DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Oh, I don't know about that.  The four-burst from the VW is almost a two-tap kill for players with mid-level Resilience and the Exotic weapon perk is perfect for team shooting.  If your buddy dies, your health regens and you can probably avenge him and also smoke one or two more players.  VW is a pretty good PvP gun.

It was always pretty mediocre for me. The firing was too slow. I was too far away to get decent damage half the time. And the perk never really activated when I needed it. I used Infinite Paths 8 for a short period of time while finishing up the catalyst and found it more useful. Want to say I had a better time with Bad Juju as well the few time I used it for Crucible.

Haven't started the actual Bastion quest, but I ran all of the Corridors last night. I did not enjoy that at all. That was just tedious as hell and I curse whoever came up with it.

I know there is some annoyance among the fans about Bastion being the reward that quest.People were hoping for a secret exotic weapon. I would say people over hyped themselves, but they kind of have a point. It was rather shitty to design such a quest only to dish out an exotic we were already getting in two weeks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

It was always pretty mediocre for me. The firing was too slow. I was too far away to get decent damage half the time. And the perk never really activated when I needed it.

Funny because the perk has saved my ass more than once, but if you are on a team with guys cleaning up your picks after you're dead it doesn't help.

And yeah, IMO Bad Juju is an overall better Exotic pulse to use in PvP.  Even with the perk nerfed from D1 to D2, it still helps you generate your super a tad faster and the weapon synergizes well if you have a Dynamo mod on your class item.  

The team that is able to generate more than three supers in one Survival match has a better shot at winning.

Haven't started the actual Bastion quest, but I ran all of the Corridors last night. I did not enjoy that at all. That was just tedious as hell and I curse whoever came up with it.

The maze runs were bullshit and solving the puzzle even moreso.  You had to totally blunder on the first solution just to be able to see the clues in the transparent floor in the Vault.  Then you had to solve the puzzle and make further runs to get more clues to other routes.  My thanks goes to the dudes who cracked the code for the rest of us.

I know there is some annoyance among the fans about Bastion being the reward that quest.  People were hoping for a secret exotic weapon. I would say people over hyped themselves, but they kind of have a point. It was rather shitty to design such a quest only to dish out an exotic we were already getting in two weeks.

I was a bit surprised because I had always heard that Bastion going live was supposed to happen a bit later in the season, but it's already close to the end of January and Dawn is supposed to shut down right after Crimson Days in mid-February.  There's not as much season left as some people think there is.

And Bastion is a very solid and balanced weapon.  Like I said before, I think people are just bitter because they assumed that because of the way you had to acquire the weapon, Bastion would be more PvE friendly when in actuality it seems to bring more to Crucible and Gambit play. 

It's a good close quarters engagement weapon for an Invader and it also provides excellent shotgun defense even against Warlocks and Titans with mid to high Resilience.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So apparently the Corridors of time are going away at rest next week (Jan 28) so if you haven't finished the lore book, you have another week

That's dumb, but not as dumb as putting the Bastion quest out for free.  People who want Bastion should have to run the maze like the rest of us who got it over the weekend.

Barely anyone is going to run that stupid maze just for lore and an emblem and the Bastion quest is as easy as falling off of a log.  The challenge comes from having the patience to complete the Corridors of Time runs.

The players who solved the puzzle should definitely get something special.  There have got to be secret items in the database like the old Fate of All Fools in D1 that they can reward really diligent players with.

I only played in two IB matches yesterday before crapping out.  I got a couple of Grenade Launcher kills with The Colony that counted toward this dumb Mountaintop triumph and I'm rolling with my Redrix re-roll to get the kill counter value higher.  Of course, I also have my Recluse.  My douchebag load-out is super douchey this tournament.

Speaking of the maze and the tournament, there are a lot of Bastions floating about so be careful.  You cannot trade close fire with the fucking thing.  If you are in front of the barrel when it pops off, you're probably dead.  Bastion is now the preferred weapon of crouched zone defenders.  If you round a corner and have the misfortune to hear it spin up, it's already too late.

I've used my Dodge to escape Bastion death and I have seen a Titan put up a miracle Barricade that took the salvos meant for his dome, but poor Warlocks and their Healing Rifts seem to be ass out.  They MIGHT be able survive one salvo if they are in their Healing Rift and have a really high Resilience, but a second salvo will most assuredly kill them.

If you're going to use one, put some mods on your armor to help it perform better.  Remember, it's a Fusion Rifle even though it's Kinetic, so you still have to use the Light Reactor armor mod if you want kills to count towards your Super energy.

Edited by J.T.

I played 3 IB matches - despite the server being stupid.

Like the first match I tried to join it loaded in, told me we would be on The Citadel (but it was on a black screen), that lasted like a minute then if finally got to the team screen. So after Shaxx goes IRON BANNER~! and I expect the game to start I get booted with the "Are you still there?" message saying I was removed for inactivity.

So I was about to toss my game out the window.

I think we won all three matches. It was at least 2 of them.

EDIT - Also I didn't see a single Bastion which actually surprised me.

31 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That's dumb, but not as dumb as putting the Bastion quest out for free.  People who want Bastion should have to run the maze like the rest of us who got it over the weekend.

Barely anyone is going to run that stupid maze just for lore and an emblem and the Bastion quest is as easy as falling off of a log.  The challenge comes from having the patience to complete the Corridors of Time runs.

The players who solved the puzzle should definitely get something special.  There have got to be secret items in the database like the old Fate of All Fools in D1 that they can reward really diligent players with.

Datto was theorizing that it had something to do with investors (basically someone involved with the money) and that Bungie didn't want to have a surprise Exotic that was only available to season pass holders.

And since Bastion was advertised on the road map as an exotic quest for everyone - they needed to have it so you didn't need to go through the corridors. (which I believe was always going to go away at the end of the season like Vex Invasions did)

Again this goes back to the discussion we had when Shadowkeep first game out where they are trying to serve two masters in keeping everyone happy. (Where some folks were unhappy that everyone eventually got Eriana's Vow and other people complained that season pass holders got an exotic for doing nothing).

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Datto was theorizing that it had something to do with investors (basically someone involved with the money) and that Bungie didn't want to have a surprise Exotic that was only available to season pass holders.

And since Bastion was advertised on the road map as an exotic quest for everyone - they needed to have it so you didn't need to go through the corridors. (which I believe was always going to go away at the end of the season like Vex Invasions did)

The whole point of being a Season Pass holder is that we're supposed to get better shit than the Free-For-Play people and have more access to game functionality, but if Bungie was stupid and advertised Bastion as being available for all, then they have to honor that.

And it won't just be the Corridors that are going away at the end of the season.  The entire fucking Sundial shout go poof, although I hope Bungie keeps Osiris and Saint-XIV in the game as active vendors.

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Again this goes back to the discussion we had when Shadowkeep first game out where they are trying to serve two masters in keeping everyone happy. (Where some folks were unhappy that everyone eventually got Eriana's Vow and other people complained that season pass holders got an exotic for doing nothing).

If the Free-For-Play people want the same shit as Season Pass holders, they need to buy a fucking Season's Pass.  Otherwise what's the point of being a Season's Pass holder?

Season Pass holders DID do something for the Eriana's Vow exotic.  We paid for a fucking Season's Pass.

Bungie needs to hire the guy that runs Wizards 101 because he has no problems creating clear power gaps between free players and paying players.  If you want the better items and spells and want to adventure further into the game realm than the lowbie zones, you need to cough up some loot.

Edited by J.T.

Reading through those last posts just makes it even more dumb that they didn't put out a different exotic as the reward for the Corridors quest. That would have been the best option instead of giving out a weapon everyone was already getting. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Reading through those last posts just makes it even more dumb that they didn't put out a different exotic as the reward for the Corridors quest. That would have been the best option instead of giving out a weapon everyone was already getting. 

I totally agree.  Right now FTPs get more or less the same rewards as Season Pass holders, but they have to grind a bit harder.  There needs to be a more substantive incentive other than "get your shit earlier" to buy a Season Pass even though that incentive works just fine for me..  I am lazy so its better for me to get my Seasonal Armor set on Day One, but I am not sure that mere convenience is enough for other players. 

I also like the timetable for SP holders.  The Exotic catalyst quests for the past two seasons have been a pain in the ass so the earlier I get them, the more time I have to complete them.

I haven't run any Ordeal Nightfall this week.  I know it's either the Arms Dealer strike or Tree of Probabilities, but I am not sure what the 920 modifier is.  I'm sure you'll probably have to run it on 950 or higher to get 100K since it is a short strike and fireteams have a tendency to one phase the boss in either strike before the first add shows up.

This IB is getting interesting now that the median SP holder's light level averages around 970-ish.   I am finding myself in the middle of the food chain even at 977 LL as four to six stacks of 970's and 980's are showing up in Matchmaking.  

I was with a team of 960 to 970 randos last night taking on a six stack made up of guys that were barely 960.  We mercied them in less than seven minutes.  I don't think they quite understand the concept of the Iron Banner.

I also got my third Heroic Sundial completion.  The Void boss was a bit of a pain in the ass.  He spams his trap bubble more often than he does in Normal Sundial, so we had few guys blow themselves up with rockets because the fucking Flayer would perfectly time his trap bubble just as someone on our team would open fire.  We got him down to a sliver of yellow bar and it still took me a tether and ten LB heavy arrows to kill the bastard.

I am dreading next week because I've got night duty starting on Sunday and the Boss Flayer you need to nuke for the triumph should be up.  I may have to find a group of UKs to run with immediately after reset on Tuesday.

Edited by J.T.

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I got home late, played 1 IB match, won it while completing all the Daily Crucible bounties

Decided that was the best I was going to do and went to bed.

I got started earlier in the day so that I could crap out early to watch NXT and AEW.

It took two or three matches to get bounties done since I was stubborn and wanted to do the Weekly Bounty which required Solar kills.  I had to rely on Blade Barrage for the Solar kills since my preferred EW / PW load out is all Void..  Naturally since it takes forever for BB to charge up even with a Dynamo mod, it took two matches to get the Use Your Super Twice bounty done.

I managed to get The Nothing bounty (5 Void kills any way) done in one match after getting a Recluse kill and two Double Downs with the Colony.

Edited by J.T.

I did all my Crucible weeklies yesterday

Part of the reason I stopped playing was because I also realized that I am off tomorrow so i can just grind then.

That being said - I should finish the "Get kills when your team has the advantage" bounty done today since I am at like 94%" and the matches played one wont be far behind.

I need to grind a little more Gambit as I am almost done with the seasonal bounty (already got the kills, am like half a circle from Mythic and over 50% on the streak thing)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I did all my Crucible weeklies yesterday

Part of the reason I stopped playing was because I also realized that I am off tomorrow so i can just grind then.

That being said - I should finish the "Get kills when your team has the advantage" bounty done today since I am at like 94%" and the matches played one wont be far behind.

I need to grind a little more Gambit as I am almost done with the seasonal bounty (already got the kills, am like half a circle from Mythic and over 50% on the streak thing)

I need to prioritize IB grinding this week because that's 4 pieces of Pinnacle gear waiting to be infused into something else.

I think I am done with that Gambit triumph you're talking about, but I'll check the queue and find out. 

I'm slowly chipping away at the Triumphant Invader dealie.   I'm almost halfway done with the SR / LFR kills and the Motes Stolen parts.  I've barely gotten any Shotgun or Fusion Rifle kills as an Invader and I'm still debating whether to use Bastion or LoW for that part.  Both weapons have their pros and cons.

Even if I get the TI triumph done, I probably won't shred my Invader armor so that I can still take a shot at maybe unlocking the Hard Way triumph (kill the entire enemy team using only Primary or Energy Weapns).  Invading is not as simple as it used to be now that you run into entire teams armed with Truth.

Should I be fortunate enough to finish the Triumphant Invader triumph, I'll struggle with the Collector and Reaper triumphs and maybe get the Reckoner triumph seal complete before my 100000000th birthday.

Edited by J.T.

Holy fuck.  There's nothing like the IB to showcase just how shitty the matchmaking is in this game.

I played in about five matches last night and went 3-2.  All of the wins were mercy killings and the losses were by mercy rule.  It's like the game doesn't even try to balance the sides or make things fair.  It seems to know the best way to stack one team so that the other is almost guaranteed to lose.

One of the wins was against a six-stack of 960's and below who had the sad misfortune to be put up against a group of randos whose lowest LL guy was 972.   We beat the living shit out of those guys.  I almost felt bad for them, but a win is a win.  I just sat there and wondered why those poor bastards got matched up against us.  Certainly there had to be at least another four-stack out there in the ether made up of players of similar LL and two more randos close in LL out there to pull into the lobby so that everyone could play in a competitive match.

By contrast one of the losses yesterday was to a six-stack of guys with LLs no less than 977. 

I was the max light guy on our team...… at 977. 

There was an 894 LL guy on my team that had one kill. and a 0.13 ER (that's point one three...) at the end of the match.  That's how bad it was.  I held up pretty well with 8 kills and a 1.43 ER, so I was thrilled that I didn't finish negative in that slaughter.

Edited by J.T.

Azteccross's 2.7.1 patch preview.

My position on the Bastion has softened somewhat after reading the TWAB. 

The one thing I've always hated about this game is the fact that some of the high end / high reward content like the discovery of secret quests (Whisper of the Worm in D2 / Black Spindle in D1, Zero Hour) or the First In / First Clear raiding contests are definitely reserved for the hardcore endgame You Had To Be There gaming clans who have the time to devote hours and hours to gameplay.

I don't have that kind of time and even if I did, I wouldn't devote it solely to D2.

This puzzle OTOH was solved by a large group of people and everyone in the community benefitted from the solution.  In principle, I am good with that.  I still believe that the people that contributed the most to solving the puzzle should receive something worthwhile well over and above the Exotic weapon reward, Bastion. 

At the very least, give them a unique ornament for the weapon..  Fuck..

My thoughts on the patch:

• Thank God they're finally addressing the performance and framerate issues in stuff like Gambit.
  • It also looks like the bullshit triumphs that won't advance will be fixed.  About fucking time.
Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Fuck that 894 guy and fuck Bungie for not level gating IB

You can't really exclude the guy since the LL limit flavor text is a recommendation rather than a rule, and the IB bounties are a huge incentive to participate in spite of your LL.   He gets bonus progress if (huge IF) he kills someone of higher light AND it's four fucking pieces of Pinnacle gear if he clears all four bounties.

I definitely don't want the IB to be level gated because I am a bully and will always target lowlights on the other team that try to match up with me in the fool's errand of trying to earn bonus progress on their IB bounties at my expense. 

Last night, I got like five natural Double Downs from weapons fire alone from lowbies trying to push me while I was defending a zone.  It was beautifully obscene.  I've added like fifty more kills to the Crucible murder tracker on my Redrix since the start of the tournament.

The Grenade Launcher lowbie kills in this IB are not flowing as much as I'd like them too, but this is the first time in like eight months I've actually noticed forward progress on this stupid Mountaintop associated triumph.

The Colony FTW~!!!!

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am deeply amused that Bungie is only now increasing the drop rate of rare Black Armory bounties

With the Burden being the go to DPS companion to Divinity in all of the 980 content, I am sure there was lots of whining and wailing and gnashing of teeth about how hard it is to initially acquire the weapon.  

And then if you want the catalyst, you have to spend a billion years masterworking your fucking Chalice and then survive a Heroic Menagerie run.   I've almost made a racket out of "helping" other players during their Izanagi catalyst run in HM so that I can take shots at getting a Goldtusk re-roll.

Edited by J.T.

And it is the end of an era.  I have finally tracked down and smoked all of the Wandering Nightmares on the moon.

The WN for this week is Xortal, Sworn of Crota and here is a video from our homie, Esoterickk, showing his location:

I was able to solo him easily.  The Colony FTW, again~!!!!!!

He was a much easier fight than the Fallen Council.  You will need help with those assholes.

Edited by J.T.

I will 100% pick on the weak and am giddy when they are on the other team

That being said - it actively hurts the team they are put on.

It isn't as bad as say a person who drops out of comp but there are some similarities.

When max level is 970 - no one should be almost 100 points lower. I am not saying it should be gated at 950 but it should be at least 900.

Fuck the bonus they get - take 10 minutes doing the flash point and you will jump 30 LL just from shitty ass blues

EDIT - AND that is me giving them the benefit of the doubt. Most of those fuckers are purposefully doing it like you said to try and knock the bounties out in like 3 matches.

Fuck them

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will 100% pick on the weak and am giddy when they are on the other team

That being said - it actively hurts the team they are put on.

It isn't as bad as say a person who drops out of comp but there are some similarities.

When max level is 970 - no one should be almost 100 points lower. I am not saying it should be gated at 950 but it should be at least 900.

Fuck the bonus they get - take 10 minutes doing the flash point and you will jump 30 LL just from shitty ass blues

You aren't wrong but people are stupid and they don't really do a through analysis of the risk associated with the reward.  All they know is that there are four pieces of Pinnacle Gear at the end of the IB rainbow. 

They're not really smart about how many times they will get slaughtered before they see progress.  If they see any progress at all.  I've waded through enough Jotunn blasts fired at me by extreme lowbies and Iron Burden holders to know that Light definitely matters in the IB.

Also, people are assholes and don't really care about how being a lowbie will affect the rest of the team.

The IB is not like Survival where it's definitely possible to carry a 750 to a win.  I've helped do it a few times, but a dude on your team with shitty white and green gear and a crap Resilience score is a liability unless he's a PvP pro that's just trying to level up a new character.

Edited by J.T.

Only did one of each for Strikes, Gambit, and Crucible. the strike was for Bastion which I haven't tried out yet. Gambit was mostly just finishing up few bounties though the other team never even managed to summon their primeval. Crucible was my first IB this week. It was a win and one of those rare in the zone moments where I took the top spot of murderers.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

The IB is not like Survival where it's definitely possible to carry a 750 to a win.  I've helped do it a few times, but a dude on your team with shitty white and green gear and a crap Resilience score is a liability unless he's a PvP pro that's just trying to level up a new character.

Resilience doesn't really seem to come in play all that much for regular Crucible. Does it actually play a bigger part in IB?

• Like 1

Finished the Cooridors and got my Bastion on Friday so I didn't have to worry about fucking around with that this weekend.

Completed the last IB bounty a little while ago - got a decent enough spread on my pinnacle gear that purples are dropping at 961 now

Also finally finished the Gambit seasonal stuff. Thank God.

Will probably take a break the rest of the day (especially because of the Rumble) but I will focus on Comp tomorrow

• Like 2

So Crucible is always a source of annoyance and frustration, especially during late night/early morning like this. I have sometimes to even ponder if some of the players are cheating though I chalk that up to frustration more than anything else. For the first time I think someone might have been legit cheating a bit. Somehow how the top player on the opposing team had a mobility and recovery of 100. I don't think that is technically impossible with mods and particular stat rolls, but it didn't add up at all for his mobility when I was checking his armor. We still whooped his team's ass [4-1] so I can't complain much. I'm mostly just curious as to how the hell they pulled that off on console. 

• Like 1

It is a common load out for sweaty Crucible players - basically they max mobility and recovery and min Resilience 

I am assuming they were a Hunter because that is who it is "best" for (I use quotes because players can follow the meta but they need to know how to actually play to take full advantage)

Basically the mobility allows Hunters to jump through the roof so the "Slide, shotgun, jump back a 1000 feet" is the common strategy.

It doesn't really apply to Titan in PvP since we don't hop all over the fucking map

Also remember that some weapons - like MIDA - boost mobility so its not all just in armor

• Like 1