DVDVR Message Board

Aaron Hernandez Found Dead

RIPPA

I guess he finally realized, regardless of last week's acquittal, that he was never going to be a free man again.

Awful end to an awful life story. This should definitely be a cautionary tale for all new professional athletes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So tired of people already calling this a tragedy.  The tragedy is the people he murdered in 2013.  

His suicide doesn't bring his victims back to life, nor does it really honor them since his death cheats the justice of the life sentence he was supposed to serve.

I think we can all have some kind of sympathy for Hernandez without dishonoring the memory of his victims.  Plenty of tragedy to go around.

Like Dolfan said, the acquittal probably brought home the truth to Hernandez that he ruined his own life and was never going to get out of prison..  The only reason he'd be out of jail would be to go to court to sit through another failed appeal hearing. 

Sad, really.

• Like 3

Hernandez does leave behind a daughter, who will have to go through life hearing about what her father did and how horrible he was. I wouldn't wish that on any child. She's one of his victims, too.

I wonder if any of this could have been prevented.  By most accounts, Hernandez exhibited problems shortly after his father's death and was a piece of work during his University of Florida days. Ultimately, Hernandez was responsible for his own deplorable actions.  But what if someone had actually tried to get through to him?  We'll never know.

What a waste of what could have been a great life.

• Like 6

I wouldn't ever tell someone else how they should feel about something as everyone has their own reasoning (for example, some think all death is sad regardless of who died) but I don't have an iota of sympathy for Hernandez. Everything we have heard is that this wasn't a one time mistake, or him "falling into the wrong crowd", minimally from college onward he was a criminal and/or horrible person. He ruined the lives of families, including his own child, for his own selfish reasons. Him being dead is fine with me.

That being said, I do have sympathy for his child. And the families impacted. Maybe his fiance (wife?), can't tell how much she knew about what he was up to. But not him anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I wouldn't ever tell someone else how they should feel about something as everyone has their own reasoning (for example, some think all death is sad regardless of who died) but I don't have an iota of sympathy for Hernandez. Everything we have heard is that this wasn't a one time mistake, or him "falling into the wrong crowd", minimally from college onward he was a criminal and/or horrible person. He ruined the lives of families, including his own child, for his own selfish reasons. Him being dead is fine with me.

That being said, I do have sympathy for his child. And the families impacted. Maybe his fiance (wife?), can't tell how much she knew about what he was up to. But not him anyway.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Hernandez's death brings closure to the families of the victims and not much else. 

His family (especially his daughter) will still have to live with the stigma of family name besmirched by a man who committed capital murder and then took his own life.

Not everyone's life will be better for his loss.  There is a young lady at my church that I am helping to counsel whose father committed suicide and now she's having to deal with the "Isn't your dad the crazy guy that blew his own head off?" shit at school.

Sins of the fathers being accounted for by the children and all that sort of thing. 

I don't think Hernandez's daughter's life would be markedly improved if he were still alive, but at least he would be around to absorb some of the static. 

Now the weight of his shame bears down on the living and some of the living don't have the maturity to know how to deal with it in a productive or positive manner.  It will be even worse for the kid given our Western notions towards suicide as a cowardly act.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Hernandez's death brings closure to the families of the victims and not much else. 

His family (especially his daughter) will still have to live with the stigma of family name besmirched by a man who committed capital murder and then took his own life.

Not everyone's life will be better for his loss.  There is a young lady at my church that I am helping to counsel whose father committed suicide and now she's having to deal with the "Isn't your dad the crazy guy that blew his own head off?" shit at school.

Sins of the fathers being accounted for by the children and all that sort of thing. 

I don't think Hernandez's daughter's life would be markedly improved if he were still alive, but at least he would be around to absorb some of the static. 

Now the weight of his shame bears down on the living and some of the living don't have the maturity to know how to deal with it in a productive or positive manner.  It will be even worse for the kid given our Western notions towards suicide as a cowardly act.

I think I need J.T. to counsel me, the man has his shit so clearly together.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I think I need J.T. to counsel me, the man has his shit so clearly together.

If only that were true.

I am good at helping people deal with bullshit, because I have to deal with it myself.  I think that my secret is that I actually give a fuck about other human beings, especially kids.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Both his lawyer and his agent think suicide is bullshit

http://deadspin.com/aaron-hernandezs-lawyer-and-former-agent-arent-sure-he-1794451101

If I had a buck for every time I said. "I knew (insert name), and they would never (insert action)," I'd be hella wealthy.

That being said, it is rather conspicuous that there is nothing resembling a suicide note per se being mentioned in the news reports.  Nothing written or verbal. 

Suicidal people tend to spirit dump before they decide to off themselves and with Aaron being a football player, you'd at least think that he would've done some sort of confessional with his agent or another confidant before hanging himself.

Then again, maybe he chose not to send up any flares and decided to get on with it before someone could talk him out of it.  Who knows?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MADCAP said:

Call me the conspiracy theorist, but it doesn't make sense that he would off himself after beating the second case and was still appealing his current sentence. 

He was in a cell by himself.  The report is his room was barricaded from the inside.  He's 6'2", 250# of solid NFL level athletic muscle.   

Pick any of those. It's suicide. 

• Like 1

Oh boy.

Aaron Hernandez was found dead in his prison cell on Wednesday morning after hanging himself using bedsheets and, under Massachusetts law, that means the murder conviction that sent him to prison in the first place has been voided.

Hernandez was still in the process of appealing his 2014 conviction of murdering Odin Lloyd, which means a legal principle dating back to English common law called “abatement ab initio” applies to his case. “Ab initio” translates to “from the beginning” and chief legal counsel to the Massachusetts Bar Association Michael Healy told the Boston Globe that the principle reverts a case to its start if the convicted party dies before the appeals process has concluded.

Healy said that civil proceedings in other cases involving the death of the convicted party were complicated because evidence established in the criminal trial cannot be used to make the civil case.

“Unfortunately, in the Odin Lloyd matter, for the family, there won’t be any real closure,” Healy said. “Aaron Hernandez will go to his death an innocent man.”

Not all states still have “abatement ab initio” on the books and some eliminated it after the death of those convicted in high profile cases. Healy said it would not be surprising if a Massachusetts legislator introduced legislation to eliminate it in the state in light of Hernandez’s suicide.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He was in a cell by himself.  The report is his room was barricaded from the inside.  He's 6'2", 250# of solid NFL level athletic muscle.   

Pick any of those. It's suicide. 

Maybe...maybe not. It's not impossible to make things look a certain way. 

Anyways, I'm not a Hernandez apologist, so I'll get of my Alex Jones soapbox. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

If only that were true.

I am good at helping people deal with bullshit, because I have to deal with it myself.  I think that my secret is that I actually give a fuck about other human beings, especially kids.

No wonder the jehovah witness chicks always find their way to Casa JT. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

If I had a buck for every time I said. "I knew (insert name), and they would never (insert action)," I'd be hella wealthy.

That being said, it is rather conspicuous that there is nothing resembling a suicide note per se being mentioned in the news reports.  Nothing written or verbal. 

Suicidal people tend to spirit dump before they decide to off themselves and with Aaron being a football player, you'd at least think that he would've done some sort of confessional with his agent or another confidant before hanging himself.

Then again, maybe he chose not to send up any flares and decided to get on with it before someone could talk him out of it.  Who knows?

As you mentioned earlier, it could have been a case of harsh reality setting in.  Realizing that he was trapped forever in a hell of his own creation and death was the only means to escape. It wouldn't be surprising if we learn Hernandez' mental state had greatly changed over the past week.  Yeah, he was acquitted of double homicide, but he wasn't getting out of prison. Ever.

Apparently, the fiancée brought their daughter to court to see Hernandez this last time. One has to assume that impacted him greatly.

We're left with more questions than answers. And those closest to him are left to deal with the fallout.

• Like 2