DVDVR Message Board

2017 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

11 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Hey, Ross' entry means we have more participants than we did in 2016.  Good stuff.

I need to stop slacking on decide on at least two titles to offer to the prize list

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Covenant is at 79% with 42 reviews. That's good news for my RT list if it continues to hover around that.

#6 on mine. I wavered on Alien: Covenant's spot for my Rotten Tomatoes list. Same for Spider-Man: Homecoming and Wonder Woman. The Dark Tower another.

Rippa is contributing three more dvds to the prizes!

First is the Criterion HIS GIRL FRIDAY.

MV5BOTU4ODdjNDYtZjk0Zi00ZDBmLTllODEtMzQ5

When hard-charging New York newspaper editor Walter Burns (Cary Grant) discovers that his ex-wife, investigative reporter Hildy Johnson (Rosalind Russell), has gotten engaged to milquetoast insurance agent Bruce Baldwin (Ralph Bellamy), he unsuccessfully tries to lure her away from tame domestic life with a story about the impending execution of convicted murderer Earl Williams. But when Hildy discovers Williams may be innocent, her reporter instincts take over.

Second is TRAIN TO BUSAN.

MV5BMTkwOTQ4OTg0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQy

While a zombie virus breaks out in South Korea, passengers struggle to survive on the train from Seoul to Busan.

And finally, for the last place finisher - XANADU.

MV5BMTczMjcyOTA0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE5

Struggling artist Sonny Malone (Michael Beck) is trapped in a dull job painting album covers. He is instantly attracted to Kira (Olivia Newton-John), an anonymous woman randomly photographed in the background of one of his assignments, but no one is able to identify her. Visiting the auditorium where the cover was shot, Sonny finds the mysterious beauty, an ageless Greek muse, who encourages him to team up with old-fashioned Danny McGuire (Gene Kelly) to build a roller-skating disco.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RossWB said:

KING ARTHUR at 15% on RT with 27 reviews in.

That's a good start for folks (like me!) who dumped it low in the RT list...

So lambast it is...

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Second is TRAIN TO BUSAN.

MV5BMTkwOTQ4OTg0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQy

While a zombie virus breaks out in South Korea, passengers struggle to survive on the train from Seoul to Busan.

This is mine. MINE!

On 4/24/2017 at 3:31 PM, SorceressKnight said:

In, even though I'm so usually near the bottom that there should eventually just be a memorial booby prize named for me for last place finisher,  receiving a really, really bad movie. That they have to watch and report on to DVDVR.

...at least then I'd finish next to last.

Just requoting since the addition of a last place finish award, so that the spirit of the suggestion continues. And I expect this to bite me in the ass.

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

So lambast it is...

This is mine. MINE!

The fuck it is, yo.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And the copy of Xanadu has @J.T. name all over it

We will see.  I have rarely done well in these things, but I have yet to finish dead last.

16 hours ago, RossWB said:

This bodes well for me, but it cannot be shittier than The Emoji Movie or Baywatch.

It also needs to pull in modest but not spectacular box office dollars.

Good(???) News is that King Arthur is up to 18% with 34 reviews

Still - without looking - I feel like we rarely have multiple films down in the teens. Usually there are a few in the 30%s and then one absolute shitty one

God - now I am curious as to what the lowest rated movie was in one of these polls

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

God - now I am curious as to what the lowest rated movie was in one of these polls

My somewhat educated guess would be John Carter.

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I haven't looked through everything, but Hot Pursuit in 2015 had 7%.  (Narrowly beating Fantastic Four which had 9%)

20 hours ago, RossWB said:

Without looking at people's lists, I'm going to assume a lot of us expected it to be a stinker.

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Without looking at people's lists, I'm going to assume a lot of us expected it to be a stinker.

Yes.  Of 24 entrants, 17 of us put King Arthur at 12th or lower on our RT lists.

• Like 1