DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Land of Opportunity 4/25/17

Niners Fan in CT

Say what you will about some of the talent but the shows just feels so much fresher to me with all this opportunity being thrown around. Fashion Police, Naomi/Charlotte, and The Maharajah. Note to RAW: sometimes simple is better.  A wealthy foreign heel steals the championship and rides off with his stable in a limo.  Perfect.  Less said about Ziggler.... the better. 

oYozJj.gif

• Like 6

Corbin/AJ was nice. I dug Owens and Corbin choosing to just beat the shit out of AJ instead of fighting over it.

The Jinder stuff just ends up FF material for me.

I'm pleased Breeze and Fandango are getting a title shot. The two have been fun and are generally solid team when given the chance. Feels weird though with neither them or the Usos being faces.

Naomi/Charlotte was nice once again though you could still tell they were still trying to get used to each other while also holding back. Hopefully the next match they feel comfortable enough and are given the chance to just go all out. I actually dug the ending. Its the first time I think so many of SDL's women were given the main event segment. I'm curious where they plan to go with all of this.

The crowd was starting to get behind Fandango during the match tonignt. I could see this Usos program turning FaBreeze face, and then they can just be the fun opening match comedy act we all want them to be.

I would enjoy Jinder's gimmick much more if he borrowed a bit from Finn and spouted off some Indian mythology references.

Everyone should know the correct pronunciation for the word, rakshasa.

• Like 4

I like that Mahal and the Fashion Police both won the #1 contender matches out of nowhere. It feels fresh and pleasantly surprising. Mahal riding off in the limo with the belt was a fun image.

Things are kinda weird right now with the title pictures though. They're building Mahal vs. Orton even though he still has to face Wyatt. Wyatt meanwhile is showing up on Raw to get involved there. Owens and Jericho have barely had any interaction in the last few weeks, and Owens is involving himself with Styles. It's like the company can't wait to just fast forward the next few weeks.

Ziggler tonight was awful, and the company is dumb for having a face with limited English speak in front of a bunch of idiots in fricken' Iowa of all places. If you're gonna have him speak, do it in front of a more cosmopolitan city where he's not going to get WHAT chants when he speaks.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cameron Swift said:

Things are kinda weird right now with the title pictures though. They're building Mahal vs. Orton even though he still has to face Wyatt.

The house of horror match is pretty clearly non-title.  It's a nice bit of layering where he still has to deal with Bray but Jinder is still right there waiting for his title match once Orton is done.  

Haven't seen the show but I am all for Fashion Police over AA/Usos #115 at this point.  

Also, if you didn't love them before, this...

God help me, I'm beginning to like Jinder.  His size makes him intimidating, he's got a good look for a heel and a killer heel sneer, and his promos have been surprisingly good the past few weeks.  I have a feeling my interest will die when they get in the ring, but for now, I'm kinda enjoying it.  They need to stop referring to his stooges as the Bollywood Boys, though.  The NXT random name generator couldn't come up with a name less intimidating.

I really hope they aren't turning Charlotte face.  If they are, I hope they turn Becky heel.  The heel side is three women who aren't great on the mic or the ring, so I see some terrible feuds if it's some combination of Tamina/Carmella/Natayla vs. Becky/Charlotte/Naomi.  On the other hand, Charlotte turning face and teaming with Becky to beat back the Welcoming Committee, then immediately turning on Becky to feud into Summer Slam would be amusingly predictable for the female Sting.

Ending to AA-Colons was weird considering Jordan was quite obviously not the legal man and the ref stood there like an idiot. I thought I somehow missed a tag, but nope. 

I liked the women's division stuff. Match felt really big and the crowd chanting for Becky was genuine. I'll repeat my talking point here that Becky is the real main roster Bayley and she has the added bonus of not acting like a child.

Jinder taking the title and leaving was interesting. Maybe they're planning on having Orton off for a few weeks after the House of Horrors deal?

Rusev is gonna be so good on this show when he comes back.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cameron Swift said:

Ziggler tonight was awful, and the company is dumb for having a face with limited English speak in front of a bunch of idiots in fricken' Iowa of all places. If you're gonna have him speak, do it in front of a more cosmopolitan city where he's not going to get WHAT chants when he speaks.

The crowd chanting WHAT at Nakamura was cringeworthy. That chant is obviously never going to die. I initially thought it was funny when Austin first starting doing it, but anyone still doing it deserves to be fucking pistol whipped.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

God help me, I'm beginning to like Jinder.  His size makes him intimidating, he's got a good look for a heel and a killer heel sneer, and his promos have been surprisingly good the past few weeks. 

I hate his finisher, though, even though I know he's doing it as tribute to his uncle, Gama Singh.

He just needs to make dudes tap out to the regular Cobra Clutch like Gama Singh did.

• Like 1

I forgot to add that bit about Rusev. For those who didn't see it, Rusev is basically holding out for a better contract or just more perks.  He wants a title match at Money in the Bank.  This could mean U.S. title match AJ Styles vs. Rusev.  Which means....  SEVEN STARS. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ramo2653 said:

I don't understand why they're trying to make Charlotte face. It doesn't work.

I don't think it's a bad idea. As a heel she's been well into the phase where they're done with people chasing her and they've started consistently beating her.

You can either keep that going and have her put over Naomi and then disappear.  Put her over Naomi and start the process all over again on Smackdown or make her look strong again by having her take down a team of heels...people she can beat without it seeming like a retread of her Raw storyline.

As long as they don't make her start trying to be nice and funny and let her still be kind of an asshole while she stands up for herself. In other words, as long as they don't make the same mistake they always make.

4 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I don't understand why they're trying to make Charlotte face. It doesn't work.

You make Charlotte a face long enough to set up the big 3 on 3 match. Charlotte/Becky/Naomi vs. Nattie/Carmella/Tamina. The heel trio take out  Charlotte prior to the bout. During the match the heels take out Naomi so Becky's fighting 3 on 1. Just as the numbers game catches up to Becky, out comes Charlotte, bandaged up and limping. She gets on the apron, Becky makes an amazing comeback and finally makes the hot tag and then Charlotte takes Becky to school and lays her out.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, piranesi said:

As long as they don't make her start trying to be nice and funny and let her still be kind of an asshole while she stands up for herself. In other words, as long as they don't make the same mistake they always make.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. The best possible face version of Charlotte was the one after she lost her series to Sasha in NXT and she was floating around waiting to get called up. She didn't really change much outside of helping out Bayley against Dana and Emma but that was enough besides that, she was pretty much the same. But if we get "Divas Revolution" face Charlotte, then it'll tank again.