DVDVR Message Board

SDL is DON'T HINDER JINDER 4/18/2017

Niners Fan in CT

I'm really hoping that Bray loses to Randy in the Treehouse of Horrors maatch, but he is so obsessed with getting revenge that he used the magic maggots on the ring apron powers and the crucix to possess Jinder's body to fight Randy.  Then Jinder can just do all of Bray's moves in the match and job to Randy just like Bray would.  Or we can get over this bullshit and just run a year long Nakamura/AJ series of matches for the title.   

4 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I like the fact that they're trying something new here, but why Jinder? As somebody pointed out in the thread, this was his 3rd victory since coming back to WWE in August. Before that he was with 3MB, who were always jobbers. I'm not saying he should be relegated to that position forever, but you can't go from that sort of record straight to the WWE Title and have people take it seriously. He needed more of a string of victories leading in to this for it to mean more. And I still don't know why he was put in the match. If they wanted to go with somebody new, put Tye Dillinger in the match and have him win. He just got called up. He's a fresh face. A lot of casual fans don't really know him yet, so giving him a victory here and a push to a WWE Title match right off the bat would've been a good intro for him.

That said, I'm still willing to give this a chance. They've obviously been more serious about Jinder since he came back, despite his win/loss record. He hasn't been in complete squashes. He's been in longer, competitive matches with Cesaro and Finn Balor in the last few weeks. I'm not sure what he can bring to the table as far as in-ring ability because I've never really given him much attention. Yeah, he potatoed Finn, but I don't think that's enough to label him as a guy who injures other guys....yet. I'm interested to see the Bollywood Boyz as his J&J Security and how they work for heaters. It's different. I like different.

Because Jinder went on the Overeem horse meat diet. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Just showed my son the end of the six pack challenge.

As soon as the ref counted 3 he immediately said "That guy is going to lose. 100%" and walked away.

I'm kind of excited at the idea of That Guy winning and we get to just refer to him as WWE Champion That Guy.

We're going to the Backlash PPV. Is this the fucking main event?

If That Guy teams with Roman Reigns, does Roman stay The Guy or does the become The Other Guy?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This sprung to mind for me as well, but I'm trying not to dwell on it. There aren't a whole lot of similar examples to point to.

Or maybe I'm misremembering. 

R-Truth some time after Wrestlemania XVII is the only other one I can remember between JBL and Jinder that seemed to occur with zero build-up whatsoever. 

Jack Swagger's second push, that may or may not have gotten derailed by him getting pulled over or something. He was a big deal then went back to nothing and then within a week or two of WE THE PEOPLE he was title threat.

I see a lot of people wanting to rush Nakamura to a title reign but I think that'd be a mistake. I like that Nakamura was held off TV this week. He's a special attraction now, like The Undertaker once was. Nakamura can still have big feuds with Styles and Cena but keep them for the big PPVs.

Also, I agree right now Styles v. KO is the main event feud. Nothing wrong with positioning the U.S. title above the world title every now and then. I like it.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Jinder Mahal has genuine heel heat.  Strike while the iron is hot.  Randall Orton is a pathetic champion and main eventer.  

That is a given, which makes it even more perplexing as to why he won the title from Bray to begin with. But blah blah wrestlemania moment's.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago, I was gonna make a post asking who your inexplicable favourites were that you'd like to see pushed. Mine was Jinder Mahal. Partly because he's a hometown guy, and partly because I'm married into a Punjabi family and it's nice for my household to have some brown representation. So I'm happy right now with the push he's getting.

That being said, I think he's just filler to occupy Orton until they are able to move some other pieces around the chessboard.

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

His heat is more along the lines of "Holy shit, they're actually going through with it with this jabronie." It's kinda like whenever WWE tried to push A-Train back in the mid-00's.

I feel bad that apparently wrestlers no longer seem to get heat for themselves. The only real heat is for the bookers. Now it seems like the wrestlers are less and less the primary antagonists and protagonists, and instead it's the fans vs. The bookers, in a war of who gets the right to make the wrestler tell the story they want.

Jinder robbed Sami Zayn of a title shot. Why not hate Jinder for that. If fans "played the game" a little more, maybe they could use this as a way to Zayn more over instead of themselves as genius armchair bookers.

• Like 6

I'm going to support this Jinder push because it's something new and different. Are there other wrestlers more deserving? Yes, but they would be too....predictable. Jinder seems like a fairly good heel and right now he's got some good heat coming into this. I'm on the fence weather or not he deserves the title but I do agree with everyone else that Orton doesn't need to be involved in this.

Is it also kind of weird that AJ is totally okay with being in the United States Championship picture but not the WWE Championship? If we switched AJ and Jinder I think more people would be happy, and it would be a little more realistic.

22 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I feel bad that apparently wrestlers no longer seem to get heat for themselves. The only real heat is for the bookers. Now it seems like the wrestlers are less and less the primary antagonists and protagonists, and instead it's the fans vs. The bookers, in a war of who gets the right to make the wrestler tell the story they want.

The bookers made themselves the heels. While ECW opened the curtain it was WWE and WCW that made the bookers and owner (in WWE's case) that were the real top heels. When you make your top heel the person who controls the outcome it takes a lot for another heel to get that level of heat.

Another problem is that the public face of some of the sports leagues in America and just as big of heels.

So you have a fan base who thinks of commissions as the top heels because that's what they see in other aspects of their lives.

• Like 4

I'm kind of excited to see how this plays out with Jinder. I mean they got me interested in a Dolph/Ambrose match at Summerslam last year so anything is possible. Jinder with the Bollywood Boys as his stooges could make for good wrestling TV. I also say this as someone who has fond memories of the short Great Khali title run.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Jinder robbed Sami Zayn of a title shot. Why not hate Jinder for that. If fans "played the game" a little more, maybe they could use this as a way to Zayn more over instead of themselves as genius armchair bookers.

I wish I could find the episode where Austin talked about this in his podcast. He talked about how you can only make the promotion itself the heel before you get diminishing returns. IIRC, he used Bill Watts in the UWF of how they should handle authority figures in wrestling. He was basically just there to keep order. He didn't go out of his way to screw over the heels and help the faces. He would go on tv and explain any rulings they had to make in a straightforward manner and it made sense and went both ways for heels and faces. Like stripping a guy of the title b/c of the 30 day clause or enforcing a loser leaves town stipulation.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Jinder is from Calgary, Alberta, Canada and was trained by Bad News Allen Coage. He was made for the main event. 

He must've been asleep during the martial arts portions of Mr. Coage's training camp.  He throws a decent enough punch, but I wish he'd go with another finisher. 

That Cobra Clutch Slam he does now isn't that much better than the Arm Trap Neckbreaker he previously used.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Is it also kind of weird that AJ is totally okay with being in the United States Championship picture but not the WWE Championship? If we switched AJ and Jinder I think more people would be happy, and it would be a little more realistic.

I still think the biggest problem with the initial Roman push was shooting him straight into the World title scene at Wrestlemania instead of being the one to first defeat Rusev and have a short US title reign first.  The Roman Empire versus Rusev on a tank? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm going to support this Jinder push because it's something new and different. Are there other wrestlers more deserving? Yes, but they would be too....predictable. Jinder seems like a fairly good heel and right now he's got some good heat coming into this. I'm on the fence weather or not he deserves the title but I do agree with everyone else that Orton doesn't need to be involved in this.

Wasn't the crux of AJ putting the GM's head through a car window and you know, trying to maim him, that he worked his ass off to get a WWE title match and then had it taken away from him? So now he's supposed to just be cool with going for the secondary title while some guy who has won 2 matches in a year gets a title shot. 

• Like 1