DVDVR Message Board

On 4/20/2017 at 10:27 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

I'm certain the NFL Network mentioned them at length, but Bud Grant's Minnesota Vikings don't just fit this category, they invented it.

They're why this phenomenon is a discussion topic

I never felt that way about those Vikings teams.  Their 4 Super Bowl losses showed the AFC was superior at that time as the Vikings were undersized and the Purple People Eaters got mauled by the monster offensive lines they went up against.  The only Vikings team I would put on this list is the 1998 team

I have some examples that may fit later, but I'll at least acknowledge my one homer pick for now.

2004 Auburn Tigers. Due to the convoluted way that College Football has decided a champion until recently (and maybe even to this day), you could argue that this one shouldn't technically count, but that was a very memorable season and a very memorable team who had an "eff you" attitude after underperforming huge expectations the prior year. (Started the year ranked #3 and ended up being 0-2 to start the season). Plus, you can't convince me that the USC team that year would wipe the floor with that Auburn team. Stingiest defense in college football at the time with a remarkable backfield. To a certain extent, Auburn not making the title game in 04 only for Oklahoma to get annihilated by USC is a small part of the reason why 2005's Vince Young game is spoken about in "all timer" tones.

The correct answer for the NBA right now is probably the LA Clippers.  They make the playoffs with plus 600 records and still usually bow out in the first round.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The correct answer for the NBA right now is probably the LA Clippers.  They make the playoffs with plus 600 records and still usually bow out in the first round.

They are the best team to never really compete for a title. They are one of only two teams to have won fifty games each of the last five seasons. The other is the Spurs. San Antonio has a title and a game seven finals loss. The Clippers haven't made the WCF.

I said it the other day in the first round thread: they are the poster child for a team that is too good to become great. Too good to get good draft picks, too good not to pay their guys, leaving them no flexibility.

• Like 1

I don't know how good those Clippers teams were though.  I always thought that their 3 best players are redundant, and they'd never be able to reach their full potential as long as all three were on the team.  Blake Griffin spent his entire career playing at around 56% of his potential.  He is someone who should have an offense built around his skill set, because he is a really good ball handler, and a great passer for his size, but could never really do those things because that is Chris Paul's role on the team.  Not only that, he's a great rebounder, and an elite pick and roll big, but that is DeAndre's role on the team.  They should have traded one of their big 3 a couple years ago, but there is no way they'd get reasonable value back for any of those guys.  

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't know how good those Clippers teams were though..  

The Clippers were good enough to become the new Lakers and the current Lakers are now the old shitty Clippers.

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The Clippers were good enough to become the new Lakers and the current Lakers are now the old shitty Clippers.

The Clippers aren't the new Lakers though, they are just an above average NBA team.  In order to be the new Lakers, they'd have to win something, get Jack Nicholson to go to their games, or at least be likeable.  They failed on all three levels.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Clippers gotta make it out of the second round at least once if they want to be the new Lakers.

The '02 Jayhawks are my answer for this question.  Gooden, Hinrich, Collison, Langford, Miles were all killers and they got jobbed out in the Final Four to Maryland and Steve Fucking Blake.

'96-'97 Jayhawks with Pierce/LaFrentz/Vaughan/Pollard get honorable mention.

• Like 1

If we're talking college, I'll put the 1992-1993 Hoosiers out there.  Spent most of the year at #1, won the Big Ten with a 17-1 conference record.  Alan Henderson's injury was major blow and they didn't make it past Kansas in the Elite 8.  Without a healthy Henderson, they just couldn't hang with Kansas' frontline and lost by six.  Obviously a parallel to the 1974-1975 Hoosiers team that lost Scott May, a team that belongs on here, too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, supremebve said:

The Clippers aren't the new Lakers though, they are just an above average NBA team.  In order to be the new Lakers, they'd have to win something, get Jack Nicholson to go to their games, or at least be likeable.  They failed on all three levels.

Tinashe sits court side at their home games. Honestly, I'd rather see her than old Jack. :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Tinashe sits court side at their home games. Honestly, I'd rather see her than old Jack. :D

I just googled Tinashe...Jack Nicholson can go fuck himself.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2017 at 9:17 PM, gatling said:

If we're talking college, I'll put the 1992-1993 Hoosiers out there.  Spent most of the year at #1, won the Big Ten with a 17-1 conference record.  Alan Henderson's injury was major blow and they didn't make it past Kansas in the Elite 8.  Without a healthy Henderson, they just couldn't hang with Kansas' frontline and lost by six.  Obviously a parallel to the 1974-1975 Hoosiers team that lost Scott May, a team that belongs on here, too.

I was just telling someone about that.

That was also the only time i ever won a march madness pool. Most everyone in the IU Journalism/IDS pool went homer. I picked UNC/Michigan, yet rooted against both every round. Luckily, i won the pool & Michigan Lost. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I was just telling someone about that.

That was also the only time i ever won a march madness pool. Most everyone in the IU Journalism/IDS pool went homer. I picked UNC/Michigan, yet rooted against both every round. Luckily, i won the pool & Michigan Lost. 

I was in 8th grade that year.  I won two pools that year, including the teachers pool for the first of four years running(I gave a 20% cut to my science teacher to put in my entry each year), and cleared about $200 but then lost a $20 side bet thanks to Webber's timeout call.  

• 4 weeks later...

Talking round-football / soccer, I'd throw in late nineties / early 2000s Bayer Leverkusen. They finished runners up in the Bundesliga on numerous occasions, had players like Schneider and Ballack and played riveting footie. The pinnacle of choking away titles came in 2002 when they lost a suprisingly competitive UEFA Champions League final to Real Madrid despite being at the very least on the same level and had a big amount of chances. They lost two out of their last two Bundesliga games, one of them at home, the other to a team battling relegation. A draw in one of the two games would have won the Championship on GD. To top things of, they lost the Cup final to Schalke after taking the lead. It was a complete and utter collapse, but their squad between 1996 and 2002 was amazing and should have won one title at least.

The 1993 Giants owned the 1993 Phillies that year. If it wasn't for the Braves catching fire (after Fulton County Stadium caught on fire) then the WS would have been Toronto vs San Francisco. 

The 1994 Expos should have been the start of a 3 year dynasty at least. 

The early 00's Oakland A's were so damn fun. 

I still hate Jeremy Giambi.

• Like 1

The 1994 Expos will always be a massive "what if?" team. What if they make a deep playoff run, and use the money from that to keep the team together? Do they stay successful enough to get a new stadium? Does the team never leave? Does Pedro never leave?

On 4/21/2017 at 7:21 PM, El Dragon said:

To continue the mid 90's Indians thing, and I know the reason why they didn't win the series in 96 can just be listed as pitching, but here is a listing of position players who were on that team. 

Sandy Alomar Jr, Julio Franco, Carlos Baerga, Omar Visquel, Jim Thome, Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton, Manny Ramirez, Eddie Murray, Jeromy Burnitz, Brian Giles, Jeff Kent.

I'm curious were that ranks all time on "most position player talent on a baseball team" ever. 

Sadly this list shows what the Indians lacked. Pitching. Who'd they have? An old Nagy, old Morris, old Presidente?

I think Giles and Kent were gone by the time the Indians made their run. Kent might have been on Mets by the time the Indians were threats.