DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Maximo Sexy & La Mascara were fired from CMLL due to the destroying of Ultimo Guerrero's car.

That's on top of the obvious legal troubles they are now facing. They learned the hard way not to commit a crime in a place with security cameras.

J-Tex Corp. had The Pearl of the Orient and Gary Hart talking shit for him, so they were cool even as they got jobbed out.

Muta should have been NWA champ. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

J-Tex Corp. had The Pearl of the Orient and Gary Hart talking shit for him, so they were cool even as they got jobbed out.

Muta should have been NWA champ. 

They also had Buzz Sawyer and a guy named The Dragonmaster!

I know, what a fucking drop-off. Hart couldn't even get Al Perez to join up? He had to settle for sub-Al Perez guys in Buzz Sawyer and The Dragonmaster. 

Al Perez might be the Mendoza Line equivalent of mid-level guys that you could have in your stable. 

J-Tex was dope when Terry Funk was part of it along with Muta, but IIRC Funk left and then it was just Muta and some jobbers, and Muta himself was in that four-man round robin at Starrcade '90 (IIRC) just to drop falls to Luger, Flair, and Sting. 

Still better than the Bullet Club, though. 

Like a real Family, the Heenan Family acted in concert when it was needed. Like warring with Andre or stopping a psychotic Ken Patera. Or Andre helping Bundy weaken Hogan. In 1989 they worked together to great success. 

Matt pointed out Andre being happy celebrating the Busters big win. But him consoling a distraught Haku post crown loss was great. 

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Varsity Club, such a great weird group. I liked it a little less when Steiner was kicked out and it became a more traditional group. 

I like the Dungeon of Doom. Sullivan, Giant, Kamala, Tenta, One Man Gang, Bubba, Meng and Barbarian. I would put that line up against most. 

The FBI never had a bad line up until it was just Guido and Big Vito. 

In general I prefer a tight knit group like the Horsemen, Triple Threat or Freebirds to larger groups. 

I do understand why the nWo expanded its membership. They were attacking an entire company and with five wrestling members, even with the Giant, it was a logical problem so they needed more members. Norton and Bagwell were good choices and the NJPW guys made it seem like a big deal.

The initial reunion in 99 I think was effective. But then it seemed like the booking became focused on killing Ric Flair off and it fell apart. 

The Jersey Triad was an underrated group. Page, Kanyon and Bigelow all worked together very well. 

The initial Corporation of Rock, Shamrock and Bossman was really underrated. Then they kept adding members. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, (BP) said:

I'll never forget Kaientai coming into WWF as Club Kamikaze and announcing their name change like a week later with Yamaguchi-San screaming, "This is the 90s!"

I swear I remember them showing up and don't remember that at all. Too bad that forward-thinking note sounded only as long as it was spoken.

Buzz Sawyer reminds me of the short-lived Sullivan's Slaughterhouse... you know, the one where they wanted to wear bloodstained aprons but WCW wouldn't even let them put dirt on them because it would remind people of blood. "IT'S NOT THE DOG'S FAULT!"

That still makes me laugh my ass off

I mean, Buzz Sawyer is a fine worker, but he was a below-replacement level stablemate based on his J-Tex W-L record. He was the equivalent of Cody Rhodes in Legacy.

Pretty damning, wouldn't you say?

17 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

WWE was running an interesting poll on which member of the Klique has had the most influence on wrestling and I couldn't decide on Triple H or HBK.

My knee jerk was Triple H due to all the groundwork he's laying at the moment with the PC, NXT and some of the talent he elevated... then I kinda thought that no wrestler who has come along in the past 20 years has said Triple H was the reason they got into the biz, Shawn Michaels is the name that comes up again and again 

I actually went with Waltman on that one. I figure a guy that size, working that style, throwing kicks etc. on WWF TV in 1994 deserves a nod for paving the way somewhat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I mean, Buzz Sawyer is a fine worker, but he was a below-replacement level stablemate based on his J-Tex W-L record. He was the equivalent of Cody Rhodes in Legacy.

Pretty damning, wouldn't you say?

Cody was a big prospect in 08 before they killed him off. You are thinking of Manu.

55 minutes ago, Victator said:

Cody was a big prospect in 08 before they killed him off. You are thinking of Manu.

WRONG.

I wasn't thinking of Manu because nobody ever thinks of Manu. 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Sin Carne said:

Apparently so, he won some tag titles with LA Smooth last month in South Africa - https://www.cagematch.net//?id=2=00002444&nr=46&page=4

I actually did think of Manu the other day, but I am glad to say it's not a regular happening.

Sons of Samoa is an awesome team name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zartan said:

Aces and 8's had Ken Anderson jerking off a foaming beer bottle. 

Throwing out the Triple Threat as an actual good group that never had that kind of crap. 

Puppet > Mr Anderson.