DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

I am at 610-ish LL right now, so I am studying up on Volundr Forge strats.

So far I am unimpressed with most of the D2 YouTubers since they are all relying on cheese tactics and Whisper of the Worms to get past the final boss.

Gigz and the members of the Tier 1 clan have the distinction of being the first to beat the new Scourge of the Past raid. 

Poor Datto will never get his blue ribbon.

It looks like the Black Armory raid is more firefight based like EoW and the Volundr Forge encounter... which suits me just fine because I really enjoyed EoW''s mechanics.  

I prefer straight up fights to puzzle heavy mechanics, so I'll probably end up beating this raid before I beat Last Wish.

I still haven't completed a Spire of Stars run.

I am two triumphs away from my Gambit triumph seal and the title of Dredgen.

I have to get two more Half Banked medals and *sigh* I think I also need to do the Dance the Devils away thing where a coordinated fireteam needs to drop 15 motes at the same time.

I got a Half Banked medal in my Gambit win yesterday.  My Malfeasance dropped at 613 and it melts Blockers and Gambit Invaders.  I can't wait to use it in Shattered Throne week after next!

• Like 1

Congrats on finally getting the Malfeasance. i love using it in Dreaming City and Gambit. If it wasn't for that damn Breakneck rifle I would be using it now for Gambit and just maybe actually winning since its far more effective than other kinetic weapons.

• Like 1

Tried to mostly clear up some power bounties to up my LL (still only 607 at best).

Finished up the weekly strikes and Nightfalls. First time I've actually done a 100k Nightfall, and it was not only the best Nightfall score I've gotten, but also was just a two-man team. I'm sure the guy who set it up must have had a good multiplier for that have happened. Definitely need to try these more often.

Finished up all but one of my Gambit daily and weekly bounties. The one I didn't finish was purely because I got it during today's Gambit run. Only did three matches. First match sucked with my team partially dropping out at times. Second match was a win and went way better. Third match was a loss but a good match. I can't really say too much shit since it was pretty damn close, to the point where neither team even finished off the Primeval final round. They had a damn good invader who pretty much kept their team alive that final round. We would have won it if not for him/her.

Only weekly bounties i have left are my heroic story missions and this week's Ascendant Challenge. Will probably knock both out tomorrow (today technically) along with whatever daily is available. Hopefully I can get a good prime engram or two. Those are giving far better power bonuses than the weekly bounties.

• Like 1

I was thinking I would sign on today, download shit and play for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Then my timeline has been filled with tweets with Bungie reporting all the issues they are working on.

I will wait...

I keep failing at this Volundr Forge. I keep getting shitty teams who have no idea what the fuck they are doing. They don;t seem to grasp that we are under powered and should maybe stick together instead of going off to do our own thing.

What really annoys me is that I actually came super close with a team earlier this morning, but the fight ended just before the boss would have died. That was the only team who knew what they were doing since the person leading actually went through the forge successfully before. That was more bad luck than anything else. Actually learned a few things from her that should prove useful if I can mange to find a team that doesn't suck.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I was thinking I would sign on today, download shit and play for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Then my timeline has been filled with tweets with Bungie reporting all the issues they are working on.

Yeah, servers were totally jacked after the Dawning patch.  It got to the point where you couldn't go to the tower without getting booted back to orbit.

Hopefully I will get an Avalanche MG with a decent roll before the event shuts down.  So far my rolls have been shit for the two Avalanches that have dropped for me.

The Dawning patch unlocked all of the Eva's Journey lore book entries.  If you did not finish the lore book on your own, you lost out on the triumph points.    

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I keep failing at this Volundr Forge.

I'm sorry to hear about your tribulations, man.   I will be hitting up LFG for a Forge team today now that I am 612 LL.  Hopefully my run won't be as riddled with misfortune as yours was.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, servers were totally jacked after the Dawning patch.  It got to the point where you couldn't go to the tower without getting booted back to orbit. 

I didn't realize there was such trouble yesterday. Everything worked fine for me.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hopefully I will get an Avalanche MG with a decent roll before the event shuts down.  So far my rolls have been shit for the two Avalanches that have dropped for me. 

My rolls for the two I have gotten were mostly average though I think one of them might have had rampage. I need to check again since that would have been the one I kept if so.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm sorry to hear about your tribulations, man.   I will be hitting up LFG for a Forge team today now that I am 612 LL.  Hopefully my run won't be as riddled with misfortune as yours was.

I need to hit up LFG more for it. Its just that I have a tendency to do it as a last minute try so I do;t take my my time with LFG. Really though I should since the closest I came was from an LFG team. At least I'm doing better LL wise after knocking out half the bounties from Dreaming. I am at 615 currently.

Finally beat the Volundr Forge to open up the Black Amory. Ended up beating it with random match making after finishing up the Dreaming City bounties and the Flashpoint. With that done I'm currently at 620 LL. Will probably try to open up the Nessus forge tomorrow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Finally beat the Volundr Forge to open up the Black Amory. Ended up beating it with random match making after finishing up the Dreaming City bounties and the Flashpoint. With that done I'm currently at 620 LL. Will probably try to open up the Nessus forge tomorrow.

Fuck yeah!

I beat Volundr Forge last night with a couple of LFG dudes.  I was a BB Hunter and there was one MP Titan and a Well Warlock.  We were all 615 - 617 and that seemed to be the sweet spot for the first run.

Unlike the cookie cutter guides on YouTube, we didn't resort to the usual strat of relying on Whisper.  We just stuck together, killed all glowy enemies as quickly as we could, and threw the ignition spheres at the Forge.  It was fairly simple.  

There are three things I would HIGHLY recommend though:

1. There are a shit ton of adds so remember that you have powers and make use of your grenades and melee to thin the heard and use your defensive power to keep yourself alive because you only have two minutes per round to do what you need to do.  It is easy to get lost in your gunsights during the fight and not use a grenade or a dodge / rift / barrier when you should.
  2. It is also a good idea to bring an Energy Weapon with either Dragonfly or a Dragonfly like effect similar to the the Graviton Lance's Black Hole to help clear adds.  I used the Loaded Question fusion rifle and the Reservoir Burst perk was a lifesaver.
  3. Save a super for the boss.  The boss will have drones around him that form a defensive shield.  You have to nuke them before you can damage the boss.  Use Supers and high impact or high ROF Energy or Power weapons to keep the Cabal boss staggered as you do damage.  If you are not on a fireteam of complete drool monkeys, you should be okay.  I used Thunderlord.  It didn't DPS the Colossus boss as much as I would've wanted it to, but the Lightning Strikes kept the drones from respawning.

My Hammerhead LMG dropped at 624, so I am about 620-ish light when I have it equipped.  The stats are not great, but it will do until I can forge another one.  Now that Ada's bounties and weapon frames are unlocked, I can start grinding to 620+ and get into shape to attempt the Gofannon Forge ignition.

So, about the Dawning...

If you don't feel like fucking around with experimentation, there is an excellent cheat article at Forbes.com that has the goodie recipes and who receives which treat.

I like how the sneaky bastards slipped Xur in there as a gift recipient to make you try to get in some weekend logon time if you want to earn one of the triumphs..

I'm up to the part where I am trying to upgrade the Dawning Sparrow by doing Amanda's three fetchit quests (I have a shit ton of baking to do...) and I have already seen a bunch of people zipping around the EDZ on the damned things.  I wish I had that kind of free time.

Once I've upgraded the Sparrow, I will take it for a spin to see how it handles and then I will chuck it into my Vault.  I don't have the heart to shred it, but I like having dignity and I am not going to zoom into a battle on a jet bike that shits glitter.

I am dumb.  It literally took me an hour to figure out that I needed to get sword kills in order to create the Sharp Flavor ingredient.

You've probably noticed that if you keep baking, you will run out of Essence of the Dawning very quickly so refill your stash by running Strikes, Patrols, and Public Events.  I don't think I got any EotD by playing Gambit or the Crucible.

Oh and speaking of the Crucible, Mayhem is the special game mode for this week.

Played some Gambit before coming to work this morning.  We lost the first match 1 round to 2,  but we had a shutout in the second match.  That shit was a fucking trial   I think I was on a team of Gambit noobs.

I had to shoulder the burden of invading because the other three members of my team avoided the portal like the plague.  We almost lost the first round because no one would invade but me, yet everyone tried to shove me out of the way when Purple was up.

I went into mote denial mode with my Round 1 invasions in order to keep the other team behind.  We summoned our PE way ahead of the enemy unit, but we almost blew that round out of our asses because my dumb teammates did not target the Envoys first and the other team started catching up and invading to delay us even further. 

Once my teammates saw me trying to kill the wizards first, they started figuring out what to do and we melted our PE shortly after kacking the Envoys.  Our Titan (ChibiLadyBaba!) was smart enough to save her hammers for the very end.

If I hadn't been proactive with my invasions, we probably would've had that round stolen from us.  

My team came out of the gates strong in Round 2, but the other team got sick of our shit and invaded often.  Putting down the invaders before they could do any real damage was a pain in the ass. 

The other team summoned their PE first and almost had it melted, but unfortunately for them I had 67 rounds of Thunderlord ammo and my Super was up.  I only put down three of them with Arc Staff and machine gun fire, but it was enough of a delay for my team of retards to melt our PE.  Not my crispiest invasions ever, but it was still pretty clutch

I got hate mail from a guy on the other team (ANGELS LEADER) so I knew I was living right.

• Like 1

I am off for 5 straight days starting Saturday so I will probably fuck around a little

But since I am almost positive I will get the Annual Pass for a Christmas gift and I will be off till Jan 10 - I kinda also am thinking I will just spam the Dawning for the last week it is active

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am off for 5 straight days starting Saturday so I will probably fuck around a little

But since I am almost positive I will get the Annual Pass for a Christmas gift and I will be off till Jan 10 - I kinda also am thinking I will just spam the Dawning for the last week it is active

The Forbes article I posted the link to has all the Dawning baking recipes, so that should save you some time.

Only thing to remember is that Xur is also on the goodie list and at some point when he is up, you will have to get his Strange Cookies to him so bake them in advance and surf the internets on to find out his location for that weekend.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

It is also a good idea to bring an Energy Weapon with either Dragonfly or a Dragonfly like effect similar to the the Graviton Lance's Black Hole to help clear adds. 

I find myself rarely w/o the Sunshot jr. (masterworked Explosive/Dragonfly Trust) outside of bounties.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

Save a super for the boss.  The boss will have drones around him that form a defensive shield.  You have to nuke them before you can damage the boss.  Use Supers and high impact or high ROF Energy or Power weapons to keep the Cabal boss staggered as you do damage.  If you are not on a fireteam of complete drool monkeys, you should be okay.  I used Thunderlord.  It didn't DPS the Colossus boss as much as I would've wanted it to, but the Lightning Strikes kept the drones from respawning.

My Hammerhead LMG dropped at 624, so I am about 620-ish light when I have it equipped.  The stats are not great, but it will do until I can forge another one.  Now that Ada's bounties and weapon frames are unlocked, I can start grinding to 620+ and get into shape to attempt the Gofannon Forge ignition.

I actually ended up using the strategy I got from that one girl who was a decent fireteam leader. I used Nightfall/Deadfall with the Orpheus Rig. It made it a lot more safe to use my super before the boss. I also went with the Thunderlord. I found it useful enough.

My Hammerhead dropped at the same power. We are pretty much doing the same now with grinding out bounties and what not in prep for the Gofannon forge.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

You've probably noticed that if you keep baking, you will run out of Essence of the Dawning very quickly so refill your stash by running Strikes, Patrols, and Public Events.  I don't think I got any EotD by playing Gambit or the Crucible.

You will need 5 less once you masterwork the oven (doing all recipes once). Remember to do shitty Burnt Edge Transits at least once before perfecting everything else. Apparently you can't get a triumph for all the recipes otherwise. I find just playing the game normally will deliver a good deal of Essence to you.

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

You will need 5 less once you masterwork the oven (doing all recipes once). Remember to do shitty Burnt Edge Transits at least once before perfecting everything else. Apparently you can't get a triumph for all the recipes otherwise. I find just playing the game normally will deliver a good deal of Essence to you.

Yeah, I had a moment of stupidity and masterworked my oven before making shitty Burnt Edge Transits.  Hopefully I can abandon the oven and get a new one from Eva so that I can fuck up a recipe and then re-masterwork the new oven.

I've already made some Strange Cookies for Xur.  Hopefully I get a chance to give them to him over the weekend, but tomorrow is my kid's 16th birthday party and we're visiting some friends in Delaware on Sunday.  I may not have the opportunity to drop that shit off until the Dawning is nearly over.

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

My Hammerhead dropped at the same power. We are pretty much doing the same now with grinding out bounties and what not in prep for the Gofannon forge.

I threw a Boss Spec mod on my Hammerhead to boost its damage against big yellow bars.  I was on a couple of fireteams that kacked the Volundr Forge warden, but we didn't get any decent drops. 

At least I finished the Forge Ignition bounty for Ava and have a Ballistic Report now, but I can't use the reports to buy Weapon Frames until I clear Gofannon Forge.

I'm up to the 620 LL mission tracking down the smuggling ring that is competing with Spider's sketchy activity.  Getting precision kills on Fallen enemies was dirt simple because I famed Trostland, but then they make you go get melee kills on Fallen specifically on the Tangled Shore and you also have to beat a Heroic Event there, too.

Next stop is dealing with some Fallen crime boss named Siviks who apparently:

Spoiler

Is the Spider's son

but that shit is 620 LL recommended, so I am going to grind some light for a bit and try to get some Volundr clears to get guns with the perks that I prefer to have.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I've already made some Strange Cookies for Xur.  Hopefully I get a chance to give them to him over the weekend, but tomorrow is my kid's 16th birthday party and we're visiting some friends in Delaware on Sunday.  I may not have the opportunity to drop that shit off until the Dawning is nearly over.

Dawning's not over until Jan 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Dawning's not over until Jan 1

We're having a shit ton of family over for Christmas week.  If It is like last year, I'll be lucky to get more than five minutes of me time.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Mayhem will last until Christmas

Iron Banner will return on Christmas Day and last until New Year's

That entire week will also feature double and triple valor

Hopefully the IB will not be that sweaty since most of the tryhards will be in Comp grinding the Mountaintop.

Well that sucks.

Right now there is no way to bake random recipes in a masterworked oven and ovens cannot be dismantled.

The triumph for Burnt Edge Transits is secret has no point value, but it still sucks having it permalocked because you are actually concerned about not wasting your ingredients and want to grind the pursuits for fixing the Dawning Sparrow without constant farming.

Bungie is aware of the issue but it isn't known if they will fix it.  Most likely they won't so that they can to stick it to the data miner crowd and people like me who didn't "experiment" with their dumb holiday content.