DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

AH-HA!

We were both right

A Tale of Two Flashpoints
Last week, on the weekly reset of May 7, players who logged in to Destiny 2 immediately after 10 AM PDT were assigned EDZ as the weekly Flashpoint, but all players who logged in after 10:30 AM PDT received Titan as their weekly Flashpoint.

Following this week’s weekly reset on May 14, we expect all players to be realigned, and everyone should see the same Flashpoint moving forward. Pardon our dust.

Whisper and Sleeper have already had ammo nerfs which limit their usefulness.  I don't understand why they are also nerfing White Nail unless they want more people to drive themselves crazy grinding for the Whisper catalyst.

The bullshit you have to go through for the Sleeper and Whisper catalysts can eat a bag of goat dicks.

I don't use the Ace or the LoW enough to understand why they are being nerfed.  Ace just got a buff recently because it's stopping power sucked and now it's getting nerfed?

I cannot believe it's taken them this long to examine the Skull, Orpheus Rig, and Phoenix Protocol since they are some of the best Crowd Control items in the game. 

The next season coming up is the last one in D2's development timeline so why not give those exotics a pass?  Why are the devs doing everything they can to make sure that no fucking body crosses the Bridge of Folly without being driven to alcoholism?

I suppose I should be happy that they are only nerfing the Orpheus Rig and don't appear to be touching the other Kills Give Back Super Energy exotic items that Hunters use like the Shards of Galinor or the Gwsin Vest.

D3 should be released sometime in Q3 or Q4 of next year, so 11th hour nerfs for a game reaching the end of it's life cycle really are stupid.

Edited by J.T.

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

AH-HA!

We were both right.

I figured as much.  In typical Bungie developer fashion, one half of the room does not talk to the other half.

Edited by J.T.

Here is the full language regarding the nerfs (spoilers just for size)

Spoiler

Destiny Dev Team: For Season of Opulence, several notable weapons are being adjusted.  We want to ensure that encounters—raids and other endgame content, for example—remain a challenge. Some of these weapons have been overwhelming that challenge. Our first choice is to buff underused weapons, but if we continue to push every weapon up higher and higher, it will be impossible to maintain challenging experiences. This is not a full list of changes, but some of the most impactful.

Whisper of the Worm
Whisper of the Worm was already adjusted in Season of the Drifter, but an Exotic that can generate an infinite amount of Heavy ammo is still a gigantic outlier and renders many weapons irrelevant for certain encounters. While Exotics are intended to be powerful and novel, bypassing the ammo economy can tend to force us to adjust enemies to compensate. This effectively results in Sniper Rifles as a whole being punished because of Whisper’s unique ammo ability. As a result, we’re removing the ammo generation ability so that we can increase the effectiveness of all other Snipers that don’t have an endless ammo supply. 
White Nail pulls ammo from reserves rather than creating it
Reserve ammunition increased to 18 (without ammo reserve perks)

Sleeper Simulant
The reduction of bounced shot damage for Sleeper Simulant is already present on several important enemies. We are now making this reduction part of the weapon. The difference in damage is too large between a single precision shot of Sleeper Simulant and an angled shot that pierces the target and then also hits the target again with the bounced projectiles. Much like Whisper, we’ve had to adjust enemies around that potential. By making these changes a permanent part of the weapon, we can get it into a more balanced position.
Reduced ricochet/bounce damage on boss combatants
Modified precision behavior—total damage is unchanged, but non-precision shots are significantly more forgiving

Lord of Wolves
Lord of Wolves received a massive increase in damage with the full benefits of the Shotgun changes in Season of the Drifter. This made it a lot more popular, but we got a significant amount of feedback that Release the Wolves activating on every kill made it difficult to control the weapon’s ammo consumption. As a result, we’re allowing you to swap between the two states to control the output, while also reducing its output slightly.

PvE damage reduced by 20%
Release the Wolves perk has been reworked:
No longer triggers automatically on kill
This effect is now triggered by holding reload, similar to “The Fundamentals” on Hard Light and Borealis
PvE damage and range bonuses on this effect has been removed and replaced with a universal damage bonus instead

Ace of Spades
Ace of Spades is pretty hot in the Crucible, and has been since its inclusion in Destiny 2: Forsaken. The number of perks on the weapon, combined with the semi-permanent effect of Memento Mori gives the weapon too many advantages compared to other weapons. Now that Memento Mori ends when you stow the weapon, you’ll need to make a decision on whether or not you’ll keep the weapon drawn to retain the bonus.
Memento Mori now ends if the weapon is stowed
The PvP damage bonus of Memento Mori was slightly reduced to prevent two-tapping Guardians while Vengeance (One-Eyed Mask) was active
Specifically, you need four resilience to survive this
Memento Mori is active for six shots again (up from five)

Exotic Armor
Along with the weapons above, we will also be making some changes to some Exotic armor pieces. Primarily, we’re paying attention to pieces of Exotic armor that grant back Super energy. We felt they are increasingly becoming “must-pick” gear choices. Orb generation from teammates is meant to be the best way to accelerate your Super generation. These Exotics are allowing players to bypass this teamwork mechanic by generating a large amount of Super energy without relying on other players’ orbs. 

Also, because these items are so overwhelmingly strong in situations where players face off against large numbers of enemies, some activities were designed considering the use of armor such as Orpheus Rigs, Phoenix Protocol, Skull of Dire Ahamkara, etc. This means if someone in your fireteam doesn't have these Super Exotics equipped, the activity becomes far more difficult. 

We are making some changes to these armor pieces to try to preserve their power fantasy and still leave them as viable choices for difficult activities without making players feel like they must have them equipped or be at a huge disadvantage.

Super-Generating Exotic Armor Changes
Skull of Dire Ahamkara, Orpheus Rigs, and Phoenix Protocol now receive Super energy back with diminishing returns, making it rarer to get a full Super back
Shards of Galanor and Ursa Furiosa had their Super gain caps reduced to be in parity with other Super Exotic changes
Gwisin Vest had its energy reduced from 15% to 8% for killing one to two Guardians
Still scales up similar to before when killing three or more Guardians
PvE energy return remains similar to before

We’re sympathetic about the fact that the changes we make in the interest of balancing combat and game design can be jarring. It was important that we have this conversation before you read the patch notes. We know many of you have a lot riding on day one of Season of Opulence. Hopefully, this intel will assist you in building the perfect monster-killing machines for the next Season of play.

Oh Dear Lord, that Whisper nerf is stupid.  In order for the Whisper to have an "endless supply of ammo" a player has to hit four crits in a row in rapid succession without missing a shot and the chances of that happening are statistically low.

If it is a common occurence, then someone is fucking cheating and that should be examined rather than the gun itself.

I don't use LoW enough to judge whether or not the weapon perks are game breaking, but it sounds like something that needs to be reeled in.

Same for the Ace.  The damage buff has made Memento Mori extremely effective, but I'd be inclined to let it slide.  Even with MM active, you still have to land your shots and I have seen Ace users routinely outlasted by guys with Luna's, Last Words, and even Crimsons.  Thorn does not have the range to compete with any of those Hand Cannons head to head, so it is fine as it is.

Furthermore, it looks like the only reason the Ace is being nerfed is because Titans are whining about their precious One Eyed Mask not protecting them from every single bullet fired at them long enough for them to dome someone with their fucking Primary Shotgun load-out.  Fuck those guys. 

And it looks like they are nerfing all of the Super-Generating Exotic Armor pieces, not just the ones you mentioned before.   The nerf to the Gwisin Vest makes me sad, but better an item nerf than a class ability nerf.  Spectral Blades is alive and well, for now.

I still think the Super Energy Return nerfs are dumb as this is the fucking last season in the dev timeline and the PvP nerfs will most certainly make their presence felt in PvE.  Way to go, Bungie..

Edited by J.T.

I am not sure I buy into the whole "A new game might be out in a year so just let the current one be the Wild West" motto

But most of these changes won't effect me because I am not really on the super competitive level where these would effect me.

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure I buy into the whole "A new game might be out in a year so just let the current one be the Wild West" motto

If you've let things slide for this long, why not continue to do so?

They've caveated in the dev notes about how "jarring" the changes will be so why implement them at all?  Let everyone have their fun until the support dies and apply those lessons learned to balance D3 gameplay so it is not a shitshow launch like Anthem was.

When D2 launched, the devs were all proud about how deliberately unbalancing some of the items would be and now here we are with "game balance" nerfs at the tail end of the development timeline. 

A complete waste, IMO, since the PvP effects will trickle into PvE and just make Crowd Control and Boss Killing for bullshit like raids and crazy ass Exotic Weapon quests even harder.

If they want to fix something at the 11th hour, give goddamn Hunter jumps more air clearance and take the axle grease off of the soles of our fucking boots so that we can fucking stick more landings.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and just for the record - it is only 3 crits in a row for White Nail. Not 4

Even so, hitting three crits without a miss ever is still astronomically unlikely.

I call aimbot shenanigans.

Edited by J.T.

Datto seemed ok with the Whishper nerf which makes me think its more of a PC players issue.

The Orpheus Rig nerf is probably reasonable. I know I have rarely taken those damn things ever since I realized their usefulness during Shattered Throne. Not sure how much anything will be fixed though if everything is centered around swarming you with enemies. Maybe making challenges not focused on that aspect would help more.

Edit: Have to say it was kind of shitty of them to make the final Invitation Crucible focused. This is the first time I've played Rumble. I hate Rumble.

Edited by Eivion

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:30 PM, Eivion said:

Edit: Have to say it was kind of shitty of them to make the final Invitation Crucible focused. This is the first time I've played Rumble. I hate Rumble.

Yeah, I was so busy messing around with Gambit Prime shit that I forgot that the last invitation is available.  I'll pick it up when I am on this afternoon.  Not looking forward to playing Rumble or Comp, but it's only three completions.  It will suck, but I don't think it will drive me to drink or anything.

It took FOREVER to get one more Reckoning clear for my Sentry helmet and then it took FOREVER to finish the GP Wins bounty since Matchmaking wanted to alternate me between good teams and shitty teams. 

The Reckoning / Gambit Prime bullshit totally fucked up my timetable.  I tried to get an LFG crew together to make a Siege Engine triumph run, but one dude flaked and my two-man couldn't crack the code on the triumph.  I'm going to check YouTube to see what the fuck is up with that triumph.

I am not sure I will get to the Shattered Throne lore run this time around.  Too much extra shit going on during this phase of the Curse.  People are either raiding or hitting the IB, so there aren't a lot of players doing other activities.

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I have one more IB bounty to complete on my Warlock

Hopefully that matches up with reset my Valor again (I think I am two ranks away)

I finished my IB triumphs for the season in the last tournament, so it will not break my heart if I don't finish any more IB bounties before Tuesday.

I am, however, bummed that fucking Gambit Prime shit took so long to finish that it's almost the end of the week and I haven't even laid eyes on the Shattered Throne nor have I purchased the last Nine Invitation from Xur. 

I'll be lucky if I can get my final Nightfall triumph done.

Edited by J.T.

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I have one more IB bounty to complete on my Warlock

Hopefully that matches up with reset my Valor again (I think I am two ranks away)

I hope you pull off the Redrix's Broadsword run this season, man.  If you are even remotely close to another reset, you should probably keep playing IB until the very last second.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I hope you pull off the Redrix's Broadsword run this season, man.  If you are even remotely close to another reset, you should probably keep playing IB until the very last second.

Well I will be doing as much Crucible that I can stand today. A reset today would give me 3 for the season.

Then that sets me up for one reset a week until the new season.

Problem is I still need to do like 20 Competitive matches which will eat into my Valor time

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Problem is I still need to do like 20 Competitive matches which will eat into my Valor time

That is true, but any resets you have earned so far go towards the five resets for the season.

Just bite the bullet and get Comp over with as fast as you can so you can go back to earning Valor.

Comp game modes can be time consuming so I hope you don't get stuck in a lot of round-based match play.

Edited by J.T.

RNG Powers gifted me with a Notorious Invader Vest on my last Reckoning run last night, so I am a cloak short of the set I can run with while grinding the helmet bounties.  I have enough Invader synths to use to make a mote that I hope will turn into a cloak.

I have a metric shit ton of Sentry synths, so I will start making a full suit of Notorious Sentry armor after reset on Tuesday.

On the depressing side, every single Gambit Prime weapon I got as loot during my Reckoning Run of Sorrow had shit rolls.  The most disapointing was the near Perfect Roll LMS shotty..

It had the perfect melee buff perk set-up of Steady Rounds / Grave Robber / One-Two Punch, but the barrel options turned the weapon into hot garbage.

The Rifled Barrel option added a distance buff for a gun that works best up close and the Smoothbore option slows pellet speed in exchange for distance.  Again, not good for a gun with a perk that 1) works best up close 2) has a perk that procs best with high pellet speed.. 

Full Choke would've made this weapon a totally different gun.  Steady Rounds isn't bad, but Tactical Mag probably would've been better 

The Masterwork is a bit of a wash.  The Stability buff helps a bit, but it could really benefit from more Handling.

As it stands now, I have a shotgun where the barrel choices totally work against the gun perks.  Thanks, RNG.

I thought about keeping, it but I will probably shard it.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I was so busy messing around with Gambit Prime shit that I forgot that the last invitation is available.  I'll pick it up when I am on this afternoon.  Not looking forward to playing Rumble or Comp, but it's only three completions.  It will suck, but I don't think it will drive me to drink or anything.

That was my first time ever doing rumble, survival, and countdown. Rumble might be the worst thing they created for Crucible. Countdown sucks and has way too many damn rounds. I say that after my team made a comeback victory after losing the first five rounds. That was annoyingly long and we really should have lost that shit. Survival didn't suck. That is all I really got with it.

I tried to finish the IB bounties I picked up, but I can only do so much Crucible before it gets too annoying/boring. I probably won't finish the bounties. I completely blame the Invitation wearing me out. Aside from one or two matches I actually did fair generally well in IB.

The final Invitation was nice. Probably hints at what will be the next and possibly last big DLC for the game and/or the big story to Destiny 3.

Did a decent amount of Gambit Prime to finish up bounties power bounties there. 

Will probably do some Reckoning today or tonight.

On the plus side. the latest Invitation bounty seems to have a glitch where if you play Rumble first, it also counts towards the Quickplay criteria

So if you play three Rumble matches and three Comp matches, you will be done.

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Since I am a week behind on my Invitation - I will get to double dip on the Crucible counties next week

Yeah, the Invitation bounty will count towards your Comp and Rumble matches if you haven't finished that shit by this Friday.

The Rumble matches will also count towards your Valor rank.

Edited by J.T.

57 minutes ago, J.T. said:

On the plus side. the latest Invitation bounty seems to have a glitch where if you play Rumble first, it also counts towards the Quickplay criteria

I REALLY wish I knew that two days ago.

• Sad 1

I have failed you, Eivion.

I just need to remember to buy the bounty from Xur before he goes away.  I have a feeling that there will be so many blah I hate PvP people trying to grind the bounty that Rumble and Low Glory Comp won't be as sweaty as usual.

I may actually manage a Podium Finish if the people I'm playing against really suck.

The Death bounty will be more frustrating to grind as time goes on as Rumble and Comp transitions back to "normal" or if Bungie patches the bounty next week so that Rumble does not count towards Quickplay.

Edited by J.T.

Oh, and Rippa.

If you need my help with anything, you better ask for it by this Wednesday. I am taking Friday off to go to the allergist and will have a four-day Memorial Day holiday.

Problem is that my boo's adult daughter is getting cosmetic surgery done on Friday and will pretty much be milking it up...... er..... recovering at our house which means I'll be at the beck and call of every female in my house.

If I get any gaming in between this Thursday and next Monday, it will be a fucking miracle. 

At least it's going down on the light week of the Curse.  As long as I get in my Reckoning runs and finish the Invader Helmet bounty before Wednesday night / Thursday morning (provided that I get an Invader cloak to wear during Gambit Prime matches) and at least get the Death invitation bounty to the point where I can turn it in. I should be GTG.

Edited by J.T.

It is my usual things just sitting there that I need done.

However - if you start doing Tier 2 Reckoning runs let me know because I need to start doing those

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is my usual things just sitting there that I need done.

However - if you start doing Tier 2 Reckoning runs let me know because I need to start doing those

I'm all about the Tier 3, but I can slum it and drag you through Tier 2 once you are ready to commit to the madness of Gambit Prime.

I dipped my toe in the toxic waters of Rumble yesterday all for the sake of this last fucking Invitation bounty.

I was expecting to get my ass beat in my first Rumble match ever in D2 and I fucking killed EVERYONE~!  I mean literally I got medal for smoking every other player in the match at least once.  I finished with 20 kills, a 13 streak, 4.0 ER, and a fucking Assassin medal for getting three kills in a row without taking damage from anyone.

Beginner's luck, right.

Absolutely because my second and third matches were quite the reality checks.   I managed second place finishes in both and never had a negative ER, but it was pretty clear who the alpha killer was in those games.  Oh, well.  RIP to my Rumble career.  A star that burns twice as bright only burns half as long.

I will see how I do in Comp this afternoon after the hard reset..  I will probably hate it but at least there is a three match requirement for the bounty, so that will put me two games out of finishing the PvP Weekly Challenge.  Too easy.

The moral to this story is that if you want to finish this new invitation bounty without a boatload of grief, get that shit done as soon as you can while there are extremely shitty people suffering through Rumble and Comp.  Even if you are the slightest bit sweaty, you will probably mop up these fucking raid-hards.

The downside of Rumble is that it is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.  Like the Gambit matchmaking dealie, you cannot preview your opponents' load-outs so you are never sure who you will be fighting or what they will be packing until you are loading into the match.  I was fortunate to have queues full of PvE rubes so even with my low to medium sweat, I was able to knock quite a few of those assholes out of the box.

Comp will probably be a different story.  I imagine that Matchmaking will put me on teams made up of PvEers and Lore Nerds taking time out of their busy Strike schedule to complete the IX triumph and the enemy team will be comprised of a coordinated six stack of blooddrinking mercs grinding for the Recluse.

So if you are also short on Glory, the three Comp matches you need to clear for the Death bounty are a good opportunity to earn it.

Anywho, I also found a LFG team to crack the code on the Siege Engine triumph.  You do NOT get the triumph by melting Brakion before he goes to Shield Mode.  You actually have to get him through the Shielding phases quickly, so position yourselves so that you are already on or close to the pressure plates in between damage phases.  

Make sure you have enough heavy or grenade power to keep enemies at bay while you activate the plates and you should be good to go.

I have no more Nightfall triumphs left to clear.  My OCD is very happy.

I managed to knock out one more IB bounty before you bailed and then I futzed around the Tangled Shore collecting ghost fragments for the upcoming EC bounties that the Spider will have in his inventory this afternoon.  I was too tired to attempt a Shattered Throne run solo just for the Ahamkara Bones and there weren't too many people running the dungeon here at the 11th hour. 

Oh, well.  I guess I will try to solo it early in three weeks when the hardcore phase of the Curse rolls around again.  I'm looking forward to that almost as much as I am to poking myself in the eye with s sharp stick, but a triumph is a triumph,.

I also should get schooled up on Last Wish since I will need to destroy the clutch of Corrupted Eggs in the raid zone to finish the Marasenna lorebook...

I know I will probably never complete the Chronicler triumph seal, but I will try to grind it out as best I can.

I've got yardwork to do at my mom's so I won't be on until after dinnertime.

Edited by J.T.