DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

On 1/24/2020 at 1:29 PM, Eivion said:

Resilience doesn't really seem to come in play all that much for regular Crucible. Does it actually play a bigger part in IB?

I don't really worry about a high Resilience score in normal Crucible because level disadvantages are not enforced, so Hunters will tend to be squishy no matter what.  I usually focus on Mobility and Recovery and do what I can to augment my speed and Super generation aka Traction and Dynamo mods.  

With a Dynamo mod, I can usually generate about two supers a match if I am diligent about using my grenades to support my team, dodging when I should, and using my melee ability when the shit hits the fan.  I tend to pop my first super around the 5 minute mark so that I have enough time during the match to maybe get a chance for another run in the twilight seconds of regulation game time. 

Nothing ruins a team's day by having some asshole like me slash through or burn down half your entire team with like ten seconds to go in the match and stealing the lead..

In the IB, however, I personally find that it helps to be a little bit tanky so that I have a better chance of winning 1v1s with people who are lesser light than me, but still close enough that I'm not auto-death to them.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

For the first time I think someone might have been legit cheating a bit. Somehow how the top player on the opposing team had a mobility and recovery of 100. I don't think that is technically impossible with mods and particular stat rolls, but it didn't add up at all for his mobility when I was checking his armor. 

It is possible to have two stat scores that are 100 if you invest in the right armor mods and masterwork every piece to get the stat bonuses.

The trade off being that if you've burned all of your armor points with ability mods, that doesn't leave too many armor points left to spend on things like targeting mods, weapon loader mods, aim assist mods, ammo scavengers, or ability buff mods.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

My dream of running the table on Flawless HM Boss runs has been deferred for now.  I got into four HM runs and someone would inevitably die before we brought the boss down.   One of those incidents was my fault, but I call bullshit. 

The fucking killer electric barrier barely clipped my fucking toe as I dodged by, but apparently that was enough to fry me to a crisp and cost us a Flawless run.  I felt horrible. 

Thankfully, the team leader was just looking for a Izanagi catalyst clear, so he wasn't too broken hearted about it given that we almost wiped during the Gauntlet but I made a clutch run during Wave 2 to keep the team alive.

If you're keeping track, it's the 4th week after Heroic Sundial was introduced.  The boss rotation should be back to the intro challenge aka the Arc Singe boss.

I will probably try to get another Heroic clear under my belt for the Pinnacle reward, but the real challenge will hit on Feb 3 when Inotam is introduced with Legend Sundial or at least that's what the roadmap says.  

I'm just going to assume that Inotam's special ability will be to spam all of the powers that the Heroic level Flayers have.   I should be able to get my Sundial load-out up to 980 by then and hopefully the encounter will still be limited to Barrier and Unstoppable Champions.  

I have a good strat for running against BCs and UCs in Sundial so I should be GTG and I have several clears so I shouldn't have trouble getting into an LFG group where the leader is checking Destiny Tracker reports.

Edited by J.T.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is a common load out for sweaty Crucible players - basically they max mobility and recovery and min Resilience 

I am assuming they were a Hunter because that is who it is "best" for (I use quotes because players can follow the meta but they need to know how to actually play to take full advantage)

Basically the mobility allows Hunters to jump through the roof so the "Slide, shotgun, jump back a 1000 feet" is the common strategy.

It doesn't really apply to Titan in PvP since we don't hop all over the fucking map

Also remember that some weapons - like MIDA - boost mobility so its not all just in armor

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

It is possible to have two stat scores that are 100 if you invest in the right armor mods and masterwork every piece to get the stat bonuses.

The trade off being that if you've burned all of your armor points with ability mods, that doesn't leave too many armor points left to spend on things like targeting mods, weapon loader mods, aim assist mods, ammo scavengers, or ability buff mods.

I had noticed a tendency of people to lack anything in resilience during Crucible so I'm not shocked its a common loadout. I find it annoying for the shotgun focused pricks though I blame the ridiculous distance shotguns have more than anything else.

Yeah. I figured it was possible. The thing is as I mentioned before, the loadout the person was using didn't make sense. Even if he had a weapon that boosted mobility I can't see it making the difference since the stats he had for mobility wouldn't have even added up to 60. Also don't think he was using any weapons that increased mobility in the first place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Yeah. I figured it was possible. The thing is as I mentioned before, the loadout the person was using didn't make sense. Even if he had a weapon that boosted mobility I can't see it making the difference since the stats he had for mobility wouldn't have even added up to 60. Also don't think he was using any weapons that increased mobility in the first place.

Yeah, players rarely use weapons with HC rounds in PvP these days because they assume that every player has some sort of unflinching aim mod on their armor, so flinch is almost non-existent.  Ricochet Rounds are all the rage thanks to the Range bonus they offer.

I still believe in HC Rounds, though, because you never know when being able to flinch a shooter even a slight bit will save your ass..  HC Rounds are one of my favorite weapon mods.

The huge con to depending on stat buffs is that you are leaving yourself open to things like weapon flinch and you're depending on your high recovery to get you back into the fight when your barrier is broken in a 1v1. 

This is why team shooting is so important.   You and your team need to be able to quickly finish people off when you have an enemy player that's badly hurt. In Valor or Glory matches, the team that is best able to clean up each other's picks is the team that usually wins.  If your buddy's sniper shot hits body instead of head, you need to be right there to clap his target with your own fire.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is fine. Everything is fine.

Suits me just fine because I get off work around Noon Pacific / 3PM EDT.  Shit should be fixed by the time I get online later on this afternoon.

Since Bungie has a habit of overpromising and underproducing, I probably won't get to play until tomorrow.

Edited by J.T.

Well, guess I will have find something else to for next few hours. I was going to start playing within the next hour or so. Maybe I will watch more of the Outsider or Killing Eve S2.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Well, guess I will have find something else to for next few hours. I was going to start playing within the next hour or so. Maybe I will watch more of the Outsider or Killing Eve S2.

Latest episode is beginning to connect the dots.  It is a strong continuation of the story, but it's slowly starting to become The Holly Gibney Show.  I'm sorta hoping that there is enough substance in the story to keep Outsider from becoming consumed by Holly's cult of personality.

Spoiler

Even though that's pretty much what happens in the novel. 

Which would be understandable since Holly is SK's most fully formed female character ever to the point where fans fucking rioted at the thought of bad things happening to her so in ironic Misery-like fashion, King's fans pressured him into protecting her so much that she became a Mary Sue.

Edited by J.T.

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Latest episode is beginning to connect the dots.  It is a strong continuation of the story, but it's slowly starting to become The Holly Gibney Show.  I'm sorta hoping that there is enough substance in the story to keep Outsider from becoming consumed by Holly's cult of personality.

Reveal hidden contents

Even though that's pretty much what happens in the novel. 

Which would be understandable since Holly is SK's most fully formed female character ever to the point where fans fucking rioted at the thought of bad things happening to her so in ironic Misery-like fashion, King's fans pressured him into protecting her so much that she became a Mary Sue.

Only caught the first two episodes so far, but I'm digging it. I don't know much about King's actual books so I wasn't aware the incoming character was one who appeared elsewhere. Now you have me a little worried since I like the cast they have so far and don't want too much attention taken away from them.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:07 PM, RIPPA said:

And said forums are pretty much in open revolt over this 

Over a day's worth of lost gaming?  People are stupid.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:51 PM, Eivion said:

I read some of those forum comments. I should not have.

Those assholes who are that unhappy should just uninstall like they always threaten to do... but they won't.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I hooked up with a really good LFG fireteam and we cleared Scarlet Keep on 950 LL with a score of around 160K, so that unlocked my Ordeal Nightfall Threshold Score triumph.   We did well enough to knock out the Weekly Challenge and the 100K Challenge in the same run..

I found zero groups running Heroic Sundial before I had to hit the sack in prep for work.   There were lots of folks running Heroic Menagerie this afternoon, though.  I assume those were Izanagi catalyst runs.  I was tempted to take a shot at a Goldtusk roll, but I decided to get some sleep rather than game hard too far into the afternoon.  I've got night duty for the next two weeks.

I assume that few people want to run Heroic Sundial this week because it's not the triumph boss and the shitty arc boss that can wipe entire teams in an instant is back into the rotation.  I just want another clear for my emblem and more Pinnacle Energy Weapon infusion fodder.   It would be nice to get my Sundial load-out up to a solid 980 LL before next Tuesday when Inotam, the endgame Flayer boss for the Sundial, debuts.

I also need to give my Dreambane Armor some love since I eventually want to attempt to run 980 Nightmare Hunt time trials and would like to finish the Xenophage quest before the end of the decade.  If the Super Bowl is a blow-out, I may LFG for a Pit of Heresy Sherpa team.

Edited by J.T.

Oh, and I experienced a couple of weird glitches over the past week or so:  one fixed by the recent patch and the other not quite so much.

I completed a Dreaming City Purification Ritual bounty for the XP because it was easy (i.e. Defeat a Plague of the Well while Ascended) and somehow the armor mod reward could not be seen in my inventory even though I knew it was there because of that fucking annoying new shit in your inventory shimmer effect.  

The mods that remove the Riven's Curse debuff from RDA aren't supposed to work like the other mods aka buy it once and it's yours.  Bungie wants to force you to complete five Purification Rituals in order to "remove" the Riven's Curse debuff mods from a full set of RDA, but apparently someone fucked up and put the Purification Ritual mods in the same database as the others that are interchangeable between items.

This was fixed by the most recent patch that broke the game this past Tuesday. I can now see the RDA cleansing mod in my inventory.

The other glitch is that I shredded two Ghosts recently, one with the EDZ Analyzer perk and another with the Hellas Basin Analyzer perk. 

Now I am able to detect resources and chests on both planets as if I had an active resource finder perk on my Ghost on even though I don't.   So far this hasn't been fixed and I have to admit to being quite happy to be able to locate chests on Mars and the EDZ at will when I have active bounties from Devrim or Ana that require me to loot chests in patrol zones on those respective planets.

I imagine this will get hotfixed pretty soon.

Edited by J.T.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Over a day's worth of lost gaming?  People are stupid.

Those assholes who are that unhappy should just uninstall like they always threaten to do... but they won't.

I will say this... I have never seen a company have a major issue like this and not at the bare minimum apologize.

I mean it means nothing but they never once were like "we are sorry for any inconvenience this caused" It was just "we will keep you updated"

And then to not even be like "Hey - here is a free engram" or something is a little weird. Maybe there will be more in today's TWIB but still.

Yes it didn't affect you and me because we didn't play thus didn't potentially lose our shit but look at it this way

Imagine if we had completed the fucking Thorn quest after the hot fix and then they said "Whoops - never mind that never happened"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Imagine if we had completed the fucking Thorn quest after the hot fix and then they said "Whoops - never mind that never happened"

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

I was thinking the same thing. A day isn't normally much, but if you completed a big exotic quest i can see why you would be pissed.

I cede the point that I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to do something like Chasm of Screams or Corridors of Time / Bastion all over again. 

I will admit that I was a little perturbed when I heard that materials had disappeared because I am a hoarder, so I am glad that the rollback restored all of my stuff.

As far as inconvenience goes, even though I play quite a bit I don't think I am so invested in the game that a day without playing would cause me to demand immediate compensation for lost productivity.  That sounds too much like a job rather than a pastime.

I do realize, however, that there are some parties that use D2 as an extra revenue stream so to folks like YouTube and Twitch streamers or content carriers / account recovery players, it really is like a lost day of financial productivity.

That being said, I don't think that the vast majority of the complainers out there fall into that category.   It's the same sort of MMO people that demand free shit as "compensation" when there is an event that generates what is felt to be excessive amount of downtime.  I don't want to get to the point where I feel that a day without D2 is like a day without sunshine.

It's not the day of moot gaming that really bothered me.  It's the weeks of grinding that did not count towards my seasonal triumphs that was absolutely infuriating.  That's the kind of lost time investment that needed to be addressed.   I think the reason that reset day fiasco doesn't really upset me is because despite the no-play day, the bugs that IMO should've been dealt with weeks ago were finally fixed.

We're well over halfway through the season.  This shit should've been patched a month ago.

Edited by J.T.

Azteccross has produced a vid about the Twitch Prime re-released loot deal announced today.

I'm not terribly impressed.   That gear is more likely to draw in new players rather than satisfy older gamers.  

If they really wanted to impress me, they'd offer the rarer jumpships from earlier seasons like Symmetry Flight, the Bandwagon, and Eriana's Revenge or extremely rare sparrows like Hastilude or Grey Hornet,  

All of that content was free though.  People who spent Silver on Sparrows and Jumpships paid for uniqueness, so I think that content should stay locked.

The Empyrian Foundation project goes live next week along with Legend Sundial IIRC. 

I have already saved up a little over 5K Fractalines that are ready for donation, so I'll be getting that emblem and triumph on Day One.  It also looks like I'll be returning to knocking out the Obelisk Weekly Bounties and Saint-XiV's Daily Bounties to keep contributing to the cause.

Edited by J.T.

In gameplay news. Heroic Sundial clear #4 is a wrap.   I rolled with a bunch of British dudes around 11AM this morning and we pulled off a near textbook run.   We had the odd death there and there but we were never close to wiping.

Pinnacles drop for me at 964 now.  I chose a Pinnacle Heavy to upgrade my Colony.  Yeah, I know I am a douchebag.

If I keep infusing stuff, I will be a solid 980 LL for all of my major event gear.   I don't really give a crap about bumping up the Light for my Gambit Prime armor even though level advantages are not disabled.   I am plenty dangerous running around as a 978.  There's also no sense in overbuffing my Heroic Menagerie gear since despite the added modifiers, the base encounter is still 750.

I will naturally favor my Crucible gear for infusion because Iron Banner and I need to keep upgrading my Dreambane and Sundial gear to keep pace with Legend and Master level game play.

I'm thinking that I'm going to pull the trigger on getting Xenophage done this Sunday night if the Super Bowl sucks.  Either that or I will FINALLY go recover the last remaining lore items I have to retrieve from Shattered Throne.

Edited by J.T.

Played some Gambit Prime and got the Season 9: Rituals triumph under my belt.  I'm closing in on the Triumphant Invader triumph.  I'm now 19 / 25 for Sniper Rifle / LFR kills and I'm at 75 / 100 Motes Drained.  I've only got one Shotgun / Fusion Rifle kill out of twenty-five.  I feel that I should close that gap with Bastion and steady portal hoarding.

Speaking of portal hoarding, I was in a match today with a guy that kept using the portal almost every time it activated.

I was annoyed at first, but then the dude would get 2-3 kills and denied like a billion motes so I ceded and let him do his thing.   We won that match and I still got in a game winning invasion where I wiped the enemy team with a Blade Barrage while my unit finished melting our Primeval.

I need to start remembering to emote if I get a kill with five seconds or less on my Invader ticker.  It seems a bit douchey, but I'll do it since there is triumph to be had.

I really should get my ass in gear and get some Crucible play in this weekend, but I'm dreading it.  I need to win this next Comp match to get my Glory 3-Win Streak triumph in, but my teams always seem to let me down this season (or I let them down....) when I'm going for the third win. 

I can't blame it all on shitty matchmaking.  I've been on a couple of teams that started off strong and then inexplicably fell apart at match point and allowed the enemy team to rally and win.  I definitely share the blame in the meltdowns by trying too hard to be a hero when I saw that momentum was shifting, only to end up getting put down due to reckless play.

I've learned a lot from those matches so if my team is up 3-1 or 3-2, I am going to do my best to make sure we close the show and I'll do it with smart play.  No comebacks and no cowboy shit.  Stick with the group, clean up each other's picks, and pop a super to seal the deal when the other team is out of lives.

Edited by J.T.

Well, I think my Mayhem career is probably done.  I've gotten my 25 Solar Kills via Blade Barrage and secured another win with a Triple Down flash super with about a minute to go in regulation..

I'm not sure if I want to venture into the world of Hunter roaming supers in that game mode since I've seen most people using roaming supers get totally fucking wrecked by flash supers.

Just today I shut down a Void Warp Warlock, Sentinel Shield Titan, and a Spectra Blades Hunter with BB.  

I also got what appears to be my first win in the Control playlist.   It was an ugly match on Solitude.  I'm not crazy about that map, but I don't hate it as much as Twilight Gap or Gambler's Ruin. My team decided to be idiots and tried to play a lot of Clash, but the other team also went stupid and that allowed me to secure caps fairly unmolested. 

I finished the match with 14 Kills / 2.0 ER and seven caps.  My kill numbers were so low compared to everyone else on my team because I was the one doing doing all of the zone capping.  My kills were mostly zone defense murders.

I am dreading my first Glory match of the weekend even more now that I am 2-0 in Crucible and Matchmaking certainly believes I'm due for a loss.  I got my ass kicked all over the place in Gambit Prime on Friday so I hope to get another Crucible win to balance things out..  I made a lot of progress on the Triumphant Invader triumph but my teams lost more matches than they won.  I think I was 2-4 overall.

Edited by J.T.

I had the weirdest Comp match yesterday. It benefited me but on some levels it is still really irritating

Match starts and I immediately notice that the third guy on my side isn't moving. So I immediately know where this is going. And yup - drops out.

Now to be fair - I am pretty sure it was due to Bungie's shit servers. Anyway me and the other guy on my team just set off to make due the best we can. We lose the first round in OT so clearly we are both like "Okay - we have a shot".

We win Round 2 and it is obvious that one guy on the other team has no business playing Comp. So we picked on the weak and ran down the other teams lives but picking on the one guy.

Here is where the weirdness starts. As Round 3 starts, I notice that a guy on the other team starts purposely killing himself. So he blows through all their lives and we win Round 3.

Round 4 starts and the guy on the other team is actively now throwing the match as he instantly dies again. HOWEVER - I suddenly notice the other guy on my team starts humping the wall and.. yup... he gets booted due to shitty servers. So I am now technically playing 1 vs 3. 

The other guy blows through their lives and eliminates himself. The guy who is shit has gone AFK and so basically it is me - with a healthy bank of lives vs the one dude on other team who is trying but has no margin for error. I felt bad for him. I think I finished with a kill streak at like 12.

Long story short - I won the match 4 to 1 technically by myself.

I should have reported the guy actively throwing the match but I couldn't remember which guy it was and I didn't want to report the wrong player. Plus - it didn't help that two different guys got booted because Bungie couldn't get its shit together.

• Like 1