DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

Rat King (all that work for THAT???) 

Isn't the point of the Rat King that it's a fairly weak gun, but the more people who are using it in you fireteam the stronger it becomes?  To the point where 6 people using the Rat King as basically unstoppable?

Destiny will be down for maintenance and a patch next Tuesday (3rd) again between 8am and 12pm PDT. Once again the UK and Europe get screwed with maintenance during peak times on a reset day.

I appreciate Bungie are an american based company so these scheduled down times are going to be during US working hours, which with an 8 hour timezone difference is the evening for this half of the world. But why do it on reset day? The day that sees the most people playing and you take the game off line? It makes no sense. Friday to Tuesday consists of Xur, Trials and the weekly reset. Why not do maintenance on a Wednesday or Thursday?

Grinded a few more Dead Orbit levels today. I thought i was just getting screwed over with repeat weapons until i checked online and each faction only has 4 weapons that you can get from rank up packages. I still only have the Warlock helm so i might try and knock some more out over the weekend to get the rest of the gear but with a cap at 30 levels, and I've probably burnt through 10 already, and only having one piece of armour drop, RNG is not looking favourably on me.

Last weeks was on the Monday but the first reset of Destiny 2 on the 12th had maintenance. To remove the Hunter armour piece that offended 6 people if i remember right. So we are 50/50 for Monday and Tuesday maintenance so far and the game will have only been out a month.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Is there a reliable way to get an exotic engram?

I need one to complete this step of this fucking quest and I am having no luck getting a drop via public events

Not as far as i know. I had the exact same problem. When it came to that step i just couldn't get one to drop. I eventually got one from a random Crucible game. That and just grinding heroic public events are probably the two most common ways of getting one to drop.

The game loves me and gave me an exotic fairly quickly as it gave me one at the completion of a random adventure

Of course - because I can't have nice things - as I embarrassingly fucked up the next stage of the quest because I am too dumb to live.

It's all good now but I lost basically a hour of gameplay and about 25 legendary shards because I don't know how to read

But hey - at least I realized I can swap out the type of element effect on a gun instead of keeping three versions of it. That will free up some space in the vault

6 hours ago, Basara said:

Not as far as i know. I had the exact same problem. When it came to that step i just couldn't get one to drop. I eventually got one from a random Crucible game. That and just grinding heroic public events are probably the two most common ways of getting one to drop.

Depending on how well you do in public events, the game will give you exotic engrams. I've gotten at least EIGHT exotic engrams from public events with about five from Crucible.

The flip side to that is The Life Exotic didn't unlock for me until my 18th exotic and it was one that decrypted from Master Rahool. FInally, he's useful!

And he gave me an exotic helmet from a legendary engram this morning, just because.

7 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Depending on how well you do in public events, the game will give you exotic engrams. I've gotten at least EIGHT exotic engrams from public events with about five from Crucible.

The flip side to that is The Life Exotic didn't unlock for me until my 18th exotic and it was one that decrypted from Master Rahool. FInally, he's useful!

And he gave me an exotic helmet from a legendary engram this morning, just because.

Weirdly, public events hate me.  In 90 or so Heroic completions i think I've had 3? My friend seems to get at least one a night every time we play. I've had more from the crucible (which i hardly play) and cashing in at the Gunsmith. Such is the harsh RNG of Destiny.

A bit of a bummer to me that the end game world quests seem to be geared to multiple players. I feel like every quest I've picked up this weekend requires other people to complete (or, in some cases, even start).

I get that the game is largely a MP experience for most, but that's not the case for all. I don't mind mind that I'll likely never do the raid or the Nightfalls, but those are also spun off into their own sections. Being gated from these other quests just sorta sucks...

Light is up to 273-275, depending on gear. Have a few more adventures and the quests on Earth and Io to do, but then I'm likely to move on until there's more content. Though I guess I'll pick it up briefly after the weekly resets and to see what Xur has. I'm up to 500+ shards, so I don't have to worry about affording his stuff each week. 

1 hour ago, Shane said:

A bit of a bummer to me that the end game world quests seem to be geared to multiple players. I feel like every quest I've picked up this weekend requires other people to complete (or, in some cases, even start).

I get that the game is largely a MP experience for most, but that's not the case for all. I don't mind mind that I'll likely never do the raid or the Nightfalls, but those are also spun off into their own sections. Being gated from these other quests just sorta sucks...

Light is up to 273-275, depending on gear. Have a few more adventures and the quests on Earth and Io to do, but then I'm likely to move on until there's more content. Though I guess I'll pick it up briefly after the weekly resets and to see what Xur has. I'm up to 500+ shards, so I don't have to worry about affording his stuff each week. 

I think the only exotic quests that requires a team is the Ratking so you should be good for 2 of the 3 'free' exotics. Though some steps require a bunch of work and RNG so they can be time consuming. You can still progress as a solo player though, and it's much easier in Destiny 2 than it was in the original. The Flashpoint and Call to Arms weekly milestones can both be done solo and don't take too long to complete each week. They both give you a luminous engram that is always higher than your current max light. As for the Nightfall, since Bungie added guided games in Destiny 2 it's possible to go in with another team and still play one. According to the weekly update over 100,000 Nightfalls were attempted when it was introduced with a 90% success rate so give it a try if you want a nice boost in power.

So, dusted off and power levelled my Hunter today. We've got speed running the story down. The first run through took 15 hours. We took our time, watched everything and did a whole bunch of adventures and events along the way., The second took about 8 hours. The Hunters trip? 5 hours. My Hunter has gone from level 1 to power 272 in 300 minutes. We literally just sparrowed past everything and did the absolute minimum to beat it. Had to stop before each planet as we didn't meet the level requirements. Pretty much every encounter was 30-50 power above our own. It was kind of fun playing it on 'hard mode'. Still have the milestones to do on the Hunter so if i get chance tomorrow night i can hopefully put another 10 levels on it.

Also, time for a new PS4 controller. It's been playing up for a while, the headset will cut out every so often, but now the right stick has developed a mind of it's own. Made trying to aim in the crucible interesting.

4 hours ago, Basara said:

I think the only exotic quests that requires a team is the Ratking so you should be good for 2 of the 3 'free' exotics. Though some steps require a bunch of work and RNG so they can be time consuming. You can still progress as a solo player though, and it's much easier in Destiny 2 than it was in the original. The Flashpoint and Call to Arms weekly milestones can both be done solo and don't take too long to complete each week. They both give you a luminous engram that is always higher than your current max light. As for the Nightfall, since Bungie added guided games in Destiny 2 it's possible to go in with another team and still play one. According to the weekly update over 100,000 Nightfalls were attempted when it was introduced with a 90% success rate so give it a try if you want a nice boost in power.

First site I read indicated that I'd need at least one other person to even start the last bit of the quest to get the Drang, as well. Looking further, it looks like it may be able to be done solo. I'll give it a shot, at any rate.

1 minute ago, Shane said:

First site I read indicated that I'd need at least one other person to even start the last bit of the quest to get the Drang, as well. Looking further, it looks like it may be able to be done solo. I'll give it a shot, at any rate.

You can 100% do it solo.  I did.  You don't even have to finish the whole strike.

Yup - I just did it by myself this weekend

As EVA mentioned - you don't have to do the whole thing. You just have to kill the servitor about halfway through and that is easy.

I tried to finish the whole strike by myself but I couldn't defeat the final boss dude... though I came damn close

I will agree though that the wording is weird as it first says "GATHER YOUR FIRETEAM!!!" but when you got to the actual flag it doesn't say anything. In fact - I started it thinking it would be like a regular strike and matchmake two random folks with me. I was actually a little surprised it didn't.

Yeah Bungie seem real inconsistent with quest based strikes. The Phogoth Thorn strike in Destiny had no matchmaking but the Shield Brothers strike in The Taken King did. Yet Destiny 2 has none for quests. The only one you will struggle with is the Ratking since it requires you to complete a Nightfall with at least 5 mins remaining. That means that not only do you need to find a team, it needs to be a good team since the bullshit Nightfall timers give you very little room for error.

I forgot to mention in my last post, when levelling my Hunter i tried out the crucible. Pole dancer or whatever the new hunter class is called might be the worst super in the game? When i used it people could literally walk away, backwards, faster than i could get to them. The only way to catch up was to use the super to make up the distance and by the time you catch them 90% of it's gone.

I finally was able to play through the remainder of the story last night. The final battle with Ghaul got a bit dicey there. I wiffed on the last Super I had, and basically took him down as I was without life myself.

I spent probably a good 30 minutes or so exploring the Tower and even went and investigated the secret room above Future War Cult. I didn't pledge to a faction because isn't that becoming an event-based thing like Trials, Iron Banner, etc? If not, I may find one to pledge to today.

I also feel a little insulted getting weapons at say 200+ power and them saying "level 17 required." Um, up until I got to this point, the power, it seemed that the gear stayed pretty much within ten points.

I also unlocked the Black Plaque ornament from Tess after beating the story, so I guess I probably should go ahead and knock out the Rat King quest. The one downside to me and Destiny is I pretty much play solo. As mentioned before, everyone that I would play with down south has a Xbox, and my schedule keeps it so that it's hard to play with randoms from LFG or whatever because I'm still trying to play catch-up.

The Faction Event ends shortly (or has already) as they will be announcing the first winning sometime today

Probably after the patch is released

So you could pledge and hope you get lucky that you pick the winning one but yeah - it seems like it will be a reoccurring event

I beat the raid at about the fourth attempt of wiping last night, really easy compared to D1 raids, or we got lucky with team work maybe.

Spoiler

Anyway, the strike after the raid? Man, nah. That was 10x harder than the raid. ...Didn't finish it.

Spoiler above for after raid.

Servers are back online and patch is available

Patch Notes

1.0.3.1 The one with more post-launch housekeeping.

Items
Fixed an issue in which players could lose access to the Veteran’s Transmat Effect by deleting characters
Fixed an issue in which clan engrams would grant Trials of the Nine and raid rewards at only 10 Power
Fixed an issue in which the action button on Faction Rallies emblems displayed Discard instead of Store

Quests
Fixed an issue in which progress for the Exotic Quest Step "His Highness's Seal" was not incrementing properly

Raid
Fixed an issue in which raid milestones would not show for some players after the weekly reset (This didn’t affect any raid rewards)
Fixed an issue in which players could enter a state where they are continuously killed if they finish a raid encounter at the exact moment of failure

Crucible
Added invisible physics and kill volumes to keep players inside the intended playable area on the following maps: 
Eternity
Altar of Flame
Emperor's Respite
Legion's Gulch
Javelin-4
The Dead Cliffs
Added invisible physics to all stairs in The Dead Cliffs to allow grenades to bounce properly
Adjusted spawning system values to reduce the frequency of players respawning into dangerous situations on all maps