DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA Playoffs: QUARTERFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

I hate everyone.

Cynical me says that Harden scoring 43 and the rest of his teammates scoring 49 is the kind of game that really benefits his MVP candidacy because he's doing so much without any help. Right? That's how this works now?

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Right? That's how this works now?

Not really, no. MVP is a regular season award, that ship has sailed.  If I were you I'd be more worried about the Spurs and less worried about if Westbrook has more votes than Harden. 

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Sometimes, and it's understandable because it's Washington, it seems like John Wall is either forgotten or taken for granted. Insane skill set.

He had what would've been an MVP candidate season this year if not for the NBA going statistically insane. And he had an all-time great game that IT topped. 

I'm still complaining about officiating in a game the Rockets won by 20+. How in the world does it make sense that San Antonio, one of the more physical teams, versus the Rockets, the most prolific team at drawing fouls, and the Spurs are doubling up the Rockets on free throws? Makes absolutely no sense. Rockets are driving and getting hammered in the paint and not getting any calls. And all the ridiculous flops by Mills and Manu are getting calls.

Just boggles the mind. 

Just goes to show that if the Rockets hit their threes it doesn't matter.

hope Nene is ok. It might be a career for him too if it's serious.

Harden playing like ass in OT was the game winning play. Holy shit, he looked bad. San Antonio gave them 3:30 of OT to do something and all they got was a 3 from Beverley with no Kawhi in the game.

Harden totally Westbrook'd it at the end.  Iso hero ball while being totally gassed. 

I blame the 7 man rotation.  We can't play at that pace without at least one more person gobbling up some minutes.  The Nene injury really hurts in that there really isn't any other bigs that can play.   I guess you can try playing Dekker, but he's a small forward in a power forward body with a just healed broken hand.  Montrezl Harrell is center in a (short) power forward body, doesn't stretch the floor and is woefully undersized for the Spurs.  There's nothing else. 

And Manu hit James in the head with that last block. 

I know I've been griping about the officiating all series, and they actually were better a bit last night, but the different calls for charges and blocks depending on which team is doing what was ridiculous.  Pat Bev and Ryan Anderson both established position out of the protected area and were smashed by a Spur hard, and were called for blocking fouls.  On the other end, Jonathan Simmons was running sideways at Harden as he was driving, had one foot in the air and flopped and slid 17 feet and they called a charge.  And then, with 11 seconds to go in regulation, flopped with no contact and was rewarded with a charge on Harden, again.  Fortunately, Harden played good D (???) on Patty Mills to force the overtime.  And Simmons flopped again in overtime, but there was no call and it led to the Pat Bev 3 which was, what, the Rockets only points in overtime?

I'm not sure how anyone can watch this game or this series and say that the Rockets are the soft, whiny, flopping-est team and the Spurs are this tough, gritty team.  Narrative seems pretty backward to me.  Harden has this rep for flopping but he sure seems to be taking a bunch of contact on almost every drive without hitting the floor.  Whereas Simmons, Mills and Manu seem to be throwing themselves on the ground every five seconds.

Harden looked gassed. I was shocked he didn't try his patent drives to the basket to manufacture free throws during overtime.

Spurs weren't good in the overtime either. Manu and Danny Green bailed Aldridge out from the social and media onslaught Harden is facing right now.

Ready for a competitive Wiz/Celtics game tonight.