DVDVR Message Board

2017 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

Pirates technically didn't premiere as of yesterday.  There were Thursday night screenings but I believe that all gets counted in today's numbers.  Basically it's the same reason that I didn't include Alien: Covenant in last week's update.

Baywatch's release date was yesterday so it gets one day's worth of results in this update.

In Box Office news, both Pirates 5 and Baywatch will debut lower than expected thus continuing the legacy of films disappointing in holiday weekends.

Pirates 5 will end up around $75 million and Baywatch will be less than $30 million. So the crappy reviews probably took both down a lot.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In Box Office news, both Pirates 5 and Baywatch will debut lower than expected thus continuing the legacy of films disappointing in holiday weekends.

Pirates 5 will end up around $75 million and Baywatch will be less than $30 million. So the crappy reviews probably took both down a lot.

Well, it's been a good year folks. See y'all in 2018.

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I don't know a single person on social media that has said they want to see another Pirates film. I have no idea who is going to those things anymore.

Are they big internationally like the Transformers pieces of shit?

22 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I'm guessing Pirates is coasting by on past glory, and it will be diminishing returns if they keep putting them out until it is just another IP.

I don't know why they decided to do it for $230 million. That's kinda baffling.

On 5/18/2017 at 5:03 AM, RIPPA said:

As I said in the upcoming movie thread - the Emoji movie is gonna make two trillion dollars and he like 98% on RT and it will no longer be a world I want to live in

Well, I don't really want that to be a hit either as the idea itself is pretty asinine and it doesn't help improve my dim view of modern-day Hollywood. I just had the suspicion that it would be.

On 5/26/2017 at 10:50 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Man. I am really on a limb that the Emoji Movie is gonna be a surprise hit.

Me too, me too.

11 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Yeah they are. The last one made a billion dollars worldwide and more than 3/4 of that was internationally, so it's no surprise they are flogging a dead horse there. This one will probably make a lot overseas too.

8 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Apparently Alien Covenant dropped 80% Friday to Friday so anyone hoping for it to have legs may have a bad time there.

That doesn't make me feel good. I was hoping it'd make more money than Prometheus domestically but now I am not sure if that will be the case. I also expected more from Baywatch and while those trailers made it look bad in my eyes, my comedic tastes are different from a lot of people so I can't expect that to be an accurate barometer. At least domestically, what a horrid year for Paramount so far. I have to hope that some other movies bomb, which is a definite possibility. 

Pirates made over $300 million worldwide so far (thank god worldwide doesn't count for this) but yeah - that's why they keep making them.

Though I believe this is the last one or at least the last one with Johnny Depp so that ship might have sailed

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Pirates made over $300 million worldwide so far (thank god worldwide doesn't count for this) but yeah - that's why they keep making them.

Though I believe this is the last one or at least the last one with Johnny Depp so that ship might have sailed

They can always do a completely CGI Johnny Depp and not actually have Johnny Depp.

On 5/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

the Wonder Woman embargo ends at 9 pm PT May 29 (or midnight eastern May 30).

The embargo has been lifted and it currently sits at 95% (18 fresh out of 19 reviews). It started at 100% with the first 18 being fresh.

On a quick refresh, now it's at 96%. 22 out of 23.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The embargo has been lifted and it currently sits at 95% (18 fresh out of 19 reviews). It started at 100% with the first 18 being fresh.

On a quick refresh, now it's at 96%. 22 out of 23.

Great start. Wonder Woman's RT rating was my hardest call. I went by the trailers, posters and photos. All them delivered. Against it, the DCEU so far and number of comic book films released.