DVDVR Message Board

Mogur vs. As Charro (9/18/87)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

Now here's what a I really like to see, two guys who I've never heard of having a great match 20 odd years ago.  Charro looks awesome in the first fall, hitting a cool bicycle kick off a front cartwheel, a top rope knee strike to the outside and ending the fall with a deadlift German.  Third fall is just great, tons of awesome action and feels like a total war.  Charro hits a tope and a crazy top rope dive and Mogur an awesome fake out dive off the apron.  Some great moves and sequences at the end and some believable near finishes; ending is really cool as well.  This will do well for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Charro has this awesome mask with a spade on the face and in the pre-match interview also has his kid wearing one too as he is interviewed in dead seriousness by Dr. Morales... then as soon as the match starts he's kicking the shit out of Mogur before he can even get his jacket off and we definitely know he's not a tecnico. Tim is 100% correct about the first fall, if you are gonna blast through and end it quick you might as well do it like that. No replays this time as it jumps right back to the action. Mogur is selling his ass off during his comeback while whooping the piss out of Charro and we get another short fall. Charro does this hilarious deadfall off a posting that is like something you would see in a silent film. Then he does a dive and you think these guys are totally spent until we get a fake-out and a Mogur dive right in front of an incredulous grandfather. Then there's ANOTHER plancha and these two are done. We get a crappy foule-fake faceoff and a flash pin and the crowd loses it and crowds the ring. Really awesome for such a short match despite the bunk finish and lack of demasking.  

Oh man, can I please please please see every As Charro match ever. His offense is sooooooo fucking awesome. He's got awesome punches, a bicycle kick, what looks like a rider kick to the floor, and he tops it all off with a Tamon Honda style delayed german suplex!? I wish he was a bit more subtle about getting his blade ready but that's just one misstep and a rather subtle one at that. The match itself was good but not amazing. I feel like some of this may have been clipped but I can't tell.

• 9 months later...

This match really has some brutal moments.  It seems like Mogur is bleeding pretty much from the outset, and Charro joins him before long.  That leap feet-first off the top turnbuckle to the floor was killer.  Charro had some pretty sweet punches.  They both sold the blood-loss exhaustion quite well in the third fall.  This is a solid mid-range match for me.  It wasn't too long, and I enjoyed it while it lasted.

• 2 months later...

Rewatching some of this in time for the voting and why not bust out disc 7? 

Man, that Ryder kick from the top is just enormous. You can hear the impact when boots meet torso. That was a really fly forward roll-into-bicycle kick that I could see Van Dam stealing if he ever saw this match; also everyone's sleeping on the sweet reverse armdrag thing he does that messes with Mogur's injured arm. It's kinda like he's gonna do a Northern Lights suplex but throws with the armlock instead. The granddad right behind the tope en reversa off the apron was loving it! Really didn't mind the finish as much this time, both guys were just cooked, each trying to fake the foule and the ref not buying either, then Charro shakes like an epileptic for the last pinfall but can't squeeze out. Really cool match to dig back into the set with.

That kick from the top rope to the outside by As Charro looked nuts. Then the dead lift german on top of it was a nice way to cap off a super short first fall. The clip immediately into the second fall is a bit disorienting but I'll roll with it over it a long rest period. I'm a fan of brevity! The crowd is hot for Mogur but he doesn't quite seem to know what to do while he's in control. I did like his submission that ended the 2nd fall though. Mogur rips As Charro's mask in the 3rd fall but I'm not really feeling the hate like in some of the real high end singles matches on the set. Just as I'm starting to turn on this match As Charro hits a fucking king size bicycle kick that wakes me up and then follows it up with a dive. I liked Mogur psyching out As Charro on a dive and then jumping on him off the apron. I like the idea of the finish, playing off As Charro not being able to dead lift Mogur for the german suplex like he did in the first fall, but the execution could have been a lot better. This was a good, not great match, but kind of impressive in the fact that I don't get the sense that either of these guys were really good workers.