DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

From a marketing perspective (as they like to look at things, so this isn't necessarily me saying this), they had a good situation. Darren came out, Titus was named or was about to be FotY, you think they'd be pushed. But then New Day came along, they inexplicably broke them up, reformed, Titus was suspended and then Darren got hurt. 

A real waste of something that could've gotten some mileage. Especially in a division that needs depth. But hey, we all know how they feel about the tag division now. 

Push them, break them up to clog an over saturated singles roster, and then complain when they can't get over as a singles guy. Because there's too many people to book in so little time, in between long winded promos, 100 commercials and recaps for things that happened 5 minutes ago. 

At least Smackdown has somewhat figured it out. 

39 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

From a marketing perspective (as they like to look at things, so this isn't necessarily me saying this), they had a good situation. Darren came out, Titus was named or was about to be FotY, you think they'd be pushed. But then New Day came along, they inexplicably broke them up, reformed, Titus was suspended and then Darren got hurt. 

A real waste of something that could've gotten some mileage. Especially in a division that needs depth. But hey, we all know how they feel about the tag division now. 

Push them, break them up to clog an over saturated singles roster, and then complain when they can't get over as a singles guy. Because there's too many people to book in so little time, in between long winded promos, 100 commercials and recaps for things that happened 5 minutes ago. 

At least Smackdown has somewhat figured it out. 

The Titus Brand isn't working, but I hear Kramerica Industries could use a new intern. Their last one went away for a long, long time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Prime Time Players got no respect. They were a way better team in and out of the ring then The WWE ever presented them as.

I agree.  Those early promos with "Millions of dollars!" were gold.  Plus, this

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

About five years ago, I drunkenly sent a message on Facebook to that Psycho Cybil woman who was featured in those articles with all the ridiculous claims about her career, asking why she lied so much.

I just got a response of "I DON'T".

No idea where to from here......

Ask her, "How was prison?"

• Like 1

So, what is the most "successful" first name in the business? Assuming at least 5 people with name to prevent people just saying "hulk" or "lou" or "rikidozan."

I guess you start with Ric(k)(y)

Flair, Rude, Steamboat, Morton, Steiner

(Or Riki Choshu if that counts)

That's counting "Dick" as separate entry.

There's been a number of Jimmy's in wrestling. 

Jimmy Jacobs

Jimmy Rave

Jimmy Yang

Jimmy Snuka

Jimmy Del Ray

Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Valiant

Jimmy Garvin

Of course, Little Jimmy.

I think I know how Petrol will tie this into Seinfeld. It's right there for you.

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

What is the most common first name in US pro wrestling? I feel like Chris/Cris/Kris has to be up there thanks to the glut of turn-of-the-millenium guys.

Brother.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Prime Time Players got no respect. They were a way better team in and out of the ring then The WWE ever presented them as.

What's funny is that I can picture a scenario where Bob Backlund alongside both Young and O'Neil would have actually worked.  Make Prime Time Players great again!  Titus and Backlund trying to outcrazy each other would have been must-watch TV for me.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There's been a number of Jimmy's in wrestling. 

Jimmy Jacobs

Jimmy Rave

Jimmy Yang

Jimmy Snuka

Jimmy Del Ray

Jimmy Hart

Jimmy Valiant

Jimmy Garvin

Of course, Little Jimmy.

I think I know how Petrol will tie this into Seinfeld. It's right there for you.

tumblr_nqgw5mI9zQ1upxwm8o1_r1_400.gif

...I've got nothing. 

1 minute ago, PetrolCB said:

I knew that I could've gone there. But I tried to think of something funny.

I guess I'm not a joke maker. 

You may tell jokes, Mr. Petrol, but you are no comedian.

Jimmy's not funny? That's kooky talk.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kafkonia said:

What is the most common first name in US pro wrestling? I feel like Chris/Cris/Kris has to be up there thanks to the glut of turn-of-the-millenium guys.

At one point in ROH, it was definitely 'Jay'.  They had Jay Lethal, Briscoe, Diesel (They tried to cover that by saying it was "J.Diesel" but, come on, everyone at home knew it was 'Jay'!).  But I can't really think of any other Jays.

There's a lot of Matts out there: Hardy, Taven, Morgan, Sydal, Jackson, Cross, Borne (RIP), Striker, Stryker, Cage.  A quick Googling reveals: Myers, Conrad, Knicks, Carlos, Turner, King, XStatic and a zillion others.

12 minutes ago, caley said:

At one point in ROH, it was definitely 'Jay'.  They had Jay Lethal, Briscoe, Diesel (They tried to cover that by saying it was "J.Diesel" but, come on, everyone at home knew it was 'Jay'!).  But I can't really think of any other Jays.

Cougar Jay, NWA jobber, comes to mind.

(Ok really, it's an excuse to link to a Pillman match.)