DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

I've never had an issue with the length of Gambit matches.  The constant demand to speed things up is astonishing.  It's not like any of these power nerds have a hot date on the way and need to wrap things up quickly. 

If anything needs speeding up, it's the fucking raids.  Unforgiving wipe mechanics and trying to calculate perfectly timed QTEs is definitely not my idea of fun. 

Raids on the normal should not last more than a couple of hours at the max, and the fact that clans spent nearly an entire day trying to figure out Scourge and Last Wish for the first time should speak volumes.  Not sure about you, but I don't have that kind of time and even if I did, I would not spend twenty hours straight at my console figuring out raid puzzles, timing my crappy Hunter jumps, and shit..

I also don't have a problem with the way Blocker's currently work.  It's not my fault if your dumbass team loses matches because they don't keep the bank cleared out.

That being said, the math points to the new scheme as a somewhat fairer means of balancing the risk / reward of mote gathering and blocker strategy. 

In principle, there really should be an dramatic upside and a corresponding element of risk to collecting enough motes for Medium and Large Blockers and right now there isn't.  Why waste time with Large Blockers and risk losing your motes to misadventure or invasion when sending in three or four Smalls will gum things up perfectly fine for the other team and set up your own Invasion opportunities?

I fully support the Linear Fusion Rifle adjustments, though.  LFRs take almost no skill to use in Gambit and the fact that they are getting fixed explains a lot.  Queenbreakers Dragonfly Crooked Fangs, and Sleepers have been the bane of Gambit defenders for a long time.

I'm not getting rid of my Dragonfly Crooked Fang anytime soon, though.  I love that damned thing.

I've seen what you need to do to earn the Mote Thief triumph and have concluded that I will never ever finish my Most Loyal lore book because it is counterintuitive to what I believe a good invader should be doing to get a win for his team.

The best way, IMO, to get the triumph would be to burn an invasion portal AFTER the enemy team has deposited and try to yoink them in the act of creating more motes. 

That probably means I'd have to use roaming super rather than a flash super to make sure I wipe everyone on the team as they are gathering motes, hope they don't instakill me with their own supers or a power weapon as I attack, pray that they killed enough enemies for me to nab three motes on the ground, and hope that I bought myself enough time while they respawn to get out of dodge.

That doesn't really help my team stay ahead or kill with the Prime Evil since roaming Hunter supers are pretty shit at boss melting;.  It also means that a lot has to go right for me and a lot has to go wrong for the entire enemy team in order for me to pull that off.

I'd only have to succeed once, but the number of failed attempts may turn me into an alcoholic.

Oh, and I am beginning to suspect that the lore entries for Most Loyal are indeed time gated as per the reddits. 

I have made it a practice this week during the Io Flashpoint to get my 30 headshots and Radiant Cores for my Hand Cannon Frames during PEs in the Tangled Shore and I have gotten nada for new entries all this week.

When the Flashpoint was in the Tangled Shore not too long ago, I got a new entry for every other PE and another two automatically after completing the TS Heroic Adventures.

Something told me to endure the pain of trying to clear the Mad Bomber DH on Solar Singe, but that juice wasn't worth the squeeze last time I tried. 

The Mad Bomber being health gated and having to deal with dozens of fucking Scorn Screebs and Ravagers in between bouts of bomb throwing was fucking stupid, especially since the death checkpoint went all the way back to the beginning of the boss fight. 

So I will have to wait until there is another Tangled Shore Flashpoint before I can finish this stupid lorebook...

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

If anything needs speeding up, it's the fucking raids.  Unforgiving wipe mechanics and trying to calculate perfectly timed QTEs is definitely not my idea of fun. 

Raids on the normal should not last more than a couple of hours at the max, and the fact that clans spent nearly an entire day trying to figure out Scourge and Last Wish for the first time should speak volumes.  Not sure about you, but I don't have that kind of time and even if I did, I would not spend twenty hours straight at my console figuring out raid puzzles, timing my crappy Hunter jumps, and shit

Don't raids only take that ridiculous amount of time figuring out the first day or two? After that I think the time speeds up tremendously since those groups then reveal the mechanics. Raid times right now mean damn near nothing to me though since I don't have a mic to use for them. I just like the Primeval rush idea since it feels more like a proper sudden death round.

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

Don't raids only take that ridiculous amount of time figuring out the first day or two? After that I think the time speeds up tremendously since those groups then reveal the mechanics. Raid times right now mean damn near nothing to me though since I don't have a mic to use for them. I just like the Primeval rush idea since it feels more like a proper sudden death round.

Raid mechanics are needlessly convoluted.  I actually like puzzle solving, but raids are designed to eat up enormous amounts of time in the name of gameplay and that is fucking stupid.

I don't need speedier Gambit or Crucible matches.  I need to be able to get into a Raid group without already having clears or endgame gear and my fireteam needs to be able to beat the raid in under two or three hours.

I've done the normal Leviathan raid in-house before and it only took about 110 minutes total, but we were clicking on all of the encounters.  I think we got Dogs and Baths done in one run, but we wiped to Caius like three time because bullshit. 

I can tolerate burning two hours or so on the raid provided that we win, but not an entire evening session.  I don't need to go back to the nightmare scenario of the Vault of Glass raids where you can spend two hours just trying to beat the fucking Templar or trying to get past the Gorgons.  King's Fall can also eat a bag of goat dicks.

The only thing I hate about Leviathan is that they make you run the fucking Underbelly for your loot.  Just gimmie my shit after every boss kill stage, fuckers.

Don't forget that this is Triple Infamy Week for Gambit in celebration of the Season of the Drifter starting next Tuesday.

I will try to unlock my Mote Thief triumph this week, but I imagine that Gambit will be super sweaty thanks to Triple Infamy Week and getting crispy invasions will be more of a matter of luck than skill.

The Black Armory riddle in my Pursuits queue is going to get the majority of my love this week if Ada is kind and sells the Powerful Sniper Rifle Frame to me.

As much as I would love to have a Blacksmith chest piece with good perks, I think I will just run with any BA chest piece I get so that I can get the BA riddle quest steps done that require me to have a full BA load-out of guns and armor.

Flashpoint is on shitty, shitty, Mercury, Ada-1 is not selling the Powerful Sniper Rifle Frame this week, and I am a Dredgen and have gotten my S5 Triumphs done so I really don't need to play Gambit this week.

Bungie must really want me to rent a copy of Anthem on the way to the 'rent's crib.

Not sure I have spent more than an hour or two playing the last couple of weeks. I still have the Last Word quest and exotic sniper quest that finishes up the BA story, but I just have't found myself super interested in playing. Its not gone completely or anything. I'm just biding my time waiting for the next DLC since its where my main interest is at the moment. For now I've been mostly playing FO76 and trying to catch up on Stardom and will probably continue to do so the next two weeks.

KLFDSAKL'FH'ASIHGASIHG'AJKLC'ASODFJ'ASJOFAJSFDSJ!!!!!!!!!!!

RAGE~!!!!!

Last night, I was THIS FUCKING CLOSE~! to getting the Mote Thief triumph and finishing my Most Loyal lorebook!.

My team of randos was up against a fairly coordinated four man team, but they were kinda slack.  We lost the first round, but I stole the second round for my team with a crispy Prime Evil healing run.

I invaded in the third round of the match after lucking out and having full heavy thanks to drops.   I splatted three guys, nicked three motes and was about to pop my Spectral Blades when a tryhard with a Queenbreaker put me down.

I was totally incensed by the situation, but I wasn't angry at the player.  it's not his job to just roll over and let me bully his squad.  It's also not his fault that the Queenbreaker is super broken in Gambit.

Naturally to add insult to injury, we ended up losing the match as my team went retarded and forgot how to collect motes without dying and dropping ten or more at a time.

I will keep trying at every decent opportunity to get Mote Thief but I feel like a douchebag when I invade, because it really is a waste of a portal and I'm not playing to win. 

I'm playing to get the triumph knowing that there's a really good chance that I will fail and possibly screw my team over in the process.  

There's no way I'd try doing this if I was playing Gambit with clan mates.  Wins mean more than bounty completions or triumphs.

Bungie really should tie the Gambit lorebook completion to unlocking the Dredgen title rather than to this dumb triumph.

God, this fucking Mote Thief triumph.

Played Gambit last night and didn't even bother to invade during the first match because my team of randos was up against a stacked fireteam.  We lost, but it was more competitive than I thought it was going to be.

The teams were actually balanced for the second match, but we had a hoarder on our team that invaded almost every time the portal was active during the first round.  I kinda let him go do his thing during the Prime Evil stages because there are no motes for me to steal during that point in the game.

I only got one invasion opportunity during the match and it was a thing of sadness.  I went in with 200 rounds of Hammerhead ammo and managed to kill two mote holders and got the other two to run away.  The team had left behind about five or six motes but by the time I got to them, they had started to flash.

I was only able to steal two motes.  The others melted away just as my invasion timer expired.  

You cannot imagine the rage...

I had a vid capture running in the event I got the triumph so that I could post it to the Activity Feed.  The capture stopped running like two seconds before I made my ill fated Mote Thief attempt.  A harbinger of failure.

Ultimately, my team did manage to win the match, so I am getting close to another Infamy reset.

I'm happy to see that my invasion skills are decent enough against normal opposition to get this triumph naturally but Holy Fuck, you need almost ideal conditions and perfect timing to pull this shit off and those conditions are not necessarily going to benefit the team.

Oh, and it looks like the Blind Well is broken again. 

I went there this morning to try to score some cheap headshots for my Auto Rifle Weapon Frame and could not interact with the first ancillary well.

The Ascendant Challenge for the week is the one that Rippa and I got a Speed Run completion on, so it looks like I'm not doing anything for Petra this time around if they don't fix the Blind Well.

I will be in NYC this weekend.  We're going to my boo's sister's 55th birthday celebration.  Yes, we are all old.

I might be online playing from the hotel on Saturday night since it is a girls only party and we're meeting up for family breakfast on Sunday morning.

I may be online early in the afternoon as our duty day will probably get comped for us working near doubles over the last few days to get this new VM project online on schedule and the director would rather not pay us overtime.  Works for me since I will have to drive through slushy DC and MD to get to my crib.  The earlier I get on the road on a Friday, the better.

If I am online today, I will try to get in a few Supremacy wins (I need 6 more wins to run the table on that Crucible gametype triumph) and take another shot at Mote Thief.  I really didn't have any opportunities last night when I ran the Gambit Daily Challenge, but at least I am getting better at invading to deny motes rather than heal the Prime Evil.  Hopefully one day soon, the Mote Thief thing will click.

I'm close to crafting 100 total weapon frames so I should get my not so secret reward (The Platinum Starling jumpship) pretty soon.  I need to start crafting Powerful Frames in their corresponding forges rather than taking them to Bergusia all the time.   I am missing the Rasmussen and Meyrin shaders and those are rare drops from forging Powerful Weapon frames in Volundr and Gofannon respectively.

I am also missing the Bergusia shader, but I hear the drop rate for that fucking thing is abysmal and the forge ignitions can be rough if your blueberries are just fucking around.  Better to just go to Volundr and Gofannon where I have the Light advantage to chase shaders and then run Bergusia for the final shader I need for my Collection seal.

I got the Satou shader from a Powerful Frame Blast Furnace run when I first ignited the Izanami forge.

And yep,  I have been saving up my Bright Dust so that I can buy the Fist Reload emote if Tess sells it on Tuesday.

It looks like they stealth patched the Blind Well.  I got my Offering last night, but no new Truth To Power lorebook entry.  The Observatory portal is still closed and a Techeun is stationed at the orrery control panel where you turn in your amethyst.

And fuck.  You get the Crows Wings upgrade for the Baron kill count emblem from Spider's daily bounties; not from his Wanted bounties.  Armed with this knowledge it will probably take me a million years of frustration and shooting things on the Tangled Shore to unlock that emblem upgrade.

I should've played more Doubles during Crimson Days instead of quitting out after getting my Sugary Shell.   I am four wins shy of closing out the Doubles triumph for that Crucible gametype.

31 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm really liking whats being said to come with Season of the Drifter so far. That Vanguard/Drifter quest though is one I may have to honestly wait to hear about before making a choice.

The one good thing about that choice is it isn't locked to your account so if you have at least two characters - you can do both

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The one good thing about that choice is it isn't locked to your account so if you have at least two characters - you can do both

I only have one character. That is why I'll be waiting.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:06 PM, Eivion said:

I only have one character. That is why I'll be waiting.

I have three characters, but I don't really enjoy playing as a Warlock or a Titan so I'll also be waiting.

If Ada-1 sells the Sniper Rifle Frame, I'll be more focused on A Study in Obsidian than I will be on the new content. 

I also need to mess around in the Ascendant Zone for this week's challenge so I can break the Ahamkara Eggs and find the Ahamkara Bones lore.

I found a set of Ahamkara Bones in the Corrupted strike last night by accident.   I spotted a suspicious ledge after dying and peeking around in ghost mode and just followed it after I respawned because I was curious about where it led to.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

My tax return was good to me this year so I will probably get the season pass today and start playing catch-up 

Give me a shout when you are ready for the Forge ignitions.

Oh, and almost forgot!  I ran the Nightfall with some randos last night and we completed the The Floor Is Lava triumph for the Inverted Spire.  No one got the Trichromatica ghost shell, though.

I think I have like three or four Nightfall Specific triumphs to beat before I clear the queue and get the upgrade for the Struck A Nerve emblem..

And it looks like I haven't done the zone for the Ascendant Challenge this week, so I am going to give it a run and try to claim the two Ahamkara Eggs and get the Lore Bones.  I got the Forfeit Shrine confused with the Ouroboros zone because the mechanics are similar.

Edited by J.T.

After reading some of the pre-season lore narratives for the Joker's Wild story arc,

Spoiler

The Drifter tested Gambit Prime's lethality by allowing three Guardian participants to be permanently killed by the Taken?

I will most likely side with

Spoiler

Zavala and the Vanguard, duh.

for this Joker's Wild deal.

Oh, and

Spoiler

apparently Executor Hideo is quite the asshole, so Fuck New Monarchy.

Edited by J.T.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

After reading some of the pre-season lore narratives for the Joker's Wild story arc,

Hide contents

The Drifter tested Gambit Prime's lethality by allowing three Guardian participants to be permanently killed by the Taken?

I will most likely side with

Hide contents

Zavala and the Vanguard, duh.

for this Joker's Wild deal.

Oh, and

Hide contents

apparently Executor Hideo is quite the asshole, so Fuck New Monarchy.

Are these in game? I'm trying to figure out where you read them. I'm especially curious about that last one.

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

Are these in game? I'm trying to figure out where you read them. I'm especially curious about that last one.

I think this is the article where I found links to the story. Stupid internet filters at work will not let me confirm.

Knowing Bungie, they will mess with my OCD and have a triumph for completing each Joker's Wild story angle and compel me to level up either my Titan or my Warlock.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

And, bah.  Still no Mote Thief triumph.  I ran with a pretty good team of randos last night and we beat the shit out of a coordinated four man team. 

Our designated invader ran with a Queenbreaker as I am sure he knows that LFRs will get nerfed this afternoon.  He was a mote denial machine, so I just let him do his thing and saved my Hammerhead Heavy Ammo for the Envoys' Void barriers.

Hopefully the changes to the way blockers work I'm Gambit won't make it harder for me to get Mote Thief after the patch comes. 

I'll check the D2 app today at lunchtime.  If Ada-1 is selling the Powerful Sniper Rifle Frame, I'll be knocking out that riddle pursuit this afternoon and then I'll see what's what with Gambit 2.0.  

I probably won't even attempt to play Gambit Prime until I have a full suit of one of the new armor sets.  I haven't read anything about the light level cap going up, so hopefully it won't and that will be one less thing to grind this season.

Edited by J.T.