DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

As I mentioned last night - being off all next week will help me finish up what I want to before Season 5

I might ask for the Season Pass for Christmas as I don't think I will buy the DLC myself but it is something I will gladly accept as a gift

Oh, and thank you, RNG, for gifting me the Lord of Wolves this morning while I was knocking out the bounties I got from The Spider. 

[sarcasm] Only eight more Forsaken exotics to collect for the achievement. [/sarcasm]

It does not look like the Thunderlord counts towards the achievement. :(

The big Spider bounty for the week has particularly nasty mechanics.  The Eye In The Dark boss is a Shrieker that only opens when you detonate specially marked Cursed Thralls close to you and get the Scent Of The Worm buff.

If you destroy the Special Cursed Thralls from distance, you don't get the goop on you that you need for the Eye to open so that you can damage it.

If you destroy the Special Cursed Thralls too close to you, you get hurt and the Shrieker will agro and possibly kill you with its Axion Bolts.

There are also waves of adds to bother the piss out of you.

The encounter is annoying, but far more solo friendly than the fucking Blood Cleaver.

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Last night was pretty good overall.

• Reddit says that there are at least four or five scannables in the Cosmodrome during the Thunderlord mission, but I only found two (skeletons in a vehicle near a bus stop and the spot where Ghost first revived me).  As far as I can tell, there don't appear any triumph associated with the scannables, Thank God, because there appears to be a bug in the quest.  Some PC and XB1 players have reported that some areas are not scannable after you beat the final boss.  Since the quarantine on Old Russia is supposed to be lifted in Season 5, I imagine we'll get a second crack at this.
  • Did Strange Terrain for the 100K and then tried to farm the Osprey.  Made four speed runs.  Nada, but saw how beefy the Thunderlord was in PvE when you are running Arc Singe / Heavyweight.  Good Lord.... 
  • Went on a 7 game match with the DARPA clan in Gambit.  Prime Evils and Envoys just dissolved in no time. Thunderlord is life.

As much as I would love to hit the IB as a 600, getting the Osprey and being one step closer to a Triumph Seal is a little more important to me.  I'm going to hit up LFG for some Nightfall farmers after work today and party until I drop. 

If I manage to get the Osprey, I may switch gears and try to farm the Marshall Law hand cannon from Warden of Nothing or hit the Banner.  Since my Nightfall score is barely over six, I think I will try to buff that up to at least ten before Season 5 and get that Nameless Midnight that Zavala is selling before time runs out.

I don't think the scannables are bugged. They just require odd positions for scanning to become active. The other scans were a spot beween two broken brides, twp waste pipes where Fallen likely went into, and the first of three pikes with drapes over them.

How do 100K Nightfalls work? I haven;t tried one yet and really want the Marshall Law hand cannon.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Oh, and thank you, RNG, for gifting me the Lord of Wolves this morning while I was knocking out the bounties I got from The Spider. 

[sarcasm] Only eight more Forsaken exotics to collect for the achievement. [/sarcasm]

It does not look like the Thunderlord counts towards the achievement. :(

The big Spider bounty for the week has particularly nasty mechanics.  The Eye In The Dark boss is a Shrieker that only opens when you detonate specially marked Cursed Thralls close to you and get the Scent Of The Worm buff.

If you destroy the Special Cursed Thralls from distance, you don't get the goop on you that you need for the Eye to open so that you can damage it.

If you destroy the Special Cursed Thralls too close to you, you get hurt and the Shrieker will agro and possibly kill you with its Axion Bolts.

There are also waves of adds to bother the piss out of you.

The encounter is annoying, but far more solo friendly than the fucking Blood Cleaver.

Thunderlord is a Festival of Lost weapon. The quest is based from that event.

This bounty sound significantly worse and less solo friendly than Blood Cleaver which was more annoying than hard.

Blood Cleaver was a bitch for me and JT more because the fucking orb things wouldn't generate.

We ended up just taking turns punching him to death

It took way longer than it should have

I usually just dash in and out to shoot him or the machine. I don't think the orbs generate until after you take out the machine which is dumb and why the first time took me 20 or so minutes. I destroyed the machine and got nothing since I didn't realize you then had to take out the turrets for orbs. Seriously the mechanics for that one are just plain moronic.

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

How do 100K Nightfalls work? I haven;t tried one yet and really want the Marshall Law hand cannon.

My personal formula when I am configuring my Four Of Swords card is to take a 40 point power handicap and then take XXXX Singe, Match Game, Famine, and Extinguish as my other modifiers.    That lowers my effective LL to 560 which is still 20 LLs above what I will be shooting at.  

All of those difficulty modifiers usually puts our point multiplier around 3.8 or 4.0 which should be good enough to get you a 100K+ score unless you are on a fireteam of complete muppets.  As long as you finish the strike in 20 minutes or less, you should have a pretty good ending score.

When deciding on what singe / burn to use, I try to stay away from the element type that the boss and the majority of the enemies will use to kill me.  If you see people doing Strange Terrain with Solar Singe, stay away. 

They obviously want to exploit Whispers or Sleepers, but they still forget that Nokris will be flinging fireballs at them and it will take at least two health gates to bring him down thanks to the latest patch.  Plenty of time for Nokris to get lucky and wipe the entire team, which fucks them if they are also running Extinguish to boos their score modifier.

The only issue with Match Game is knowing in advance what kind of enemy barriers you'll need to break and that means being somewhat familiar with the strike ahead of time.  We try to have at least two designated shield breakers with the appropriate Energy Weapon type.

Since you want to do Warden of Nothing, you'll need to worry about Void barriers for the most part. since the primary shielded enemies in that strike will be the Vex Minos and the Cabal Incinerators.  The WANTED colossus will have an Arc barrier, but you can always skip him and kill everything else. 

Extinguish shouldn't be an issue so long as you all don't die at the same time and I have rarely had issues finding Heavy when Famine is on but even so, use your Power Weapon wisely.

One thing to remember is to NOT hold on to your Super.  You can pad your score by picking up orbs, so you and your team should be generating orbs as often as you can.

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

This bounty sound significantly worse and less solo friendly than Blood Cleaver which was more annoying than hard.

I was able to solo Eye In The Dark.  As Rippa has already said, the fucking Blood Cleaver was a handful for both of us.

IB pissed me off to no end yesterday

First match took almost 10 minutes to get together. So when we finally load in - my team is down two fucking players. We played 4 vs 6 the entire time. The only upside was I channeled my murderous rage and got the Fight Me! Triumph

Second match - I get dropped in the middle of and of course the other team is a full squad of 6 from the same clan. That lasted about 20 seconds before the mercy rule hit

Third match - okay that one we mercied the fuck out of another team.

Fourth match was pretty much like the first one.

Fifth one was another where I got dropped in the middle so I got a couple of kills and then it ended.

Then I got the fuck out of dodge

Speaking of 100K Nightfalls:

• I made 100K+ runs on all of the Nightfalls up for this week and I finally got a fucking Osprey to drop.  Three more Heroic adventures on Titan and I will be a Wayfarer.  My Triumph Seal awaits.
  • Did not get the Marshall Law hand cannon even though my score for the Warden of Nothing Nightfall Strike was 180K+.  I may hit up a LFG farming team before the bulk of DARPA clan logs on this afternoon.
  • DARPA Clan may run Inverted Spire this afternoon if Callie is on since she is a girl that likes pretty things and she covets the Trichromatica shell / Nightfall reward for her Ghost.  I will be up for helping her out so that I can try to get that The Floor Is Lava triumph, but that means that everyone needs to pay attention and jump when the Vex boss nukes the ring in the Second stage.  Knowing Callie, she will die at least once during that shit.
16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

IB pissed me off to no end yesterday

First match took almost 10 minutes to get together. So when we finally load in - my team is down two fucking players. We played 4 vs 6 the entire time. The only upside was I channeled my murderous rage and got the Fight Me! Triumph

Second match - I get dropped in the middle of and of course the other team is a full squad of 6 from the same clan. That lasted about 20 seconds before the mercy rule hit

Third match - okay that one we mercied the fuck out of another team.

Fourth match was pretty much like the first one.

Fifth one was another where I got dropped in the middle so I got a couple of kills and then it ended.

Then I got the fuck out of dodge

I have been so focused on getting an Osprey that I have barely fired a shot in anger in the Crucible this week other than getting mercied on Tuesday. 

I think that Dylan and I will go full bore in the IB this evening and then mop up whatever outstanding bounties we have left to do on Monday night, so I have pretty much abandoned all hope of getting anything done in the Dreaming City this week. 

I'd rather try to farm Warden of Nothing for the hand cannon, or hit up LFG to finally knock out that special Corrupted strike, start working on the rest of the Malfeasance quest, and play more Gambit, since I only have another two weeks or so to roll my Infamy over a third time.

I am home today (thanks to the weather cancelling the event I was supposed to attend this morning) so I will be hoping back and forth between RDR2 and Destiny so shoot me a message depending on what you guys are doing

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am home today (thanks to the weather cancelling the event I was supposed to attend this morning) so I will be hoping back and forth between RDR2 and Destiny so shoot me a message depending on what you guys are doing

I am getting materials ready for this class I have to teach some green suiters on Monday morning.  I plan on getting the fuck out of Dodge around 1400 or 1500 (2PM or 3PM to you civilians), so I will hit you up when I get to the crib.

I have a ton of shit to do around the house this weekend, so game time will be scarce until Monday night.  I love my woman very much, but if she bitches about these picture frames not being hung up one more time, I'm going to fucking lose it so it will be Operation:  Happy Wife / Happy Life until Sunday evening when I can settle down and watch some football.

• Four WoN runs yesterday.  Still no hand cannon, but secured the Solar Avoidance triumph. It's easy to do that when you are not going for a high score and can just melt the boss before it fires a shot.
  • Ran Inverted Spire as a Mentor in a Guided Nightfall Strike.  Felt good to get some newbies / lowbies to the 100K mountain top.  One girl (college age and Canadian) shrieked so shrilly over the mic when she put on her emblem and saw her purple crown that my ears nearly bled.  I can only imagine her glee if she had gotten the Trichromatica ghost shell.  It should not surprise you that she immediately put me on her Friend's List.  Sadly we did not get The Floor Is Lava triumph, but Callie wants that shell in the worst way so I imagine we'll make a few Arc / Heavy farming runs on Monday and we should be able to melt the Mind before we get to Stage 2 and secure yet another Nightfall triumph.
  • My Prodigal armor and my Cayde memorial cloak are all masterworked now.  About fucking time.
  • Got up to a five match win streak in Gambit only to have it pissed away when my team went retarded in Rounds 2 and 3. We won the first match after I pulled off yet another clutch invasion and kept the enemy team's PE healed up enough for us to steal a round.  After I got the Fusionist triumph and noticed that we were getting cocky and sloppy, I was like "Fuck this" and resorted to sweeping enemies without collecting motes.  No one helped me keep the bank clear in Round 3, so I had no sympathy for the dude on my team who kept coming THIS CLOSE to collecting 15 motes only to get Sleepered by the other team's invader.  I traded messages with the other team's invader during the match.:
  • "You're the only one trying to kill blockers, man."
  • "Yeah, I know."
  • "I'm only sleeping the dudes on your team that have motes."
  • "It's what I would do.  Waste of purple otherwise."
  • "I'm sorry your team is shit, bro."
  • "Thanks, man."
  • RNG hates me.  Banshee is refusing to sell the Targeting Adjuster weapon mod I want for this NF unlockable Nameless Midnight scout rifle I bought from Zavala with Vanguard tokens two days ago, but that's okay because I also haven't gotten any Prime Engrams to turn into Kinetic Weapons that I can use to infuse my Midnight since I bought this damn scoutie..  The fucking thing is still 500.
  • Looted the last five Regional Chests I had left the Tangled Shore and I didn't cheat to find them.  I now have enough Ghost Fragments for next week's Spider bounties.  That one in the Jetsam of Saturn was particularly tricky.
  • Started getting lore entries for Eva Levante, the old Flair merchant from D1.  Her lorebook only has five entries and it doesn't count towards the Chronicler triumph seal.
  • Finished up Cayde-6's lorebook.  Read it. Cried.  Went to bed.

I'm about to roll over into Mythic status again for my Infamy, so a lot of Gambit is going to get played when I am not Nightfall farming.  I've pretty much given up on participating in the Banner this week.  If there is going to be a Bonus Infamy period before Season 5 starts, I want to be as close to Legend status as possible.

We had time to trade messages.  

His team was stomping mine so he had the opportunity to msg me and I mentally checked out of the game when I saw that all three of my idiot team members were going for Large Blockers at the same time and no one was even trying to use blockers strategically. 

I knew I wasn't going to get vaporized during invasions, so I knew I had plenty of time to type.

We were so far behind in Round 3 that it was obscene.  I thought about using the Invasion Portal to try to slow down the other team, but we had an idiot on our team that insisted on jumping through and getting fusion rifled to death in seconds every time he went through.

Two of those guys had Sleepers and the other two had the One Thousand Voices fusion rifle from the raid. I had Thunderlord with me, so I was able to evaporate those guys before their rifles charged up provided I got the first shots in.

You know its sad when the other team feels sorry for you having such a shit team. The only time an opposing team member gave me a message was to brag about owning me, ignoring that I probably took out him and a few of his teammates a couple of times despite my shitty team losing it all.

I really hate when I'm the only guy invading. I'm not nearly good enough  for that role even if I can manage to occasionally bs my team into winning a round. One thing I have noticed is that I do seem to do better in the day time team wise.

I got my triumph and emblem for finding my 9th cat.

Gonna play a little IB today just because I need like 2 more kills while my team is on the power play.

As per usual - won't be finishing the orb one

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, Eivion said:

I really hate when I'm the only guy invading. I'm not nearly good enough for that role even if I can manage to occasionally bs my team into winning a round. 

If you BSed your team into winning a round, you are a good invader.

Part of being a good invasion is making people think you have something you don't. 

If you manage to sleeper one or two 15 mote guys in your first invasion, you can condition players to hide from you whenever you invade... regardless of whether or not you actually have ammo for your Sleeper.  

I have gone in once or twice with Two-Tailed Fox ammo and took out two 15 mote holders without using my super.  Then I would invade again when the next portal was active and as expected, the players gathered in one spot and took cover because they though I had rocket launcher and also assumed that someone on their team would be able to Super me before I had a chance to fire a rocket.

Little did they know that I also had my super active and I wanted them to bunch up in one spot so that I would have a chance to nail all of them with one Blade Barrage.

Point being that you want the other players to fear the sight of your gamertag, even when you aren't a threat.  Even if you don't get a single kill, your invasion will be a success if you cause the other team to waste a lot of time reacting to your invasion. 

The role of the invader is to buy his team enough time to get a win.  If you are consistently doing that, then you are doing just fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I got my triumph and emblem for finding my 9th cat

I need another minty kitty bowl for that to happen.  I think I am done with Corsair Badges since I got the mission bounty for Vengeance and completed it.

I'm going to farm Warden of Nothing again tonight and maybe hit the Dreaming City for another gift bowl if I am successful in getting the hand cannon.

Don't really give a shit about the IB this time around.

The changes for Gambit that will begin with the next season

• The Infamy Rank Points you get from Bounties will be doubled
  • They are changing a lot of the things to be "easier to complete"
  • They will be adding a bounty tied specifically to Primeval envoy kills
  • Sub-division rankups will now award Legendary items
  • They are tweaking it so the catchup up mechanic isn't a great

Double Infamy: 11/20-11/23

Triple Infamy: 11/23-11/27

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Don't really give a shit about the IB this time around.

I did just the exact amount of matches to complete that bounty.

As I said - only reason I will do a couple more is to complete one bounty.

Plus - I have been getting some IB related Triumphs

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Plus - I have been getting some IB related Triumphs

I completed the "get XYZ done in the IB in one season" triumphs done in previous tournaments this time around, so think I am good for now.

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The changes for Gambit that will begin with the next season

• The Infamy Rank Points you get from Bounties will be doubled
  • They are changing a lot of the things to be "easier to complete"
  • They will be adding a bounty tied specifically to Primeval envoy kills
  • Sub-division rankups will now award Legendary items
  • They are tweaking it so the catchup up mechanic isn't a great

I am down with the rank point increase since getting Infamy is so grindy. 

I don't think that some of the bounties should be easier to complete, but I do think that some of the bounties that are counterintuitive to getting wins should be tweaked. You can always tell when some asshole has the fucking Blocks bounty because he never fucking banks and usually quits a match if he gets killed with max motes in his pocket.  I would tweak that bounty by increasing the number of Smalls and Mediums needed and decreasing the number of Larges.  You shouldn't have to choose between completing a bounty and helping your team get a W.

I like the Envoy Kills bounty because it will remind players to fucking kill the Envoys first.  If I had a dime for the number of matches I've lost because we couldn't get our Primeval Slayer ticker up because no one but me was trying to kill the Envoy, I'd be fucking rich.

Sub-Division rankups only giving Blue items was bullshit.  All Gambit rankups should be giving Legendary Gambit items.

The catch-up mechanic should not be tweaked.  If a team is down to stay, then they should be down to stay.  I have been on teams of randos who have beaten extremely stacked four mans handily by jumping on them early with mote killer invasions and Small Blocker floods.  Making it easier to recover from a severe deficit will only make it more difficult for blueberry squads to win against coordinated fireteams armed to the teeth.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's not making it easier

Basically teams will one get one catch-up bonus and that is it. Right now they can get multiple

Things work fine they way they are now.  I wouldn't change anything.  I was under the assumption that we only got one bonus.

Being in the hole is demoralizing enough with multiple catch-up bonuses.  Only having one seems like a bad idea.

This is the exact way it is phrased

Primeval Catch-Up Mechanics
Teams that summon their Primeval second can only ever receive one “catch-up” stack of Primeval Slayer. Previously, the trailing team would receive multiple stacks depending on how far behind they were. For instance, if the leading team had seven stacks of Primeval Slayer, when trailing team summoned they would receive four stacks. Now they will receive only one.

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is the exact way it is phrased

I was in the process of editing my post while I was reading up on catch-up mechanics.  Now that I know how they work, here are my thoughts.

I don't think that the deficit team should be receiving any stacks towards the Slayer buff if they are behind,  They should have to kill their Envoys to raise their buff past Slayer 1 and also make wise use of their Invasion Portals if they want to win.

However, I DO believe that if a deficit team is extremely low in the mote count, there should be more instances of HVTs and Specialty Targets to help them generate motes at a faster pace depending on how far behind they are.

Going with a faster mote solution would mean tweaking the invasion rate since increased motes means more frequent invasions and a good invader is often the difference between a win and a loss.

It's hard to come up with a fix that is fair to teams that are in the lead and still help keep Gambit competitive for both teams.

All this reminds me that I had by far the best Gambit moment of my life so far this weekend

We were WAY behind when the other team summoned their Primeval so I basically went into stall mode

I killed 12 guys during all my invading and we ended up winning that round.

The best part was since it was only round 1 - a dude on the other team was so pissed he raged quit out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1