DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Stables Bullet Club is better than:

3MB

Legacy

The DCC

League of Nations

Whatever Caprice Coleman/Kenny King/Rhett Titus are calling themselves

I was going to say Simon Diamond's ECW crew, but then I would be downplaying the greatness of Dick Hertz, The Muskateer and Mitch the Male Rat.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BoKnowsWrestling said:

Do Hart's and Hennen's groups count as stables?  If so that puts anything else in a distant 4th place (horsemen an obvious #1).  

A stable is where you keep horses. Heenan had a family!

• Like 3

Guest Edwin

On the contrary, stables that are better than the Bullet Club:

• The Four Horsemen
  • The Dangerous Alliance
  • D-X
  • NWO
  • Generation Next
  • The Age of the Fall
  • J-Tex Corporation
  • The Freebirds
  • The Hart Foundation
  • The Radicalz

They're not even top 10 and that's just with what I'm going off the top of my head.

Immortal were worse than he Bullet Club. So were Fourtune. Although on paper, you'd think Fourtune would be awesome.

The Main Event Maffia however, were fantastic.

Aside from some two on one attacks against Andre, the obligatory Survivor Series team-ups, and one crappy tag title reign with Andre and Haku, did the Heenan Family ever do anything as a unit in the WWF?  I never saw them as a stable like the Horsemen, who always acted as a team.  To me, they were more of a monster factory vs Andre and Hogan and, later, just random guys who all happened to be managed by the same person.  But really, that was just the WWF model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

• The Radicalz

They're not even top 10 and that's just with what I'm going off the top of my head.

Let's be honest here, the Radicalz kind of sucked.  Dumb name (Especially with the 'z' on the end), not particularly memorable music, mostly used as jobbing fodder.  Their debut was memorable, but everything else about the group went downhill really quick.  They were part of that one great 10-man tag, but as a group one can't honestly say they were anymore successful in getting their group members over than The Revolution.  Benoit and Guerrero didn't get over until they split from the group.

I'd say The Shield, as a faction, was way more successful than the Radicalz.  They had a arguably a better debut than the Radicalz, better theme song, had a different entrance and interview style than anyone in wrestling at the time.  They were involved in more, better matches, and upon their split all three members went on to some semblance of main-even success.

By that same resolve, I think people are underselling how important the Bullet Club is.  It changed the culture of wrestling in Japan, for sure, (Maybe not for the better...) but Bullet Club matches are completely different than anything seen before in New Japan).  They're the first real group to span over several companies (NJPW, ROH, sort of in WWE, and even a hint of them in TNA).  A number of wrestlers have raised their profiles by joining up (I doubt very much Styles, Gallows, Anderson would have gone to WWE, and not in such dramatic fashion, without their BC stints).  They've got a pretty interesting entrance (I love when Bad Luck Fale would carry a guy out on his shoulders) that was different from a lot of stuff going on at the time, and a widespread influence.  I'd say their merchandise is the most ubiquitous merch since...maybe prime John Cena.  No matter where you go wrestling-wise; be it TNA, WWE, or a local indy show, you're gonna see Bullet Club t-shirts in the stands.

In terms of stables, I'm not sure their are many aside from NWO, DX, Shield, Four Horsemen that have the influence that Bullet Club have had on wrestling as a whole.

• Like 5

Yeah, um, Bullet Club was made by Styles joining it, not Styles's profile going up by joining Bullet Club.  Yes, Styles run in NJPW is what got him to WWE, but if he didn't do the Bullet Club, he still would've been sitting at the top of the card in NJPW.  Bullet Club's sell by date was when Styles, Anderson, and Gallows left NJPW.  Since then it's been every incarnation of nWo since late 99.

Everything that Bullet Club brought in terms of changing culture disappeared and everything shifted back to the way it was when Styles left.   And really, their stuff wasn't different from when nWo Japan was a thing.  

52 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Aside from some two on one attacks against Andre, the obligatory Survivor Series team-ups, and one crappy tag title reign with Andre and Haku, did the Heenan Family ever do anything as a unit in the WWF?  I never saw them as a stable like the Horsemen, who always acted as a team.  To me, they were more of a monster factory vs Andre and Hogan and, later, just random guys who all happened to be managed by the same person.  But really, that was just the WWF model.

There was only one time I remember the Heenan Family act like the Horsemen...that gnarly four on one attack on Ken Patera. They needed to do more of that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, caley said:

A number of wrestlers have raised their profiles by joining up (I doubt very much Styles, Gallows, Anderson would have gone to WWE, and not in such dramatic fashion, without their BC stints).

WWE already had their eyes on Gallows and Anderson due people already there pushing them to hire them. In Gallows' case their eyes may have never completely left him since he was a former talent.

30 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Yeah, um, Bullet Club was made by Styles joining it, not Styles's profile going up by joining Bullet Club.  Yes, Styles run in NJPW is what got him to WWE, but if he didn't do the Bullet Club, he still would've been sitting at the top of the card in NJPW.  Bullet Club's sell by date was when Styles, Anderson, and Gallows left NJPW.  Since then it's been every incarnation of nWo since late 99.

This is maybe a little too hot-takey for me. Styles' run was peak Bullet Club, sure, I'm down with that. But I think you're overselling the decline. And I'm not a die-hard fan of what they've done post-Styles. I think you're really underselling latter-day nWo.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Immortal were worse than he Bullet Club. So were Fourtune. Although on paper, you'd think Fourtune would be awesome.

The Main Event Maffia however, were fantastic.

Aces & Eights were also worse than Bullet Club.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Andre aided the Brain Busters in their tag title win.

Haku & the Barbarian ran in to cause the DQ in Perfect's IC title match against the Boss Man @ WM7.

There is no way anyone can UNDERsell post 99 NWO. It was really awful. I don't follow NJPW enough to judge if Bullet Club are on that level. But I have a very hard time with people naming them to be Top 3 of all time. 

That said, there also lots of bad fractions / stables in pro wrestling history which were really bad. I would think Bullet Club could be middle of the pack.

There was that one Snake's Pit that created a really cool visual with the Heenan Family. In July of 87 they might have had the most members of a group in a major company. Islanders, Bundy, Andre, Race, Hercules, Orndorff & Rude.

• Like 2

I pretty much mean any nWo Post Starrcade 98, which was the turning point that sealed WCW's fate.  basically any version of it that existed after Sting should've destroyed Hogan without breaking a sweat in 97.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The AWA version of Heenan's family sure did.