DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

6 hours ago, Zartan said:

Aces and 8's had Ken Anderson jerking off a foaming beer bottle. 

Throwing out the Triple Threat as an actual good group that never had that kind of crap. 

Both incarnations of the Triple Threat are better than Aces and Eights. 

On 5/20/2017 at 8:58 AM, CreativeControl said:

WWE was running an interesting poll on which member of the Klique has had the most influence on wrestling and I couldn't decide on Triple H or HBK.

HHHs influence is calculated. Shawns influence is far more accidental. You could argue that HHH only exists because Shawn wanted a sober person around who didn't mind driving. The screwjob happened cause Shawn was being an insufferable shit. Vince sends him home and he opens a wrestling school he isn't particularly dedicated to. Out comes Bryan/Kendrick. 

You could easily comes up with a top ten list of ways Shawn unintentionally changed the course of wrestling history. I don't know that you could even have a list for HHH.   

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Zartan said:

Aces and 8's had Ken Anderson jerking off a foaming beer bottle. 

Throwing out the Triple Threat as an actual good group that never had that kind of crap. 

Triple Threat gets overlooked because everyone hates Shane Douglas, but he really was great as a heel in ECW. Unfortunately everyone remembers him more as broken down in WCW and as a sleazy scummy promoter.

10 hours ago, caley said:

So, I was at 7-11 tonight and noticed they have new WWE slurpee cups and they have the weirdest selection: Ultimate Warrior, Steve Austin, The Undertaker, New Day, Enzo/Cass and Sasha Banks.

A Jinder Slurpee cup would make all the sense in the world.

• Like 4

Man, the Aces & Eights were awful.  A biker gang where only maybe 3 of the members even knew how to ride a motorcycle.  The member reveals took forever and each one was more of a "Really, this guy?" reaction rather than an "Oh, shit, this guy!" reaction.  They had a SECRET clubhouse which was located right next to the Impact Zone at Universal.  Nobody could figure out where they were coming from until Kurt Angle decided to just follow them one night.  The leader was just a mark for SOA and wanted to wear a vest so he could pretend to be cool.  They put Taz in and he became the most obnoxious color commentator imaginable and kept teasing riding in the sidecar with Bully knowing full well that Bully didn't know how to ride a motorcycle and that his fatass wasn't going to fit in any sidecar either.  House show biz deader than usual with Bully on top of the card and also running things with Jarrett out of the picture.  Story just kept limping along until Anderson ended it instead of Styles.  At least Hogan didn't end up winning the World Title which was probably the original plan.

Shit, even Don West trying to liquidate the A&8s merch is pretty tame.

The Bullet Club are better but they're still super lame.  They're like the NWO if you thought what the NWO really needed was a dozen Vincents.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, caley said:

So, I was at 7-11 tonight and noticed they have new WWE slurpee cups and they have the weirdest selection: Ultimate Warrior, Steve Austin, The Undertaker, New Day, Enzo/Cass and Sasha Banks.

Where do you live? I saw a couple weeks or so ago that Canadian 7-11's had them, but I hadn't seen them in either of the 7-11's in town here.

2 hours ago, BEN! said:

The Bullet Club are better but they're still super lame.  They're like the NWO if you thought what the NWO really needed was a dozen Vincents

They really need a Scott Norton and maybe a Michael Wallstreet to give them some cred.

The Bullet Club made sense when it was "The Real Shooter" Prince Devitt and "Machine Gun" Karl Anderson, now it's like what? Why are you a Bullet Club? The leader is a janitor, why not be The Mop Club?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Triple Threat gets overlooked because everyone hates Shane Douglas, but he really was great as a heel in ECW. Unfortunately everyone remembers him more as broken down in WCW and as a sleazy scummy promoter.

I think it's more because ECW, and the Douglas thing was more of him being injured and champ for so long but I do agree when he was making a point and not just swearing for the sake of swearing he was a damn good mouthpiece for the group. 

Ben pretty much summed up the Aces and Eights well enough that it's definitely already been talked about too much in a best stables discussion but I have to throw out there I think the Sons of Anarchy thing holds less influence then people think on what was clearly more of Hogan/Bischoff's self masturbatory biker loving hog wild type bullshit. 

Though I actually enjoyed Hog Wild for the uniqueness which is something "TNA biker nwo Vincent" never had. 

2 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Where do you live? I saw a couple weeks or so ago that Canadian 7-11's had them, but I hadn't seen them in either of the 7-11's in town here.

I live in Canada, so it must be a Canadian deal!

• Like 1

Aces and Eights definitely had Bischoff all over it, thinking about Hog/Road Wild and that God awful "reality show" Devil's Ride that he and Jason Hervey produced back in 2011 or 2012. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bubba had anything to do with the aesthetics-- he's a big Black Label Society fan, so I could see him embracing the pseudo-biker motif as well.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Aces and Eights definitely had Bischoff all over it, thinking about Hog/Road Wild and that God awful "reality show" Devil's Ride that he and Jason Hervey produced back in 2011 or 2012. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bubba had anything to do with the aesthetics-- he's a big Black Label Society fan, so I could see him embracing the pseudo-biker motif as well.

Oh man, I forgot all about that shitty show. I think Total Divas is less scripted than that show was.

• Like 1

I was fortunate to work a series of shows with Shane Douglas.  The guy is still a great talker and can make one of the tightest blades of anyone I have ever seen. He is also a hell of a locker room leader.  I wasn't a huge fan of his later WCW stuff but I do think his 92-93 WCW run is criminally under-rated.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, caley said:

Enzo is not exactly a face you should put on food or food like products.

• Like 1