DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For MAY 17, 2017

RIPPA

Per PWI

Week 3

- Bobby Roode comes out and says Hideo Itami  may have knocked a few people out. He recaps Itami's career of getting hurt. Roode says he beat Nakamura so bad he ran away with his violin tucked between his legs. Roode says Itami will have to tell his kids how he failed because of Bobby Roode. Hideo Itami comes out. Regal and security try to hold him back, but Itami escapes and attacks Roode. Roode escapes and Itami lays security out. Roode comes back to sneak attack Itami, but gets a GTS for his trouble .

- Number 1 Contender Battle Royal for the NXT Women's Championship: There is no winner as Asuka attacks and lays out the final 3 of Ember Moon, Ruby Riot, and Nikki Cross 

Post match: William Regal announces a Fatal 4 Way for the Women's Championship 

- The Authors of Pain def  Sanity  (Eric Young and Alexander Wolfe w/ Nikki Cross  and Killian Dain) by DQ after Dain interferes.

Post match: Both sides brawl all over the place, taking out numerous security guys in the process. (Possible dark match)

Notes:

- Some notable names in the Battle Royal include NXT TV newcomers Bianca Blair and Victoria Gonzalez and Independent star Candice Lerae.

Per WON

- Bobby Roode came out for a promo. He ran down Shinsuke Nakamura and Hideo Itami, which led to Itami coming to the ring and laying Roode out with a GTS after fighting off security.

- A battle royal to determine a number one contender for the NXT Women's Championship ended in a no contest with Ember Moon, Ruby Riot, and Nikki Cross remaining

Asuka caused the no contest by destroying the final three. The participants in the match were: Candice LeRae, Rachael Ellering, Liv Morgan, Aliyah, Peyton Royce, Kimberly Frankele, Nikki Cross, Ruby Riot, Sarah Bridges, Victoria Gonzales, Bianca Blair, Billie Kay, Sonya Deville, and Lacey Evans. LeRae and Ellering got big reactions.

Regal came out after it was over to announce that Asuka will defend against Moon, Riot, and Cross in a fatal four-way match at TakeOver: Chicago.

Dark match main event --

- SAnitY vs. The Authors of Pain ended in a no contest

The teams brawled and had to be separated by security.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I ever want Asuka to lose her title. I could definitely see the women's title headlining a Takeover again with the Stardom girls coming in. I'm pretty shocked that both Drew and Alister Black will be on the pre show. I guess it's a plus if they can properly slow build those two for big matches down the line while still putting on a good show.

Evans/DeVille showed some nice flashes of potential and the finish looked excellent. Drew Mac continues to be awesome. He really got potatoed.

The Asuka segment was great.

• Like 1

I LOVE what they did with Asuka there. Awesome natural progression to her becoming a cocky ass.  Hopefully Ruby keeps developing because I think she's the right kind of babyface to knock her off.  Thought Hero and Sombra had a really solid match.

I'm just now getting back into NXT lately, after taking a break from Takeover: Toronto until now. I caught up on the last few weeks of TV, and I really like the direction they are going in. Everything feels fresh and focused for the first time in at least a year.

Plus one on Ohno/Almas being a fine match. Bad timing for Ohno coming back at the same time Drew Mac and Alister Black show up. They need more heels so I wouldn't mind seeing Ohno turn. I like Ruby, I like Ember, I think Nikki Cross is great, and I'm a big Peyton Royce fan. However with Kairi Hojo and Io Shirai signed I would be completely bummed out if we didn't get an Asuka Takeover title match against at least one of them.

Hojo is a fantastic babyface, and IMO is the perfect opponent for Asuka's current character. Io jumps off the screen as a special talent, and if her Lucha Underground appearance is any indication it'll take her about two seconds to get over.

If I had to pick someone from the current group for Asuka to drop the belt to it would be Nikki. She's on fire character wise, and the fans are starting to notice. She's better in the ring than what her character has allowed her to show, but as the fans start to babyface her she can start showing more of her wrestling ability. I selfishly want Asuka to stick around and go for two years as the champ. It feels like she's just hitting her stride a year+ into her title reign. With all the forced records crap WWE likes to do they have one here that feels natural. 

• Like 2

Not sure what was going on during the Roode promo, but definitely coming round to the idea that the Full Sail crowd needs to be cavalry charged at this point

Also is it me or has the audio mix on the commentary been fucked for like months to the point where you frequently can't hear them properly at all

The audio has been odd at times along with the camera work (I swear there's a shot they use of the ring where it looks like a yellow spot is in the bottom middle of the screen like someone has a magnet too close to the TV).

Also, I noticed when they had the announcers talking, they played the theme song with the lyrics which was distracting.

Agreed. Not a huge fan of her current gimmick, but she has all the right traits of someone who can go quite far. 

Edit: Daria ain't no slouch either, but Sonya Deville is a Disney level shitty villain name.

27 minutes ago, turk128 said:

I repeat, Lacey needs to do a homage to SNK Leona. Take your pick, whatever version of her would fit Lacey well.

Agreed.  They talk so much on commentary about her military background, plus that feature video of her acting like a drill sergeant with the new recruits.  The pinup gimmick just seems like a completely random idea, almost like something a Tough Enough contestent would do on an episode where they're pulling something from the gimmick wardrobe.