DVDVR Message Board

Cien Caras vs. Siglo XX (4/10/87)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

Now here's a match I'd never heard anything of, that didn't strike me one way or another on paper, and that turned out to be totally fucking awesome.  This starts off in quite the fashion with Caras laying a beating into Siglo during the introductions while the fans are still crowding the ring.  Caras wails on Siglo for awhile and Siglo's blue mask all but turns red.  Siglo's comeback is almost a Sangre Chicana moment as he just hauls off with a punch out of nowhere and then really takes it to him.  Last several minutes are just great, both guys are bloodied and fatigued and have an awesome dive-avoidal sequence which was pretty unique; a submission spot that almost botches but turned out to be all the better for the botch and the fans buy it so much they're jumping onto the apron already; two big dives and a crazy bump off a missed dive from Siglo.  Caras follows that up by waffling him with a section of seating for the countout win and a teeming mass of humanity floods the ring.  The crowd is also nuts throughout, pieces of garbage go flying left and right at intervals throughout this, they're all over the ringside area during the match and plenty loud.

I was a little disappointed by the ending because I assumed it would go a bit longer and with a couple extra minutes this could get pretty high but still this is a hell of a match.  Shit it's still PRETTY high for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I was completely unimpressed by this one. Cien Caras appears to be pinning himself at multiple points and the VQ is so bad you can't even enjoy the blood, which is one of the only reasons to enjoy the match. I don't blame the crowd for throwing trash at all. There is one cool point where Siglo XX applies the "rocking horse" submission (I don't know what else to call it) a second time but otherwise, not much to see here aside from some crappy brawling. 

I love Siglo XX's mask and I've been wanting to see him in action since I saw him Lourdes Grobet's book. For the most part this was a solid heavyweight lucha spectacle but MAN did they kick it into gear for that last fall and especially the last few minutes which were pretty awesome with all of the blood and dives.

• 9 months later...

The video quality hurt this match for me as well, especially since much of the drama seemed to revolve around blood loss.  The first-fall submission was pretty cool, and there was good chaos when it was reprised and everyone (including me) thought that was the finish.  I liked the crowd excitement and thrown stuff at the end.  The match had good mask-tearing and biting, but Siglo didn't blow me away too much as a performer.  Siglo did go splat well, and it was cool when Caras dropped the chairs or whatever on him to end the match.  Despite these good qualities, I think this match will land in my lower half of ranked matches.

• 3 months later...

This wasn't doing a lot for me until Siglo XX started his comeback in the 3rd fall and then things really picked up. The video quality does hurt this but the ending stretch with the dives leading to Siglo missing the last one and being counted out was really good stuff. This might make my top 25 but I'm not sure because I can't see it going past 20.