DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

And let's talk about the elephant in the room.

I was able to record the cutscene from yesterday.

Spoiler

DID OSIRIS JUST THROW DOWN A PUNK CARD ON RASPUTIN~??

I'm trying not to get exited about the future prospect of a campaign arc where we get to unplug Rasputin after he goes Colossus / Skynet batshit insane because there are a lot of hanging chad storylines in this game that Bungie kicked off and then never did anything with the angle.

• Mara took off nearly three or more seasons ago to meet up with Elsie Bray / Exo Stranger and hasn't been seen since.  Remember the Pirate Queen concept art?  Neither do I.
  • Uldren Sov was resurrected by a Ghost like days after I put a bullet in his head.  What is he doing for the cause now?  I coulda used his punk ass when the shit hit the fan on Luna.
  • Nothing really came from the Emissary of the Nine's epic rat out of the Drifter.  So what if he's a scumbag?  We all knew that already.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

OH! 

@J.T. since you mentioned Uldren Sov, you saw that they hid a piece of lore about him on one of the Dawning ships right?

Yeah, I did, but I also talked about the cutscene so I spoilerized my post in case Eivion wasn't able to get on yesterday.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I had to boycott YouTube for the afternoon to remain spoiler free and I'm glad I did. 

Now everyone is discussing it and it will be difficult if not impossible to keep the surprise factor unless you just keep your phone and computers turned off until you launch the game.

Yeah I knew about the existence of the cutscene since I tend to watch Houndish's daily vids. I saw the actual scene last night.

I'm definitely interested in seeing where it goes though I'm trying to temper expectations. There are some things that haven't been followed up on because its blatantly clear they won't do anything with them outside of the major expansions or a D3. I lean towards the former since I think more and more that D3 won't happen.

Will say this. The stuff with Mara and the Nine was seemingly related to the pyramid on Mars. They haven't done direct follow ups, but they haven't left it all completely alone. Ratting out the Drifter was just a bonus for us to see. Its clear they are using him to prepare the Guardians for whatever shit is going down when the black ships return in full force. The pyramid on Mars is just the beginning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

TBH, I think the changes to Armor 2.0 are in response to the Powerful Friends mod being so well received and we'll probably see a lot of mods in the upcoming seasons that have bonus abilities tied to elemental affinity or the like.  I think the mods that impose stat penalties will probably go away because they are kinda stupid.  No one wants to take a -20 stat hit for a situational bonus to weapon or ability damage, especially for a mod that has a 4 charge rank or higher.

That is possible. I just suggest taking and wait and see approach before destroying any Dawn armors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That is possible. I just suggest taking and wait and see approach before destroying any Dawn armors.

If you accused me of shredding things before thinking the process through, you'd be sending the right guy to jail.

On the subject of D3, I think it eventually has to happen.  Code bloat will only make things worse as D2 goes along so eventually they will have to start over from scratch, especially in the wake of PlayStation 5 and future iterations of Xbox Series X.

I remember the bad days of EverQuest and FFXI where every subsequent DLC would break the game and require several patches or a hotfix. I'm sure that if memes were a thing back in the early MMO days, there would be one for Verant / SoE's EverQuest aka "We Broke Bards.... Again.."

Edited by J.T.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

On the subject of D3, I think it eventually has to happen.  Code bloat will only make things worse as D2 goes along so eventually they will have to start over from scratch, especially in the wake of PlayStation 5 and future iterations of Xbox Series X.

Yeah, thinking on it more it does have to happen for the exact reasons you mentioned. I just think its a long ways off with the talks of a five year plan last year. Honestly, I'm kind of hoping most of the big stories finish up before then and we somehow find ourselves moving to another galaxy or cluster with new races and enemies  to explore come D3. 

• Like 1

If I had a dollar for every time JT regretting shredding something - I could pay off my wife's student loans

RE: At a minimum, D3 ain't happening anytime soon since Bungie still has that $100 million deal with NetEase

The general thought is that they are doing whatever that fucking game is first THEN can use the expanded money and resources for D3

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

If I had a dollar for every time JT regretting shredding something - I could pay off my wife's student loans

The only thing I really regretted shredding was my first Quickfang.  So much so that I deleted and remade my Hunter for the sole purpose of getting the sword back.

Now I have a million and one regretful infusion stories for certain.   

Collections are the best thing Bungie ever put in the game.  It keeps my Vault clear since I can make nearly whatever I want at anytime and avoid hoarding.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

RE: At a minimum, D3 ain't happening anytime soon since Bungie still has that $100 million deal with NetEase

The general thought is that they are doing whatever that fucking game is first THEN can use the expanded money and resources for D3

I think D3 will happen because it has to, but it won't happen anytime soon.

Edited by J.T.

Did nothing but IB today. I generally did well personally, but the win/loss ration was probably 50/50. Still, I managed to finish up all but one IB bounty, and I finally have RTK. That thing is nice. I can see why its one of the gotos for Crucible right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Did nothing but IB today. I generally did well personally, but the win/loss ration was probably 50/50. Still, I managed to finish up all but one IB bounty, and I finally have RTK. That thing is nice. I can see why its one of the gotos for Crucible right now.

Yeah, you will pretty much melt anyone who trades shots with you.  For a rifle that has a pretty average TTK, the damage it does is surprising and sudden.  I think it catches a lot of players off guard, especially if you have Kill Clip active.

I also did pretty much nada yesterday.  I cleared some Crucible bounties while in the IB, played some Blind Well to knock out a couple of Gambit public service bounties, and tapped out early to watch AEW and NXT.  I'll probably grind IB with conviction on Sunday since I've got the thing on Saturday.

I did manage to get a god roll Zenobia-D yesterday in the IB.  Rangefinder / Cluster Bombs.  It's a god roll because Hakke rocket launchers come with tracking built into the frame, so Rangefinder / Cluster Bombs gives you the best of three worlds.  Now I have a solid cheese weapon to use on the Last Wish raids I'm never invited to attend..

RNG still doesn't want me to get a good roll on a Black Scorpion, Perfect Paradox, or Pyroclastic Flow, though.  I'll keep trying through the end of the season.

Also having no luck getting my preferred Spare Rations roll (Rangefinder / Explosive Payload), but I have time.  It'll be a minute before I'm ready to start working on the headshot kills part of the Luna's Howl quest.

I've been seeing a lot of Valakadyn auto-rifles being used in PvP lately, so it's time to check out some vids to see why it's entering the meta.

Weather forecast is calling for snow overnight, but I'll believe it when it happens.  Even if it comes, I'll probably only get a minor delay since it's been a ridiculously mild winter.  I won't luck out into a snow day where I can get some killing done in the Banner.

Edited by J.T.

Cleared all but one IB bounty last night.  Prime Engrams are dropping for me around 968 now.  I'll most certainly hit the hard light cap fairly soon if I keep this up.  Once I do that, I can see what LL my Exotics are in my Collections and do some Vault cleaning so that I can replicate my keepers at a higher light level.

Got stuck with a lot of idiots on my teams yesterday, but I was also paired with three and four stacks of straight-up killers.  Lost a match in overtime because my dumb team allowed a triple cap in OT.  Who does that? 

After that match, I got two wins via mercy where I maybe got to fire five shots from my rifle.  Victory smells nice, but I'd at least like to get some murdering in myself.

I'm all done with Nightmare Hunts and Sundial for the week.  I may try to get a Pit of Heresy run in on Sunday after some Gambit Prime.  I'm going to try to go hard in the IB after dinner and try to close out this last bounty.

Also I got a Zen Moment / Rangefinder roll on a Black Scorpion.  No Accurized Rounds or Arrowhead Break (I think mine has Corkscrew Rifling and Flared Magwell), but it is as close of a god roll as I have gotten over dozens of tries, so I'm keeping it.

Edited by J.T.

I really wish they would institute a system where you don't get punished when you are in a match where teammates are constantly dropping.

Like yesterday I played an IB match where we started with 4 people. Someone would get added and then drop or two people would join but someone else would drop. So we played the entire match down at least a man and over half of it down 2.

I really shouldn't be losing my streak because of that bullshit (and yes I realize how easily exploited that could be. But it should at least recognize when you don't start with a full team)

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I really wish they would institute a system where you don't get punished when you are in a match where teammates are constantly dropping.

Like yesterday I played an IB match where we started with 4 people. Someone would get added and then drop or two people would join but someone else would drop. So we played the entire match down at least a man and over half of it down 2.

I really shouldn't be losing my streak because of that bullshit (and yes I realize how easily exploited that could be. But it should at least recognize when you don't start with a full team)

Is it a bad connection thing or are dudes just logging out and crashing themselves to loading screen because they don't like the lobby and they got locked into the player queue before they could back out? 

Shit like that is why Bungie needs to bring back lobby preview so that players can bail before the match starts.

I have noticed that when I am playing Gambit Prime and the other team is short a man, they get a replacement almost immediately.  Meanwhile if my team is short a man, we pretty much struggle through half the match before we get help.... who usually bails when he sees how far behind we are.

I don't really mind starting a Crucible match in a 5v6 situation, but I hate being dropped into matches where my team is short and the score is like 17-75 or something.  Bungie needs to just lock rooms that only have like two minutes to go so that win streaks don't get fucked up.

I have had win streaks totally hosed when I've lost a match while still in the fucking loading screen and haven't even made it planetside to fire one shot in anger.  That's bullshit.

I also hate it that if both Crucible teams start off short, the enemy team usually gets the first replacement. I'm not sure if it's a connection thing or a region thing, but that shit needs to be fixed.

Edited by J.T.

You aren't supposed to lose your streak if you are dropped in mid-match. I know they implemented that feature a while ago and I definitely know there have been plenty of times where my streak doesn't go down when I join mid-match.

HOWEVER - there are definitely times it has also. So I wonder if there is a system where you get like one mulligan but if it happens two straight matches you are shit out of luck or something.

I have to assume there are times where it is a wacky Bungie server issue where the rosters get locked like it was a Survival match. Of course now that I think about it probably could have been bad connection for folks but you are supposed to be able to rejoin the match you dropped out of in a certain amount of time.

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You aren't supposed to lose your streak if you are dropped in mid-match. I know they implemented that feature a while ago and I definitely know there have been plenty of times where my streak doesn't go down when I join mid-match.

HOWEVER - there are definitely times it has also. So I wonder if there is a system where you get like one mulligan but if it happens two straight matches you are shit out of luck or something.

I have to assume there are times where it is a wacky Bungie server issue where the rosters get locked like it was a Survival match. Of course now that I think about it probably could have been bad connection for folks but you are supposed to be able to rejoin the match you dropped out of in a certain amount of time.

I've seen it happen three ways where I am either not charged with a loss, I lose one match out off my streak, or the game takes away my streak entirely.  I guess it may depend how early or how late you get dropped in.

If only one player gets kicked, it could either be connection or deliberate disconnection but if an entire stack goes away, it's probably connection.  You can sometimes tell because one guy from the stack will drop from the roster and his buddies soon follow.

TWAB has previews of coming attractions and most of them are nerfs.

• There will be a new Grandmaster difficulty for Ordeal Nightfalls and probably other PvE content.
  • Izanagi's Burden will receive a nerf.  Outlaw perk will be replaced by No Distractions and Reload Speed will not buff the reload animation for Honed Edge.
  • The Icebreaker rule is now in effect since we're all about trivializing encounters by killing shit before it can engage us.  The buffs to Sniper Rifles in PvE that were put in place in Shadowkeep will now be removed.  
  • Grenade Launchers will also be nerfed.  All Aggressive Frame GLs will be converted to Rapid Fire frames and their damage has been reduced to account for the RoF.  GL damage in general to Major level enemies and above will be reduced by 10%.  Good bye Swarm of the Raven strat in Crown of Sorrow and Prospector cheese in Last Wish.
  • LoW will receive yet another nerf.  Release the Wolves perk has received an accuracy nerf to make it more of a close quarters weapon.  Prior to the nerf, RtW allowed LoW to have the same damage output at a longer range as the default setting.  They are calling this a fix, but I am not sure.
  • Tons of adjustments for Last Word just in time for my Luna's Howl struggle.  Hip Fire damage will be buffed and ADS damage will be slightly nerfed to encourage Fan Firing, but precision shots will have a larger damage modifier than body shot damage.  This feels like something of a nerf, but Last Word precision damage from Hip Fire in D1 was insane so this may be a good thing if it gets the gun out of the hands of bullet spammers and rewards players who take the time to become skill proficient..  I won't know whether I like the changes or not until I shoot someone and hopefully I'll have a Luna's soon anyway.
  • Shotgun target acquisition will be altered so that there is more freedom of aim, but ADS no longer adjusts effective range.  On paper, it's a fix for the random pellet spread issues that One Two Punch shotty users absolutely hate, but shotgun apes worldwide are probably setting tires on fire in the streets right now because aim assist is going bye bye.  RIP Mindbenders.
  • Similar adjustments are being made to Fusion Rifles, thank God.  Range is being nerfed along with zoom.  RIP Erentil FR4.  I will not miss being cross map OHKed by that fucking thing.
  • Auto Rifles will be receive damage buffs depending on the frame to allow them to be more competitive with pulse rifles and scouts in PvE and PvP.  The era of the Hard Light meta has returned and Titans and Warlocks with Monte Carlos will be all over the place.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of Auto Rifles - it was only recently that I noticed Sweet Business had become the new hottness

I don't think Sweet Biz ever left the meta.  I think new players are just discovering it for themselves.

God help us next season if they are running Titans and really take a close look at the benefit that the perk for the Actium War Rig provides.

Edited by J.T.