DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:25 AM, joseph2112 said:

While I certainly agree with you, I'll just leave this here.

I'm pretty sure Scotty got suspended for two weeks though. With pay, of course.

JJ Dillon wrote about this in his book. Steiner's defense was that Hogan had cut a similar shoot style promo on Flair a few weeks earlier. The problem was that Hogan and Flair were involved in an angle and even though there was some shooty stuff, it pertained to their angle and Hogan didn't flat out say WCW sucks and that he was going to watch Stone Cold. Originally they were going to suspend him for a month without pay. Then I think two weeks without pay. Then  they just fined him. Then Steiner's lawyer got involved and they ended up not suspending him at all and giving him a bonus equivalent to whatever his fine was.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I also can't stand his gimmick... I just don't buy him as a bad-ass tough guy. I find that so ill-fitting for a kinda short, kinda pudgy guy with a very youthful face. I think he could work as a schoolyard bully-type, who cheap shots and sucker punches but withers and whines like a coward when a face stands up to him. It seems that's what they're going for with him, but he plays it like way too much of a tough guy. 

Are we talking about the Miz or Kevin Owens?

• Like 2

The Miz has never been presented as a badass.  He's always been the weasel heel who sneaks his way to victories and championships. And I can't imagine him ever bullying someone on the playground.  That would require putting his face in danger and even at a young age, Miz wasn't doing that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

JJ Dillon wrote about this in his book. Steiner's defense was that Hogan had cut a similar shoot style promo on Flair a few weeks earlier. The problem was that Hogan and Flair were involved in an angle and even though there was some shooty stuff, it pertained to their angle and Hogan didn't flat out say WCW sucks and that he was going to watch Stone Cold. Originally they were going to suspend him for a month without pay. Then I think two weeks without pay. Then  they just fined him. Then Steiner's lawyer got involved and they ended up not suspending him at all and giving him a bonus equivalent to whatever his fine was.

Who knows what is true but what I heard was that all those guys had guaranteed contracts and there was no provision in them to withhold money, so even if they were suspended they still got paid. 

But really, the equivalent of this today would be Reigns burying UT before WM for being old and washed up and then saying NJPW had a better streaming service where real stars wrestled. 

• Like 1

Owens wrestled his typical spotty match that pops WWE crowds last I saw in November.

Which is fine and matches with what he did in ROH, too. He wrestled to the crowd.

But in NXT, he came off as Baby Vader. He was violent. Even that CJ Parker squash was four minutes of conflict that felt real in it's violence. The palm strike that busted Owens up added to that, for sure, but Owens worked like the blood just made him meaner. It was reminiscent of Joe going nuts and murdering Balor after being busted open.

That sense of raw violence permeated that whole KO NXT run, right up to that ladder match with Balor that eschewed dives and wobbly ladder spots for Owens trying to murder Balor with the ladder.

He's working for a different crowd now, but he was locked in as a legit great worker for that ten-month span.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I find Owens to be awful. He's had a few individual matches I liked, but on the whole, I find him grating. What I saw of him in ROH, I thought he was Davey Richards levels of bad when it came to moves-over-psychology. Obviously he's not THAT bad about it in WWE, but still more of a video-game worker without much psychology. 

I also can't stand his gimmick. I'm glad they dropped the Prizefighter stuff, but I just don't buy him as a bad-ass tough guy. I find that so ill-fitting for a kinda short, kinda pudgy guy with a very youthful face. I think he could work as a schoolyard bully-type, who cheap shots and sucker punches but withers and whines like a coward when a face stands up to him. It seems that's what they're going for with him, but he plays it like way too much of a tough guy. 

Even that would be too much for Owens.

Owens is more the "disagreeable neckbeard living in his parents' basement who gets bullied and then takes it out by playing some FPS, poorly, and screaming curse words into it at whatever 12 year old actually manages to kill him- often" than even a schoolyard bully-type.

...and now you see why Owens has such a following.

• Like 2

He occasionally gets to show flashes of that pure ultra violence stuff still. Mostly only when he's destroying Jericho though.

He managed to have a watchable match with Dean Ambrose once. That's otherworldly great right there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Remember babyface Miz?

37 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Can you give me a reason why I'd want to?

raw3.gif?resize=480,272

I think this fits the time period. If not, still needs seeing ; )

• Like 7

On 5/9/2017 at 5:24 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

When I first got back into the WWE, I had heard that Hennig's kid was was wrestling. I didn't know that Dolph was a repackaged Spirit Squad kid yet and assumed that Ziggler was Perfect Jr. This was due to the insane flips he'd take on being fingerpoked, and the curly hair. 

I thought for the longest time, I was the only person that thought that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I'd take Owens on my side in a bar fight over lots of other dudes on the roster, especially with his top notch shit talking.

I submit that it would probably be his shit talking that got you in that bar fight to begin with.

• Like 15

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope the Danielson and Garcia-Colace families were in the delivery room chanting "Best in the world", singing Europe's "The Final Countdown", and banging on anything as if it were ROH's metal guardrails. 

On LOST, Claire's baby kept being called Turnip Head by Charlie.

Baby Bryan-Bella first plays in a crib, the kid is going to be called Barricade Slapper.

• Like 1

If he knew what it took to be great, why wasn't he a huge star? 

I know, people might be offended because he was "awesome" and threw great punches or whatever. 

So go ahead and knock my comment. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

If he knew what it took to be great, why wasn't he a huge star? 

I know, people might be offended because he was "awesome" and threw great punches or whatever. 

So go ahead and knock my comment. 

Some people are good teachers and some are good doers. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean you can't teach someone how to do it well and vice versa. I hardly think anyone will tout Larry Sharpe as a great worker but he taught some good ones. Jericho and Lance Storm both said that Ed Langley was a shit wrestler and a ridiculous old man but he was a hell of a trainer. On the flip side, think of how many great players turn out to be shit coaches.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

If I'm not mistaken, Rip was also one of the trainers when OVW was a developmental territory.