DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - that is still happening - it is just all in the Crucible

I blame YouTube and the HERE IS THE BEST PVP BUILD EVAR FOR TITANS LIKE AND SUB culture that is online multiplayer.

I think Bright Engrams are fine, free cosmetic stuff you get just by playing the game. My problem is when it comes to buying them. Don't get me wrong, I've never brought any cosmetic items in Destiny or Destiny 2, but in Destiny you could spend real money to purchase whatever emote etc you wanted. In Destiny 2 it's a gamble. You spend real money to buy the same bright engrams you can get by playing, the content is still random. If i am spending real money i want to choose what i get. At least so far there's no Pay to Win aspect to it. You can get armour from Bright Engrams but it's light level is 10 so you need better gear to infuse it and it's stats are no better than any other legendary.

What are peoples complaints with the light level system? It's the easiest one they've had so far. I hit max light on 2 of my characters and was 1 point away on my 3rd before the DLC and I've barley played (compared to how much time i put into the original). I've still not done the raid yet and i don't think there's been a single week where i completed all the milestones. Some weeks I've just done the flashpoint on one character and no other play time.

For me, Destiny 2 problems aren't the loot boxes and light levels. It's just not hooking me in. We played the first to death, and when there was nothing left to do we'd still knock out the nightfalls/Crota/VoG each week for fun. There's nothing in Destiny 2 that keeps me coming back. I'll jump on on a Tuesday with a buddy to knock out the flashpoint and maybe a spot of crucible, more for the social side/out of habit rather than playing the game. I'm pretty sure at this point i was putting more time in Destiny in a week than I've put in on my alts in the past 3 months. There's just something 'missing' from Destiny 2.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

The Light-Level system is about as fair as it gets in this sort of game. 

If you start grading progress by quality of gear, then everyone will be using the same fucking guns and wearing the same protection items.

That's part of the reason why EQ died so quickly.  People got tried of seeing everyone else carrying the same fucking flaming sword or glowing staff that they did.

I still hate it and I hate the soft caps. It's what caused me to stop playing the first Destiny.  

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

So the weapon that has completely broken Crucible play is of course the one that Xur is selling this week

I just bought one off of Xur. Its cool, but I can see how terribly broken it would be for Crucible. I'm surprised they thought it was a good idea. Since I don't really do Crucible both due to lack of PS Plus and interest it doesn't really matter all that much to me. That, and I honestly prefer my Sunshot. I think I just like blowing things up.

Put in a good session this afternoon to really try out the DLC. More time than I'd like to admit! About 6 hours! But it's snowing outside and the drive way was covered again almost as fast as I could clear it so why not!

Spent the first half doing various quests and milestones. Loot seems a lot more plentiful but that might just be luck. I'm sitting on level 317 right now. Might be able to hit 18 or 19 with mods though. By the time I was finished I was getting blue engrams stronger than the old max light.

At least from Vance and Zavala there are set paths to their loot. Vance involves collecting special materials from public events/chests/crucibles/strikes that you use to forge weapons. Zavala involves completing certain tasks involving the heroic strike play lists. I'm not sure if the rest of the vanguard have their own rewards too.

The new strike? Very cheap, I'm pretty sure it's just the same as one of the missions with the difficulty ramped up. On the plus side, there are a decent amount of missions and a fairly sizeable quest.

That tracer rifle Xur is selling? Broken! It's the best I've done in the Crucible since pre nerfed Thorn! I was regularly getting 2.0-3.0 ratios. Everyone is using it though. I imagine Trials this weekend must be hell. Hopefully when they inevitabley balance it, it doesn't effect PVE because it's damn fun to use. I got several pieces of new exotic armour for the Warlock but no other weapons yet. I've not looked at what's actually been added though.

We tried the new raid. There's not enough of us left now for a full team so we joined up with 4 random Americans and went in blind. Took us about 2 hours to figure out and get to the last boss. And about an hour of attempts before calling it a night. Nothing in there seems impossible. The first 2 encounters are pretty much jumping puzzles. The 3rd took a bit of figuring but it's very manageable once you know what to do. There is a bit of RNG involved in the spawns that can screw you over though. We figured out the mechanics for the final boss but couldn't get the job done. Again, doesn't feel unfair, there's a lot of coordination but it feels doable with some practice. Maybe next week.

Bungie and getting some (deserved) flack for micro transactions, and how they are handling old content now the DLC is out but the DLC is fine. A decent story, a reasonably long quest, a bunch of quality of life improvements and more on the way and a fun raid. It could be better but it's hardly as bad as people are making out. I've spent more on DLC for other games and felt like I got less content. The game still isn't as polished as Destiny was by the end of Rise of Iron, which really shouldn't be the case, but it's definitely moving in the right direction faster than the original did.

In Developer notes - they said that Prometheus Lens shipped with a bug that they will be fixing in the first post-DLC patch (which might be Tuesday)

The implication was they sold it at Xur to try and make the crucible fair for those who don't have it.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Basically - they are making more available to non-DLC folks

It sounds more like they are not perpetuating the sin of Destiny by locking people who didn't buy the DLC out of the things that they were normally able to do in the vanilla version of the game. 

Players shouldn't be allowed to access any of the DLC story arcs or obtain the gear rewards, but not buying DLC shouldn't prevent them from participating in the Iron Banner.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So do the expansions themselves ever go on sale or is it always the main game and bundles?

For now it will be the main game that is on sale (all through Xmas I was seeing it for $30 a couple of times it dropped more than that) and then they sell the season pass separately (or you can buy each DLC individually)

The Season Pass covers the 1st 2 DLCs. I have never seen a sale on the expansion pack but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

if they follow the same model as the first game - when the third DLC comes out they will sell the entire thing as one big bundle. My big caveat to that is when it happened with the first game it coincided with the game coming out on current gen systems. (Like they had a deal where if you traded in your old gen copy, you got the new gen copy for like $30) 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Is it the Vigilance Wing?

No - it was Prometheus Lens

They totally nerfed it with the last patch. They have another patch coming next week so that might fix it again

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

For now it will be the main game that is on sale (all through Xmas I was seeing it for $30 a couple of times it dropped more than that) and then they sell the season pass separately (or you can buy each DLC individually)

The Season Pass covers the 1st 2 DLCs. I have never seen a sale on the expansion pack but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

if they follow the same model as the first game - when the third DLC comes out they will sell the entire thing as one big bundle. My big caveat to that is when it happened with the first game it coincided with the game coming out on current gen systems. (Like they had a deal where if you traded in your old gen copy, you got the new gen copy for like $30) 

I ended up picking the game up Tuesday, but it was just the main game itself. That is why I was curious if the DLC or expansion pass ever go on sale.

I don't think the original Destiny season pass went on sale while it was still relevant. I think it only dropped in price when Year 2 started with The Taken King. I'd guess they follow the same pattern this time. Still, depending on how much you payed for the base game you can pretty much buy the base game and season pass separately for the cost of what the base game went for 3 months ago. I think the season pass is £25 and the game itself has dropped as low as £20 over here.

I have got some Christmas cash coming to me and plan on buying this dumb game soon.

Is it fixed yet?  Is it finally a good time to jump in and expect to see relatively few bugs?