DVDVR Message Board

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Even though I knew it individually about each team, I only just now put it together in my head that the winningiest team ever in each of the 4 major U.S. sports (2015-16 73-9 Warriors, 2007 16-0 Patriots, 2001 116-46 Mariners, 1995-96 62-13-7 Red Wings, and 1906 116-36 Cubs) all failed to win a title. That's really kinda strange.

The Seven Seconds or Less Suns teams. They won 60+ games in a season twice in a four-year run. They blew the roofs off of a lot of major offensive categories and reinvented basketball. The strategy was among the first "Moneyball" tactics deployed in the NBA -- shooting percentages go way up the earlier a shot goes off against the 24, so shoot as many early shots as possible via a fast break or before a defense can get set. The constant pick'n'roll plays we see now (especially with the best teams like Golden State and San Antonio and, duh, Houston) all stem from what Phoenix was doing. The NBA of the past few years -- small ball, fast pace, a lot of threes -- does not happen without the 7 Seconds or Less Suns.

They made one bad roster move in letting Joe Johnson leave. They also had an insane amount of bad breaks through those years -- The Bruce Bowen Suspensions, Amare getting hurt -- and also ran into Tim Duncan in his prime. 

The great Kings teams with Weber and Vlade, also. 

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nobody is ever going to feel sorry for a Yankees team that comes up short

That's fine. I don't feel sorry for other fanbases. The topic is best teams to fall short and the 2001 Yankees are one of them.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's fine. I don't feel sorry for other fanbases. The topic is best teams to fall short and the 2001 Yankees are one of them.

I don't know, that's the year the Mariners were the literal best regular season team in modern history. I have a hard time saying the team that finished 21 games behind Seattle an all-time great team.

37 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know, that's the year the Mariners were the literal best regular season team in modern history. I have a hard time saying the team that finished 21 games behind Seattle an all-time great team.

and they were beaten pretty easily in 5 games

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Fun fact: one of Seattle's 46 loses that year was the biggest blown lead of all-time. Seattle was up 12-0 - and lost. 

• Like 2

85, 87 and 88 Mets. The dynasty that never was. If there was a wild card in the 80's the Mets would've been in the playoffs every year from 84-89.

17 hours ago, Tabe said:

Fun fact: one of Seattle's 46 loses that year was the biggest blown lead of all-time. Seattle was up 12-0 - and lost. 

Also, their first year without A-Rod and Unit. Shows just how amazing Ichiro was that year.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Also, their first year without A-Rod and Unit. Shows just how amazing Ichiro was that year.

If only he could have played his entire career in the US, so he could have broken Pete Rose's record.

If Pete Rose were Hulk Hogan, then Ichiro is Ric Flair: The Real World Champion.

• Like 1

I don't think that a team who won a championship within a year or two of their "best team to never win a championship" year really counts, so to my mind those two New York suggestions are out. I mean, is the core of the team going to have changed so much in that time? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

He was ridiculously great that year.  He hit .460 (63 ABs) that year with 2 outs and RISP.  I remember watching a game late that year and he came up late in a game with 2 outs and...I think...the bases loaded.  I was as certain as the sun coming up that Ichiro would get a hit - and he did.  

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2017 at 11:16 PM, Tabe said:

Not only up 12-0, but up 14-2 going into the goddamned bottom of the 7th. I almost turned off that game because I figured, "Eh, this is done." I really should have turned it off. Worst experience watching televised baseball, ever.

• Like 1

The Harbaugh Era 49ers especially the Kap years. They lost an NFC title game to the Giants in overtime.  They lost on the last play of the game in the Super Bowl against the Ravens.  They lost on the last play of the game on the road against the Seahawks in the NFC title game.  Absolutely loaded on defense especially at linebacker.  On offense you got Kap slinging it,  Frank Gore,  Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis.  They were incredibly balanced.  

• Like 1