DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA Playoffs: QUARTERFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

20 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wizards scored the first sixteen points. And then spent the final three quarters getting their asses kicked. 

Shit, I know I thought it was over.  But once the Celts cut it to five at the half I felt they'd pull it off. Wizards could not for the life of them cover the 3-point line and that's not going to work out well against the C's.   

The one negative out of this all.  I do not expect Crowder to hit 6-8 from 3 the rest of the series. He was lights out. 

Early on, Rockets are tearing the Spurs defense to shreds.

Last year, the Thunder overwhelmed them with pure, raw athleticism. The Rockets are just exploiting their inability to defend the PnR.

1 minute ago, Lawful Metal said:

Is this real life?

They gotta find a way to cover shooters when Harden is working, or you're going to be a very happy man.

Super entertaining game, particularly the 4th. It'll be interesting to see how the Celts match up with Cleveland. Right now it doesn't look like the Cavs will lose a game until the finals. 

I gotta say how fucking great TNT's coverage of the NBA is, particularly in comparison to ESPN. They have the best play by play guys, McHale is a treasure on commentary and the inside crew is hilarity. Fuck Mark Jackson. 

I'm on the Jazz bandwagon but this is not looking good. Maybe they make some adjustments between game 1 and 2. I hope... 

Unless the Jazz slow the game down and make it an ugly defensive game (a la what the Cavs did the 1st time they faced the Warriors in the Finals without KLove/Kyrie), they ain't winning shit.   Even then, I don't like their chances.   

I'll bite my tongue about the Celtics/Wizards, and hope Beal and the Wizards bench play better in the capital.  John Wall looked gassed at the end.

Edited by _MJ_

1 hour ago, _MJ_ said:

Unless the Jazz slow the game down and make it an ugly defensive game (a la what the Cavs did the 1st time they Warriors in the Finals without KLove/Kyrie), they ain't winning shit.   Even then, I don't like their chances.   

You're telling me this isn't going to help the Jazz?

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Poor John Wall. 40-3-13-3-3 and nobody is even gonna notice cause Thomas went the fuck off.

First time in NBA history a playoff game has a 40 point performance on the opposite end of a 50 point performance. IT is just unreal.  Shame LeBron is going to obliterate them. 

Well, the refs sure took over at the start of the fourth quarter there.  Academy awards should be in play for Ginobli and Patty Mills.  I guess I shouldn't have expected much from a Tony Brothers / Ken Foster crew officiating. 

Sucks about Parker.  Still happy we got the split in San Antonio.  All the Rockets have to do is win their home games. 

Here's Patty Mills getting sniped:

And this was a make up call for this "flop" where Harden catches an elbow to the face:

Game 1 was reffed by Ken Mauer's crew.  Game 2 was reffed by Tony Brothers.  Both have axes to grind for whatever reason against the Rockets.  Result?  Spurs shoot more free throws than the #1 free throw shootingest team in the NBA in both games.  Harden only shot six free throws in Game 2, two sets of three free throws.  ZERO calls on drives to the basket, which is insane because he's getting fouled every single time he drives. 

And Pau Gasol got Trevor Ariza in a headlock and threw him out of bounds and it was somehow a double foul.  I don't know what Houston has ever done to Tony Brothers, but he needs to get over it.  Ken Mauer too.  Even beating the Spurs by 30 all game long resulted in less free throws than the Spurs.  Go figure.  Of course, goes to show that good shooting can overcome bad officiating.  But the change in momentum in the 4th was caused in large part in the Spurs being allowed to foul indiscriminately to get stops and the Rockets getting called for some ticky tack stuff on the other end for and-1s. 

And fuck Patty Mills.  What grown man goes by Patty?