DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

Well I am home from work sick today so I will be able to check things out once the servers come back online

So that is nice... well except for the whole feeling like death thing

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Server maintenance is already done (apparently like 30 minutes ago which would explain why I already saw Mis playing)

Now to see how long this download takes

It is almost midday and you two are playing Destiny 2.  I am responding to this from my phone at a boring ass mandatory town hall meeting on post.

Obviously you two gentlemen are unemployed or something.

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well as I mentioned earlier - I am home sick as fuck

I know you are sick, dude.  My attempt to make light of your situation in order to cheer you up a little has failed miserably. :(

Just focus on getting better and kill as many Cabal as you can.

Well the experience sure does like to flow right now

Gained 3 levels just working on the Flashpoint

Am waiting to start the DLC until my wife gets home because I am unsure if she wants to follow along

I've been slacking in my Destiny playing lately but we jumped on for the new DLC. Took us about 3 hours to complete the story missions so it's definitely bigger than the old The Dark Below/House of Wolves expansions. Ended up at level 23 and power 308. I've not really looked into much of it other than the new story but it looks like the raid scales with the new DLC now rather than being left behind like VoG and CE. Leviathan is now 300 for normal and 330 for hard. There's also heroic strikes again and a powerful engram reward for completing 3 each week.

I'm pretty sleepy so i'll look more into it during the week.  

In general or with the DLC?

It was funny yesterday - the very first thing I did yesterday after downloading the update was to do a Public Event and I got an exotic engram right out of that.

In fact it's the Khepri's Horn so I am actually running as a Sunbreaker until I can upgrade my stuff to go back to Striker

Everyone's bitching about the stupid bright engrams.  IMHO that was never a big problem to me.  Honestly, I could give a shit about bright engrams.  The light level caps are the biggest problem with the game.  That and gear drops, but even the gear drops seemed better for Destiny 2 than Destiny.

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Everyone's bitching about the stupid bright engrams. 

I am an old man with slight astigmatism and I have OCD and hate missing loot, so I am happy with whatever visual assistance the developers can provide for me to make sure I pick up all available treasure and shit.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

I am an old man with slight astigmatism and I have OCD and hate missing loot, so I am happy with whatever visual assistance the developers can provide for me to make sure I pick up all available treasure and shit.

That's not what a Bright Engram is - you get them when you level up and cash them in with Tess so they are the things that you can also spend real money for (ships, emotes, new skins for exotics, etc...) I am not sure what people are bitching about with them (unless it's I AM NOT GETTING ALL THIS FREE SHIT! GIMME! GIMME! GIMME!)

Thankfully the game sends shit to the postmaster if you miss it on picking it up

Most of the bitching I am seeing is the same as the first game which centers around how YOU NEED TO HAVE THE DLC TO PLAY THE FULL GAME!!! Granted - most of that is from PC players who aren't used to this.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That's not what a Bright Engram is - you get them when you level up and cash them in with Tess so they are the things that you can also spend real money for (ships, emotes, new skins for exotics, etc...) 

So it is a token for a micro-transaction that you can use in lieu of actual money, then? 

I could only see a problem with Bright Engrams if it were a painfully obvious Buy To Win mechanism like Tokens from Pirate 101 or Andromeda Dollars from the game we shall not name.

I am not against micro-transactions in general until they get to the point where they trivialize my gameplay efforts to level up normally.  If there is a clear advantage in character effectiveness via spending money vs gameplay grind, then that isn't fair.

It is more like a "loot box" if you will as when you open it you are awarded random shit like ships, armor or weapon mods, free currency to buy the other items, etc..

They were called "bright" to distinguish them from "Legendary", "Exotic" etc...

Now that I typed the words "loot box", I just realized that that what must be what people are bitching about which goes back to my original point

But yeah - there isn't a single thing that Tess has that will give you and advantage in the game

Okay - I Googled

God I hate gamers

Bungie has  job listing posted and one of the responsibilities listed is 

"Create sustainable player progression and chase through Destiny 2’s Bright Engram"

So people saw that and immediately went BUNGIE IS MAKING BRIGHT ENGRAMS PLAY TO WIN! THIS GAME IS EVIL! FUCK THEM ALL!!!!

Like this is the tone of the article I got the info from

At the moment Bright Engrams are an entirely optional part of the game and mostly include only cosmetic extras. There are occasionally gameplay-altering mods, but they’re a minor part of the appeal and not enough to unbalance anything. Which makes this job ad for a ‘senior progression designer’ at Bungie very worrying: ‘Do you follow trends of gear, builds and vanity items in MMOs? Do you understand the difference between too much and too little randomness in player rewards? Do you obsess about how the rarity, cost or challenge of acquisition of items in a virtual world drive or fail to drive player behaviour? Do you know how all of these things could be done better in Destiny? If so, we may be looking for you!’

The basic job description doesn’t sound too bad, and seems to be after someone to simply continue things more or less as they are. (Although the idea that there are now people whose job revolves around working out how little you can get away with in terms of random in-game rewards is a bit disturbing.). What is of greater concern is the list of responsibilities below, which talk about ‘sustainable player progression’ through Bright Engrams. Which seems to make no sense as Bright Engrams don’t really have anything to do with player progression – at least not at the moment.

It all sounds worryingly like Bungie want to change the progression system to something that is based around loot boxes, just like Star Wars: Battlefront II was supposed to be. That’s just speculation, but the job ad is real, and it is not an encouraging read for current players. Especially given what poor value for money the new Destiny 2 expansion is, and how it actually tries to take away content from people that only own the base game. And that comes hot on the heels of Bungie being caught lying about how much experience points you really get from playing in-game, apparently in an attempt to encourage people to buy more Bright Engrams.

My favorite part is the "BUNGIE GOT CAUGHT LYING!!!!" - I guess that is a way to describe it... And that is immediately followed by POOR VALUE~! and then the part about the DLC locking people out which not a single person should be surprised about

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is more like a "loot box" if you will as when you open it you are awarded random shit like ships, armor or weapon mods, free currency to buy the other items, etc..

They were called "bright" to distinguish them from "Legendary", "Exotic" etc...

Now that I typed the words "loot box", I just realized that that what must be what people are bitching about which goes back to my original point

But yeah - there isn't a single thing that Tess has that will give you and advantage in the game

That sounds like perfectly acceptable microtranstion system. 

Not at all like Pirate 101 where premium content clearly gave you a power advantage over other players.

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

My favorite part is the "BUNGIE GOT CAUGHT LYING!!!!" - I guess that is a way to describe it... And that is immediately followed by POOR VALUE~! and then the part about the DLC locking people out which not a single person should be surprised about.

Why would I, as a company, let people play my Pay-For-Play DLC without them paying for it? 

This is why I sold (and you purchased) a Season Pass, yes?

The controversy is way overblown IMHO.  Destiny 2 was majorly improved.  Do I like the single use shader system?  No.  

But the stuff you get at Eververse is just cosmetic stuff.  None of it is armor or weapons.  It's just ships, shaders, and silver dust and such. And once again, I'm not really concerned about how slow the level up system is for Bright Engrams.  What I want is to get rid of is the Light Level system.

26 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

But the stuff you get at Eververse is just cosmetic stuff.  None of it is armor or weapons.  It's just ships, shaders, and silver dust and such. And once again, I'm not really concerned about how slow the level up system is for Bright Engrams.  What I want is to get rid of is the Light Level system.

The Light-Level system is about as fair as it gets in this sort of game. 

If you start grading progress by quality of gear, then everyone will be using the same fucking guns and wearing the same protection items.

That's part of the reason why EQ died so quickly.  People got tried of seeing everyone else carrying the same fucking flaming sword or glowing staff that they did.