DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

So I skipped year two of Destiny (I got told off by my wife for apparently spending many, many hours on strikes and raids in year one) (turns out she was quite correct..) and started playing again about three weeks ago in preperation for D2 - I've finally reached light level 400 (Started at 305 which was where I left off) but managed to do it without doing a single raid (quite surprising, drops from crucible and exotic engrams did the trick) and I gotta say I missed this game! Just going to wile away now getting my other two characters to 400, although it wont be hard now with crucible dropping a 400 item every other game.

I'm glad I stopped playing because the break was good and it made me appreciate playing again.

The Beta is available for download now but won't log in until the actual day.

Okay - just for the sake of clarification

You don't need a code to play the beta - you just get early access to the beta

Pre-Order PS4: July 18-20

Pre-Order XBOX: July 19-20

All Console Players: July 21-23

(all times start at 1 PM EST)

So again - if you want to wait you can

Y'all might know this but I figured I wanted to share it again

What's In The Destiny 2 Beta

Campaign: You can try the opening mission, Homecoming, and see some of the cinematics from the game's campaign.
Multiplayer: Try the new attack/defend Countdown mode on the map Endless Vale. You can also play the Control mode from Destiny 2.
Strike: Try the new Inverted Spire Strike set in a Vex stronghold. This can be played with two friends you bring or via matchmaking.
New Subclasses: Try your hand at the new Dawnblade Warlock, Arcstrider Hunter, or Sentinel Titan
New Social Space: At 10 AM PT on July 23, you can visit the social space The Farm and do things like kick around a soccer ball or make friends with a chicken.

What's Not In The Destiny 2 Beta

Most vendors and services in The Farm will be offline.
Clan support.
Character Progression ("the Beta does not represent how your characters will evolve in Destiny 2").
Progress does not carry over to the final game.

Weird dumb questions I likely know the answer to...

Is this being optimized for the PS4 Pro and X.B.O.X.?

If it is, if I pre-order it for the PS4 on PSN, and later get a PS4 Pro, I shouldn't have to buy the game again, correct?

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

Weird dumb questions I likely know the answer to...

Is this being optimized for the PS4 Pro and X.B.O.X.?

If it is, if I pre-order it for the PS4 on PSN, and later get a PS4 Pro, I shouldn't have to buy the game again, correct?

If you want the game "optimized" - i'd recommend ps4 or pc.  

Ps4 because bungie has a deal with Sony for exclusive content.

from what im hearing, the xbox coming out this fall, with all its beefy specs, the spiffy new one with all the bells and whistles, still gonna run d2 @ 30fps because it still had to connect to all the other regular, mortal, xb1's

pc because pcmasterrace, tech evolves n shit. That being said, bungie has partnered with a 3rd party studio porting this to play on pc, i read something in game informer about d2 handling a little differently than on console....pc beta is in august, we will know more about that then

On 7/17/2017 at 11:12 AM, Chaos said:

I haven't looked that hard, but where would be the best place to get a Beta code for tomorrow without preordering?

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-to-get-into-the-destiny-2-beta-without-a-code-or-pre-order-w492926

Legit fuckery from rolling stone, i approve this message on grounds of circumventing the pre order bullshit

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Preordered 

I will just be over here letting Bungie butt fuck me

Just relax and let it happen...

So the beta is pretty damn fun. It seems they had to implement the queuing system from Rise of Iron when they launched it since so many people tried to log in. Like they didn't expect that? Fortunately i didn't get chance to try it until a couple of hours after it dropped so any teething problems had sorted themselves out by then.

I'll keep it brief since it's late and i need sleep but it's pretty much what you'd expect and want. A bigger, prettier version of Destiny. There are a lot more mechanics and interactions during the mission and strike and both seem much larger. Maybe that's just because we were exploring more or a sign of bigger things to come. There was probable more story in the single mission than in the entire original game.

I was a little sceptical when they said the Crucible was going 4v4 but i actually enjoyed it. The map is a lot smaller and the games a lot faster passed. I haven't tried out the new game mode yet, only Control.

I'll hold off on going too much into it until more have played the beta since there are more XBox players here i believe.

• Like 1

The opening story mission kicks ass.

The scale of the strike is tremendous.  There are long strikes in D1, but none that feel as big as this one.  Apparently there are a lot of secret routes that people are finding.

As much as people complained about the game featuring the same enemy races as before, I've already seen some new varieties of enemy types and old enemies exhibiting new behaviors and attacks.  Feels fresh.

Crucible...is taking some getting used to.

I watched PVP get streamed a little bit, and the maps i saw looked a lot like D1 to me with some subtle changes with interfaces. I'll be curious to see how it feels and plays on Friday.

The PVP gameplay feels totally different.  Abilities are shit right now, and Bungie needs to tweak them before release.  Everything is less powerful (even supers) and the ability cooldowns feel like Trickle is on all the time.  I'm getting like 1 super per game (occasionally 0 if it's a Countdown match where my team is getting rolled), and grenades seem to take about 90 seconds to recharge and then do little more than scare opponents.

To me, it should be one or the other: abilities recharge quick but do less damage, or they're as lethal as ever but you get fewer uses per match.  This current setup sucks.

All the space magic flying around is a big reason why Destiny was the first FPS I ever loved, and it is absent from PVP right now.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

All the space magic flying around is a big reason why Destiny was the first FPS I ever loved, and it is absent from PVP right now.

Some of my most favorite moments in game were spent in the Crucible (17.0 K/D in an Iron Banner match!), so this does not fill me with confidence about a triumphant return to Old Earth.

I'm also not terribly sold on a storyline where the Prince of Crows is the regent in the Reef.

13 hours ago, EVA said:

As much as people complained about the game featuring the same enemy races as before, I've already seen some new varieties of enemy types and old enemies exhibiting new behaviors and attacks.  Feels fresh.

The Cabal were the least fleshed out of the Big 3, so there is a lot of story to tell about them and why the fuck they are so intent on invading Earth and Mars.

In regards to the ability and super cool down times. I noticed the same thing, even during the mission and strike it was taking forever to charge. But now that i think about it, it's probably to be expected. We are technically massively under levelled compared to Destiny 1. D1 light level was 400, the beta is capped at 200. Your ability and super cooldown time was always linked to your gears attributes, the higher your intellect the faster your super charged. I'm guessing that's the reason for the huge timers at the moment, we are essentially wearing starter gear with crap stats. 

The biggest thing i noticed about the curcible was how much of a beating you can take now and how much more damage you have to do to kill someone. I could 3 burst someone with a pulse rifle in D1 but doing that in the beta just seemed to piss them off enough to notice you were there and retaliate. Again this could be down to the gear but with level advantages disabled in the crucible, and everyone being 200, it really feels like you have more health in there. Maybe that's what they are going for? Control felt a lot faster than D1 since the maps where smaller, but now it's only 4v4 instead of 6v6. The faster game along with the smaller map and higher health could be there to force you to work together more and get team kills rather than just going off by yourself. Me and my friend stuck together for one game and went 19-1 and 17-5 between us. Going off alone in the next game we got our asses kicked.

The big health bar and team kill mechanics may also be there to address the issue of teams wiping to a single player with an active super and it may further serve as a deterrent to lone wolf campers.

Most of the adjustments to the mechanics of Control matches are obviously there to keep teams from being the fish in a barrel about to be shot to death.

That being said, I hate bullet sponge solutions because they don't always address weapon balance. 

PvP only works when players respect gun damage.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The big health bar and team kill mechanics may also be there to address the issue of teams wiping to a single player with an active super and it may further serve as a deterrent to lone wolf campers.

Most of the adjustments to the mechanics of Control matches are obviously there to keep teams from being the fish in a barrel about to be shot to death.

I could see that. There's also no Titan hammers or Warlock lighting supers in the beta but on a map the size of the one they picked for control, a single roaming super like those could probably wipe out the enemy team 3 or 4 times over and drop enough orbs to keep the super killing chain going forever under Destiny 1 rules.

The new slower ttk is very noticeable on the Control map they're using for the Beta.  There are so many nooks, crannies, and obstructions on that map, it's very difficult to finish a 1v1 situation before that person gets to cover, even if you got the drop on them.  Rolling as a squad and team shotting definitely seems like the way to go.  Most of the times I've died it's been because I've been caught in a crossfire.

The Countdown map is a little more open and easier to get kills, but, man, that mode is really Trials-like in terms of how quickly a better team can roll you.