DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

13 hours ago, EVA said:

The new slower ttk is very noticeable on the Control map they're using for the Beta.  There are so many nooks, crannies, and obstructions on that map, it's very difficult to finish a 1v1 situation before that person gets to cover, even if you got the drop on them. 

I applaud the improvements to the maps because cover was pretty sparse in old school Crucible and no matter what the game mode, things boiled down to zerg tactics.

That being said, if you have a guy dead bang, he should cough up the spirit when you blast him.  It's bad enough that lag saves assholes.  I don't need the game doing it too.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh I am so fucking rusty but I am all the way the fuck back.

So far I have been proud of myself for resisting so well.  Now I'm getting PMs from my DARPA peeps who are in the Beta now.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, Craig H said:

Has Big Fresh pre-ordered yet?

Yep.  He's played the beta and hates the Crucible and doesn't think he wants to buy the game. 

He's thinking about shifting his pre-order deposit over to RDR2.

That isn't surprising. Anyone who bailed early through Destiny isn't going to really be sold by what the Beta offers

That being said - I never will understand making a decision to never play a game when you have seen maybe 1/16th of what was offered

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That isn't surprising. Anyone who bailed early through Destiny isn't going to really be sold by what the Beta offers

Contrastly, there are times when I wish I had shiny penny syndrome and was able to resist temptation early on lest I buy something, get sucked in for hours and hours, and reach a tipping point where I wish I never bought the game.

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That being said - I never will understand making a decision to never play a game when you have seen maybe 1/16th of what was offered

My issue with bailing because of what you've seen in the beta is that it is a fucking beta.

No indication of what the final product will look or perform like.

From what we have learned about Bungie and Destiny, the game will ship perfectly fine after a bit of minor balancing and it will actually be fun to play for the first six months or so.

Then they will fuck things up along the way with DLC that will allegedly improve things.

I only played the story part - 1 1/2 times since I had to stop halfway through the first time to eat dinner

I literally had to look at the settings a half a dozen times to remember what the controls were. It was shameful how long it took me to remember how to crouch.

It seemed weird to me that there wasn't more guidance re: what the controls were but I am also kinda assuming that will be there for the regular game (or that is a setting I missed)

The "big" battle in the middle that was one of those open game play areas weirded me out - mainly because I forgot it was going to happen. Literally I am trying to kill Cabal and out of nowhere a Hunter shows up slaughters every and generated a ton of orbs. I was like "Was that a planned spot???"

Never made it to Zavala's bubble once. I suck

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I literally had to look at the settings a half a dozen times to remember what the controls were. It was shameful how long it took me to remember how to crouch.

It's not Click Left Thumbstick anymore?

Just now, J.T. said:

It's not Click Left Thumbstick anymore?

THANK YOU!

I thought I was going crazy

The default control scheme has it on the Y button

Now that being said - they have like a half a dozen preset control settings - I didn't fiddle with any of them. There might end up being one I am more comfortable with

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

THANK YOU!

I thought I was going crazy

The default control scheme has it on the Y button

Now that being said - they have like a half a dozen preset control settings - I didn't fiddle with any of them. There might end up being one I am more comfortable with

Y Buttion was the Action button in the original control scheme IIRC aka the button you use to interact with the world aka the Ghost, Go And Shine Your Sparkly Flashlight On That Console So We Can Get To The Next Mission Checkpoint button.

They probably swapped crouch to Y because the thumbsticks can get a workout in PvP when you're trying to stay off player radar. 

One of Mis's homeboys broke the left thumbstick on a controller during the IB due to frequent teabagging of downed opponents.

So how are you guys liking it? The impression I get from reading the stuff above is that this isn't a huge departure from post-patch Destiny. I don't really care about graphics because it's a given that those will be great, but what about the feel of the world and how combat operates in that space?

Spoiler

Maybe because GoT returned Sunday, but I felt like The Hound running through "homecoming"

hound-v-brienne-game-of-thrones-got-cunt

then I ran into Gary

and

Gary hit me with a tenor.gif

also: Gary took your light, don't look at him.

Sunshot wrecks mf's in pvp.  I was bitching to slimy about it feeling underpowered while shooting cabal in the face, then killed 2 people with 3 bullets .  2 into p1's face - he explodes and chains damage to p2 who at that point gets wrecked by 1 sunshot headshot and explodes as well, i don't *think* anyone else got damage on p2, i was 2v1,  so....

The jumps feel different.  Ability recharge times are much slower.  Armor is not paying into intellect/strength/discipline, but seems to now offer better resilliance (damage taken) over mobility or vice-versa. The new supers are cool, i can still bubble on titan, or have a fucking roaming fist of havoc (#broken)

IDK what bastard (GoT?) control scheme you speak of, but on mine X has always been action and the bumpers pressed together are for supers, separately for melee/grenade.

I'm uploading some shit to Xbox and then youtube, first is story, then gonna put up pvp.  I am honestly underwhelemed. The 1st beta was awesome, as far as content went.  There was progression, multiple missions and a strike.  I get that they don't want to let the cat outta the bag yet, but damn.  After 2 playthroughs of the story mission, I'm good on that.  I guess I can go exploring in the strike (3 times completed now, and im not exactly blown away by it either), or play pvp for the next 4 days.  The replayability of the D2 beta isn't very high (I won't be playing this one for over 24 hours straight), but I haven't dabbled in the competitive pvp either.  I hear it's 4v4 search and destroy (hi JT, s'up).

Edited by misanthrope304
Because my phone autocorrect words into stupid shit

5 minutes ago, misanthrope304 said:

.I hear it's 4v4 search and destroy (hi JT, s'up).

Everyone knows that the keys to my return to Destiny are Bungie not fucking up the Crucible and Bungie not nerfing Hunters into the dirt.

I definitely agree with Mis that this beta is much.... smaller than the first game's

Like as far as I can tell - you don't get to visit the new social space (or you do and I just haven't figured out how yet)

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I definitely agree with Mis that this beta is much.... smaller than the first game's

Like as far as I can tell - you don't get to visit the new social space (or you do and I just haven't figured out how yet)

The Cabal nuke the old City, so it would not surprise me that unlocking the new social space will require completion of a story mission that you cannot access in the beta.

It definitely does but I was positive I read something that said you are allowed to visit it during the Beta (they just weren't going to have the vendors active)

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

(they just weren't going to have the vendors active)

Probably because they don't really know which vendors will survive the Cabal city busters..

Nerds worldwide will riot during the Lakshmi-2 / Holiday funeral cutscenes..

D2 Intro Missions will be the same as in Destiny aka reacquiring the shit you already had now that the Cabal have blown up your jumpship and sparrow during the attack.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I could be wrong but i think they mentioned you'd be able to access the new social space over the weekend once the open beta starts.

Found it

The Farm - what the hell is that?

Destiny 2's new social space, The Farm, will be inaccessible for most of the beta. But for just an hour on the beta's last day, you can come check it out and dance your cares away with your fellow guardians. The Farm will open up at 10 am PDT and 6 pm BST on Sunday, July 23.

We're fighting a war against intergalactic despots with guns, swords, and space magic as our weapons and our base of operations has moved from a city to a farm.

Fuck this game.