lot and felt like shit, then stopped drinking and got on a good meal plan.  I'm not saying he's not on something, but if he's turning his life around like he said then good for him.  Roids or not he is putting in the hard work, and it's hard to hate a guy who breaks down as soon as they get to the back.  So all in all good for him and I wish him personal and professional success.

That said going off of what Michael pointed out because Jinder and the Singhs are Canadian this won't matter as much as WWE would like.  While Khali is useless in the ring because he was actually from India it's easy to see why he's hugely popular.  I'm not certain if WWE scouted India, and if they did then I imagine they have people in the Performance Center.  Ideally it'd be best to wait until somebody from India works their way up and then you can put the belt on him.  But since they had to do it this year there weren't many viable options.  But I'll be curious to see if Jinder becomes the hit in India like they're hoping.  As long as people there don't know he's Canadian then it might work.

2 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Who in the holy mother of fuck is Manu? Reminds of the last time I regularly watched recent Lucha Underground episodes and it still took me forever to realize that PJ Black was Justin Gabriel, not because I didn't recognize him but rather I'd forgotten he ever existed to begin with. "Oh yeah, he was the flippy dude in Nexus for about five seconds, wasn't he? I'll be damned."

He was Afa's son who was briefly on the main roster in 2008 and was a founding member of Legacy before they became Orton flunkies. He was okay in the ring and showed some promise to improve and Orton got pissed at him for not paying dues. Which I found weird because Orton never worked anywhere but OVW and WWE. 

So he was released pretty quickly after a big debut. 

I would say he is Devito to Reigns Arnold. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I actually now work with a number of Indians both in and out of the country (tech work!) and a few are actually wrestling fans, and I talked to them yesterday about Jinder winning the title - and it's not nearly as big a deal to them as you'd think.  The gist of it is that while Mahal and the Singh Bros are of Indian descent, they're not "Indians" - they're Canadians.  They're much more disposed to "one of their own" which is why Khali got so much positive press (and continues to do so - he runs a wrestling school in India that is churning out some very promising talent.  One of my former charges, Ethan HD, is the current head trainer and they're going like gangbusters.)

I'm not saying Jinder hasn't worked hard - wellness or not, you don't get a body like that by sitting around eating Ho-Hos - and this might be my old-man-yells-at-cloud tendencies again, but to me, the World title still means something and putting it on Jinder makes it look like a midcard title.  

Vince is tone-deaf to non-white issues and thinks "foreign" fans will get behind any "foreigner" he presents as their champion?  Who could have ever called that?  I can't wait for him to turn Hideo Itami Chinese to try to get a foothold there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Vince is tone-deaf to non-white issues and thinks "foreign" fans will get behind any "foreigner" he presents as their champion?  Who could have ever called that?  I can't wait for him to turn Hideo Itami Chinese to try to get a foothold there.

That's a bit over the top - Jinder and the Singhs (new band!) are of Indian descent, just not "true-born".

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What do you expect them to say? I'd say the same thing too if it means keeping myself out of hot water with the crazy old man behind the Jinder push.

Say nothing.  Others did, and you have the built-in excuse of him being a heel who won the title in controversial fashion to just not say anything.  But the fact that many were excited for him tells me and even a couple specifically said he deserves it is my counter-point to KidNatural saying "He doesn't deserve it."  Maybe by our standards as wrestling fans, he doesn't deserve it, but by the standards of a number of people who worked with him, he did.

9 hours ago, KidNatural said:

Wait... There's a difference between being a nice guy who works hard and someone who has the ability to be the best in his field. If Jinder was in the NBA, he'd be a DNP coach's decision a lot. He isn't main event material. It may end up being a freezing cold take later, but nothing about Jinder says top of the card.

And look at the wrestlers that @caley posted... Sheamus is the only one that's in that group that is at a high level. Peyton Royce is very good too... But you're gonna post a tweet by James Ellsworth and make it seem that Jinder Mahal is world championship material? C'mon now...

I think the list of wrestlers who posted was very telling, a veritable list of wrestlers who are, as you say DNP coach's decision.  For all the wrestlers/fans who talk about glass ceilings; guys like Cesaro, Zayn, etc. etc. are on the show every week, in fairly prominent matches getting title runs.  The guys and gals who were excited for Jinder were people in his station, on TV occasionally, rarely getting title shots, who see someone who worked hard and got the big break.

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Though, a counter-point would be that a quick scan of the ol' Twitter finds A LOT of Indian/Punjabi-descent fans who are super excited about Mahal winning the title.

37 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm listening to Jericho's podcast with Jinder on there and he seems like a really guy.  He was drinking and eating a lot and felt like shit, then stopped drinking and got on a good meal plan.  I'm not saying he's not on something, but if he's turning his life around like he said then good for him.  Roids or not he is putting in the hard work, and it's hard to hate a guy who breaks down as soon as they get to the back.  So all in all good for him and I wish him personal and professional success.

This is my favourite thing, everyone getting mad at him winning the title while allegedly being on steroids.  I mean, are we gonna pretend like there's been a world champion in WWE in the last however many years that wasn't on something?!  I mean, Brock Lesnar actually FAILED a drug test for UFC while a contracted WWE wrestler but no one ever says "He only got where he is because of steroids".  I mean, sure he was a decent wrestler (at one point, that point is not now) but do you think he ever gets the mega-push in WWE if he doesn't show up looking like this?!
lesnar2.jpg

And do you think there's any way that's any way shape or form a perfectly natural build?  No, of course not.  It's something you basically have to accept if you're going to be a fan of WWE, there's probably a lot of chemically-enhanced bodies.  So suddenly picking on one guy for it seems nuts to me.

I'm not even a big fan of Mahal's, honestly.  Just a week or so back I lamented the fact that his main event push likely wasn't going to work because he really only has 4-5 moves in his arsenal and 2 or 3 of them are variations of the big boot.  But I just think it's funny that people have been complaining on here for so long about things being predictable, about WWE going back to the same 2-3 guys over and over and over, and then when they do go outside the box with a surprise champion, there's all this hand-wringing because he hasn't "earned it" (Which is bullshit, really.  Any wrestler who has been wrestling for 10-15+ years, knowing what it does to the human body, has "earned it"), or is allegedly taking steroids (Despite everyone likely doing the same) or because it's the wrong guy.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I thought the same with regards to Jinder being a good guy. If he's more dedicated to his craft now, then I hope he achieves, and he has, a great deal of success. I just think that success came way too fast.

By the way, if you want an example for what someone should look like if they do what Jinder says he did, then look at Chris Pratt. PrattPrattPratt went from pudgy Andy from Parks and Rec to being in great shape as Star-Lord over the course of a year. He did that by cutting out beer, pizza, and other junk food and hitting the gym 5 days a week. What he wound up looking like over a year or a little under a year was someone pretty muscular and not pudgy looking. Jinder in that same amount of time went from looking soft to looking like Scott Steiner-lite. You don't achieve that much mass and that vascular look with diet changes and exercise alone. At least not in that span of time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, caley said:

I mean, Brock Lesnar actually FAILED a drug test for UFC while a contracted WWE wrestler but no one ever says "He only got where he is because of steroids".  I mean, sure he was a decent wrestler (at one point, that point is not now) but do you think he ever gets the mega-push in WWE if he doesn't show up looking like this?!

When he looked like that, he was not decent, he was great.  Are you going to say Jinder is just like Hulk Hogan or the Ultimate Warrior. There is a talent/charisma component to this. 

Its not that Jinder is on steroids (which I don't care about either way) its that he brings nothing else to the table. 

I'm far from the pulse, but I don't see this being anything beyond an oddity in two years.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sure glad I looked that up at work :blink:

Sorry to derail the thread again: I have no idea what that is, but I was referring to the Jinder looking like Luis Guzman posts, more specifically his character in the movie Waiting. Definitely don't Google it at work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Victator said:

He was Afa's son who was briefly on the main roster in 2008 and was a founding member of Legacy before they became Orton flunkies. He was okay in the ring and showed some promise to improve and Orton got pissed at him for not paying dues. Which I found weird because Orton never worked anywhere but OVW and WWE. 

So he was released pretty quickly after a big debut. 

I would say he is Devito to Reigns Arnold. 

Okay, now I remember him. He really was on the main roster about five seconds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Also, if the Punjabi Celebration doesn't involve copious amounts of colored powder, WWE can go fuck itself.

Now that I think about it, for his entrance, Jinder should do the LeBron powder thing except with colored Holi powder. Genius comment, Sweetser. 

• Like 1

The Jinder push and title win is one of those things WWE is trying to get you to accept at face value but doesn't make a lot of sense. You can do all sorts of stuff with editing and backstage vignettes. You have an entire small studio set up in Florida that serves as a wrestling test kitchen. It's hard to understand why you can't both present Jinder as a big deal to Indian audiences and not have him as an undeserving champion on a U.S. tv show.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The WWE is loading up the June13th episode of SDL as it is the last New Orleans show until Mania (well at least main roster)

Billed as TRIPLE MAIN EVENT~! they announced three rematches from Backlash

Orton vs. Jinder - title match

KO vs. AJ - title match

Nakamura vs. Ziggler

The first two make sense, but why in Hell would Nakamura/Ziggler get a rematch?

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The WWE is loading up the June13th episode of SDL as it is the last New Orleans show until Mania (well at least main roster)

Billed as TRIPLE MAIN EVENT~! they announced three rematches from Backlash

Orton vs. Jinder - title match

KO vs. AJ - title match

Nakamura vs. Ziggler

Backlash Backlash

• Like 1