DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

I feel like unless you're a Destiny fanatic, the smart play is to give it some time before you make a decision.  I mean, it's an online game - there are going to be issues at launch.  Servers will be iffy, bug will abound, players will discover design flaws the devs didn't account for, etc.  If you're a real head like me, you just have to make your peace with it.

What is so funny is that I know Bungie and therefore Destiny 2 will butt fuck me but I am so bitter over Mass Effect: Andromeda that I am looking for any outlet to ease my pain

• Like 1

It's been so long since I played vanilla Destiny that I'm having a hard time remember specifics about things that bugged the shit out of me. The second raid was buggy as fuck, I do remember that. That shit sucked. I remember how Bungie went out of their way to fix exploits in the first raid instead of anything else that had been broken for longer, but I don't remember specifically what was fixed and not fixed. Monotonous missions, boring as hell voiceovers, lame ass vehicles, and the most shallow grinding I can think of, but again, no specifics for any of those.

The one thing I read was that mission variety is greater and there's some rabbit holes you can go down that make the single player experience more robust. The question then becomes, how quickly does that stuff get too boring and too familiar? In Destiny, that happened awfully fast. Even still, I played the shit out of it and really only quit because I was fed up with all of the bugs from the first expansion and the second raid. There was so much shit that just made such little sense that Destiny 2 has to be better by comparison. I hope.

I do wonder what it would have been like to go into Destiny completely fresh faced when TTK came out as opposed to playing from the start. I'd imagine for newer Destiny players, if they got in when TTK was released, then they probably thought the game was way better than anyone else thought it was.

According to the devs, there are over 80 missions and activites in the game and, at one point in development, the game was 50 hours without including the Raid.  So I don't think it will be nearly the shallow experience that D1 was at launch.  Even if they've tuned it down to 40 hours, that's still roughly the same amount of content as there was at the end of D1's cycle after all the expansions were factored in.

Is the 20% off Digital for Destiny 2 on Amazon still a thing, or was that only ever on PC?

As said before, I'm determined to not make the same mistake with D2 as I did with D1 and be stuck with a physical vanilla Destiny copy.

*ahem* Anyway...

The leaks are coming hard and fast now.  Here are some numbers and not-super-spoilery stuff I've found...

17 main missions in the campaign.

5 strikes.  (Well, 6 if you're on PS4.)

18 exotic weapons.

11 pieces of exotic armor per class.

Xur confirmed to return, but strange coins seem to be a thing of the past.  Looks like he'll accept whatever the shard currency is.

The NM/DO/FWC vendors are MIA.

The Raid drops on the 13th.  Trials returns on the 15th.

I think that's around the same mission count as the Destiny base game. I was kind of hoping for more than that but if the beta is anything to go by, the missions and strikes will be a lot bigger than the original. 

If the 80 or so activities are correct then that means they'll be a lot of quests and other things to do after beating the main game. I'm guessing a bunch of exotics will be tied to quests since that seemed to work for them towards the end of the originals run.

Is there any word on when reset day will be? It was always a Tuesday before but with the game coming out on a Wednesday I'm woundering of they've moved it forward a day.

8 hours ago, Basara said:

I think that's around the same mission count as the Destiny base game. I was kind of hoping for more than that but if the beta is anything to go by, the missions and strikes will be a lot bigger than the original. 

It's also worth noting that there were several main story missions in vanilla Destiny that had very little to do with the main story and would likely be classified as Adventures in D2.

I know when they streamlined the vanilla story for the TTK release they completely left out several missions.  Off the top of my head, I specifically remember The Archive and Scourge of Winter on Venus and A Rising Tide on Mars were left out.  I think those nodes on the map are still empty on my Hunter to this day lol.

Here are some additional details on the amount of content in D2.

Spread across the 4 patrol destinations, there are a total of:

30 Adventures

27 Lost Sectors

91 Public Events

129 scannable objects

Also, each destination has it's own "world quest" that is 4 missions long.

Plus, an unknown number of Cayde's treasure maps.

I'm curious to know what all they're counting as "public events" to get the number up that high.