DVDVR Message Board

SDL is DON'T HINDER JINDER 4/18/2017

Niners Fan in CT

14 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

His heat is more along the lines of "Holy shit, they're actually going through with it with this jabronie." It's kinda like whenever WWE tried to push A-Train back in the mid-00's.

Albert was a good worker though.  If they'd have quit packaging him in stupid gimmicks and just let him beat people up, we'd have been much better off.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Albert was a good worker though.  If they'd have quit packaging him in stupid gimmicks and just let him beat people up, we'd have been much better off.

It's just really hard for people to change their mind on someone after they've been presented on a certain level for many years. Like, even HHH had the problem transitioning from snobby rich guy who was fighting in pigpen slop bucket matches to cerebral genius main eventer. People didn't buy into him completely until he beat Foley about 4732832 times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Overly Critical Man said:

It's just really hard for people to change their mind on someone after they've been presented on a certain level for many years. Like, even HHH had the problem transitioning from snobby rich guy who was fighting in pigpen slop bucket matches to cerebral genius main eventer. People didn't buy into him completely until he beat Foley about 4732832 times.

Jinder does use quite a bit of knee related offense so maybe, just maybe we're looking at the new HHH. Time to play The Khel!

11 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

This isn't remotely accurate. It's like you cut out the entire period that HHH was incredibly over in DX, both with HBK, and the group he lead with Chyna, X-Pac, and the NAO. Foley helped add legitimacy to HHH's main event run and helped to make him while Austin and the Rock were both doing other things. It's not like people weren't buying into HHH before then though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This isn't remotely accurate. It's like you cut out the entire period that HHH was incredibly over in DX, both with HBK, and the group he lead with Chyna, X-Pac, and the NAO. Foley helped add legitimacy to HHH's main event run and helped to make him while Austin and the Rock were both doing other things. It's not like people weren't buying into HHH before then though.

They weren't buying into him as a main eventer. As leader of DX, as IC champ? Yes? As heel world champion? No. Watch his run in 1999. Well...don't. 1999 was dreadful.

15 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

The Maharaja of Strong Style.

If we're keeping alliteration ala The Guru of Grappling then that should be either The Swami of Strong Style or The Maharaja of the Mat.

His run in '99 was fine. It was a steady progression of him going through the ranks to become champion. I mean, I was there in Minneapolis for Summerslam '99. HHH had a ton of heat on him and then the wind was taken out of their sails with the Foley victory.

You also have to look at the utter shit booking after HHH won the title. That involved dropping the belt to Vince, then winning it back weeks later, then dropping it weeks later after that, then continuing the feud with the McMahons, then winning the belt back months later.

People bitch about the dreaded Kane feud that comes after winning the title, but if you weren't Steve Austin or the Rock, you had the worst fucking booking with the title. I mean, look at Big Shows run with the title in between beating HHH for it and then dropping it back to him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

And even with the dreadful booking, HHH still had a steady rise to his position so even if you didn't agree with it, you can see the logic in it. Mahal's case is like the equivalent of ripping off a Band-Aid.

Oh, sure, that part is entirely fair. I think on the latest WOR they pointed out that Jinder is something like 2-50 since returning and he's suddenly getting a World title shot.

• Like 1

I'm happy that Jinder is getting a little push here, and that the Bollywood Boyz are being used for more than just squash matches on NXT. But can current WWE writers put together an Indian stable that doesn't come off as a joke?

I'm worried the Bollywoods will just come off as Hindu versions of the Edgeheads.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

He was bombing as lead heel in 1999. It was not until the Foley feud people were buying him as top heel. 

• Like 2

SDL is the "land of opportunity" and I feel Jinder winning the six pack challenge is not much different than if a midcarder won the Royal Rumble which has never happened...  but logically it could happen and maybe should have happened by now.  

This is very much like the JBL push to me or maybe even Sheamus winning the world title from John Cena. Something like that.  Both worked out well especially the JBL/Eddie feud.  

In the meantime, the U.S. title appears to be the main program. I can't shit on any of this yet. 

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh, sure, that part is entirely fair. I think on the latest WOR they pointed out that Jinder is something like 2-50 since returning and he's suddenly getting a World title shot.

This. This is what makes the bookers the heels. You want a Jinder push? Cool. Then do a Jinder push. There is nothing here except the "let's see what the bookers do next". It's not good story telling and it's not good pro wrestling. (it's not a good movie either, before somebody says it lol).

And I would like to remind everyone that no matter how over or how good of a wrestler he is the WWE could never be bothered to do this even once with Cesaro.

• Like 2

I really don't understand why "cobra clutch slam" became the default finisher for yoked-up dudes with limited mobility. They've done a good job building up strikes as finishers - just give him a running lariat or forearm.

1 hour ago, w. josh said:

I really don't understand why "cobra clutch slam" became the default finisher for yoked-up dudes with limited mobility. They've done a good job building up strikes as finishers - just give him a running lariat or forearm.

At least it's not a Roll of the Dice or an Overdrive.

• Like 1