DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Kalisto Is Garbage Like All of You - 4/24/2017

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, caley said:

I liked the Rollins/Balor/Cass-Club/Joe match until Joe started punching Rollins in his surgically-repaired knee, only to be stopped by Balor, so Rollins just does his springboard whatever without acting like a giant Samoan killing machine was JUST punching him in his surgically-repaired knee!

The whole point of that was to show his knee is healthier now than it was at Mania. Don't discourage subtlety in WWE.

I think Rollins' new finisher will get over just fine. It's way better than the pedigree. It would've gotten over faster if he started using it right after he smashed Cena's face, though.

I'll take more of Alexa and Sasha being catty to each other on the mic. It'll never happen, but I'd dig Sasha and Bayley turning into an oblivious heel duo with Alexa going mega-face. It feels like crowds have been wanting to cheer Alexa for a while, and she's cool enough on the mic to make it work. "5 feet of fury" merch would sell. Meanwhile, Bayley's face run is going flat and I think she'd actually be an awesome heel. She could definitely channel that annoyingly positive heel that thinks she's a face or just go full "you don't appreciate me" and she has some nice submission based offense that's going to waste as a face.

Similarly, I cringe at Braun cutting cheap heat promos. There's another guy crowds are dying to cheer, but they won't even keep the door open by just letting him stay consistent with his character and not acknowledge anyone. There's no reason he should care about fans one way or the other.

The third "finger far from the pulse" strike would be if Apollo didn't embrace the Titus brand. There were audible chants for Curt Hawkins in his match for god's sake. He has no future as a face right now.

Seeing the Hardys come out and do their Team Xtreme gimmick in 2K17 is just odd to me.  And not particularly interesting.  I imagine this is sorta what it would be like going to a 80's hair metal band's concert in 2017.  The band is mostly the same guys and they're still wearing tight leather pants and mesh t-shirts, but the drummer is bald, the lead guitarist in 320 pounds, and the singer's voice is shot from too many late nights of whiskey chased with meth.  The nostalgia dies quickly once you hear Kip Winger murder a power ballad even worse than he did in 1987 and the whole thing becomes a Saturday Night Live skit instead.

I liked the Broken Hardys stuff, but not enough to pretend I'm interested in this.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Seeing the Hardys come out and do their Team Xtreme gimmick in 2K17 is just odd to me.  And not particularly interesting.  I imagine this is sorta what it would be like going to a 80's hair metal band's concert in 2017.  The band is mostly the same guys and they're still wearing tight leather pants and mesh t-shirts, but the drummer is bald, the lead guitarist in 320 pounds, and the singer's voice is shot from too many late nights of whiskey chased with meth.  The nostalgia dies quickly once you hear Kip Winger murder a power ballad even worse than he did in 1987 and the whole thing becomes a Saturday Night Live skit instead.

I liked the Broken Hardys stuff, but not enough to pretend I'm interested in this.

I kind of like how the Hardys are now, but I still maintain it's all just building up to when they become broken.  You need to establish the condition being contained while they have the belts.  Watch what happens when they lose it and this will be all worth it.

It saddens me that Bayley's getting booed.  It doesn't help that she's against Alexa who was crushing it (what a masterful way to shut down the "What?" chant)  Thinking back to Bayley's appearance on Jericho's podcast if she had her way she'd be brought in working her way up to the belt and I agree.  Having her already established and pushed to a degree hurt her from the start.  They might be killing time until Summerslam, but Sasha needs to turn on her immediately.  Four months of build leading up to their match is doable and it would help to fix some of the things that have gone down.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

When you have two divisions of 5 people, it's hard to work your way up. You beat Alicia Fox and you're like the #2 person in the division.

Eh, I think they could have made it work with 5.  Smackdown's women's roster did just fine with 6 and that was despite folks like Eva Marie being part of it.  Then again, Raw's division wasn't up to snuff anyway right for awhile.  Not to fantasy book, but if Bayley feuded with a couple lower level mean girls (Alicia, Dana, etc.) that could have helped people see she's ready for the title.  Then when it's time to feud with Charlotte have her actually win it at WM instead of the PPV beforehand.

It's easier to make a small division work when your show has 4 less hours to fill per month. SDL is already running it's second Charlotte/Naomi match so maybe they want to be more like Raw. If Sasha turns on Bayley she will be cheered. It's a bummer to see Bayley botched on the main roster, but most of us had a feeling this would happen. It's makes me appreciate what Becky has done even more by getting over as a mostly squeaky clean babyface.

11 hours ago, piranesi said:

New Bechdel Test for WWE shows:

1) Were two or more black wrestlers in a scene with no white wrestlers?

2) If yes, did they immediately form a tag team?

3) If no, did they immediately start feuding?

4) If no, were they advertising chicken or caffeine pills?

One of the questions needs to be "did they complain about being held back by management?"

Oh, and "Did they start singing and/or dancing?"

• Like 1

If you're gonna steal a finisher, steal a finisher. The crowd that's familiar with NJPW knows it as a move Omega hits as a flash counter, not even a nearfall. To those who aren't familiar, it's just convoluted. Barrett's bullhammer elbow didn't get over until he dropped the wrist-lock/spin set-up, and just slugged the guy. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy Trump said:

The Haas pop should be renamed the Crews pop after last night.

Crowd gave absolutely ZERO reaction to his music hitting, when he came out, and when he won.  Just sat on their hands in silence.

Are you sure Crews pops deserve it and not the "Perkins Pop?"

At least with Crews you could see one or two people clapping in the crowd. With Perkins the last two weeks, you could hear a pin drop.

24 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

Alexa is really not that good...Also kittens are over rated, and I never really saw what the big deal is about rainbows either

Can't we just be allowed to like stuff? I'll concede that Alexa has a ways to go in ring, but I think she's been killing it with her character work since the call up to Smackdown last year.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

Alexa is really not that good...on the mic or in the ring. She's not horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but I think a lot of you are just infatuated. 

I'm not nearly as infatuated with Alexa as @The Natural is, but while she's not the best in-ring her mic work is pretty great.  She's got her character down pat and knows how to handle stupid shit like the "What?!" chants.  To say she's not that good on the mic is a tad perplexing.

Also, I'm getting tired of people saying somebody is not good and all that shit like it's gospel.  If you don't like somebody just say it, but don't act like it's on objective truth.  We could use more "He/She is not one I care for" or "He/She is not my cup of tea" around here.

• Like 4

I didn't say if you were a big fan of her, then you suck or did I point to any poster in particular, so pull your underwear out of your crack. 

I don't think her mic skills see anything special. So what?  I think her primos seem forced, although not as bad as Sasha(who I totally adore). Matter of fact, ALL the whole women's division promos sound read straight off of a script  

To be honest, she really wasn't a board favorite until she did the Harley Quinn cosplay. So yes, my opinion is that some folks are just digging the tiny pants. 

You might agree, you might not. Either way, I'll sleep like a baby. 

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

Can't we just be allowed to like stuff? I'll concede that Alexa has a ways to go in ring, but I think she's been killing it with her character work since the call up to Smackdown last year.

I saw Alexa on the UK NXT tour last year. Even though she was facing Asuka and NOONE questioned the outcome at all, she was great at riling up the crowd, stalling and she really laid her offence in too. I honestly thought she was one of the best performers on the whole show in terms of engaging the audience. Lot of time for her. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

To be honest, she really wasn't a board favorite until she did the Harley Quinn cosplay. So yes, my opinion is that some folks are just digging the tiny pants. 

Not a favorite per say, but people were into her even back when she was a face. Sadly I don't really disagree that a lot of it was due to her looks. Her face interviews were bad with her coming off as natural heel in many of them. In ring wise she was never much better than Carmella in NXT, but many claimed otherwise. Even back then I recall people talking about her as the next Trish before she actually made any improvements. That said, she has improved quite bit since then. She still isn't good in ring wise, but she is generally ok. And I think you sell her character and promo work far too short. She manages a decent manipulation of crowd and was especially great whenever she was paired with Bryan on SDL. They two played off of each other perfectly with Bryan constantly needling her.

• Like 2