DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

And I definitely play with idiots for the most part. There is almost always a run the hell away mentality my teammates have even when they don't have any motes to protect or say have less than five compared to my or someone else's 10-15. If I have few motes I go after the invader. Its honestly kind of annoying since I mainly play the reaper role.

I can't really blame them.   The way Supers and Overshields used to be and arguably are now, they weren't designed to be challenged like they were in D1 so the conditioned response for most people when it comes to Supers or Overshields is to flee.

Hiding or running from Invaders usually worked if the Invader didn't have a rocket launcher with a tracking module but now that Truth is back, that's all changed.  

Thankfully, defenders also have access to Truth and since Malfeasance does extra damage to Invaders, the combination of the two makes it more viable for defenders to challenge Invaders when they attack.  I tend not to waste my Supers on Invaders or Defenders unless it's Sudden Death, so using a Super only to smersh an Invader in a normal round is a no go.  Save it for the Primeval.

A good sniper rifle can also brain an Invader with one bullet, provided that you're not a coward and aggressively scan the area for his aura.

You can now count me among the believers in the destructive power of the Swarm of the Raven.

Mine doesn't even have all that great of a roll, but two of us in my Reckoning fireteam were armed with Swarms and we pretty much melted the Visage of Oryx on our first run almost without the aid of Wells or anything.  

The second and third runs were even faster.  I and the other Hunter would use our tethers, Titan would drop his Rally Barricade, Warlock popped a Well and we'd almost instantly melt the Visage with Grenades and Rockets.

I didn't get anything exceptionally good.  Only a pair of Notorious Reaper gauntlets with a much better roll than the ones I had.

The guys I ran Comp with on Monday have been either playing Apex or Borderlands 2 in prep for B3, so I am guessing that we're done playing PvP this week and hopefully we'll get back together after reset next Tuesday for another Comp run.  

The post reset Glory bump should put me a smidge over Heroic II, so I need to keep the win streaks going and trying to do that as a solo is asking for trouble.

This Recluse run is a pain in the ass but as long as I keep quitting when I am ahead and don't have a ridiculously bad losing streak, I will be GTG.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Didn't do much last night. Managed a strike & two games of Comp, one a loss, the other a solid victory. It was probably my best use of Last Word so far. The DVDVR clan banner has finally leveled up.

It's cool to see that regardless of the console, everyone's Clan XP contributes to the banner!  I am happy that we finally have two whole clan perks to benefit from!

You should try to get in a third Comp match since you lose Glory if you don't compete in at least three matches per week.  

34 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It's cool to see that regardless of the console, everyone's Clan XP contributes to the banner!  I am happy that we finally have two whole clan perks to benefit from!

You should try to get in a third Comp match since you lose Glory if you don't compete in at least three matches per week.  

That was probably my 4th comp match this week so I'm good. I usually average 5-6 a week. How many just depends on how much time I have and what else I might be focused on ingame or elsewhere (I play FO76, have 5*GP matches from Stardom to get though, and still need to finish up the 1-3 G1 Climax episodes from AXS).

• Like 1

It's funny how having something else to do (in this case Borderlands) has killed my desire to just do the busy work of Destiny right now

So Shadowkeep is coming out at the perfect time in regards to keeping me playing

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It's funny how having something else to do (in this case Borderlands) has killed my desire to just do the busy work of Destiny right now

So Shadowkeep is coming out at the perfect time in regards to keeping me playing

Speaking of which, I am about to bounce and go get my copy of Borderlands.   I'll eat a late lunch during the install and will hopefully be shooting dudes around 4PM or so.

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I can understand that. This is the least I have been doing in Destiny 2 in a while now. The biggest reason I tend to opt for it right now is because anything else I play I know I will spend more time than intended on while I can otherwise knock out a quick mission or two with it.

I will probably do what I did when I had ME3 and GTA V Online at the same time

Dedicate one specific day a week for each game and then play whatever I feel like on the weekend

But again the biggest challenge for me will be I lose the weekend that Shadowkeep comes out because I have family in town so I know I will feel behind

IB and Shattered Throne are coming up this week.  I will probably play IB long enough to grind the bounties and see if I can get a Swarm with a better roll.

I should probably run Throne and claim the leftover lore items I'm missing, but it's not a pressing priority since I am having a lot of fun playing B3 and it further dissuades me from trying to get into a Last Wish raid group. 

Zero Hour, the raids, and the MMXIX can all eat a bag of dicks right now.  The activities I need to clear in order to get the seal all seem to be about as fun poking as myself in the eye with a sharp stick so why frustrate myself with that when B3 is right here and it's actually enjoyable?

One day I will nick all of the lore and clear Last Wish so that can double dip on the Chronicler / Cursebreaker triumph seals,but getting that shit done before MMXIX concludes seems unlikely so I am not going to worry about it. 

At some point next week, I also need to play in at least 3 Comp matches.  Hopefully I don't lose all three and reverse course on my Recluse progress.   If my teams have a good run I will stay true to the "play when you're hot / quit while you're ahead" rule, and only bounce if it feels like we're starting to backpedal.

Edited by J.T.

I really hate when its Buff/Nurf time since folks sure love to talk about maths that 95% of the player base doesn't care about

But good lord the yelling about rank and file enemies losing the headshot damage bonus is making me giggle

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I really hate when its Buff/Nurf time since folks sure love to talk about maths that 95% of the player base doesn't care about

I hate Buff / Nerf time because it's usually all about assholes (usually warlock mains these days) complaining about the Crucible and not understanding that whatever happens in PvP will also affect PvE.

This is how classes get nerfed to the ground to the point where they're practically useless in the endgame or how whole categories of weapons become totally unusable like the wonderful Hand Cannon nerf in D2 that came about after whiners complained about the crit damage from Exotic HC's and the HC nerf trickled down to make all HC's garbage.

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

But good lord the yelling about rank and file enemies losing the headshot damage bonus is making me giggle

I have seen lowbies hunting around Nessus get brained by the Fallen Vandal snipers around Exodus Down. 

Wire Rifle crits are not to be underestimated, especially if you are running a Strike against the Fallen and fucking Arc Singe is active.

PvE enemy headshot damage becomes a real thing if the LL challenge rank is close to your own light.

Edited by J.T.

These haven't happened yet - they are in the Sandbox and will be taking place when Shadowkeep drops

Mainly its a lot of whining WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN UNTIL SHADOWKEEP GETS HERE! WAAAAAAA!!!!

Just now, RIPPA said:

Mainly its a lot of whining WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN UNTIL SHADOWKEEP GETS HERE! WAAAAAAA!!!!

Yeah, I hate that.   Uh, no one will know until Shadowkeep gets here, privileged assholes.  You'll find out along with the rest of us.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

This is how classes get nerfed to the ground to the point where they're practically useless in the endgame or how whole categories of weapons become totally unusable like the wonderful Hand Cannon nerf in D2 that came about after whiners complained about the crit damage from Exotic HC's and the HC nerf trickled down to make all HC's garbage.

Is this why only Sunshot and Ace of Spades are worth a damn in regular PvE (mostly just rank and file)?

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:
Is this why only Sunshot and Ace of Spades are worth a damn in regular PvE (mostly just rank and file)?

HC's actually received a stealth buff after the nerf because the nerf went too far. 

That's why Trust, Austringer, and Service Revolver are so fucking lethal right now in PvE and PvP and also why you see so many Titans rolling with HCs now.  

The TTK / Range for a Service Revolver with Rangefinder / Kill Clip is almost comparable to a fucking Luna's Howl.  That's absurd for a gun that you can get just by turning in Vanguard tokens.

Even the Probina-D, Better Devils, and the Black Amory version of the Bad News can get it done in PvE and PvP as long as they both have at least one damage buff perk but you're still going to get outlasted at ranges past medium to guys with the Forsaken archetype pulse rifles.

The only HCs that seem to be underperforming are the blue guns and Crimson. Crimson's TTK is horrible despite its stats, but I am not sure how you go about fixing the TTK without it becoming broken meta given how its intrinsic perk works.

I suppose you could tweak the healing factor so that it is more in line with the new SUROS Regime.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

HC's actually received a stealth buff after the nerf.  That's why Trust and Service Revolver are so fucking lethal right now.

The TTK / Range for a Service Revolver with Rangefinder / Kill Clip is almost comparable to a fucking Luna's Howl.  That's absurd for a gun that you can get just by turning in Vanguard tokens.

Maybe I will try out Trust again then. I've been mostly just keeping it around for Crucible. I need to check again what rollouts I got on the Service Revolver recently. I complain about normal HC in PvE. but Rose after its upgrade hasn't been too bad though a large part of that is because I do get in precision shots on enemies relatively often.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - there are a lot of quest steps that require using HCs in Crucible too so that is why you see folks using them too.

Solar kills AND HC kills and that's why a Trust with a good roll is an extremely popular weapon if you are chasing down the Luna's Howl quest.

Some players go with double HCs, usually Last Word and Trust, when chasing down Luna's, but that's pretty bold given how many dedicated snipers are out there.   When you're playing Comp, it's usually wise to have weapons that allow you to bridge different ranges.

Being all long range or all short range will just bring you sorrow.

Edited by J.T.

Hooked up with BlakSmyth and his unit for Comp last night.

Got two wins and suffered a loss in Comp last night after the Glory bump.  I'm at about 1400 points or so and should be around 1600 after next Tuesday's reset and a bit closer to the Recluse than I thought I'd ever be.  

I've also got about 3200 points into the Revoker and climbing.

Slowly but surely, I am getting closer to double dipping two more PvP pinnacle weapon quests.

The two wins I got put me at the bonus for the Glory max win streak triumph, so I was happy with that.  The match that my team played to get the max streak was an extremely sweaty Control match against a pretty stacked team of randos. 

I did pretty good all things considered:  14 Kills, 1.5 ER.  Communication was the difference maker.  The other guys had much better weapons, but we were able to coordinate and team shoot the crap out of them while we were on zone defense and we always made sure we captured the heavy spawn.

The match we lost was against a team of obvious cheaters from South America.  We reported them for glitching and lag manipulation and blocked their profiles, but that doesn't recover your lost Glory. 

I'm not sure what it is about Brazil, but most of the dirty players I've reported and blocked have been from there.

Saladin hates me.  I knocked out two IB bounties last night and am close to a third.  91 tokens turned in and no Swarm.

Quite a few IB items with horrible rolls, but no Swarm.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am happy Datto did a "how to prep for Shadowkeep" video because it reminded me that I will need to log in and clean up my vault

Yeah, I have a shit ton of 750 stuff that I could probably stand to get rid of. 

I don't think we're going to have to deal with Weapon 2.0 for a while so I'll probably keep most of my Exotic weapons, but I will probably have to get rid of a lot of really old Exotic armor that I have been holding on to now that we've got Finishers and Artifacts and shit..

I am never ever destroying my Elsie Bray lore or my ramen ticket.

Edited by J.T.

So from that video

- They are calling Destiny a MMO now and currently have plans for 5 more years. So basically - Destiny 3 will never happen

- Each year will have four seasons and at the end of season the world will be changed based on the events of the season. (Basically - you don't have to play each season but you will miss things now if you don't play (they don't say that straight out but they have hinted at that in other videos too))

- To go with that last point - each season will build on the last with the story linking through the year with the conclusion being in that final season (Season 11 if my math is correct)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So from that video

- They are calling Destiny a MMO now and currently have plans for 5 more years. So basically - Destiny 3 will never happen

A decision probably influenced by the major Destiny YouTubers like Datto, CammyCakes, and Azteccross.   

They've argued (and I agree) that the current game has gone through so many iterations that the past few seasons have pretty much been one big open beta and the game probably won't stabilize for another season or so, given that we've got ARMOR 2.0~! being added to the code pile and there's bound to be a weapons revision before it's all said and done.

It would be really stupid to shitcan all the time that the player base has invested just as the game is hitting it's sweet spot.  We wouldn't just be starting over with D3:  we'd be going through the same evolutionary process that we have for the past seven seasons in D2.

It would probably take two years after D3's release for us to finally get a game that felt like it was fully realized.

So yeah.  The effort they'd put in to creating a D3, would be better spent adding content to D2 and refining the code.  

There's probably not a need for a new Destiny game unless there was another hardware revolution and that's not going to hit for some time now that Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have figured out that the money is in software sales and not in console sales. 

My guess is that the big three will still create consoles that will have tons more storage than their predecessors, but the systems are beginning to hit the wall performance wise and televisions will only get but so much bigger.

Edited by J.T.