DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

On 5/15/2017 at 5:09 AM, Casey said:

I think I'm probably the only one that thinks Orton posted that note as a way of making fun of Rip Rogers, but maybe that's just me.

I think Randy and Rip are tight. I'm guessing Rip trained Randy at OVW. Rip was on Austin's podcast a few months back and they mentioned Rip's GoFundMe for a replacement vehicle since his broke down. The top contributor at the time was Randy Orton  

https://www.gofundme.com/rip-rogers-raw-deal

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Who is the Unknown Comic of wrestling? 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Dolph Ziggler

He should be, as in nobody knows Dolph Ziggler does stand up. 

I think Dolph is the Carrot Top of wrestling,

37 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

This is some seriously elitist bullshit. No surprise that you're defending indy spotfest nonsense all over the board.

1) it was just a stupid analogy.  Fuck.

2) Are you saying there's not better wrestling out there than Randy's "20 minutes of chinlocks" style and, if there is, people shouldn't be seeking it out?  Should consumers of a given product not educate themselves to find anything better?  What about restaurants?  If I told you there was better food out there than McDonald's, is that elitist, too?

Holy shit, some people.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

2) Are you saying there's not better wrestling out there than Randy's "20 minutes of chinlocks" style and, if there is, people shouldn't be seeking it out?  Should consumers of a given product not educate themselves to find anything better?  What about restaurants?  If I told you there was better food out there than McDonald's, is that elitist, too?

If you couched people who went to McDonald's as "people who don't know enough to want anything more out of their food", then yeah.

Also, "better wrestling" is subjective. 

To keep the comedy/wrestling discussion going, who would be the Denis Leary, stealing his act from a lesser known, more skilled wrestler and using it to become bigger than his predecessor? Would it even apply since everything in wrestling seems to be borrowed from something before it?

So are we calling Rip Rogers a bad worker?  Is this the thing now, that when vets voice their opinion on how the industry that gave them careers and fame, has changed drastically and they're sad/upset about it, is to tell them they're out of touch and don't know what what is really good???

I think it's time for me to migrate over to the Big Kids Table(PWO).  I mean, most of y'all that post in the music forum regale old-school music, so it sounds silly when you gripe about old vets speaking up about not feeling today's product. 

1 minute ago, MADCAP said:

So are we calling Rip Rogers a bad worker?  Is this the thing now, that when vets voice their opinion on how the industry that gave them careers and fame, has changed drastically and they're sad/upset about it, is to tell them they're out of touch and don't know what what is really good???

I think it's time for me to migrate over to the Big Kids Table(PWO).  I mean, most of y'all that post in the music forum regale old-school music, so it sounds silly when you gripe about old vets speaking up about not feeling today's product. 

I love when people get all angsty about DVDVR, as if they do doing us a favor by posting here. The issue was that Rip was being an asshole, not that he doesn't like today's style of wrestling. If I don't like dinner your wife cooked but instead of excusing myself I throw the food at her and tell her how much better my wife cooks, I think people would agree I went over the line. If you support him using a picture of Jimmy Savile to mock wrestlers, then I think that says more about you than other posters.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To keep the comedy/wrestling discussion going, who would be the Denis Leary, stealing his act from a lesser known, more skilled wrestler and using it to become bigger than his predecessor? Would it even apply since everything in wrestling seems to be borrowed from something before it?

CM Punk?

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Rico.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I love when people get all angsty about DVDVR, as if they do doing us a favor by posting here. The issue was that Rip was being an asshole, not that he doesn't like today's style of wrestling. If I don't like dinner your wife cooked but instead of excusing myself I throw the food at her and tell her how much better my wife cooks, I think people would agree I went over the line. If you support him using a picture of Jimmy Savile to mock wrestlers, then I think that says more about you than other posters.

Rip is a known loudmouth. Why people took that tweet and ran with it, I'll never know. 

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This is an embarrassingly written article but basically - the WWE (because of NBC Universal) will be using more of the picture in picture during commercial breaks

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/advertising-and-marketing/nbcu-looks-pin-down-viewers-during-wwe-smackdown-breaks/165809

The other interesting thing in there is that WWE Network is the biggest advertiser on Smackdown apparently.

48 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ric Flair seems to be the most undisputable of them there.

• Like 1

I think the biggest thing about wrestling is something (ironically) Cornette once said: "Wrestling isn't like a geography test where if you know where Brazil is you pass". People here love shitting on the Young Bucks or others like them but the fact is that they make a nice living and are constantly booked. So a decent amount of people must enjoy what they do. What I'm saying is there isn't only one way to successfully do pro wrestling.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

1) it was just a stupid analogy.  Fuck.

Holy shit, some people.

Oh, I know the analogy was stupid. The restaurant one is too. I agree that there's better wrestlers out there than Orton, it's just that I don't think the indy flip scene contains any of them and indicating that the Young Bucks and their ilk are factually better than Orton and that everyone who disagrees must be some kind of simpleton is, yes, elitist.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

I think the biggest thing about wrestling is something (ironically) Cornette once said: "Wrestling isn't like a geography test where if you know where Brazil is you pass". People here love shitting on the Young Bucks or others like them but the fact is that they make a nice living and are constantly booked. So a decent amount of people must enjoy what they do. What I'm saying is there isn't only one way to successfully do pro wrestling.

Sure, but you can still criticize art. Both things can be true.

Nothing wrong with saying "x is talented/well-made, but not for me." 

These days, I only watch LUCHA and old stuff, but I know there are good/great workers in Japan or wwf or the super Indys. I just don't care (generally speaking).

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Wouldn't Orton actually be the Gallagher of wrestling?  Walk in, do the same stale, boring act in front of fans who don't know enough to want anything more out of the show, get paid and leave, never putting forth any effort to better your game because who gives a shit? 

Gallagher went away eventually.

• Like 2