DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Man, Main Event Mafia really don't get enough recognition. That was a good collection of talent and great presentation.

I was a big fan of Aces and Eights, never got why people hated on them so much - it was one of the few times TNA had their finger on the zeitgeist with the popularity of Sons of Anarchy and it put over a lot of talent (that TNA then didn't capitalise on ofc ) 

• Like 1

WWE was running an interesting poll on which member of the Klique has had the most influence on wrestling and I couldn't decide on Triple H or HBK.

My knee jerk was Triple H due to all the groundwork he's laying at the moment with the PC, NXT and some of the talent he elevated... then I kinda thought that no wrestler who has come along in the past 20 years has said Triple H was the reason they got into the biz, Shawn Michaels is the name that comes up again and again 

44 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Man, Main Event Mafia really don't get enough recognition. That was a good collection of talent and great presentation.

I was a big fan of Aces and Eights, never got why people hated on them so much - it was one of the few times TNA had their finger on the zeitgeist with the popularity of Sons of Anarchy and it put over a lot of talent (that TNA then didn't capitalise on ofc ) 

Sons of Anarchy was done when Aces and Eights came about, not to mention that the final season wasn't all that great. I wouldn't exactly call that having their dinner on a Zeitgeist.

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

WWE was running an interesting poll on which member of the Klique has had the most influence on wrestling and I couldn't decide on Triple H or HBK.

My knee jerk was Triple H due to all the groundwork he's laying at the moment with the PC, NXT and some of the talent he elevated... then I kinda thought that no wrestler who has come along in the past 20 years has said Triple H was the reason they got into the biz, Shawn Michaels is the name that comes up again and again 

Shawn Michaels might go down as one of the biggest influences for in-ring, while HHH goes down as one of the biggest for out-of-the-ring.  Two sides of the same coin.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Sons of Anarchy was done when Aces and Eights came about, not to mention that the final season wasn't all that great. I wouldn't exactly call that having their dinner on a Zeitgeist.

Sons of Anarchy was in its 5th season when Aces & Eights came in; and ran for two more seasons after that so that's not exactly true.  And if you're saying it was done in the sense that the show wasn't popular, a quick Wikipedia scan says the season 5 premiere was the highest-rated show in FX history, so that's not exactly true, either.  And the finale of Season 6 was the most-watched finale in FX history or something, too.  So I think you're underselling how popular 'Sons of Anarchy' was, at the time, which is why it was smart for TNA to try and get in on that popularity. 

I can't speak to the quality of the show, as I've never watched it, despite owning the first season.

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

People hated Aces and Eights for three reasons:  First, it completely derailed what had been up until that point a really, really good stretch of TV for the company.  The summer of 2012 was really great stuff.  Second, the story dragged on for-fucking ever.  Eighteen months!  And third, outside of Bully Ray, and arguably Mike Knox and Doc Gallows, the talent in the group was kind of shit.

To me the whole point of them was that they took a bunch of nothing and made them into a major heel stable. & I don't think Aces & Eights can really be blamed for 'derailing' TNA booking.

Aces & Eights weren't like Immortal in trying to scoop up every championship, they never held the tag team championship (and barely iirc tried) or the X-Division championship, and they didn't dominate the main-event for their entire 18 months of existence. I actually think there was a reasonable storyline arc there.

If anything TNA broke a good run of booking by

a) Turning Aries heel and having him put over Jeff Hardy at Bound For Glory

b) Not keeping Samoa Joe and Magnus together as a tag team

c) depushing Bad Influence

d) pushing Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez

e) having Zema Ion/RVD/Kenny King as X-Division champions

& f) having the guy to beat Bully Ray decisively be a guy who ended up leaving shortly afterwards.

Bully Ray deserved a title run and Aces & Eights was a perfectly sensible vehicle for that run. TNA gonna TNA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caley said:

Sons of Anarchy was in its 5th season when Aces & Eights came in; and ran for two more seasons after that so that's not exactly true.  And if you're saying it was done in the sense that the show wasn't popular, a quick Wikipedia scan says the season 5 premiere was the highest-rated show in FX history, so that's not exactly true, either.  And the finale of Season 6 was the most-watched finale in FX history or something, too.  So I think you're underselling how popular 'Sons of Anarchy' was, at the time, which is why it was smart for TNA to try and get in on that popularity. 

I can't speak to the quality of the show, as I've never watched it, despite owning the first season.

Holy shit! My bad then. I completely blocked out how long SoA ran for and I watched all of it. I also thought Aces and Eights wasn't that long ago. Damn. 

I'll never forget Kaientai coming into WWF as Club Kamikaze and announcing their name change like a week later with Yamaguchi-San screaming, "This is the 90s!"

Immortal/Fortune was awful, except that at the heart of it was the Sting/Hogan storyline, which I still maintain was the best booking TNA ever did. 

1 hour ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Maximo Sexy & La Mascara were fired from CMLL due to the destroying of Ultimo Guerrero's car.

That's on top of the obvious legal troubles they are now facing. They learned the hard way not to commit a crime in a place with security cameras.

J-Tex Corp. had The Pearl of the Orient and Gary Hart talking shit for him, so they were cool even as they got jobbed out.

Muta should have been NWA champ. 

• Like 1