DVDVR Message Board

Aaron Hernandez Found Dead

RIPPA

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

If I had a buck for every time I said. "I knew (insert name), and they would never (insert action)," I'd be hella wealthy.

That being said, it is rather conspicuous that there is nothing resembling a suicide note per se being mentioned in the news reports.  Nothing written or verbal. 

Suicidal people tend to spirit dump before they decide to off themselves and with Aaron being a football player, you'd at least think that he would've done some sort of confessional with his agent or another confidant before hanging himself.

Then again, maybe he chose not to send up any flares and decided to get on with it before someone could talk him out of it.  Who knows?

Going to have to disagree (and it's already too late in some quarters, the "Hernandez was Murdered" folks are having a field day. One should be able to get the t-shirt tomorrow... Here's the thing, gansta first, football player second; with that in mind Hernandez is exactly the sort of person that wouldn't leave a suicide note because that would make him look "weak". And Lord knows, you've gotta protect your image while dangling in your cell... ;-(

I can't even bring myself to join the crowd of "what a waste, what a tragedy", well, yeah it def is for his daughter who will have to go through life with her  father's ghost sitting on her shoulder like an albatross, but other than that... Hernandez was a bad guy long before he got to the NFL. People were still trying (in vain) to straighten him out in college, with no less than Your Lord and Saviour, Tim Tebow assigned to the reclamation project. Okay, while I don't share the man's beliefs and definitely not his enthusiasm about said beliefs, I don't doubt Tim Tebow's sincerity for a second and I fully believe that he's a good guy that tries to help people. I've listened to a Tim Tebow motivational talk/ sermon, whatever the heck it was and the guy is good, really, really good. I can't imagine having that fire and energy directed at an individual in a one-on-one setting, the effect would have to be incredible. For someone to be given that treatment and not be profoundly affected tells me that they tossed away their human being card some time ago.

• Like 8

The thing Pete posted makes the most sense to me.

If it voids his conviction, it makes it hard for Odin Lloyd's family to pursue a civil suit and go after his (family's) money.

If he's never getting out, maybe he rationalized that it was the best thing he could do for them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I already "unfriended" one facebook acquaintance for their relentless stream of Hernandez memes, I'm no fan of the guy, but suicide isn't funny in the slightest. And all these memes I've seen are fucking lame. 

As far as social media goes Facebook is the absolute worst.  Facebook is the social network that I use for people I legitimately know in real life, and somehow these perfectly rational people turn into religious nutjobs, atheist nutjobs, conspiracy theorists, right wing nutjobs, left wing nutjobs, and/or racists as soon as they log into facebook.  

• Like 3

This whole saga is going to be an amazing 30 for 30 right?  LeBatard had a writer who did a profile on Hernandez' brother on his show yesterday, and he was talking about how the brother was devastated when their dad died.  He said he looked at Aaron, and he was kind of just standing there, not really crying or showing any emotion at all.  Everything we know about him seems to contradict everything else we know.  He seems devoid of human emotion, but gets so mad at disrespect he killed multiple people.  He seems to be able to kill without remorse, but then he suddenly kills himself.  There are multiple people who seem to love this dude deeply in a way I can't really wrap my head around.  Seriously, this needs to be the next multi-part OJ style miniseries.  It really seems like one of those stories that could go in 22354454354 different directions, and you'd never understand how or why he ended up where he did.

Hernandez apparently soaped the floor, had "John 3:16" written across his forehead, and had several suicide notes near his body.  

The going theory is he knew about abatement ab initio and killed himself to make sure his family could get paid his Patriots signing bonus (and not be sued by the survivors of the people he probably killed), since he is now technically innocent. 

I'm guessing the Patriots will scoff quite heartily at this, and this whole thing is going to go to court.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hernandez apparently soaped the floor, had "John 3:16" written across his forehead, and had several suicide notes near his body.  

The going theory is he knew about abatement ab initio and killed himself to make sure his family could get paid his Patriots signing bonus (and not be sued by the survivors of the people he probably killed), since he is now technically innocent. 

I'm guessing the Patriots will scoff quite heartily at this, and this whole thing is going to go to court.

I kinda hope that the team and the family reach a settlement with the money being put in a trust for the daughter because she is as much a victim of her father as anyone. Also would like to see Lloyd's family be given a significant portion as well.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Signing bonus beyond it- there's also the going question mark as well- since he is now technically innocent, could it be possible that his lawyers could claim that now he was wrongfully terminated by the Patriots in the first place (and not only get the Patriots signing bonus, but potentially even give his family one year's salary to try and live off of (since Hernandez's contract would have expired after this coming season, and the NFL has forced the Patriots to keep his salary cap hit since the murders happened.)

Anyone see this Newsweek story?

http://www.newsweek.com/aaron-hernandez-hidden-sexuality-murder-police-587879

The story goes on to specify that Hernandez was worried about his fiancee finding out through Lloyd about his "complicated sex life".

(Hernandez) was convicted in April 2015 for shooting and killing his friend, Odin Lloyd, seemingly without motive. But interviews with multiple law enforcement officials directly involved in the case say Lloyd—a semipro football player who was dating Hernandez’s fiance’s sister at the time—had information the football star did not want out: that he was bisexual.

One of the (suicide) notes left by Hernandez was to his prison boyfriend, who is now on 24/7 suicide watch, multiple law enforcement sources confirm. Hernandez’s sexuality would, of course, not be relevant save for the fact that an intimate relationship he allegedly had with a male former high school classmate was at the center of the investigation into Lloyd’s murder.

The Patriots wouldn't owe him any salary because in the NFL, salary isn't guaranteed. There is no such as thing as wrongful termination when it comes to salary, just the signing bonus. The more likely reason Hernandez killed himself is now his daughter can get his NFL pension, which is protected from civil lawsuits.

I'm sure there are still some with too much time on their hands that think he didn't commit suicide, but 100% of the evidence (baring the door, soaping the floor, suicide notes, etc.) shows he did, even if his lawyer that will lose money when he isn't paid for the appeals is claiming otherwise. While I have no issue with his brain being checked for CTE, I think those that knew him have already pinpointed when he first 'lost his way' and it wasn't football related. Now if they find any brain damage at all they will blame that on his crimes, which probably isn't the reality. Some people are bad people without brain damage.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2017 at 11:04 AM, J.T. said:

Hernandez's death brings closure to the families of the victims and not much else. 

His family (especially his daughter) will still have to live with the stigma of family name besmirched by a man who committed capital murder and then took his own life.

Not everyone's life will be better for his loss.  There is a young lady at my church that I am helping to counsel whose father committed suicide and now she's having to deal with the "Isn't your dad the crazy guy that blew his own head off?" shit at school.

Sins of the fathers being accounted for by the children and all that sort of thing. 

I don't think Hernandez's daughter's life would be markedly improved if he were still alive, but at least he would be around to absorb some of the static. 

Now the weight of his shame bears down on the living and some of the living don't have the maturity to know how to deal with it in a productive or positive manner.  It will be even worse for the kid given our Western notions towards suicide as a cowardly act.

I don't post much, but your posts are always on point and this one is no different.  Pretty much sums up my feelings on this matter without myself having the words to do so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:50 PM, Burgundy LaRue said:

There have been allusions to his sexuality for a while.  It wouldn't surprise me. Suppression of that magnitude can be a strong motivator in the worst way.

That is pretty depressing.  Poor guy could not embrace his omnisexuality.  From what I gather, Hernandez was genuinely attracted to his fiancé and women in general, so I don't think she was just a beard to hide being on the down low. 

Just admit to yourself that you're partial to both men and women, accept it, and most importantly, be honest about your feelings to your potential partners.

When I did investigation work for a law firm in NYC, I used to do legal research and stuff for an attorney who was happily heterosexual, but still found lurid stares from homosexual men to be flattering rather than embarrassing.  We should all be that brave.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Not surprising.  Not sure why the possibility never crossed my mind when all this was happening.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/sports/aaron-hernandez-cte-brain.html

Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end who committed suicide in April while serving a life sentence for murder, was found to have a severe form of C.T.E., the degenerative brain disease linked to repeated head trauma that has been found in more than 100 former N.F.L. players.

A lawyer for Hernandez, Jose Baez, in announcing the result at a news conference Thursday, said researchers determined it was “the most severe case they had ever seen in someone of Aaron’s age,” which was 27.

What is scary is the last NFL snap he played, he was only 23 years old. Only 3 years in the league. Makes you wonder how many guys that played football from Pop Warner all the way to college without pro experience that has CTE.

• Sad 1