DVDVR Message Board

Destiny 2

I got through all of the three legacy campaigns and moved onto Forsaken.

Boy, what a bummer that one is so far. Probably shouldn't have started that right before I went to bed. 

All of the lore is really impressive. Bungie has built a really cool universe and I want to see more of it. Rasputin becoming this ominous, sentient AI is creepy and I want to see what happens next with that. I want to know what's up with all of these creepy black pyramids that have appeared (yeah, I know they have to with Shadowkeep). And I'm looking forward to Beyond Light.

Bungie also came out and admitted what was in that one video, which was that they didn't want to just move on to Destiny 3, they wanted to keep building on 2, and what you'll see from Beyond Light is a lot of what would have been in 3. Weirdly enough, I'm hoping we can alter our character appearance. I don't know what I was thinking, but my appearance choices for my guardian's face and hair all suck.

Also, Beyond Light seems like it would have been a good opportunity to do what WoW is going to do with their next expansion. Basically, the level cap in WoW right now is 120. Stats from gear are absurd. The next expansion is going to have a "level squish" where the new cap will be 60 and they're normalizing some of the crazier stats from gear. I think that would be a huge undertaking for Bungie, but I wonder if there's a way to do it. I mean, they've kinda done that already starting everyone out at 750 and then having your gear be what levels you up. It may just be as simple as saying that level 750 is a really silly, high number and we're just simplifying what that level number is.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Bungie also came out and admitted what was in that one video, which was that they didn't want to just move on to Destiny 3, they wanted to keep building on 2, and what you'll see from Beyond Light is a lot of what would have been in 3. Weirdly enough, I'm hoping we can alter our character appearance. I don't know what I was thinking, but my appearance choices for my guardian's face and hair all suck.

The way this reads

We rebuilt our character face system. We know that how your Guardians look is important to you, and we’ve long wanted to add more player customization to Destiny. Our original system for player faces had some combinatoric content authoring problems – for example, every decal had to be authored completely custom for each player face permutation. This prevented us from extending this area of the game with more content and features. We’ve upgraded to a significantly more capable system (with e.g. runtime decal projection), which we hope to leverage for more player customization options in the future. As part of this process we reviewed the existing player models with our Diversity Committee and Employee Resource Groups in the studio to make small tweaks to existing player heads. We’re also building a list of Guardian face shapes we should bring to the game in the future in order to increase Guardian diversity in Destiny, with the long-term goal of enabling everyone to imagine themselves as their Guardian. 
What you might notice:
Your Guardian’s face may look a bit different. 

Makes it seem like eventually you will be able to but not immediately when Beyond Light drops

• Like 1

Bungie also announced that due to all the changes they are making Beyond Light will require a full re-download to your system. They plan on allowing for preloads the evening of Monday, Nov 9 (in theory - everyone will be able to download starting 10 hours prior to launch).

The file size of the game is shrinking by 30-40%. Depending on system - the install will be between 59 - 71 GB

Holy crap. I'm currently going through the Forsaken campaign and it's really good...eeeeexcept for the part I'm now at where you have to hunt down all of these barons. It feels like there's 10 of these guys and I just took down the first one, the Rider. This campaign already feels as long as the main campaign and while it's good, better than anything else so far except for the stuff teased at the end of the Warmind campaign, this part feels super padded.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Holy crap. I'm currently going through the Forsaken campaign and it's really good...eeeeexcept for the part I'm now at where you have to hunt down all of these barons. It feels like there's 10 of these guys and I just took down the first one, the Rider. This campaign already feels as long as the main campaign and while it's good, better than anything else so far except for the stuff teased at the end of the Warmind campaign, this part feels super padded.

It shouldn't be an issue anymore but do note the recommended LL of each Baron - it gets progressively "harder". (I think the LL is still down in like the 800 which is why I said it shouldn't be an issue but still)

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It shouldn't be an issue anymore but do note the recommended LL of each Baron - it gets progressively "harder". (I think the LL is still down in like the 800 which is why I said it shouldn't be an issue but still)

I'm in the 870s at the moment. The Rider was 750. I think every mission based enemy has had a LL of 750. The only things I've come across higher than that are when I join random public events and a couple Dark Sectors were like that too. Some of the public events that pop off have enemies that are damn near raid boss strong. 

Listening to the clear annoyance in Datto's and Aztek's voices as they talk about the new Hunter exotic helmet coming in Beyond Light amuses me. I can't believe anyone has the balls to keep pretending Hunters are overpowered or anything after fucking Guardian games where Hunters were dead last in usage. Whenever I play PvP fellow Hunters are the class I'm least afraid of. Most of our exotics are not over powered at all, and the ones that were have their main usage in PvE. There is some neat stuff you can do, but you kind of have to be at the top of the PvP food chain to truly make that shit work. Meanwhile even after multiple nerfs Titans and Warlocks still are the deadliest players I run into with their ability to fucking fly and use supers where they can throw more than 3 one-hit kill projectiles that they don't even have to aim well with. 

Also caught multiple vids talking about the armor changes. Elemental limitations for weapon mods are going away. Sounds like many of them are gettign slight buffs as well so they can feel more useful instead of players feeling the need to double up. The raid armor changes amuse me ever so slightly as its just a bit of a finger to everyone who went out of their way to get certain armor and mods this season. At the same time seems like neither Datto or Azteck hate it. The things that pleases me is that exotic armor is finally getting a slot for those seasonal mods which seem also be sticking around and being changed to combat style mods. Every 2.0 armor from the last year will be able to use any of those seasonal mods come Beyond Light.

Have to say I do agree with Azteck that with all the story teasing, numerous exotics, and big changes on the horizon it feels like Beyond Light will be more like Forsaken in scope than Shadow Keep. That will please if that is the case. I didn't dislike Shadow Keep, but I didn't quite think I got my money's worth either with the amount of content they provided.

The thing about Hunters (specifically what Datto and Aztec always talk about) is in PvP not PvE.

And giving Hunters something that can keep them cloaked for even longer can definitely become an issue... if they didn't test it properly (which is entirely possible)

Another thing in TWIB is that they are completely overhauling the "New Light" experience. Now it will be a longer experience to introduce the mechanics and the Cosmodrome (complete with a new NPC named Shaw Han). Old players will be able to go through the story missions too

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The thing about Hunters (specifically what Datto and Aztec always talk about) is in PvP not PvE.

So am I. Hunters are the weakest class in PvP. None of our shit hits as hard or has had the need to be nerfed multiple times because of how unfair it was unlike Titans and Warlocks. When Datto & Aztec are losing to Hunters in PvP they are losing to guys who they would lose to in any class. Neither seems to understand that and simply think Hunters are somehow overpowered. Its ridiculous.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And giving Hunters something that can keep them cloaked for even longer can definitely become an issue... if they didn't test it properly (which is entirely possible)

Going off the vid the cloak is actually pretty short compared to normal invisibility. Invisibility is also pretty useless in PvP outside of disappearing from radar for a bit. Be it the super, smoke bomb, or general dodge you are very visible to players when you cloak. I have killed many Hunters trying to use invisibility.

I have killed many a Hunter going invis too and that doesn't mean they still aren't annoying as shit to deal with (and clearly we won't know anything about the new exotic until actually playing it)

It is always a matter of perspective. Everyone always thinks the class they main in unfairly treated why some other class has it great. (There is also biases like since Hunters are the largest class - Bungie favors them. Or because a couple of devs main Hunters - they are the favorite). The truth will always be somewhere in the middle.

For you its Hunters. For me its Titans

I mean I damn for sure thing Titans supers are punished in PvE as the is no way when I pop a full super I should be able to be one shotted yet someone pops a Spectral Blades and I two tap them, they keep on trucking like nothing happened. Not two mention that Hunters still have two roaming supers that are broken (Though, I wish JT was here to rage about how Blade Barrage was never given the same treatment as Spectral Blades and Arc Staff)

My chunky Titan ass would definitely trade our "hard hitting" in PvE for some of the mobility automatically granted to a Hunter. Unless I am forgetting - Hunters didn't get their Dodge nerfed like Titans had their shoulder tackle nerfed. Not that I am bitter about that or anything.

And since I also play as a Warlock - I definitely know they have it worse than both Titans and Hunters

I agree that its a matter of perspective to some degree, but considering how douchey Bungie acted during the Guardian Games its a little hard to deny Hunters have some bias against them at the company. 

Few things, I'm not sure how you think Hunter roaming supers are broken. They got the same defense nerfs Titan and Warlock roaming supers got. They also have limits on speed that make them easier to run away from. Honestly Titans and Warlock roaming supers have more maneuverability and distance with their supers. If you are having issues on the X-box with those supers then its likely a bug or a slow server. I know I've had direct shots that didn't register until after the fact on the PS4. Titans still one shot me and others with ease with those damn hammers. 

Titans' shoulder tackle was a one-shot ability that they didn't even have to aim well to kill an opponent. A Hunter dodge is a dodge. There is no real reason for that to ever be nerfed.

Edited by Eivion

Funny you mention that. That video actually got me thinking - "What is the story of Destiny." The furthest I could get was the Traveler came to Earth, things got really good, we colonized and terraformed other planets, and then evil alien races invaded and those evil alien races are unlike the Covenant in Halo in that the races in Destiny seem to hate each other.

Anything beyond that seems like it's real flimsy. I don't recall an explanation for where the evil alien races came from, if humans tried to figure out what the Traveler was (seems like they just accepted it, which is very un-human like), which alien race is the strongest (I thought it was the Cabal, but it's hard to argue against the Vex, what with their abilities to travel time and shit), etc.

I've been trying to mow through everything I possibly can ahead of Beyond Light because I'm afraid of missing out on content. I'm definitely going to miss out on raids because I haven't had the time to dedicate to one so I may just have to rely on YouTube videos for those. In going through all of the different expansions though, I honestly couldn't tell you who is who and what is going on. I swear I had finished up with the Forsaken expansion because it seemed like you wind up killing that prince dude who killed Cayde, but the other day I thought that I should complete a weapon quest for Forsaken and lo and behold it's actually even more story beats.

There must be a YouTube video that tries to best organize the complete Destiny storyline up to this point, but I'm too lazy to look. For now, I'm just kinda satisfied at what the story in Beyond Light is, even if all of those pyramids are still everywhere.

There are SEVERAL lore Youtube channels but you really don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

I mean for me My name is BYF is probably the best but his current "story so far" video is almost 4 hours.

If you just want to read the parts that interest you - destinypedia is the best resource. Just pick and choose as you please

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Funny you mention that. That video actually got me thinking - "What is the story of Destiny." The furthest I could get was the Traveler came to Earth, things got really good, we colonized and terraformed other planets, and then evil alien races invaded and those evil alien races are unlike the Covenant in Halo in that the races in Destiny seem to hate each other.

Anything beyond that seems like it's real flimsy. I don't recall an explanation for where the evil alien races came from, if humans tried to figure out what the Traveler was (seems like they just accepted it, which is very un-human like), which alien race is the strongest (I thought it was the Cabal, but it's hard to argue against the Vex, what with their abilities to travel time and shit), etc.

To quickly answer this regarding the Traveler and the other species

The Traveler chose the Sol System and humanity for reasons unknown.

It previously had been where the Fallen lived and then left. When it left, the Fallen followed it, thus is how they got to the Sol System

Emperor Calus most likely was the Cabal who learned about the Traveler and is what first lead to them entering the system (specifically Mars). And Ghaul is all pissy at the start of Destiny 2 because the Traveler had never chosen the Cabal

The Hive are something of a baby between the Darkness and the Worm Gods. It is possible they were around before the Pyramids showed up in the collapse. I can't remember exactly. They are just known for being an "ancient" race

The Vex are time traveling machines hell bent on war. I once tried to read the Lore book that explained how they really started and it made my head scream in pain.

A lot of this stuff is from Destiny so they don't really re-explain it in Destiny 2. They also use a lot of the million year old characters (think Saint 14 and Osiris) to try and fill in the gaps.

• Like 2