DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

10 hours ago, Rocco said:

Just started playing this game and I love it so far.  I have a question thought about weapons and armor though.  Should I be vaulting or dismantling weapons and armor when I have no room for them anymore?  

The board has a clan if you wish to join even though there are like three active members between the consoles.

I think the old DARPA clan leader is going to ask me to assume leadership but if I take over, I'm giving the inactive members the boot and starting a fresh recruit drive.  I've got some cool people on my Friends List who are clanless, so we may as well do shit together instead of wandering around aimlessly through the solar system.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

This past week, I put priority on infusing the gear I'm going to use during the upcoming IB, so I should be running at about 945.  I wanted to run Throne for eggs and bones, but It made sense to get prepped as I was running a bit low on materials.

Here's hoping that the maps are kind because I kinda put most of my eggs in the Jade Rabbit scout rifle kills basket.  Gotta get that RTK, dudes.

It will be an interesting IB since Roster Preview is no more, so it might be wise to LFG for a six stack if you're running solo.  I'm sure the big clans will be fielding teams made up of 950+ and you'll have no idea what you're up against until the lobby loads.

The LL disparity shouldn't be that bad this season now that 750 is the minimum cap and you won't have guys running around with less than 100 LL trying to compete with 700's, but getting matched up against a dedicated team of higher lights is still going to be problematic. 

It probably would've been cool for Bungie to leave safety on for this tournament alone to get maximum participation, but we all know that probably won't happen since the more recent bounty scheme rewards players for suicidal engagement of higher light enemies.

Edited by J.T.

Oh, and don't use Enhancement Cubes or whatever they're called to upgrade your Luna or Vex items like Dreambane armor and such. 

Collect the "currency" (Vex Mind Components, Phantasmal Shards, etc) and buy the weapon and armor quests from Ikora and the Cryptography Shrine and then run around doing whatever until you complete the quest and then either keep the item if it has better perks or infuse it into the gear you already have for 1K Glimmer a shot.

I did the one for Arc Logic auto rifle last night and got an Outlaw / Rampage roll so needless to say, I kept that one and sharded the other.

The exclusion to the rule is the Substitutional Alloy armor.  You're supposed to be able to infuse like items into themselves for a cost of only 1K Glimmer, but some of the SA armor pieces still require an Enhancement Cube even if you're infusing one piece of armor with the same kind.

I'd like to think it's a glitch, but I could believe it if it were another currency / materials sink.

Also, Ikora does not have armor quests for the Vex themed item pursuits so the only way to get upgrades for the Substitutional Alloy armor is through Season rewards or from chests in the Vex Incursion playlist.

TLDR: Don't horde the seasonal currency items.  Spend them and run the quests for gear upgrades and XP towards Season rewards.

Edited by J.T.

Almost forgot.   While I was out running vendor quests for materials yesterday during the holiday, I also completed the catalysts for Cerberus +1, Ace of Spades, and Izanagi's Burden.

Cerberus + and Ace of Spades catalysts were almost too easy.   Go to the moon when a Vex invasion is going on and you will have plenty of targets to mow down for progress.

The catalyst for the Burden was a little painful since it takes Special Ammo instead of Primary.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

TLDR: Don't horde the seasonal currency items.  Spend them and run the quests for gear upgrades and XP towards Season rewards.

You can only carry a certain number of the ones Ikora takes because I quickly hit the cap for them (I think it's 100)

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You can only carry a certain number of the ones Ikora takes because I quickly hit the cap for them (I think it's 100)

Yeah, don't wait to hit the cap before you spend the currency.  Just burn it off on quests as you collect more of it so that you don't cap out.

You can hold a max of 30 Phantasmal Fragments, 3 Phantasmal Cores, and 100 Vex Mind Fragments.

I keep getting drops of that green Vex currency but I haven't seen any vendors that accept it nor do I see where I am accumulating it in my inventory.

Edited by J.T.

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Really? I thought you were part of your DARPA clan or do you just switch between them?

Rippa re-joined me to the clan so that we could two man Throne and fully MW our Solstice armor.  I decided to stick around for a bit until I figure out my next move.

I still want to do the raids and don't really want to brave LFG every time I get the urge to hit up endgame no-matchmaking content.  So either I join another clan or form one of my own and recruit people.

It will probably be the latter since there are some cool people on my Friends List who are clanless and it might be cool to team up with them and get things done.  I'm good with players taking sabbaticals to take care of real life or play other shit, but I also expect clan peeps to be fairly active.

I knew DARPA was in trouble once folks started spending months at a time offline.

Edited by J.T.

Aha.   The Green / Uncommon Rarity currency items that drop from any Vex you destroy are for Ikora's Weekly Challenge called Spare Parts.. 

You can't buy anything with them per se, but you receive a Powerful Engram as your reward for collecting enough of them as you put down any Vex on any planet where they are active.. 

Higher difficulty enemies drop more items as you destroy them.  I've seen yellow bar High Priority Targets and Lost Sector Bosses on Nessus, Io, and Mercury and the Vex Overlords and Gate Lords on the moon drop as many as three at a time.

I know that they drop during strikes and normal PvE events.  Didn't notice whether or not they drop during Gambit or Gambit Prime if Vex are on the field.

I wish they would stop dropping once you complete the challenge, though, because it makes me assume that I should be accumulating them in my inventory when I'm not..

Edited by J.T.

Did a dozen or so IBs tonight. I'm about 2/3 through the SMG part of the armor quest. I still dislike being forced to do a long quest to even get IB armor though this time around its way the hell easier than it was last season. One nice thing is every quest step you complete they actually give you an IB version of the next type of weapon needed for the next step.

I think I will end up finishing the armor quest tomorrow if only to get it out of the way. At the very least they have ensure I will be doing a lot of IB this time if only for the pinnacle gear bounties.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Played in six matches.  Never left Earth's orbit.  Was lucky enough to get Widow's Court more often than not so that I could get in some scout rifle kills.  My average ER for the night was about 2.5 or so.  Even in the matches where I didn't get a lot of murders, I got caps and managed not to die a lot and hand easy points over to the other side.

I fucking hate Twilight Gap.   I'm never on a team that pushes and holds B for our side so that I don't have to move from my camping spot near A where I can just scout ping the living shit out of guys coming to cap our home zone. 

I'm always the one pushing B to keep it blue and if I'm doing that, I'm running and gunning with the Recluse.

Not helping RTK quest.

I also hate this fucking IB armor quest.   I want to continue to get scout rifle kills for the RTK quest while I have a light advantage and what is the new requirement in the second quest step?

PULSE RIFLE KILLS~!!!  Fuck my life...

Silver Lining:  In my wisdom I kept my Broadsword's power in pace with my Jade Rabbit, so I'm still about 945 LL with the alternate load-out.

As Eivion said, Shaxx was good enough to gift me a Claws of the Wolf for the PR kills part of the next quest step but again, that does not help me get scout rifle kills.

Most of the players running in the IB are either in the high 800s or low 900's so at 945 LL, I am still pretty close to the top of the food chain.

If you're going to do Eris's Weekly Challenge, do not forget to buy here Weekly Story Mission bounty.  The first step of the WC is to (GUESS WHAT~?) run the Weekly Story Mission.  The WS this week is Beyond.  I put my Dreambane Armor on out of habit, but you don't need it to run the mission this time around.  Also, I didn't get the ominous cutscene after completing the mission.  Not sure if that's normal or if I somehow skipped it by accident.

Also if you plan to do a lot of scrapping in the IB this week and you normally hit up Shaxx for PvP bounties before going off to kick ass, go and get the Treasure Chest bounty for completing Daily Crucible Bounties from the Emperor's Frame in the Tower.

If you're going to do all that running around, you may as well get credit for a bunch of shit all at once.

Finished up Nightmare Hunts this morning.  My Dreambane Armor is high enough light for me to run 920 difficulty hunts now, so we'll see how that goes.  I'm sure I'll end up on fireteams where I am the only guy that has weapons with the proper ammo mods for taking out Unstoppable and Barrier Champions.

Edited by J.T.

And Bungie must've heard me bitching the past few days because Roster Preview has been stealth fixed.

Before yesterday, I couldn't see the Roster load in lobby for any of the 6v6 Rotation playlists, but I had no issues with Clash, Control, or Classic Mix.

Edited by J.T.

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

And Bungie must've heard me bitching the past few days because Roster Preview has been stealth fixed.

Before yesterday, I couldn't see the Roster load in lobby for any of the 6v6 Rotation playlists, but I had no issues with Clash, Control, or Classic Mix.

Its not a bug - they purposely turned it off the season for "Quickplay"

They only turned it back on this week for IB (so like solo folks can try to avoid 6 stacks)

If I am reading correctly - it will go away again once IB is gone

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Its not a bug - they purposely turned it off the season for "Quickplay"

They only turned it back on this week for IB (so like solo folks can try to avoid 6 stacks)

If I am reading correctly - it will go away again once IB is gone

That is bullshit.  It should always be on for QP or anything 6v6 for that matter.

What makes them think that matching up against six stacks in QP is more acceptable than the IB?

I'd rather have people bounce out of the lobby than quit early once the match has started.

I don't mind it being turned on for Freelance Glory because it's 3v3 and no one is on a dedicated fireteam and it's fine for Rumble because it's every man for himself and I am confident in my douchebag load-out.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That is bullshit.  It should always be on for QP or anything 6v6 for that matter.

What makes them think that matching up against six stacks in QP is more acceptable than the IB?

I'd rather have people bounce out of the lobby than quit early once the match has started.

I don't mind it being turned on for Freelance Glory because it's 3v3 and no one is on a dedicated fireteam and it's fine for Rumble because it's every man for himself and I am confident in my douchebag load-out.

That is basically the argument (that I am reading)

Bungie did it to stop people backing out before the match started. Partly because since a match won't start until a lobby is full - matchmaking was taking too long. But in response - folks are now quitting after the match starts.

The tangential argument off of that is that Quickplay and Classic Mix are the "casual" PvP mode and folks and if you are so concerned with facing stacks and checking loadouts - then you really should be playing comp (or at least Rumble). But this is usually the argument being had by folks who only play PvP games (say like COD)

I mean just the two of us alone have different philosophies. I will play almost anyone just to get my dailies/weeklies/bounties/quests done. You constantly check and also try to avoid playing at certain times (to avoid certain international players/connections)

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Bungie did it to stop people backing out before the match started. Partly because since a match won't start until a lobby is full - matchmaking was taking too long. But in response - folks are now quitting after the match starts.

IMO, that is much worse than waiting for the lobby to fill.  Then again, I am patient and don't have ADD.

The players that were going to leave will leave anyway, so let them bounce in the lobby so it doesn't affect the match play.

The tangential argument off of that is that Quickplay and Classic Mix are the "casual" PvP mode and folks and if you are so concerned with facing stacks and checking loadouts - then you really should be playing comp (or at least Rumble). But this is usually the argument being had by folks who only play PvP games (say like COD)

That's not necessarily true.  I enjoy D2 PvP, but I also know that I am no where near good enough to hang with Mythic to Legend level PvP players.  I can hold my own in Rumble and Glory matches when it is required of me, but I am further behind on the bell curve than the average player that actually prefers being in those playlists.

As sweaty as I am, I still consider myself to be a "casual."  

Running up against stacks in QP who are loaded for bear or that one guy with the meta dickbar PvP load out like Dust Rock Blues / Not Forgotten /  Truth is not fun no matter what your skill level is so Roster PvP should always be on for any 6v6 activity.

To be fair,  I am sure it's not fun running up against me and my load-out but again, I am a casual sweat that usually finishes respectfully around the middle of the board..   A hardcore Legend level Comp sweat running my usual PvP load-out would always be the top killer..

As I said before, I'd rather have those intimidated by load-outs leave the lobby rather than jeopardize the match by quitting before the shooting starts.

I mean just the two of us alone have different philosophies. I will play almost anyone just to get my dailies/weeklies/bounties/quests done. You constantly check and also try to avoid playing at certain times (to avoid certain international players/connections)

What can I say?  As a by-product of playing so much Competitive, I've gotten to the point where I play to win matches.  Win steaks matter, especially when it comes to Glory.

If I'm putting dudes in the dirt on the regular, bounties and quests and shit will take care of themselves.

Therefore, I like to make sure my chances of actually getting a victory are decent and I try to level the playing field as much as I can.  If the odds are in my favor like they are during IB matches where I am one of the highest light players, then so much the better.

In addition, I think I've become a slightly better PvP player since grinding Comp for the Recluse to the point where I can better discern what is actually cheating and what is just me making crappy decisions.  I am a bit smarter about my engagements than I used to, but that doesn't mean I don't have the odd horrible match where I can't do anything right.

Edited by J.T.

To me - the time it takes to get into finally get into a match (if constantly backing out) is much longer than just going into a match and seeing where the chips may fall.

There is no greater feeling than solo queuing and beating a 6 stack

Now that being said - I have found PvP so far in Shadowkeep to be... easier for a lack of a better word.

And I don't think I am running up against people new to Destiny. Just seem to be having a lot more wins and way higher K/D than normal

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

To me - the time it takes to get into finally get into a match (if constantly backing out) is much longer than just going into a match and seeing where the chips may fall.

There is no greater feeling than solo queuing and beating a 6 stack

Oh, I love banging knuckles against six stacks and I have been on plenty of solo blueberry teams that have smashed tryhard squads right in the mouth.  If I see a six stack in the queue and they're not running anything particularly scary, I usually just let it ride because I believe that I am just as capable as they are of playing well and winning the match.

Whether or not my blueberries plan on being as filthy as I will be is the question that needs a good answer.

Few things feel better than getting a By The Skin Of Your Teeth medal when your raggedy team of solo queues steals an overtime win from a clan team or a Crushed Them medal when your side just goes apeshit and totally mercs a dedicated team of randos.

However, the nature of PvP pinnacle weapon meta continues to fuck things up despite the nerfs.

A hardcore six stack determined to win and running tight load-outs will usually slaughter your rando squad if you're running with bounty chasers rather than guys who want to win the match..  

Your team is playing for shits and grins and the other team is playing to wipe the floor with you and your team of well meaning / poor intention blueberries.  

The other team will play the objectives and watch each other's backs while half the guys on your team can barely be counted on to cover you while you play objectives. 

If you're in a Control match and your passive / aggressive team needs to cap B, it won't get capped if you don't lead the charge and that's how you get team shot by the other side.   If you were counting on your teammates to help you charge that hill, you hoped in vain.

It's better to have Roster Preview and see these really serious mother fuckers coming from a mile away and avoid a gaming experience you know you will absolutely hate. 

Give yourself an even break.

I also hate passive aggressive play in Gambit and Gambit Prime.  Dudes who hog heavy drops should be invading and killing enemy mote holders.  Period.  They shouldn't wait for someone else to assume that role.

When my team gets two or three Large Blockers dropped on us while our Invasion Portal is active because the purple brick hoarding douche didn't go to the other side to deny motes, it makes me want to smash my console.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Now that being said - I have found PvP so far in Shadowkeep to be... easier for a lack of a better word.

And I don't think I am running up against people new to Destiny. Just seem to be having a lot more wins and way higher K/D than normal

I like to win and I don't really care about E/R all that much, contrary to popular belief.  ER is a good sign that I am not just handing over free points to the other team but if I am not playing the match objective, having a high ER and a fabulous body count does not help my team.

For example, if I have a shitty ER in a Countdown match but I saved rounds for my team with smart play and good decisions in route to a victory, then I consider that to be a good match.  0.60 ER, two diffusions, three successful detonations, and an active two or three match Glory win streak?  I'll take that.

If I have a high kill / low cap Control match and my team won, then I did my job and kept enemy teams from capping zones. 

If I have a high kill / low cap Control match in a loss, then I was probably just fucking around trying to get headshots for a bounty or something.

If I am playing Supremacy and am not doing my best to secure enemy AND allied crests when the opportunity presents itself, I am an idiot.  Nothing is more infuriating than to play Supremacy and see players on your team run past two blue crests on their way to pick up one red crest.

Then they get shot and the enemy player is there to secure three fucking blue crests for the price of one and he also denies my team a point by securing a red crest.  It's at those moments when I just scream at the television set.

Edited by J.T.

I think you are thinking everyone is playing PvP the same way you are - which they aren't

Especially with so many quests tied into it.

Case in point anytime anything in Gambit involves killing invaders/opposing team (which actually really should be me at the moment. I need a couple of "play like a dick" matches to finish this stupid quest)

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think you are thinking everyone is playing PvP the same way you are - which they aren't

Especially with so many quests tied into it.

Case in point anytime anything in Gambit involves killing invaders/opposing team (which actually really should be me at the moment. I need a couple of "play like a dick" matches to finish this stupid quest).

On the contrary, I fully understand that not everyone plays the same way I do, but things that sabotage or directly disrupt match play really suck and I'd rather that someone jet from the lobby rather than leave their team short handed during an active game, especially in D2 Crucible play where team shooting wins matches.

Even I have had those moments where I have to quit early to walk the dog or talk to my daughter on the phone or something, but that is just life being life.

I'm not botting or deliberately going inactive to ride the event out at the expense of my team and I expect other players not to do it as well.  For those who do, they get reported, blocked, or both depending on the severity of the offense aka how badly they piss me off.

As far as quests go, I can play to win and still complete quests and bounties.  Ironically enough, whenever I try to play to meet bounty requirements like precision final blows, they NEVER come easily.

I find it best just to run my hustle and as you said, let the chips fall where they may.   Eventually I will tick off a headshot requirement or final blows requirement or whatever and that will come along on its own on the path to helping my team secure victory.

And if playing to get wins means that I'm playing like a dick, then I guess I always play like a dick.  Tokens and XP will always come along in the course of playing the game, but win streaks won't.

Edited by J.T.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

PULSE RIFLE KILLS~!!!  Fuck my life...

Bad Juju worked well enough for me.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Finished up Nightmare Hunts this morning.  My Dreambane Armor is high enough light for me to run 920 difficulty hunts now, so we'll see how that goes.  I'm sure I'll end up on fireteams where I am the only guy that has weapons with the proper ammo mods for taking out Unstoppable and Barrier Champions.

The only annoying thing in Nightmare Hunts are the Unstoppable Ogres. I've yet to really need my Unstoppable HCs because those fuckers don't even feel the need to put up those shields like Barrier and Overload Champions. 

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

If you're in a Control match and your passive / aggressive team needs to cap B, it won't get capped if you don't lead the charge and that's how you get team shot by the other side.   If you were counting on your teammates to help you charge that hill, you hoped in vain.

Hoping in vain is something that happens far too often to me in Crucible. I've had teammates who could have saved me and themselves by just turning the fuck around to help with the guy who eventually kills us both.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I also hate passive aggressive play in Gambit and Gambit Prime.  Dudes who hog heavy drops should be invading and killing enemy mote holders.  Period.  They shouldn't wait for someone else to assume that role.

When my team gets two or three Large Blockers dropped on us while our Invasion Portal is active because the purple brick hoarding douche didn't go to the other side to deny motes, it makes me want to smash my console.

This is why I generally avoid taking heavy ammo outside of the Primeval fights. Just doesn't seem sensible if you aren't invading. 

EDIT: Nothing helps getting over a loss quite like an overwhelming force/merc win.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Bad Juju worked well enough for me.

I have a Redrix's Broadsword so I'm not worried about getting PR kills in the IB where I'm probably going to be one of the highest LL players in the match.

I'll just keep shootin' 'til it's done, but my focus will be on getting the win.

The only annoying thing in Nightmare Hunts are the Unstoppable Ogres. I've yet to really need my Unstoppable HCs because those fuckers don't even feel the need to put up those shields like Barrier and Overload Champions. 

Oh, don't even get me started.  I was in an Ordeal Nightfall last week where I was the only player with Unstoppable Rounds on my Loud Lullaby HC and I also had Unstoppable Melee on my Dreambane Chest armor. 

The other team wasn't prepared and we wiped like five times in a row to the Unstoppable Ogre on the bridge at the very beginning of the Scarlet Keep strike because the other players didn't have the mods to stun him and he'd OHK them and me shortly thereafter.

It was awful. 

Hoping in vain is something that happens far too often to me in Crucible. I've had teammates who could have saved me and themselves by just turning the fuck around to help with the guy who eventually kills us both.

I usually meet my maker when I am in a Control match trying to push and cap a zone.  I start off with three or four players moving with me and I am under the foolish assumption that they're coming to assist..

Then suddenly no one is around to help me cap once I start engaging the other team.'

I hate that shit.

This is why I dread playing Control matches and the IB especially.   Everything hinges on the people on your team playing the objectives. 

Playing for the sake of bounty or quest completion just makes it worse because you'll be trying to tick off that capture requirement or something and failing miserably because no one is backing you up.  

If your team is playing to win the match, you'll get the caps and whatever else you need for your bounties and quests.

This is why I generally avoid taking heavy ammo outside of the Primeval fights. Just doesn't seem sensible if you aren't invading. 

I never use the Heavy Drops if I don't plan on invading aka if I am wearing task specific armor in Gambit Prime that is not red.  I save the purple for the guy going to the other side to make a mess.

If Heavy drops from enemies that's perfectly fine, but winning GP matches depends on your team's ability to get rid of invaders and your own invader's ability to keep you in the match so I don't screw that up by grabbing dedicated heavy drops when I don't plan on invading.

That's even more important now that there are weapons available like Truth and Deathbringer that can splash entre Gambit teams in no time flat.  Don't cut your own team's throat by keeping your invader from going in with full heavy.

Edited by J.T.