DVDVR Message Board

Free Comic Book Day 2017

The Natural

This will be my fourth FCBD since the comic book shop closest to where I live opened in February/March 2014. First time I won't be there for when it opens as I've an appointment I can't cancel and the shop has changed the start time. Shit.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/catalog

There's a limit to the number of books you can pick there, usually two. I'm looking at Secret Empire as my definite then Wonder Woman. Bongo's also caught my eyes. Have to say, the selection doesn't do much for me. What's the difference beween gold and silver comics?

Retailers have to order a minimum amount of Gold Comics to participate whereas Silver Comics are ordered to the retailer's discretion.

Also if you can only grab two I'd snag I Hate Image as the second. It should be a blast and also I can't imagine it doesn't turn into a speculator market gem given it's an original one off and has Walking Dead characters in it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Retailers have to order a minimum amount of Gold Comics to participate whereas Silver Comics are ordered to the retailer's discretion.

Also if you can only grab two I'd snag I Hate Image as the second. It should be a blast and also I can't imagine it doesn't turn into a speculator market gem given it's an original one off and has Walking Dead characters in it.

Cheers!

Austin Books usually allowa 10, but also buys a ton of $1 reprint books and puts them in the free area. I'll be getting XO and Street Fighter V Wrestling Special for sure, not sure beyond that (disappointed Titan doesn't have a Doctor Who this year) nor do I know what TPB I'll buy to offset the fact that comic shops have to spend money on things they will give me free.

• Like 2

my freebies: Legend of Zelda, the Tick, Street Fighter wrestling special.

didn't buy anything as i already grabbed my books this week, but i do need to snag another longbox. plus i spread the word to a bunch of friends with kids, so maybe that'll pay off

I have a whole mess of freebies in my backpack because retailer's advantage. We made out really well at my store this year although our sales were ridiculous  (50% off bins, 25% off everything else mostly) so that helped. I'm near Toronto so we've had flood warnings and stuff and we were all worried how it'd go but we did about as well as last year which was a high year. 

I also nabbed one of the FCBD special Bombshells Wonder Woman mini figures because cute. Bought Legend of WW in HC and the Transformers vs. GI Joe 'Movie Adaptation' that I somehow missed despite getting the whole mini. Tom Scioli is my jam.

I was underwhelmed this year, but then again I am sure I missed some hidden gems.  I didn't realize the Street Fighter was a "Wresling Special" for FCBD.  I should hve snaagged that one.  

Bobbed down to the shop on Friday to get my comic on order and the owner said we could pick more free comic book day books as we’re regulars. Good on him. My Sister went as I was unable to getting Secret Empire, Wonder Woman and I Hate Image for me. My Sister chose Simpsons and SpongeBob SquarePants.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I haven't checked but I think last year comixology had most of the fcbd stuff. 

They usually get it all but on delays. For most publishers it's with the next week's comics but Marvel (and once or twice DC) will often delay by a month or more which is hilariously foolish given how the issue is usually meant to promote a new series. I remember specifically that Future's End #0 took a long time to go up even as subsequent issues were landing weekly and I wondered how they expected the series to sell digitally when digital only readers couldn't get the first chapter.

I went back to my favorite comic shop in my old neighborhood for FCBD. I miss going to that place. If you're ever in Chicago, Challengers in Bucktown is the place to go.

Everyone got a copy of X-O Man of War while they waited in line. Once in we got to pick five. So me and my son each got five.

I grabbed I HATE IMAGE, Jodorowsky and Moebius' The Incal(SO FUCKING EXCITED), Buffy The High School Years for my wife, Spill Night, and the Street Fighter V Wrestling Special.

As thanks to the store we bought March Grand Prix by Kean Soo. A year or two back, a chapter of March Grand Prix was a FCBD book and my son loved it. So we saw the Trade and thought it was fitting to buy it. 

It was a cool day. Right after we finished up we went into the nearby movie theatre and watched Guardians 2. Which didn't suck the balls. Then we watched the Derby, where his horse Thunder Snow flipped out right out of the gate. Good with the bad, you know.

• Like 1

Incal is amazing, if I didn't already have the full volume it'd be my first choice. And I know this will be suspect since I'm the loudest Valiant partisan here, but the XO book has me really excited for all the books it gives trailers for.