DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

Yep, I keep a lot of the year 2 shit purely because of the random rolls being shit I like even if I have other weapons & armor I lie more aesthetically. There is always a chance I will go back to them. I also update said weapons/armor when I find higher power levels for them and don't need to infuse them in other gear. Shit I have some exotics I keep purely because they have better perks from dropping in the wild than the ones I can get for them in collections.

The third IB quest step in IB is annoying. Grenade Kills are so damn annoying to get. FFS even during Revelry that shit wasn't super easy. Any suggestions on what grenades are best for the hunter? I've been using swarm for a whopping 13%. Meanwhile my Super kills are at 42% and melee kills at 72%.

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

The third IB quest step in IB is annoying. Grenade Kills are so damn annoying to get. FFS even during Revelry that shit wasn't super easy. Any suggestions on what grenades are best for the hunter? I've been using swarm for a whopping 13%. Meanwhile my Super kills are at 42% and melee kills at 72%.

I tend to be a douchebag and run middle tree Nightstalker with the Gwisin Vest, so I am all about the Vortex Grenades when I am in PvP and I am deliberately trying to get grenade kills.   I tend to throw grenades defensively so I don't really chuck boomers that often, but I have found VGs to be the most reliable if the goal is to put down guys on the enemy team.

Voidwall Grenades are for zone control, not really for killing.   You can get murders with them but like I said before, they're mostly for defensive use like the really awful Spike Grenades are. 

When I am not going for grenade kills, I usually depend on Voidwalls to cover my retreat or to make someone change direction so that I can pre-fire on his ass.

Remember that the IB bounties give you credit for what your team does so if your progress is slow, your blueberries aren't throwing enough grenades.  Sadly, you won't see a lot of progress if you are on a majority Hunter team.   Warlocks have the best offensive grenades, IMO, and Titans are a close second.  As you already know,  our grenades suck.

Oh, and if you really want to be an asshole, use something like Graviton Lance or the Oxygen as your main weapon and use a sniper rifle, hand cannon, or maybe even the Arbalest in your Kinetic Slot. 

The IB weapon kill bounty gives you bonus progress for using an Energy Weapon or a Heavy Weapon and GUESS WHAT~?  GRAVITON LANCE IS AN ENERGY WEAPON~!!!

Unfortunately, you're going to see a lot of Recluse and Not Forgotten use since they are also EWs, but that will fall off as more players get to the Armor Bounty that seems to have been designed to mitigate PvP meta aka no Hand Cannons or Pulse Rifles or the other meta weapon combos.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

JT and I laughed for a solid 15 minutes straight last night after I killed poor Barbara Ellis with a grenade from beyond the grave and she sent me a message calling me a bitch. excuse me a B.I.T.C.H. She had a whopping three kills the entire match so maybe she should have spent more time killing and less time messaging me.

In a reference only @JLSigman will get - her user name was Morrigan99 so clearly she mistook me for Flemeth

• Haha 3

The best part was that she had her profile set up so that you could see her shoot name.   Poor Barbara Ellis and her shitty gameplay..

Man, we were either on really good teams or teams that were total donkey balls.   There was no in between.  We were either ahead the whole match or we always trailed.  I never felt like we were in a hotly contested match where both teams were playing well.

The guys I expect to wreck shop continue to play like complete ass and drag the team down with them.

I'm looking at you GoldenCondor420.   You are a 750.  You need to get your shit together.

I am at 32 of 50 sniper precision kills towards the Revoker bounty.  I still have a shit ton of plain old sniper kills to go, but I am happy that my precision kill ratio is close to 50%.

I couldn't buy a sniper shot during our first match on Meltdown and then I couldn't get kills UNLESS I was using a sniper the second time we were on that map aka the last match of the night and the ONLY match where I did not finish positive.

I am still looking for that Mission Control medal for getting two long distance sniper rifle brain ventilations without reloading.  I'm hoping it happens soon.

Edited by J.T.

Heroic Menagerie is next week (and really the only thing for next week)

Increased Power Difficulty: Starts at 750, increases to 770
Matchmaking is disabled; you must form a fireteam to enter
Weekly curated gameplay modifiers, rotating per boss
Unlike normal mode, Guardians can hit a failure state
Extinguish is active; if your team wipes, Calus will send you to orbit
Encounters never repeat; if you fail to reach 100% progress toward the boss after completing each encounter once, you will be returned to orbit
Heroic-mode-specific Triumphs, rewards, and challenges await you

So this sounds like perfect week to do the new Borderlands DLC

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

When I put him on my list - I could hear my wife snickering at his hideous username from across the room

My sister said that he should change his name from Golden Condor to Brown Shitbird.

I laughed and laughed and laughed.

She also stole your joke about BestInTheeWorld needing to change his tag to PlaysLikeShit.

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Heroic Menagerie is next week (and really the only thing for next week)

That sounds awful, but I want my Goldtusk so I will be hitting up LFG to find a crew to get me to my fucking ninja sword.   They can count on me to run Heroic Menagerie for as long as it takes to get Goldtusk and then that game mode can go fuck itself.

The Goldtusk I get will at least need to have Assassin's Blade on it for me to be happy with the roll.  Whirlwind Blade with Assassin's Blade would be the ideal perk combo for my style of play whenever I bother to use a sword in PvP.

I have a Stryker's Surehand aka the Black Armory Buster Sword with AB/WB on it and it is downright nasty.

The only time I really use a sword in PvE is to change the camera view and better navigate platforming puzzles.

RNG hates me because I can never seem to get a good roll for the Austringer.  I'm going to shoot for a good Drang roll maybe a couple of time before I hit the Reckoning.  

I should be good and sick and tired of Menagerie and the Haul by the time you log on for IB tonight.

Edited by J.T.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That sounds awful, but I want my Goldtusk so I will be hitting up LFG to find a crew to get me to my fucking ninja sword.

I would wait until people confirm that is how you get it

Of course - since there are also Triumphs you might end up doing it anyway

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I would wait until people confirm that is how you get it

Of course - since there are also Triumphs you might end up doing it anyway

God, if they put the Goldtusk recipe in normal Menagerie that would be great, but I am not that lucky. 

Bungie will make me suffer on the path to my new sword.

I will probably end up running HM as much as I can anyway since that's how you're supposed to masterwork the Chalice in order to get the best returns on your runes.

Edited by J.T.

I burned 6K Imperials to unlock Blue Runes yesterday and I have compiled another 2K Imperials since then, so I should be GTG to unlock the Menagerie Armor Mod perk by reset after next.

I'll be on my way to Jamaica next Tuesday and the only things I plan on doing in paradise with certainty when I am down there for next five days are eating Curry Chicken and napping on the beach.

I thought about taking the Xbox with me, but I don't want to cause an international incident by setting the hotel on fire after someone on the staff tries to steal it.  

Also, I'd rather poke needles into my tear ducts than try to get a game console back and forth through US Customs.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Well fuck.  The Izanagi's Burden catalyst will only drop from Heroic Menagerie, so there's another reason for me to grind that bullshit.

Also, the flavor text for HM states that there are "Heroic-mode-specific Triumphs, rewards, and challenges" that await us and I would imagine that the class specific swords would fall into the rewards category.

Edited by J.T.

So, it looks like anyone who plays IB this weekend will get a special triumph and an emblem tied to the LoW. 

Not sure if you actually need to use the LoW to get the triumph.  I think you just need to compete in a match or two after this afternoon's reset.   Good thing I will have some rare weekend playtime since I have to work dayshift on Saturday and Sunday.

Luke Smith mentioned all of this in an interview for the Bungie's Block charity stream where he sheepishly talked about the pending LoW nerf that probably won't come until late July.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Remember that the IB bounties give you credit for what your team does so if your progress is slow, your blueberries aren't throwing enough grenades.  Sadly, you won't see a lot of progress if you are on a majority Hunter team.   Warlocks have the best offensive grenades, IMO, and Titans are a close second.  As you already know,  our grenades suck.

Don't forget our melees. They suck so much too. Seriously they really fucking hate Hunters at Bungie. They fucked us over on grenades and melee for PvP and jumping in general.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Oh, and if you really want to be an asshole, use something like Graviton Lance or the Oxygen as your main weapon and use a sniper rifle, hand cannon, or maybe even the Arbalest in your Kinetic Slot. 

Fun fact, I already am an asshole. I've been using the Oxygen and Malfeasance since I got former on Monday. I seem to be doing a lot better in IB/Crucible since using it. I never had something reliable for range before now.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

The IB weapon kill bounty gives you bonus progress for using an Energy Weapon or a Heavy Weapon and GUESS WHAT~?  GRAVITON LANCE IS AN ENERGY WEAPON~!!!

Unfortunately, you're going to see a lot of Recluse and Not Forgotten use since they are also EWs, but that will fall off as more players get to the Armor Bounty that seems to have been designed to mitigate PvP meta aka no Hand Cannons or Pulse Rifles or the other meta weapon combos.

I actually have never really used the Graviton Lance much. Is it one of the bigger PvP weapons normally? I see it sometimes, but not as often as your Luna's Howls, Recluses, Truths, shotguns, etc. That is god to know about the bonus. KIlls explains why one grenade kill gave me 4 percent while another gave me 2-3. I actually have moved up to 31% though its taken so much damn IB.

Despite my complaints the actual IB runs have been decentish. I think my teams have been winning more than losing though there is still the occasional bad loss. Still managed to do a few comeback victories and I'm actually doing well personally.

Took some time to knock out daily bounties and various quest steps for other non-IB/Crucible shit. I just need to do the 3 Nightfall runs for Truth which I may just wait until next week on purely because of the ridiculous amount of IB needed to be done to finish the armor quests. When finishing up the Rocket Launchers portions I had the misfortune of discovering that grenade launcher kills in Nightfalls don't seem to count towards the Wendigo quest for whatever reason. For some reason Mars has no daily heroic quest, but the weekly calibration quest for Banshee has me nearly done with Mars's power bounty.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I actually have never really used the Graviton Lance much. Is it one of the bigger PvP weapons normally? I see it sometimes, but not as often as your Luna's Howls, Recluses, Truths, shotguns, etc.

GL has not really been PvP meta since Pinnacle Weapons were introduced and Faction Rallies went the way of the Dodo.

New players really didn't use the GL since the catalyst has been unavailable like forever.  I imagine that the GL will see a slow renaissance now that the catalyst is back and people will remember how the Cosmology perk was a decent answer to team shooting.

It is very satisfying to precision kill the guy in the middle of a pack and then watch him and his buddies disappear in an explosion of purple flashes. 

Now think about that and factor in the IB where power matters and you are the 745+ and can survive low light team shooting long enough to plug one dude and goop his buddies at the same time.  I have gotten a shitload of Double Kills and one or two Triples during this tournament by way of black hole bullets.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Now think about that and factor in the IB where power matters and you are the 745+ and can survive low light team shooting long enough to plug one dude and goop his buddies at the same time.

That was quite helpful once yesterday in taking out 3-4 guys when i got a precision shot off with Oxygen the other day. The blast only killed two of them, but the other two were weak enough that I got them with a few shots just after.  

Edited by Eivion

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That was quite helpful once yesterday in taking out 3-4 guys when i got a precision shot off with Oxygen the other day. The blast only killed two of them, but the other two were weak enough that I got them with a few shots just after.  

Yep. Dragonfly ain't just for add control in PvE.   It has it's uses in PvP as well.

I nearly became an alcoholic dragging you to victory.

Unlike BestInTheeWorld, AWSMDUDE[numbers I can't remember] lived up to his gamertag.  That was a clutch Nighthawk GG shot.  

You could hear the joy in all of your voices once the Shrieker went down.

I was about to put on my hero moves and nuke the Shrieker with Wendigo after you made the orb drop and died, but one fucking Thrall snuffed that plan.  There are no words that will adequately describe the rage I felt, but that is why fireteams are made up of three people.

I'm glad we kept pushing.  We were way too close to just up and quit.  I knew that we'd crack the code with one or two more tries.

I didn't rez in time to grab my strike loot but after the win I was like, "Fuck those Blues.  I'll go to the Postmaster and shred them after we get to the fucking Tower."

Edited by J.T.

I played one IB match last night after the Thorn fireteam broke up and my side got stuck with a 398.   I was livid.

He came in dead last on the killer list and we lost, but I expected that.

However, I did not expect the JeffreyX20, the 750 Titan with a Luna's Howl, to come in second to last with the worst ER on the team.   The guns do not make the player.  You can easily tell the guys that legit earn their PvP Pinnacle Weapons from the assholes that pay someone to get the guns for them.

When I go after the Revoker / Recluse, that will be all me and if I rage before I complete the bounties I will at least be able to say that I tried and just left it all on the field.

As for the IB match standings , I was the best killer on my team in a losing effort.  20 Kills / 2.0 ER.

When I am your sweatiest player, you know the team is in trouble.

I finished the Captures bounty last night and I think I have both of the body count bounties and the ability kills bounty left.   The grenade part of the third armor bounty is grinding slowly.

I have some yardwork to do for my mom, but I should be online sometime after dinner.  If you are on, we'll hit the IB until we get tired of it and I will just futz around the Menagerie if you are not on until later.  I got my third shitty Austriger this morning and I fucked up my rune settings on my second run before work and made a Last Dance sidearm instead of a Drang.

Edited by J.T.

Oh, and I ran Menagerie a couple times this morning before heading in to work.

I got yet another Austringer with shitty stats but my squad was smart enough to exploit the glitch for the Gauntlet where everyone who died on the course waits until a player completes the final lap.

I got cheap credit for the All Runners Survived triumph and banked another 500 Imperials.   I think I still have the time trial triumphs for the Arkborn and the Hunted left.  

I was proud of myself.  This was the first time I made it past the second lap.  The autokill flamethrowers are so much bullshit.  They could at least be on a timer and not always on to give causals a fair shot at survival.

We also got the Secret Triumph for getting the boss to spawn in all three locations.   I didn't really know what to do.  I just followed my team and cleared adds. 

I highly recommend breaking out your Prometheus Lens for Solar Singe Menagerie this week, especially if yours has a completed catalyst.  It fucking melts.

I've now got four of the lore items from the Menagerie.  I need to hit Esoterickk's YouTube up to see where the fifth of the Confessions lore items is squirreled away.  I got the one in the Lamplighter room the very first time I ran Menagerie.  It was kinda hard to miss.

This morning I found the one in the Gauntlet room.  There is also one in one of the side rooms of the Hunted zone and there is one tucked away behind a statue in the hallway that leads from the Lamplighter room to the area where the Mockery trial is.

EDIT: I'm missing the lore item that is on a ledge in the Royal Theater.   I guess I was so busy trying to avoid the Shiny Walls of Death during Week 1 that forgot to search for it.  I'll keep an eye out for it when I am on later today.   I'm going to take another crack at making an ideal roll Drang before going off to make dudes weep in the IB.

I am going to hazard a guess and say that the asshole devs at Bungie are going to place the rest of the lore items in Heroic Menagerie and the raid.  I hate them so much...  I am so close to 60K Triumph Points that it isn't funny.

Edited by J.T.

After a dozen or more games I finally inched my way to finish line of the third quest step for IB. That was an annoying one to deal since no one else seemed to really be trying to finish people off with grenades. That was a horrible step to have for the sheer amount of grenade kills it takes. The fourth quest step has a lot involved, but seeing as half of the weapons involved have been the norm for this season I can't complain. Swords kills are way the hell more reasonable than grenade kills were. It honestly kind of sad since I managed to knock that part out in 3 games. Apparently I'm actually decent at murdering people with swords. I think I got more than a dozen kills by the time I hit 100%. Hopefully teams I'm working with today have people using fusion rifles and snipers. I'm not super adapt at using either, especially against actual people.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

As for the IB match standings , I was the best killer on my team in a losing effort.  20 Kills / 2.0 ER.

When I am your sweatiest player, you know the team is in trouble.

This how I know my team will lose. When I am the best guy I know we have a problem. I have gotten top spot less than a handful of wins. Even during those comeback victories where I'm initially the guy pulling my team through there is at least one other person who manages to step up and take the top spot by the time the match ends. I had the same kill/ER in one my of my losing efforts last night.

Edited by Eivion
  • Haha 1

I was pretty adept at getting sword kills when I played D1.   Dark Drinker was my best friend.

I was also good with Quickfang before HMGs became all the rage and no one used swords anymore.  The PvP Medals page in my Triumph queue says that I have about ten Regent medals.(Defeat 2 Enemies with a sword without switching weapons).

I currently have a Stryker's Surehand (aka the Black Armory Buster Sword) with Whirlwind Blade / Assassin's Blade on it and it is a beast in PPV when I actually get the chance to get my hands on purple.   I would use the Black Talon more often if it didn't cost an Exotic slot.

Lately I've been on teams where there is one Heavy Ammo hog on my team or I've suffered with people that could not control the Heavy Spawn area if their lives depended on it, so I rarely get the chance to use my sword unless I play extremely aggressively.

I hope Whirlwind Blade / Assassin's Blade is the roll I get on my Goldtusk, because the perks synergize extremely well on my Surehand.  The fact that Quickfang has a ninja sword feel to it but has En Guard instead of Assassin's Blade is more proof that the devs secretly hate D2 Hunters, IMO.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I currently have a Stryker's Surehand (aka the Black Armory Buster Sword) with Whirlwind Blade / Assassin's Blade on it and it is a beast in PPV when I actually get the chance to get my hands on purple.   I would use the Black Talon more often if it didn't cost an Exotic slot.

Yeah, Stryker's was the weapon I was using. I had totally forgot about Black Talon like an idiot until I was done with that part and some bastard was taking us out with it next game.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Lately I've been on teams where there is one Heavy Ammo hog on my team or I've suffered with people that could not control the Heavy Spawn area if their lives depended on it, so I rarely get my hands of Heavy unless I play extremely aggressively.

I try not to hog Heavy ammo, but I will totally go for it if only to deny the enemy team heavy weapons usage. Like I will waste as much of that shit as possible if I think or know I'm going to die.