DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Honestly - at this point, I would rather Bungie develop some sort of subscription model as opposed to making me because feel like I am paying the cost of new game every year

Making is a Free-To-Play MMO is kinda dumb, TBH.  I feel like I am being penalized for remaining a loyal customers.  It's not exactly FTP since I have to pay for a copy of the game AND participating in the game requires internet access AND a Gold membership for multiplayer.

I played Pirates 101 Free-To-Play with my daughter for a bit and I felt like I eventually had to pay for Premium Content in order for us to truly get the full experience.   Downloading a copy of the game cost me zero, but you can't venture out of the newbie zone or purchase weapon or ship upgrades unless you pay for Premium Content.

I am used to going where I want to go and doing anything I want to do in Destiny so far.  Even the stuff I haven't done, I still have the opportunity to do thanks to me paying for DLC and Season Passes.

There's no way I'd go FTP because half of the stuff I can do now will probably be locked.

I do like the idea of Battle Pass, though.  Most people hate Play-To-Win mechanics, but only if it is corporately run and that's a bit hypocritical since that is exactly what the Account Recovery / Paid Carry gig economy is all about.  And that's not even putting scammers into the equation.

If I have to indulge corporate greed in order to squash the gig economy bullshit I've experienced in PvP with professional players running with stacked teams and pub stomping casuals like myself, then that's probably a good thing.

Hell, the gig economy has even spread to PvE as Account Recovery guys are taking advantage of people's piss poor platforming skills (ahem) and offering to complete Zero Hour for you. 

I won't lie.  I'm highly tempted to spend the cash it might take for someone else to get my Outbreak for me but on the same token, you're still inviting trouble by giving someone else free access to your account.  Most of the guys doing account recovery work are probably honest, otherwise they couldn't continue to make money but you only need to put your account in the hands of one bad apple to completely ruin your shit.

Edited by J.T.

I am so proud of one of my IB teams!  I was in a match with five randos and we took on an enemy team that had a dedicated four stack from some South American clan.. 

We were REALLY close to getting mercied in the first two minutes but we battled back and won.  119 - 117! 

Or should I say that I carried the team to victory with my 21 kills, 1.93 ER, and three Power Play kills thanks to Truth being the douchiest of douche weapons.... 

Our match was on Wormhaven and I fired a rocket down one of the long hallways at a target.  The poor bastard retreated and the fucking rocket just followed the guy, hooked a right at corner, and I ended up getting two kills for the price of one. 

Truth is such an unfair weapon.  I know that locking down heavy is supposed to change the complexion of the game, but not like THAT~!  If you've got Truth in PvP, that's three nearly guaranteed kills so long as you don't drop the soap.

I was totally shocked that we didn't have any quitters on my side despite the huge early deficit.  Everyone kept fighting and that's about all you can ask.

Mid match it was like a switch flipped on and everyone on my team said to themselves, "Hey.  If we hold two zones, we score more points!"  Duh!

You can tell when the other team is getting frustrated when Pinnacle Weapons start coming out of nowhere.   I traded kills with this one guy from the South American who was using Trust as his main weapon. 

After beating him in three straight 1v1s after that since he could not outgun my Broadsword with Desperado procced, he finds me later on in the match and smokes me out of nowhere with a Luna's Howl.

Oh, and yeah.  More armor and the IB slug thrower shotty, no grenade launcher.

I tested out the slug thrower while chasing precision shots on Titan for one of my Weaponsmith bounties  and I reminded myself that I absolutely suck with those weapons.  Probably why I rarely ever use the Chaperone.  One day I will have to practice and get good with that gun.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I checked last night and I am currently at 1524 Glory..  The bump after next Tuesday's hard reset should put me a smidge over 1700. 

If I can somehow get to 1900 before the following hard reset, the Recluse will be mine (2100 Glory for Fabled I) after the subsequent Glory bump for competing in at least three matches but I will be about 100 points shy of the Revoker so I'll have to keep fighting a bit more for the double dip.

With any luck, one of these Comp wins will come with a MIDA catalyst drop.

Edited by J.T.

Got a Swarm of the Raven with Spike Grenades / Auto-Loading Holster / Rampage / Blast Radius MW from the IB.

I would've preferred Rangefinder instead of ALH and Velocity MW instead of Blast Radius, but the roll I got will get the job done on Void Singe week.

I think I am going to LFG sponsor some Heroic Menagerie this week and go on a sword grinding run.  I think it's time I got a Goldtusk.  Don't really give a shit about going flawless; I just want my fucking Quickfang 2.0 ninja blade.

I think if I complete a HM run, I will automatically get the Izanagi's Burden catalyst since my Chalice is perfected, so there's additional incentive.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it was a glitch, but the Reckoning was set to only have Solar Singe and Heavyweight on Saturday.  My team noticed and attempted to get the Old Fashioned Way triumph for doing the Bridge of Folly run with weapons only, but the fucking Ogres and Minos were not having it.  The AoE boops for those fucking enemies is still ridiculous.

We made two tries and wiped both times, so we just went with the usual Supers tactics just to get the clears.  

I've seen some YouTube videos where some teams used a Jotunn glitch to make the run, but I hate using glitches and cheats.

Edited by J.T.

33 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Oh, and I'm not sure if it was a glitch, but the Reckoning was set to only have Solar Singe and Heavyweight on Saturday.  My team noticed and attempted to get the Old Fashioned Way triumph for doing the Bridge of Folly run with weapons only, but the fucking Ogres and Minos were not having it.  The AoE boops for those fucking enemies is still ridiculous.

Not a glitch.

They changed Reckoning to no longer have "negative" modifiers

Let me see if I can find the blurb

EDIT

Here we go

“Starting on September 17, all negative modifiers will be removed from Reckoning. This activity will continue to feature a weekly singe, with a daily rotation of Brawler, Grenadier, and Heavyweight. Our goal in this change is to improve the replay-ability of Reckoning, so players will feel more inclined to hop in to matchmaking for some sweet loot. This should also help to address some feedback items from players that specific modifiers could feel too punishing (We’re looking at you, Blackout Darkblades).”

They also reduced enemy health and damage in Reckoning

Taking out the negative modifier makes Reckoning a bit less frustrating, but the yellow bar boop cheese on the Bridge is still bullshit.

I have no idea why it took them this long to figure that shit out about the negative modifier.  Supports my theory that they do not test their own shit.   Even an idiot knows what will happen on Darkblade week when Blackout is the daily bad stip.

Edited by J.T.

A note I saw buried at the end of this weeks TWIB

When Shadowkeep comes out - if you haven't finished whatever campaign you are currently on... your progress will be reset to the beginning.

This is because of New Light.

I am assuming they mean just the main campaign for each piece (Red War, Curse of Osiris, Warmind, and Forsaken)

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

A note I saw buried at the end of this weeks TWIB

When Shadowkeep comes out - if you haven't finished whatever campaign you are currently on... your progress will be reset to the beginning.

This is because of New Light.

I am assuming they mean just the main campaign for each piece (Red War, Curse of Osiris, Warmind, and Forsaken)

Doesn't really affect me since my Hunter is all caught up and both my Warlock and Titan haven't run Warmind yet, nor are they likely to.

The thing that concerns me is that IIRC Glory resets back to Guardian I at the start of the new season, so I definitely need to make a move on the Recluse quest before my progress so far is shot to shit and I've got two weeks to make it happen.

Easier said than done when you're talking about Comp play.

Edited by J.T.

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So uhm, Black Armory and Izanagi's Burden doesn't count as a campaign, right?

I think that just counts for content with story missions.

I don't think they'd nuke the progress to any instance driven content such as forge ignitions or pinnacle / exotic weapon quests.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The exception to the rule would be the PvP Pinnacle Weapon quests that require you to reach a certain Glory rank since IIRC Glory and Valor are both set back to Guardian I at the beginning of each season.

If you were working on Redrix's Broadsword and haven't gotten five Valor rollovers yet, your progress for that particular quest step would be reset at the start of the next season.

So yeah, I've got to get to 2100 Glory before the season ends in two weeks if I don't want to grind Comp for the Recluse quest all over again.

I should be done with the Revoker by then, provided that I win a match or two between now and the start of the new season.

Edited by J.T.

So why is D1 being taken offline as well?

Finished the solar kills and Rumble part of Luna's Howl so now I'm back to HC kills 2 Electric Boogaloo. That precision part is going to make this such a pain in the ass. I'll probably stick to Ace since I seem to get precision kills with it almost on accident sometimes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

They hinted at this but here is it official.

So you gotta finish your stuff by the end of Sunday

Yep.  I saw that, so I got my ass in gear and went all in on the Fabled Glory chase.  The Item Recovery folks were offering End Of Season specials and the Crucible was flooded with bots and cheaters.  The proposed changes to Comp to kill the Win Trading economy cannot come soon enough.

If you checked the Activity Feed, you'll note from my screenshots that I was successful and am now the proud new owner of the Revoker and the Recluse.

The night started off pretty harshly as my teams got DDoSed in two straight matches by Glory Boosters.  Not only did I get a fucking Comp suspension for "quitting" two matches that I actually got booted from, (even worse) I was also charged with a pair of losses. 

150 Glory up in smoke.  I was livid.  Words cannot describe the rage...

Bungie really needs to fucking fix that bullshit.  Cheaters are a far worse problem than quitters.

I rage quit D2 for a bit after that horror and tried to play B3, but then I rage quit B3 after running into dozens of path and spawn bugs while trying to finish The Family Jewel mission.  At least I know Moze's full name but don't ask me to repeat it because it's ridiculously long.

So then I went back to playing D2 and hooked up with a Twitch streamer who was broadcasting Glory carries.   I am happy to say that I didn't need to be carried all that much, but we were up against some really sweaty dudes that I probably would've lost to if I didn't have skilled help on my side.. 

We fucking lost a heartbearker Countdown match when I was at 2046 Glory, but we pulled together two more wins (a tight Control match and a Clash match where we pub stomped four randos) and I saw the completion of my Revoker quest right as I hit 2116.

FABLED GLORY~! and finally time to go to bed at 12:20 EDT in the morning..

I nearly lost my shit when I saw that the quest did not complete, but I was tired and it finally dawned on me that I needed to acknowledge completion of the Stuff of Myths triumph before the Recluse quest bounty would kick over.  YAY~!  THE RECLUSE IS MINE~!  DEATH TO ALL WHO OPPOSE ME~!!

I also had no idea that at some point during the Season where the Recluse was introduced, I'd somehow gotten the ornament for the Recluse so in celebration I burned five bucks to get the Silver to buy the Revoker ornament form Tess.

Naturally, both guns look absolutely hideous if you put any kind of PvP shader on them while the ornaments are on. 

Needless to say, I haven't taken the Revoker or the Recluse into the Crucible yet because I am all PvPed out right now.  I'll still play a little Gambit Prime this week to farm weapons, but my vision quest for this season is done so I will be getting in a lot of Borderlands 3 in over the next few days.. 

I'll knock out the weekly Weaponsmith and Gambit bounties, but I don't really give a shit about the Menagerie or the Goldtusk sword grind right now since I am pretty burned out on D2 after the Recluse grind.

I'll probably have to re-learn the controller schema for Hitman since I am like a month out of practice.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

On second thought, I MAY play some Quickplay on Sunday evening after I get my kid back to the ex's.  I would like to get some PvP notches on my new guns so that the Crucible kill trackers don't read zero anymore.

The Crucible kill tracker on my Redrix's Broadsword has close to 800 murders logged.

Edited by J.T.

Congrats on finishing up the Recluse and Revoker quests. There is no way in hell I could finish up Recluse w/o miraculously becoming a Comp god so that one is kind of dead for me this season. I'm really hoping changes coming in Shadowkeep will help me next season.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Congrats on finishing up the Recluse and Revoker quests. There is no way in hell I could finish up Recluse w/o miraculously becoming a Comp god so that one is kind of dead for me this season.

Oh, I have my moments of sweat, but I am no PvP god to be sure.

Silly as it may sound, the key is patience.   As long as you are playing three matches a week and finish ahead in Glory than you did when you started, you're good.  

You don't have to win five matches in a row to benefit from a max win streak, if you manage to string together five consecutive wins between two weeks, you're still GTG.  Just remember that you'd still have to play a sixth match in that 2 win week to get in your three matches.

Like I said yesterday, the hitch for me was that Glory and Valor both reset to zero at the beginning of the next season, so I had to make a move on the Recluse during the week in order to finish what I said out to do.  I would've still gotten a Glory bump for this week's matches but if I'd stopped shy of Fabled, my 200-ish Glory point bump would've been counted towards Guardian I rank. 

It wouldn't have put me over the Fabled I bonus.

I still would've collected on the Revoker though since that quest credits cumulative Glory points and isn't tied to Comp rank.

I will most likely try my hand at the Luna's Howl quest once the new changes to Comp roll around and there are Singles queues and Team queues to compete in.  It should probably reduce the number of Win Traders out there, but it doesn't really address the problem of lag cheaters.

28 minutes ago, Eivion said:

What is the lag cheat? How do people manage to cheat on consoles?

Unlike most MMOs that use dedicated servers, most of the Destiny PvP is peer-to-peer so it is possible to manipulate lag to your favor via use of a lag switch provided that you know for certain that you're the one running as the host.

Mind you, if you experience lag in a game, most of the time it's not cheating; it's Bungie's pathetically lousy Matchmaking algorithm putting you up against some assholes from Columbia or the Ukraine and you have to cope with their Third World bandwidth.

However there is software that players use to tag IPs so that they know in advance who they're being matchmade with. 

That's how dudes set up Glory boosting kill lobbies.  While they're going into a match, the host DDoSs (Direct Denial Of Service) the other players so that they never get past the lobby and voila, the Boost team wins by forfeit.

I'm not terribly sure if it is illegal per se even though it most certainly violates the Destiny and Xbox CoC and also automatically voids the warranty of your console.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Unlike most MMOs that use dedicated servers, most of the Destiny PvP is peer-to-peer so it is possible to manipulate lag to your favor via use of a lag switch provided that you know for certain that you're the one running as the host.

Mind you, if you experience lag in a game, most of the time it's not cheating; it's Bungie's pathetically lousy Matchmaking algorithm putting you up against some assholes from Columbia or the Ukraine and you have to cope with their Third World bandwidth.

However there is software that players use to tag IPs so that they know in advance who they're being matchmade with. 

That's how dudes set up Glory boosting kill lobbies.  While they're going into a match, the host DDoSs (Direct Denial Of Service) the other players so that they never get past the lobby and voila, the Boost team wins by forfeit.

I'm not terribly sure if it is illegal per se even though it most certainly violates the Destiny and Xbox CoC and also automatically voids the warranty of your console.

Ah, this explains why a couple of times in the past few months my teams have managed to win Crucible and Gambit via forfeit. It kind of annoyed me then. Its especially annoys me now knowing that it was the fault of some asshole on my team.

On the other hand it is nice to know that the occasional in game lag I experience is just Bungie sucking opposed to guys purposely cheating. 

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Ah, this explains why a couple of times in the past few months my teams have managed to win Crucible and Gambit via forfeit. It kind of annoyed me then. Its especially annoys me now knowing that it was the fault of some asshole on my team.

On the other hand it is nice to know that the occasional in game lag I experience is just Bungie sucking opposed to guys purposely cheating. 

Yeah, cheating happens but analytics say that it's not as rampant as some players would lead you to believe.

99.99% of the time it's shit internet and crappy matchmaking.   That's why I tend not to play normal Crucible outside of US peak time (6PM EDT to around 11PM PDT) since crappy Bungie matchmaking will just pair you up with the largest active player lobby anywhere in the world....

.... literally.....

Play too early and you've got horrible European blueberries to contend with.  Play too late and you're up against some death squad from New Zealand or South Korea..

On the weekends it's much easier to find players in your time zone at all hours of the day since every nerd with no social life has forfeited sunlight and proper food to zerg all of the available raids in one day.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1