DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

While i'd prefer permanent shaders it's not really a big deal for me. I've not even used one yet since i'm still progressing and haven't found any sort of semi permanent gear i'd want to use. Like you say, it rains shaders on you and the ones complaining the loudest will be the ones who burnt through theirs as soon as they got them. To be fair, if this is the biggest complaint people have with the game, Bungies done alright this time.

The same with the microtransactions complaints. Once you hit level 20 you get an eververse engram for each time you would have levelled up. Unless i'm missing something you literally get the same thing that people pay for for free for every couple of strikes you do. If people are impatient and want stuff now, let them spend money on it. I'll just keep collecting them as i play. I've already had emotes, sparrows, and ships from mine as well as ghosts and light level 10 gear that needs infusing.

So we tried the Nightfall. Holy shit! We didn't get it done as a two man team yet. You have 12 mins to complete it but get an extra 2 seconds for each enemy you kill. But with the new burn modifier it makes it incredibly hard without a varied load out. Which we don't have. It's also recommended at level 240 and we tried it at 230 at first. Under manned and out gunned it went very badly. We did a lot better when we came back at 240+ but without a selection of burn weapons it takes forever to drop a shield.

We played around with a few ways of increasing light and getting better gear. Strikes and Crucible takes too long now. Not a complaint, just not the fastest way to grind gear anymore. The best way we found was the loot caves on each of the planets. You just rush in, kill the yellow bar, loot the chest then fast travel to the next one. You get a guaranteed rare item and a maps token for each one with a chance at a legendary. So even if the gear you get is no good you can still use it towards levelling up rank with vendors or breaking down the rares for the gunsmith and getting legendary gear that way. We went from around 220 to 250 this afternoon.

While i haven't had an exotic engram drop yet I had a legendary engram upscale to an exotic warlock helm. 

I am finding it hard to shard legendary gear. It's early days and i don't want to accidentally delete something that might turn out to be the next big thing and then have to spend hours grinding for it.

I really think my only complaint with the game so far is you cant choose a strike or crucible game mode. I'm assuming it's done so as not to dilute the player base for an individual activities but i'm sure there's more than enough people playing that it wouldn't be a problem.

Oh yeah - I am stuffing everything into the vault for now - unless it is a duplicate.

There was also something kinda neat into stumbling into some enemies that I just got not beat. It has been a LONG time since that happened in this game.

There are things I like about the new game and things I don't like.

I like the new general mission format.  It feels like a more involved and focused narrative.  I like that the Farm will get new vendors over time as you progress through the story.  It's like you are unlocking them.

I like that you can now track public events on the gameplay maps.  I like the new maps in general.  

I HATE the new shader system.  The new shader system is rubbish.  And the way you have to give up massive amounts of glimmer to shade some items is also garbage.  I don't understand why Bungie did this.  This shader system is trashed and they fixed something that wasn't broken.  

I'm not crazy about the new weapon loadout format either.  

The mission layout is definitely a huge improvement. Not having to go to orbit in between doing everything saves so much time. Various fast travel points across the worlds is a great addition too. Only thing i'd like to see added is the ability to set a waypoint anywhere, not just on a mission or event, and that other people in your team can see it.

The new weapons system is taking some getting used to. I don't like that snipers and shotguns are now the equivalent of a heavy weapon. It feels like a change they have been forced to make due to the balance in the crucible in the original Destiny and to a lesser extent that they somewhat encouraged us to use snipers and the gjallarhorn to burn down bosses. I do like that burn weapons are a lot more common. And that you can now have two primaries. Being able to switch between a close range weapon like a hand cannon and a long range scout rifle. Grenade Launchers are fun but seem somewhat under powered. They have a good rate of fire but i'd rather they be used for crowd control instead of single target damage. I've probably used fusion rifles more in the past two days as a power weapon than i ever used them as a secondary in the original. Submachine guns are the only guns i really find useless at the moment. It's like they took all the bad auto rifles and just changed their class name and kept the good ones as auto rifles.

There is actually a glimmer cap it seems, 100,000. But for some reason it says 99,999+. If you've hit that and spend, say 5k, it will drop to 95,000. But i'm thinking things like shaders etc are the only thing to spend it on after the campaign? I was using it to buy green gear that was better than my drops during the missions but once you hit level 20 it's not been needed for anything else so far, at least for me. 

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Glimmer isn't really an issue anymore since they removed the cap.  I currently have 99,999+ glimmer.  Spend it all, baby.  Plenty to go around.

Taking the cap off glimmer is fine, but what they did with the shaders is still trash.  You never had to pay to apply your shaders before in Destiny.  That's hot garbage.

I'm currently in love with this legendary shotgun called First In, Last Out that's basically The Chaperone 2.0.  And I'm talking about the Chaperone from when it was good, pre-shotgun nerfs that killed it.

I've also got a rare "linear fusion rifle" that's basically Baby Sleeper Simulant that I love.

There's some information about Xur out there. He will return next Friday (15th) and will be accepting Legendary Shards as currency. No word on how much anything will cost as far as i can tell. I've been hoarding all sorts of things until i knew what he would be taking. Unfortunately I've hardly got any shards.

If anyone's been doing any sort of crazy power levelling it seems you can pretty much buy legendary shards once you hit 280. It's a way to spend all that glimmer that's just sitting around doing nothing at the moment. The gunsmith sells rare mods for glimmer and once you hit 280 he will convert 3 rare mods into one legendary mod. Dismantling the legendary mod will give you shards. So even if you're not 280 yet start stocking up on rare mods instead of letting all that shiny glimmer go to waste. I'm at 250 and it seems the real grind begins around 265-270 so i don't think i'll be hitting 280 before next Friday but at least i know what i need to be stocking up on now.

So I started experimenting with infusion last night and discovered that cross-infusion is no longer possible.  You can only infuse scout rifles with scout rifles, hand cannons with hand cannons, etc.  Something to keep in mind.

I haven't started a second character yet, but I'm betting you can't infuse warlock armor into hunter or titan armor, too.

I thought the Rise of Iron grind was where they finally started getting it right. It basically rewarded you for playing the game and there were a bunch of ways to get to max light. It looks like a similar situation this time. Except there's a lot more you can do. The real grind at the moment seems to be 270+ until things like the raid/trials/iron banner begin again since the only way to get there i think is exotics. And with no Xur yet for Three of Coins (assuming they are still a thing?) it's not exactly raining exotics. Rares go up to 260 so you can easily get there just playing any activity you want. Legendaries go up to 265 but some come with a +5 mod making them essentially 270 for infusion purposes. And there are a bunch of weekly tasks that guarantee legendaries classed as 'Powerful Gear' which i'm not sure if they go above the 270 cap or not. Along with levelling up vendors.

They are always going to limit how far you can go pre-raid because at the moment the raid is end game. You shouldn't be getting end game drops for doing a patrol or hanging out in the crucible getting your ass kicked. Again like Rise of Iron, i'm sure once the raid is out there will be a bunch of ways to get there again.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

So I started experimenting with infusion last night and discovered that cross-infusion is no longer possible.  You can only infuse scout rifles with scout rifles, hand cannons with hand cannons, etc.  Something to keep in mind.

I haven't started a second character yet, but I'm betting you can't infuse warlock armor into hunter or titan armor, too.

Something to remember before you get infusion trigger happy. Hold onto 5 rare scout rifles. They are needed for a quest. I deleted a bunch before i started doing this and now i need them the bastards wont drop for me. It's hand cannons all round for me at the moment.

I have Monday and Tuesday off next week - I keep reminding myself that I haven't had time to play XBox in like 6 months and I really shouldn't be suckered into buying another Destiny game.

But then I start thinking $60 for even just a couple days of entertainment isn't THAT bad of a deal and I know eventually I'm going to cave and start playing anyway so why not start early.  

So yea...I'll probably have the game by Monday.  

I'm now level 15, I think. Haven't seen, heard nor even sniffed a shotgun drop since lvl 3 or so. 

My kingdom for a shotgun...

Edit: Haven't even seen vendors selling any. I think they were patched out of my edition. :)

5 hours ago, Basara said:

I thought the Rise of Iron grind was where they finally started getting it right. It basically rewarded you for playing the game and there were a bunch of ways to get to max light. It looks like a similar situation this time. Except there's a lot more you can do. The real grind at the moment seems to be 270+ until things like the raid/trials/iron banner begin again since the only way to get there i think is exotics. And with no Xur yet for Three of Coins (assuming they are still a thing?) it's not exactly raining exotics. Rares go up to 260 so you can easily get there just playing any activity you want. Legendaries go up to 265 but some come with a +5 mod making them essentially 270 for infusion purposes. And there are a bunch of weekly tasks that guarantee legendaries classed as 'Powerful Gear' which i'm not sure if they go above the 270 cap or not. Along with levelling up vendors.

They are always going to limit how far you can go pre-raid because at the moment the raid is end game. You shouldn't be getting end game drops for doing a patrol or hanging out in the crucible getting your ass kicked. Again like Rise of Iron, i'm sure once the raid is out there will be a bunch of ways to get there again.

I couldn't even get to the raid of Rise of Iron due to the Light level issue.

I really wish the game did a better job of balancing the Crucible teams.

Was doing the two competitive matches for Shaxx and in one of them my pitiful light level of 115 was the third highest of the 8.

There was a dude in the 250s and one in the 230s. Of course they were on the same team. Meanwhile it was me and 3 dudes less than 60.

Yeah, Crucible balance is keeping me away from it. Also, one of the trophies is tied to the Crucible (Lord Shaxx's Call to Arms).

There's some genuinely funny moments in the game, especially during an adventure to get a tool cache from Fallen ("Now he looks like a thief! He's the thiefest one I've seen!," "I'm taking over for Sloane. You don't want to hear what she said.") and another mission (Holliday: My ship was battered escaping from the Tower. Sloane: We'll put it in front of the line for repairs. Holliday: Great, just great).

I played with someone online for King's Fall raid and they complained about how short the game is (although they were terrible at King's Fall). Given how Destiny 1 was at launch and how Destiny 2 is at launch, I would say it's a lengthier game and the story makes a lot more sense too (example: No "I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain")

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I couldn't even get to the raid of Rise of Iron due to the Light level issue.

What issues did you have? The only real problem i found with RoI was if a Ghost or Artifact where holding you back since they were the hardest pieces of gear to find. If that's the case then Destiny 2 makes it even easier. Ghosts no longer have light levels and so far there are no artifacts. Of course there's always the chance of shitty rng and just not having a piece of gear that you need drop.

I don't know what the recommended light for the raid is this time, i'm guessing 275 or 280. You can get to 270 just by playing the game and doing public events and strikes which would be more than enough for a 280 raid. Nightfall aside due to the modifies, we were doing quests a good 20+ levels lower than the recommended light and didn't feel under powered at all.

6 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Yeah, Crucible balance is keeping me away from it. Also, one of the trophies is tied to the Crucible (Lord Shaxx's Call to Arms).

There's some genuinely funny moments in the game, especially during an adventure to get a tool cache from Fallen ("Now he looks like a thief! He's the thiefest one I've seen!," "I'm taking over for Sloane. You don't want to hear what she said.") and another mission (Holliday: My ship was battered escaping from the Tower. Sloane: We'll put it in front of the line for repairs. Holliday: Great, just great).

I played with someone online for King's Fall raid and they complained about how short the game is (although they were terrible at King's Fall). Given how Destiny 1 was at launch and how Destiny 2 is at launch, I would say it's a lengthier game and the story makes a lot more sense too (example: No "I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain")

They've definitely embraced a more light hearted approach to the game. The ship A.I on Neesus is my new favourite Destiny character.

I'm really not seeing an issue with game length. It took us about 15 hours to do the story mode, with some messing about on the first 2 planets. The fact that me and my friend blew through the story in 2 days is entirely on us. Any other game that had a 15+ hour story to complete would take me a week or 2 to get through. On top of the story I've still got probably 20 or so adventures to do and I've not finished any of the planets quests yet.  You're always going to get a minority of people with this games that put in 10 hours a day every day when the game drops, hit max light in week one and complain there's nothing left.

Didn't get on much yesterday, i did take a look at the gear the vendors sell and decided that the Warlock armour from Io is my favourite and the set i'm going to grind for. So of course Io is the smallest planet in the game, with the least amount of loot caves and the worse public evens to do solo. Why me?

Shader issues aside, they've not really affected me but i can see why people are pissed about it, my biggest problem with the game is there doesn't seem to be an easy way to re-play missions or select specific strikes and crucible game modes. Hopefully that's something Bungie patch in at some point

Got back on there tonight and hit 267. I'm smack in the middle of grind country now. It's either legendaries with a +5 mod, powerful gear from the weekly events or exotics from now on to level up. Fortunately it resets on Tuesday so i should get a nice boost in a couple of days.

We've two man flawlessed Crota's End, We two manned Skolas Revenge without a wipe, 3 manned the Warpriest and Vosik and 4 manned Golgroth. We still cant 2 man the Nightfall! The difficulty isn't the issue now, it's the time mechanic. We can get to the boss with about 4 mins left and get him down to about half health before the timer runs out. We just cant do enough damage in the time remaining to finish it. I think it's partly to do with the weapons. I'm still lacking a decent loadout and just using whatever the highest powered gear is. It definitely feels doable. I saw that someone soloed it with an exotic solar scout rifle that does bonus damage to cabal and shoots through shields so that would probably help.

• Like 1

I haven't tried the Nightfall yet, and I don't know if its doable with 2 people, but I've heard the trick is for everybody to run their Arc subclass, make sure everybody has their Super to start the boss fight, and as soon as it switches to Arc empowerment, everybody pops super at the same time and goes ham and burns him in like 10 seconds.