DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

Okay, early thoughts.  I've put about 7 hours in so far, and I'm Level 13 and just unlocked Io.  You can get there quicker than that, I'm sure, but I usually screw around with some Adventures and stuff before I hop to the next destination.  I think Io is gated at Level 11, so I'm a bit ahead of the game in terms of power level.

In short, it's amazing.

The story missions are leaps and bounds better.  I've yet to come across another mission with all the crazy set pieces that Homecoming did,  but there's a great sense of traversal and exploration to all of them.  This is not a "run to a room, fight 3 waves of enemies, rinse and repeat" story.

My favorite missions so far might actually be the 2nd mission, where you escape, wounded, powerless, and weaponless from the City, set to a gorgeous string soundtrack.

Failsafe is the scene-stealing new character, thus far.  But who knew the Speaker was so gangster?

Titan actually reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2.

The lighting effects in this game are breathtaking.  Like after two whole expansions focused on them, I didn't think Bungie had anything left to show me with the Hive, but some of the environments on Titan look like Ridley Scott directed them.  And then you get to run over them WITH A FUCKING TANK.

There is literally something to do EVERYWHERE you turn.  You can pick up an Adventure (which are very substantial missions), and on your way to that,  hey, there goes a High Value Target.  So kill him for loot.  Then, hey, there's a public event.  Pop in for loot, maybe get lucky and trigger the Heroic version for more loot.  And is that a Lost Sector?  Do some quick spelunking for more loot.  Then finally make it to the Adventure, complete it, and get MORE LOOT.

You can easily lose an hour just dicking around on Adventures and NEVER feel like you're just aimlessly grinding.

I am in awe.

Ack!  I forgot to mention the super cool part at the very beginning where the game recounts your accomplishments in D1, complete with the list of players on your fireteam when you did it.

It almost got a little dusty in my room, because it just hit me there were some people I used to play Destiny with all the time and now I never play with them anymore, or hardly ever see them online, period.  One dude hasn't logged in to PSN in over a year and I'm kinda thinking he might be dead.

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

My favorite missions so far might actually be the 2nd mission, where you escape, wounded, powerless, and weaponless from the City, set to a gorgeous string soundtrack.

I played until you get to the Farm last night, so I played about an hour's worth, and that was one thing that I may have to seek out is if there is an OST I can listen to for this game.

I will say the front part of the mission was a bit of a slog. I get why it's there tonally, but moving that slowly was definitely an "okay, I get it." 

EDIT: I may go ahead and get the other two classes to this point just so I don't have to play through this section again when I'm ready to build those other classes.

On the bright side, I've found the queues to be almost nonexistent.  

I hopped on at launch last night and I waited maybe 5 minutes, tops, to get in.  This morning I logged straight in with no wait.

I think this rolling launch thing turned out to be a really good idea.

Downloaded the game earlier today. Took just over two hours. I'm stunned. I can't believe a 30+ gb download over PSN went that fast.

Of course, today is also when my Onkyo receiver apparently died. Fucking shit. I was all excited to play Destiny loud as hell in my house since my wife has a shift tonight and it'll be TV speakers only.

Activision ended up sending me a free digital copy, so despite my disenfranchisement with Destiny at the end...I'm diving back in.

Right off the beat, the prologue has a really frustrating thing in it.  Ghost says the Traveler destroyed the Darkness.  Wait a minute, what the fuck.  The Traveler DESTROYED the Darkness? What the fuck have I been fighting the whole time?!

Regarding the Darkness, Bungie basically said they didn't have an answer for what it was and so they washed their hands of it.

Personally, I think it should have been like the Nothing and you're fighting against a giant moon sized space wolf.

Prop Tip:  If you're a warlock and want to literally live forever, play Voidwalker with the ability tree that has Devour in it.

Devour triggers on a charged melee kill or by consuming a grenade charge and instantly refills your full health.  From there, you have a 9 second countdown during which your next kill will also refill your full health.  Your next kill also RESETS THE COUNTDOWN, meaning as long as you're killing someone every 9 seconds you will live forever.

It's especially great when you're being rushed by a load of thrall or other low-level baddies that can be OHK with a melee.  You will win that slap fight every time.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because it'll surely be the first thing nerfed on the next update.

I got to the Farm.

Had to stop to walk the dog and harass the kid about not doing his homework

Hoping to get back on to at least explore the Farm

I can still do a shoulder tackle so this game is a-okay with me

Quick thoughts that others may have posted but i skimmed over to avoid spoilers.

We dropped about 5 hours into it last night after work. The game is still just an amazing time sink. We didn't really achieve much. Only the first 4 missions and a crap ton of adventures in the EDZ. But it's so much fun doing it. The new public event system is great. Having an ingame timer so you know when and where they are popping up, we just bounced from one to another collecting loot. Getting excited over green freakin engrams dropping and then ending the night on a blue! a blue engram! The missions are so much more involving than before and the world seems a lot more dynamic. It's fun playing this game again when enemies actually hurt you and regular levels have some sort of threat instead of feeling near unkillable and just dicking around in nightfalls and raids like we were towards the end of the original. Ended up level 10 at around 100 power.

Unless it all falls apart mid to late game there certainly feels like there is a hell of a lot of content in here. I was a little concerned when it was announced at how many missions there were but they are a lot bigger than the original Destiny and the way it's set out gives you so much more to do. I like that it's more of an open world for each area where you just pick and choose if you want to do missions, patrols, adventures etc rather than just jumping from one quick 5min level to the next.

I think there was more story and cut scenes in the first hour of playing than in the entire first game.

Loved the nostalgia at the start, going over all your achievements from the first 3 years and who you completed them with.

Just got an e-mail from the GameStop here on post at Ft. Lee saying that if I show my CAC card, I get a 10% discount on Destiny 2 IF I also get the Season Pass..

Whoopee... Lucky me.....

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Seriously - I can't begin to explain how happy I was seeing my characters again.

So I take it you will be sticking with Heavy Hips Female Exo Titan as your main..