DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

Well good news and bad news I suppose...

I got to level 10 and got 5 pieces of Iron Banner armor ... unfortunately, 3 of those were the stupid helmet and nothing was above level 265.  Grrr.

Who at Bungie thought making the Iron Banner milestone reward a fucking EMBLEM was a good idea?

IB was one of my favorite activities in D1, but I can't see myself ever really playing it again in its current state.  Why would i invest a bunch of time into an activity that does NOTHING for my character progression?  A couple of the guns are nice (whattup hand cannon and fusion rifle), but I earned 15 packages and still didn't even get the full armor set.

Extremely disappointing.

Yea  between the Crucible and Flashpoint rewards I worked my way up to 277 today.  

Currently being guided through the Nightfall by "Straight But $5 is $5".  This is what y'all who aren't playing have driven me to.

edit:  well that sucked.  Waited for 15 minutes and they left within a minute of the Nightfall starting.  

• Like 1

Yeah they really mishandled the Iron Banner this time. I'm not sure what they consider 'end game' anymore. Because the tokens you get from former end game content like the raid/trials/banner don't improve you. Weirdly, on the first day and last day of the Iron Banner if you were already 300 without mods saladins gear dropped at 300 so you could farm it for infusion fodder but the rest of the week it was the typical 296ish drops which were completely pointless. And on my alts who are below max light the drops were always lower than my level making it a waist of time playing on those characters unless i really wanted a shot at that ridiculously low chance of armour.

There's nothing wrong with the token system as a support to main drops, but it's crazy that it's replaced it. I think they need to fix a few things if they want people to come back for season 2. Guaranteed items for sale at Saladin below your light, 2 pieces of armour, 2 guns, just like the old Banner. Maybe charge 40 tokens and 40 shards for them. Keep the token system in place so you can grind other gear if you want below your level. Then add maybe 2 luminous engrams in there. One for rank 5 and one for rank 10. With those few changes, no one can power level from it (Bungie seems to not want people to do that). You''re guaranteed some gear like the old Banners. And your guaranteed a limited amount of high light gear like old Banners. And if you still want to grind for stuff at that point the token system is in place instead of end match rewards.

Well ended up getting paired with a really nice couple who you could tell were playing in separate rooms of the house because their kid would bounce back and forth trying to pester them.  It was amusing and made it worth not getting through the Nightfall twice okay.  We kept doing fine until the final set of rings, but couldn't figure out the way to the top of the room to get to a set of rings way up there.  The first time we barely put a dent in the end boss and the 2nd time we made it about 2/3rd of the way through before running out of time.  

On 10/17/2017 at 10:26 PM, CSC said:

Currently being guided through the Nightfall by "Straight But $5 is $5".  This is what y'all who aren't playing have driven me to.

edit:  well that sucked.  Waited for 15 minutes and they left within a minute of the Nightfall starting.  

I havent really played in a couple weeks now.  Having beaten the raid, prestige nightfall, gotten pretty much all the weapons, or at least the best ones (ghost primus is op af), and real life stuff going on...there is not much incentive to play.  I missed the IB and i am not bothered by it.  

#heelturn

That being said, i want to make babies with that post.

#evillaughter

hey jt, just a heads up, fuck this game.  I wouldn't lie to you.

The best thing about destiny, and other multiplayer games, is the connection with other people, like what I think deej meant. 

Don't get it twisted though, it's not going to make your lunch tomorrow or ask you how your day was.  I don't get a sense of fulfillment from playing this anymore.

it could be me, i suppose.  Priorities change and all that

Somewhere along the way though, bungie lost their smile.  Probably when they sold their soul to Activision.  

On the surface, the game plays well, it is a bungie game.  It is severely lacking end game content.  Weapons, armor, mods, classes and subclasses ... everything feels the same now; And furthermore, I, at times, feel like a drone while playing Destiny 2.  

Or it could be the indica talking. I'm not quite sure which universe/dimension I am in anymore.

I'll probably play some in the next day or so though.

I'm crazy, i am aware.

Oh I totally see what you're saying.

Even at level 277, there's almost no incentive to play beyond the weekly challenges.  Nothing else is going to get me stuff that will help - just an endless slog of 5 - 10 level under powered gear and weapons.  Why spend hours a day getting drops that aren't going to help me when I can just set aside a few hours on Tuesday afternoon to get everything useful that I'm going to get during the week and move on to play something else?

• Like 1

What's ironic is that I purposely made limits on myself for Destiny 2 so I wouldn't make the mistakes of Destiny. So I tend to play no more than 2 hours at a time (and that is really rare - usually sessions are only a hour) so I am not feeling what everyone is feeling... yet.

I log on - knock out basically the daily, maybe do one of the missions on a planet I haven't done yet (I have like 2 or 3 left on Earth) or I have started playing a little more crucible. So for me personally - I still have stuff left to do. (In addition to wanting to get to Level 300). I also still haven't started one of my other characters and I miss my Warlock (Plus - getting those achievements would be nice).

Slimy invited me to do the raid over the weekend but I declined because I was hoping off to have dinner plus the Yanks were playing later that night. I am at 292 and STILL don't think my character can handle the raid. But that is partly because I don't trust myself or my abilities.

I am a little sad that this is gonna end up like Overwatch with me. Where I enjoy playing it but since no one else is playing it, I don't feel like I am getting full enjoyment out of it.

I still think JT would love the heck out of it. Especially knowing he doesn't have to devote his life to it. But at this point I feel like if you haven't bought it - you might as well wait till Dec and get it when the DLC hits.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just really shitty at this game (I mean that's totally possible), but even at the level I'm at, all these fucking missions are a pain in the ass to do with one person.  Like - even the ones with recommended level 160+ I have a hard time with. 

I think that in their efforts to make D2 more accommodating and inclusive, more immediately "likeable," they also lost whatever special sauce it was that made people fall crazy in LOVE with D1, despite its many flaws.

Theres just no "stickiness" to the endgame right now, nothing that compels you to grind day after day or bash your head against the wall for hours at a time trying to master the top tier content.

Like they just released the Prestige raid, and it has NO new drops besides an ornament and different colored armor.  Who besides the streamers would even waste their time trying to get through that?  I watched a bit of Destin from IGN trying to put together a team for it, and he couldn't even get a full team because NOBODY wants to do it.

• Like 1

Trials of Nine has been postponed until Nov 3

Per Bungie - apparently there is a crucible glitch (via emotes) that people have been exploiting and the patch is coming out the first week of Nov

How do you even cheat the Trials of the Nine?  Is there some sort of cheese or exploit people were using?

Also, I don't see anything wrong with what Deej said.  Not trashing anyone here, but I think the gaming community can be a really thin-skinned oversensitive group of douchebags.  I thought it was a pretty innocuous comment.  To lose it over something like that and try to shame the guy over social media is ridiculous.

I recall people on here getting emotional and excited over the new intro to Destiny 2 and how it recounts your accomplishments from the life of the first game and how cool that was.  I would say what Deej was saying was in line with that if you really like and get emotionally invested in the game and what you have done with your fireteams.

• Like 1

The Trials cheating is people DDoSing members on the other team. It's pretty easy to detect even without Bungie. If you look at someones profile on a site like destinytracker or something and a teams gone flawless without any kills, or only a couple of kills per game, they cheated. I'm sure Bungie have a more technical way of detecting it. They've banned the offenders for 2 weeks but then cancelled Trials for two weeks anyway and people are understandably annoyed since the ban means nothing then. I'd guess Bungie will probably just extend the bans for 2 weeks after Trials returns. But people like to complain so until they confirm something, people will continue to moan about it.

As for glitches, as far as i know they cant detect when people glitch. The 2 biggest ones in Destiny 2 have been the bureaucratic walk emote that was sold last week. You could use it to step back and glitch through a wall and shoot out of it but people couldn't shoot you. The other was during week two of Trials where you could go out of bounds on the map and kill people, but again, they couldn't kill you. To deal with the people going out of bounds they just changed the map that week. I guess the emote is a bigger problem so they've cancelled Trials for 2 weeks until they fix it.

They talked more about how "seasons" are going to work.

There will be 4 in the first year. No wonder on when the next season starts and how long they will last.

They did say that there will be one more Faction Rally and Iron Banner before the current Season ends.

It appears that they will work somewhat like Overwatch seasons as the change of seasons is when they are going to do their major weapons overhauls and introduce new stuff. (They will do tweak as necessary during season but weapons balancing, etc... will be in between)

The new rewards don't like anything much and weapons will rotate through different slots. Like season one - the weapon might have been a in one slot and for season two they will drop one that goes into a different slot.

Clan progress resets each season and they will change the perks that you get each season (this is being done so new clans will stay at an even level as old clans). Basically a lot of season one perks focused on the Cabal. Season 2 will focus on something else.

https://kotaku.com/bungie-explains-how-destiny-2-seasons-will-work-1819730793

Wild speculation but I'm calling it now, season 2 will be on Dec 12. 

Destiny 2 first expansion is coming in December. The Dark Below was released on the 9th for Destiny and this is the closest Tuesday to it. Season 2 is called The Dawning which was the Christmas event last year I believe. Plus that's 3 months after Destiny 2 dropped. 4 seasons, one every 3 months makes sense.

I'm guessing we get one more faction rally and one more Iron Banner in November. Unless they change the drop rates I'm thinking there will be a lot of angry people again unable to complete a set of gear if it's changed when season 2 starts.

With seasons being handled by the live team we should at least get some good quality of life improvements since they were responsible for the bulk of them towards the end of the original Destiny. Correct me if I'm wrong but 'The Taken Spring' as people called it and Rise of Iron were all down to the live team and probably the best year Destiny had. I'm not expecting huge things for the next few season since they will be very much tied down by the next 2 expansions though.

Yeah, I thought the Live Team did a really good job managing the last 2 years of Destiny, so I'm glad to see them back at the controls.  Hopefully they'll come up with some good fixes to keep people engaged with the endgame.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:07 AM, Basara said:

Bungie have a more technical way of detecting it.

Probably not. 

There's nothing about Destiny 2 or any other game that make it more resistant to modding or exploiting. The key is having the ability to look back at a gaming session and being able to tell whether or not there were any other programs running in the background while Destiny 2 was launched.

I would guess that Destiny 2 devs and admins would look at the players with high win / loss %'s, weigh the number of complaints against these players in question, and then investigate the matter under the authority given to them by the EULA that everyone cheerfully signed before they were allowed to install the game..

I would imagine that buried under all of that bulk code that everyone happily installed on their HDDs would be logs from their gaming sessions and embedded those logs would be a software profile snapshot.  If  they saw that someone had another program running at the same time that they were competing in Trials, that would be grounds for banning under the EULA.

Whether or not you had the opportunity to appeal the decision would also be in the EULA.

My concern about that strategy is the generation of false positives. 

There are a lot of people that use footage from gameplay in their Twitch and YouTube streams, so does Destiny 2 know the difference between OBS, Fraps, and XSplit running Game Capture, or does Destiny 2 treat these programs as malicious code even if they are serving a benign purpose?

The key to dealing with cheating is to take complaints about cheating seriously, investigating them aggressively, and being fair when you draw your conclusions.  Not everyone who is really good at PVP is a cheat and some of the players who complain about cheating just plain old suck at PVP.