DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

I for one welcome our new leader, Arach Jalaal. Dead Orbit were the only ones smart enough to realise the Traveller wouldn't protect us when the time came and that we should spread ourselves across the stars instead of bunkering up in our city waiting to be slaughtered. I wish him many more faction rally victories.

Didn't get on much tonight thanks to the maintenance but i knocked out Shaxx Call to Arms milestone and got some underwhelming gear. But high light underwhelming gear so i'm now 303 on my Warlock. It's just my power weapon. chest and bond that are a few points under max light. I imagine the final grind will be tedious and slow!

He's just a little short on funds is all. Probably had all his money tied up in equity before the Fallen took the EDZ. Had to wait for the cash to come in from the faction rally to get his fleet off the ground. He'll be good to go any day now.

Bah! Dead Orbit didn't need any mumbo jumbo fancy machine to warn us of the war. That things probably made from filthy vex technology anyway!

Dead Orbit risked its entire fleet during The Taken War to intercept the Cabals distress signal calling for the Red Legion and warned the vanguard. Zavala even thanked Arach Jalaal! And who's ships do you think evacuated the Tower during the Cabal attack? Dead Orbit! (Probably....)

You take your 50k glimmer average scout rifle with terrible perks and you thank Arach Jalaal personally! Who wants a stupid pulse rifle that makes heads explode anyway?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got Riskrunner from Shaxx's Call to Arms this week and it's at 300 now. Got my Warlock up to 294. Too bad Warlocks die too easily than they did in Destiny 1.

I'm glad it's not just me, I'm great with my Titan and Hunter, just started a Warlock for the first time on either game today, and it's a lot harder than the other characters.

So the only difference between the winning and losing factions is just the cost of the faction specific gun, right?

Because 50k glimmer is like nothing in this game, especially when I've been sitting at max glimmer for days with nothing to spend it on.  

6 hours ago, Adam said:

I'm glad it's not just me, I'm great with my Titan and Hunter, just started a Warlock for the first time on either game today, and it's a lot harder than the other characters.

Hunter for me is made out of paper mache. If your character is nearing death dealing with enemies and you're above the recommended level for a mission, then there's a problem.

So basically Destiny 2 is built for Titans and that's it. Destiny had more of a balance with enemy encounters where you could snipe away from a distance but weren't too underpowered (Hunter), be a mixture of close up attacks and further away but the right gear mitigates damage (Warlock) and be a defensive tank that can absorb a decent bit of damage (Titan).

Also, almost everyone I talked to that I do trophy boosting with said if you want to complete a raid or a prestige nightfall strike, you use a Titan. If you have more than 3 Titans on a team during a raid, you'll get it done easily.

Okay the Cliffhanger adventure says its recommended level is 130 and the end of it might have been the hardest thing I have done in the game

Stupid Vex Mind floating above a floating platform. Stupid not running a solar titan

I feel like you guys aren't spec-ing your armor properly.  Most other places I read consider warlocks to be the tankiest class in the game.  Try running some pieces from or the whole set of the High-Minded Complex or Wildwood armor.  With those, you can drain mobility to zero and bump resiliency up to 7 And restorative to 6, just in the base stats before factoring in any mods or using healing rift in general or Devour on voidwalker or Phoenix Dive on dawnbreaker.

Warlocks can become nighe inkillable.

The two biggest complaints about the game I see are

1) There is no grind (this is from the hardcore Destiny 1 folks)

2) Crucible sucks (and this is mainly from the folks who preferred the way Crucible was in the first game)

I am not there yet on #2 as I haven't played nearly enough Crucible to formulate an opinion yet. I will say the adjustment to 4 v 4 is something I am still getting used to - especially because when you get stuck with a dropper it is more "dramatic" to your squad

I will say that I'm not a fan of 4v4 Crucible. I think the better way to go is exactly what they did with Halo. Have a 4v4 mode, a 2v2 SWAT mode, do a Big Team Battle that's 8v8, etc. The problem I ran into with the Crucible is that every single team I was placed on got wrecked so fast. The balancing is piss poor and when it's 4v4 then it really takes everyone working together to win. Everyone working together with teams that small is only feasible when it's your friends you're playing with.

I'm also not a fan of the Crucible maps. I wish they'd bring over maps from the first Destiny.

My opinion of the crucible, I was never a big fan of Destinys PVP and I wasn't too thrilled about the announcement of everything in Destiny 2 being 4v4. Then playing the beta turned me off it even more with everyone having ridiculous amounts of health. But now it's here I like it better than the original. Probably because I'm so much better at it.

In Destiny I was average, typical 1:1 ratio trading kills. In other FPS I was always at least competitive at around a 1.3-1.6 ratio usually. I'm much closer to that sort of level in Destiny 2. It's much more primary weapon based now. Weirdly my biggest problems with the crucible are probably what makes me better at it this time. Grenades and melee attacks are next to useless. A grenade was basically a free kill in Destiny and my Warlocks punch was essentially a shotgun.  Also, unless you're chaining orbs you will only get one super per game. And now they've made snipers and shotguns heavy weapons it's a very primary weapon based game. I had to completely change my style and I play better because of it.

The biggest problem I have is the scoring and game time. I can count on one hand how many matches I've had where a team reached the score limit before the time limit. Either reduce the amount of kills needed or tweak Shaxx mercy rule. I've been on games where we've tripped the opponents score and Shaxx is still screaming for blood. The only time I've seen the mercy rule kick in was when we were winning 30-0.

As for classes and the beatings they can take. In Destiny a correctly tuned void Warlock with The Ram (I think?) had the highest health in the game. You could take a low impact sniper shot to the head and survive. Not that anyone used low impact sniper rifles. In Destiny 2, I've not really looked into it yet. I read somewhere that, for the crucible at least, anything past a resilience 5 is pointless. That's the point where you can take an extra MIDA shot or a body shot needs to be a headshot to get the same TTK. Anything above that doesn't make enough difference to take another shot.

For me it always goes Warlock/Titan/Hunter. But that's mainly due to play style and how used to the classes I am. I play most on my Warlock so I play best. Least on the Hunter so I do worse. I've not played around enough with Destiny 2 yet to optimise a class.

Oh my goodness. After my bitching about the Crucible, I decided to head back in there yesterday.

I cleaned up shop in the competitive mode. Only had time for 2 matches, but we won the first 4-1. The next we won 4-0. My auto rifle energy weapon was constantly mowing folks down. In addition, I felt untouchable at times because I'd triple jump, slide, and dodge my way out of getting killed. Guess I'll be playing more Crucible.

Dear Lord, Deej made a comment about "the ultimate loot is the friendships" in the latest TWAB, and he's been getting ruthlessly dragged across the Internet for it ever since.

Probably the biggest Bungie PR faux pas since Luke Smith's "throwing money at the screen."

Iron Banner returns on Tuesday

Begins:  October 10, 2AM Pacific
Ends:  October 17, 2AM Pacific

The game is Control.

What’s different?
Combat will be between two teams of four players
Your fighting abilities, not your power levels, will decide the outcome
Bounties and Ranks have been replaced with an Iron Banner Engram

How can you compete?
Complete the Destiny 2 campaign – the only way to reach the Tower
Visit Lord Saladin in the Tower to begin the Iron Banner Quest
Fight in the Iron Banner playlist with Quickplay modes and matchmaking

What’s in it for you?
Earn Iron Banner Tokens in every match (earn more if you win)
Daily and Season* Milestones that track your progress to glory
Claim brand new armor wrought in the forges of the Iron Lords

They are also adding a "Prestige" raid which appears to be basically this game's version of Heroic.

Iron Banner with power levels disabled is a bizarre, and frankly dumb, decision.  It is literally just a regular Crucible mode at that point, you'll just get different tokens to take to a different vendor afterwards.  Whoopee!

The new armor is dope, though, no lie.

My biggest take away from the weekly update was Future War Cult came last in the faction rally. I expected it to be close between Dead Orbit and FWC with New Monarchy being nowhere to be seen.

Weird that Iron Banner isn't light level enabled since that was the whole point of difference between Saladin and Shaxx. Now it's just crucible with different rewards. But samurai themed armour? I'm there!

5 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Iron Banner with no power levels will not negate the camping, so it's pointless.

I actually find the D2 crucible less campy than the original. There's not a sniper rifle down every corridor or a sliding shotgun around every corner anymore. My comment about it making no sense getting rid of power levels was from an in game view. I might remember it wrong (i'm sure J.T can correct me on the lore) but i thought the whole point of Saladins Iron Banner over Shaxx crucible was Saladins thinking that Shaxx crucible was 'weak' and that a real fight had no fair play and the Iron Banner was to prepare guardians for actual combat not sport.

2 hours ago, Basara said:

I might remember it wrong (i'm sure J.T can correct me on the lore) but i thought the whole point of Saladins Iron Banner over Shaxx crucible was Saladins thinking that Shaxx crucible was 'weak' and that a real fight had no fair play and the Iron Banner was to prepare guardians for actual combat not sport.

In general, yeah, the Crucible is the battle arena where Guardians hone their combat skills.  

Saladin sponsors the Iron Banner in the continuing effort to put Shaxx in his place and undermine his authority as the Crucible Handler and Chief Tactician for the Vanguard..

There are no real specifics, but it is assumed that Shaxx's successful counter-offensive which routed the House of Devils at The Battle of Twilight Gap was carried out in defiance of a direct order from Saladin, who probably preferred to take a more defensive posture. 

Saladin was pretty pissed off that Shaxx's aggressive tactics, while successful, cost the lives of several prominent Guardians including Ana Bray.....

.....who theoretically wasn't killed during the battle.....

In-game lore supplied by the events of the No Time To Explain quest suggest that she was spirited away by the Vex given that you find Ana's bracelet in the ruins of Twilight Gap while investigating a temporal anomaly for FWC..  There is a lot of nerd theorizing about how the time traveling Exo Stranger is actually Ana Bray, but that fan service is unsupported by Bungie.

The enmity between Saladin and Shaxx led to the Iron Lords supporting Zavala over Shaxx for the position of Titan Vanguard.  Out of respect for Shaxx and due to their friendship, Zavala used his authority to name Shaxx to the position of Crucible Handler.  The guy who kicked ass at Twilight Gap would be the logical choice for the Vanguard's military advisor.

Unhappy with that decision, Saladin further fucks with Shaxx by sponsoring the Iron Banner tournament with the methodology that "true combat" will cause Guardians to second guess Shaxx's strategies and ideology.... as if there needed to be additional divisive factions within the Guardians...

Yes, I am fully aware that your post was designed to draw a lengthy lore nerd post from me in the thread of a game I stubbornly refuse to play in the subtle effort to erode my resolve.. 

Mission accomplished... maybe....

• Like 1